• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Fralex

Smash Rookie
Man, Shantae can't seem to catch a break. They had all this trouble convincing someone to fund the game ("OK, so, your idea for a dancing genie girl is nice, but does she have to dance, and does she have to be a girl? Can't you, like, at least make her more tough or sexy or something?"), then they make a really good game for the GBC, which is mostly ignored due to the GBA having already come out, then she fades into obscurity for several years, after which WayForward makes two more Shantae games, each better than the last. I really hope her Kickstarted game finally gives her series the attention it deserves, these really have been overlooked gems for too long. Can't Shantae just... have this? Please?

(FUN FACT: You know you need to get some sleep when you start talking about a fictional character like she's a real person and don't want to go through the effort of editing the post to sound less like a weirdo. Oh well, first impression on a new forum GO!)

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I mean.
I was still in my bed.
So... you're entertaining when you're still in your bed?:troll:
Grammar nazism aside, I do agree that Bandana Dee should've been in that poll. Too late now, though.
Opposing "pole" and "poll" has nothing to do with grammar "nazism". It's about orthography.

Man, Shantae can't seem to catch a break. They had all this trouble convincing someone to fund the game ("OK, so, your idea for a dancing genie girl is nice, but does she have to dance, and does she have to be a girl? Can't you, like, at least make her more tough or sexy or something?"), then they make a really good game for the GBC, which is mostly ignored due to the GBA having already come out, then she fades into obscurity for several years, after which WayForward makes two more Shantae games, each better than the last. I really hope her Kickstarted game finally gives her series the attention it deserves, these really have been overlooked gems for too long. Can't Shantae just... have this? Please?

(FUN FACT: You know you need to get some sleep when you start talking about a fictional character like she's a real person and don't want to go through the effort of editing the post to sound less like a weirdo. Oh well, first impression on a new forum GO!)

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

So many new members. Welcome to the thread, and hope you enjoy it here on SmashBoards.

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927
So I have a theory. 1/2 Genie Hero still doesn't have a release date, and the ballot ends in October... Wouldn't it be awesome if WayForward put out a 1/2 Genie Hero trailer with a release date and 3-5 minutes before the video ends, the screen goes black... sudden Smash trailer for Shantae. It'll never happen, but it would be amazing.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Man... That poll makes me happy; Shantae is the Number 1 Third Party character on that poll, only beaten by King K.Rool, which pleases me since it shows how much people want her over other characters. :D

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
I like making hypothetical Smash Bros things, like Character Recoulers, the Roster, Stages, etc. It's fun to me to imagine because I adore this game. I made these 8 Shantae Recoulers.

Credit for original art goes to smashified!

1 - Original
2 - Classic
3 - Tan
4 - Pirate's Curse
5 - Risky Boots
6 - Rottytops
7 - Blue (dancer?)
8 - Gold
I've never even played a Shantae game but she seems like a good smash addition to me

(update: rottytops recolour legs made better)

Independant pictures:

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I like making hypothetical Smash Bros things, like Character Recoulers, the Roster, Stages, etc. It's fun to me to imagine because I adore this game. I made these 8 Shantae Recoulers.

Credit for original art goes to smashified!

1 - Original
2 - Classic
3 - Tan
4 - Pirate's Curse
5 - Risky Boots
6 - Rottytops
7 - Blue (dancer?)
8 - Yellow
I've never even played a Shantae game but she seems like a good smash addition to me

Independant pictures:
(i know the legs look a little weird)
Gold and Blue ouftit is superior for me. Goes with my Golden Roy Boy.

Also, fix your spoiler tag.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Where does the poll come from? (who started it?)

There's not really that many options on it huh.. still voted or Shantae.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well I beat the first dungeon in Shantae. I find it funny how Shantae pretty much says "YEEOW!" in that pixelly voice when something hits her.. XD

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
So I have a theory. 1/2 Genie Hero still doesn't have a release date, and the ballot ends in October... Wouldn't it be awesome if WayForward put out a 1/2 Genie Hero trailer with a release date and 3-5 minutes before the video ends, the screen goes black... sudden Smash trailer for Shantae. It'll never happen, but it would be amazing.
Never say never

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys feel about the heavy amount of Wolf supporters? Personally I don't like the character in both StarFox or in Smash so it just feels meh to me

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How do you guys feel about the heavy amount of Wolf supporters? Personally I don't like the character in both StarFox or in Smash so it just feels meh to me
He's a veteran. People miss his playstyle and wish him back. Roy wouldn't have come back otherwise. I'd be surprised if he's not added, frankly.

Shantae or Krystal though... Why do I have to choose?

Last edited:

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
The rumors of there only being two ballot characters worries me because of the high amount of supporters for Wolf and K. Rook is all. Not that that means they immediately get in but still.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
:/ Shantae and the Pirate's Curse never went on a good deal this steam summer sale. Really wanted to try that, but I guess I can wait

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
To be honest I would laugh so hard at the panic that would ensue when those two "slots" end up getting filled by pre-ballot fighters... it doesn't make sense to me for them to just draw a single dang fighter from the ballot... why gather all that data (I mean it's probably gonna have millions of votes, and a lot of good points to why they should be in..) just to waste it and add a single character and trash it? They would be better off just adding something themselves rather than go through all this hassle if they plan on doing that...

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
To be honest I would laugh so hard at the panic that would ensue when those two "slots" end up getting filled by pre-ballot fighters... it doesn't make sense to me for them to just draw a single dang fighter from the ballot... why gather all that data (I mean it's probably gonna have millions of votes, and a lot of good points to why they should be in..) just to waste it and add a single character and trash it? They would be better off just adding something themselves rather than go through all this hassle if they plan on doing that...
Whatever. I voted Shantae and now I'm crossing my fingers not expecting anything. That's all.

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Probably for future reference for the next game.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Whatever. I voted Shantae and now I'm crossing my fingers not expecting anything. That's all.
Basically, I just mean there has to be a reason for it... I mean, I would assume of the many entries for example, King K. Rool would definitely be a very dominant force in the data (and I'd be surprised if he didn't end up in..)..... even then, the point is: Why? We already know King K. Rool is a character many fans have begged for since melee, and that it has a very large (and loud for that matter XD) campaign pushing for the character. No one would need a ballot to be able to see just how much demand is present for that classic villain... That said, Nintendo would have known already who would end up winning in this case (whether K. Rool or another dominant fan favorite).. which would make the point of the entire ballot worthless, and a waste of the fanbase's time...

Probably for future reference for the next game.
Exactly. If ANYTHING ELSE, if they were really planning on just pulling a single character from the ballot for DLC, it would make much more sense if that data was going to be kept and considered for newcomers in a theoretical Smash 5..

Either case, I'm still hoping we're all just over thinking it, and those slots don't mean a single dang thing and fans are reading into things too much XD

Pyropuppet

Smash Cadet
Exactly. Ridley's size isn't what defines his character either. There's the fact he is the leader of the space pirates, the most prominent, recurring enemy of Samus in the game... the fact he killed her parents..

To me, at this point the thing keeping him out is bias. Some probably jumped on the "HE'S TOO BIG!?!??!!" bandwagon due to the "MAH SLOTS" type fans, who fear their favorite character would be stood up by a purple alien dragon.. I'm sure there are some that might agree (for what ever reason..).. but the point still stands. The Ridley campaign is probably the most detracted campaign in Smash history, yet most of it's points could easily have been said about other characters.... yet they weren't.

I dunno. Maybe some day when Ridley isn't regarded as "just some boss from Metroid", Metroid might get a new character... (And Samus will have her Bowser... :/)

I digressed a bit though. Anyway... that wound would definitely heal if we got Shantae though c:
I know this is a few days old, but this just perfectly sums up my feelings.

Fralex

Smash Rookie
I feel like it would be sort of pointless to use this big ballot to just add a character that's already been in Smash, especially one that is very similar an existing character. The ballot is a chance to shake things up and add someone different who wouldn't ordinarily get the chance! It's for adding something new! I don't want it to be wasted on making the game more like the prequels, that's just regular DLC stuff the creators can do any time at minimal risk, like they did with Mewtwo and Lucas. It's not what this ballot is for, in my view.

(we need someone new, someone bold, someone unexpected. Someone... like https://twitter.com/MrBozon/status/600562702080024578/photo/1)

Last edited:

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
I assumed Wolf would be back pre-ballot. We got Lucas and Roy, why not Wolf before October? If it wasn't for the leaks we wouldn't have assumed Roy to ever have come back. I got a gut feeling Wolf is in progress, just without the leaks.

Also yeah I agree with @ F Fralex , the ballot is kinda pointless if it's just characters we've already seen.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I assumed Wolf would be back pre-ballot. We got Lucas and Roy, why not Wolf before October? If it wasn't for the leaks we wouldn't have assumed Roy to ever have come back. I got a gut feeling Wolf is in progress, just without the leaks.

Also yeah I agree with @ F Fralex , the ballot is kinda pointless if it's just characters we've already seen.
You know.. even now one thing still confuses me about those leaks...

How were they released with the patches in the first place?.. I mean the patchs were for Mewtwo compatibility, and later for Lucas. Surely Nintendo would have known people are always there ready to data mine that stuff looking for any traces of suspicious stuff...

(And for that matter, why would they even need to put the pieces of data on there? I mean I could buy it as an accident the first time... but leaking VICTORY VIDEOS in the patch immediately after the first?... thats a little odd...)

That said, surely they wouldn't plan something like this right.... or would they? :/

Last edited:

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
You know.. even now one thing still confuses me about those leaks...

How were they released with the patches in the first place?.. I mean the patchs were for Mewtwo compatibility, and later for Lucas. Surely Nintendo would have known people are always there ready to data mine that stuff looking for any traces of suspicious stuff...

(And for that matter, why would they even need to put the pieces of data on there? I mean I could buy it as an accident the first time... but leaking VICTORY VIDEOS in the patch immediately after the first?... thats a little odd...)

That said, surely they wouldn't plan something like this right.... or would they? :/
It's a conspiracy I tells ya.:crazy:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I may not be the majority, but it feels like a waste of potential to only release veteran fighters. I'd rather see new characters, wouldn't that be more exciting? I guess some people actually liked Wolf. Nintendo would have to release Wolf and Krystal, to get Krystal, I think. If it'd be just Krystal instead of Wolf that'd be funny (to me) though :D

Top Bottom