• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
These were the Japanese survey results I saw.. I dunno where Shantae or Bnajo would be, didn't list them.

http://i.imgur.com/n7r4EaG.png
I still find it sad that Ridley is more supported in Japan than overall in the west, when the west was supporting him much more than the east before that mod was made. But then again, it was all thanks to the Ridley mod for PM, made by BaganSmashBros.

Last edited:

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927
Yet they voted for Agitha...
I've noticed they seem to like outlandish characters. Tingle for example.
These were the Japanese survey results I saw.. I dunno where Shantae or Bnajo would be, didn't list them.

http://i.imgur.com/n7r4EaG.png
Yeah Shantae and Banjo were really low, but from what I've seen more people support her than the bear. Speaking of outlandish characters I constantly forget that they LOVE the bandanna Waddle Dee over there. He's basically the Roy of Japan right now.
Edit: By that I mean that you either love the idea of him in Smash or you think it'd be a pointless addition. Though seeing how fast everyone changed their opinion of Roy....

Last edited:

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice

Yeah Shantae and Banjo were really low, but from what I've seen more people support her than the bear. Speaking of outlandish characters I constantly forget that they LOVE the bandanna Waddle Dee over there. He's basically the Roy of Japan right now.
Well he's too adorbs. Plus he's a must have for Smash eventually so they must be thinking, why not now?

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Well, Tingle is highly loved in Japan, like, love love him, like a mascot or something compared to the west that outright hate him (I blame Wind Waker for that, sadly).

And well, I should also point out I think it's a case of there that they really like cute characters as well, hence why Pichu is still liked so much.

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Shantae and Banjo were really low, but from what I've seen more people support her than the bear.
Good for you Japan. Knowing who to vote for.

Actually scratch that you aren't voting for Shantae enough. Fix that.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Am I the only one, regardless of Smash talk, that would love to see Banjo get back on his feet? I really hope Yooka-Laylee ends up being a hit. Maybe if Microsoft couldn't get anything useful out of em maybe they might sell em to Playtonic or something, and the dang franchise CAN ACTUALLY START GETTING GAMES AGAIN -_-....

I still find it sad that Ridley is more supported in Japan than overall in the west, when the west was supporting him much more than the east before that mod was made. But then again, it was all thanks to the Ridley mod for PM, made by BaganSmashBros.
It's not really that the support is gone. Many of them just gave up hope after Sakurai sided with the "HE'S TOO BIG!!!" contractors.. :/ They still want him in, I am sure. (Even with Roy and Mewtwo being in Project M, that didn't change the fact that fans still wanted them back in an actual title..)

Oh, my b. It's this one.
Hmm.. I'll see what I can do when I get around to it. For now I've had a lot on my plate! I should have something by at least tomorrow! (I've been running all over the place to day, off and on from my laptop)

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Am I the only one, regardless of Smash talk, that would love to see Banjo get back on his feet? I really hope Yooka-Laylee ends up being a hit. Maybe if Microsoft couldn't get anything useful out of em maybe they might sell em to Playtonic or something, and the dang franchise CAN ACTUALLY START GETTING GAMES AGAIN -_-....

It's not really that the support is gone. Many of them just gave up hope after Sakurai sided with the "HE'S TOO BIG!!!" contractors.. :/ They still want him in, I am sure. (Even with Roy and Mewtwo being in Project M, that didn't change the fact that fans still wanted them back in an actual title..)

Hmm.. I'll see what I can do when I get around to it. For now I've had a lot on my plate! I should have something by at least tomorrow! (I've been running all over the place to day, off and on from my laptop)
Yeah, even though I've never played a B&K game before, I'd like him to return to his proper glory, imo.

Also, yeah, you're right about that. But I hope someday the fans get what they want for Metroid fan's case.

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927
Yeah, even though I've never played a B&K game before, I'd like him to return to his proper glory, imo.

Also, yeah, you're right about that. But I hope someday the fans get what they want for Metroid fan's case.
Metroid? What's that? I think you mean that FPS series Nintendo thinks the fans want.
Edit: Joking of course. I'm really not happy about what they've been doing to Metroid but I'm not going to sign a petition to stop the game. Shantae has been giving me satisfaction where Metroid has left me dry.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Metroid? What's that? I think you mean that FPS series Nintendo thinks the fans want.
Edit: Joking of course. I'm really not happy about what they've been doing to Metroid but I'm not going to sign a petition to stop the game. Shantae has been giving me satisfaction where Metroid has left me dry.
You mean the harmless 3DS spinoff title being created until a real metroid title gets made on the NX? The one fans are freaking out over and petitioning thinking it will somehow magically make a new Metroid title poof into existence?

(http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06...-game-not-likely-until-nintendos-next-console)

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I don't know if that's a jab at Prime Fed Force, or the actual Prime games, with, since the west is who at this point really cares about Metroid still compared to the east, technically, yes, the fans do want more of the 1st person kind of Metroid games, before also the 2D ones as well, to continue the plot of Metroid Fusion.

You mean the harmless 3DS spinoff title being created until a real metroid title gets made on the NX? The one fans are freaking out over and petitioning thinking it will somehow magically make a new Metroid title poof into existence?

(http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06...-game-not-likely-until-nintendos-next-console)
I still think that thing is pointless and stupid. I understand why it's done, I understand that this wasn't the best way to bring back the series, but I don't follow this way to show your disappointment, imo.

Last edited:

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927
Nah. It was a jab at Other M, Hunters, and Fed Force. Other M was kind of what we wanted but executed poorly, Hunters was just bad, and Fed Force looks like Hunters with better control.
As for this supposed NX title, we can't confirm that, especially not with Metroid. While it's true that in order to survive the NX will need a huge launch, Metroid isn't usually their go-to series for launch titles. I predict a new Mario, two Mario spin offs, a Zelda title and maybe a Pokemon title/spin off.
Edit: I'm going to TRY Fed Force regardless, as it could surprise me. Who knows.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Nah. It was a jab at Other M, Hunters, and Fed Force. Other M was kind of what we wanted but executed poorly, Hunters was just bad, and Fed Force looks like Hunters with better control.
As for this supposed NX title, we can't confirm that, especially not with Metroid. While it's true that in order to survive the NX will need a huge launch Metroid isn't usually their go-to series for launch titles. I predict a new Mario, two Mari spin offs, a Zelda title and maybe a Pokemon title/spin off.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Prime 1 a launch title for the Gamecube? I thought it was, but I could be wrong about that.

Also, Pokemon title on the console? Pokemon Delta Emerald/XD 2 confirmed. PLZ.

Last edited:

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Prime 1 a launch title for the Gamecube? I thought it was, but I could be wrong about that.

Also, Pokemon title on the console? Pokemon Delta Emerald/XD 2 confirmed. PLZ.
I don't remember if it was or wasn't. I think it may have been, but that would be the only game in the series. I say Pokemon because the NX is supposedly killing off the Wii U and 3DS, seeing as it can play mobile games.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I don't know if that's a jab at Prime Fed Force, or the actual Prime games, with, since the west is who at this point really cares about Metroid still compared to the east, technically, yes, the fans do want more of the 1st person kind of Metroid games, before also the 2D ones as well, to continue the plot of Metroid Fusion.
To be honest, this whole thing is really in a bad situation... There is one issue that Metroid has in general: It technically has an ending...

Metroid Fusion technically, in a chronological sense is the last game in the timeline (what with the Metroids pretty much being definitely history at this point, and Samus with a new suit). That is especially an issue. Either two things have to happen when a new title is made:

1. They make titles that take place before this title, in between other entries in the franchise (and obviously they can only do this for so long.)

2. They retcon Fusion completely, and provide a more clean slate for future titles.

Anyway, at the moment, in a sense the series is seperated into two parts. The classic series and the Prime series (Which I guess isn't as bad as Sonic, which is divided into like 20 different styles XD)

The issue in general is the fact Metroid titles tend to develop slowly in general... I mean it's not the first time Metroid has gone through an entire console without a title.. (Looking at you N64... -_-). Due to this, it's definitely not a surprise fans would get impatient.. (especially with some other franchises dishing out at a faster rate)

Anyways all that aside.. God forbid the next Prime title ends up not meeting peoples expectations, otherwise fans will REALLY lose their marbles XD

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure people wouldn't have minded the game if it was around the time a Metroid title
is made. People have even admitted this to be the reason they hate the game so much is that it was made during an 8 year wait for a good Metroid title. It's like, "I would have liked this game 8 years ago but because it came out now I hate it." IMO it's absolutely rediculous.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I don't remember if it was or wasn't. I think it may have been, but that would be the only game in the series. I say Pokemon because the NX is supposedly killing off the Wii U and 3DS, seeing as it can play mobile games.
I have heard that the NX isn't intended to be a replacement for either of the two consoles, but rather a companion. (and for that matter it has been confirmed to not be a Mobile phone based console). Have no idea if this will be the case...

This has actually happened before. As an example the DS line wasn't originally intended to replace the Gameboy line. The DS was originally intended to be a side console to the Gameboy.. but the DS ended up proving so popular, that the Gameboy ended up being shelved in favor of the new DS line.

Whether or not NX could meet the same fate? Who knows at this point.

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927
To be honest, this whole thing is really in a bad situation... There is one issue that Metroid has in general: It technically has an ending...

Metroid Fusion technically, in a chronological sense is the last game in the timeline (what with the Metroids pretty much being definitely history at this point, and Samus with a new suit). That is especially an issue. Either two things have to happen when a new title is made:

1. They make titles that take place before this title, in between other entries in the franchise (and obviously they can only do this for so long.)

2. They retcon Fusion completely, and provide a more clean slate for future titles.

Anyway, at the moment, in a sense the series is seperated into two parts. The classic series and the Prime series (Which I guess isn't as bad as Sonic, which is divided into like 20 different styles XD)

The issue in general is the fact Metroid titles tend to develop slowly in general... I mean it's not the first time Metroid has gone through an entire console without a title.. (Looking at you N64... -_-). Due to this, it's definitely not a surprise fans would get impatient.. (especially with some other franchises dishing out at a faster rate)

Anyways all that aside.. God forbid the next Prime title ends up not meeting peoples expectations, otherwise fans will REALLY lose their marbles XD
Metroid Prime 4: The Return of Adam
In this Metroid game, you play as Master Cheif in a Samus suit, but Adam has restricted all of your weapons, including your basic beam and morphball, so your primary goal is to survive until you reach the final boss, Mother Brain where Adam gives you permission to use the Morph Ball and Power Bombs, but the game doesn't tell you. The entire soundtrack is the low health sound effect from the first Metroid game.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
I would love to see them back in action again as much as the next guy. Yeah, they should just give up said rights to someone else if they're not "using" them anymore.
Manic Rykker said:
Great, I appreciate it!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Whoops... For a minute there I almost forgot this was a Shantae thread XD....

Sorry guys >_<

Anyway, plan on playing some more Shantae later.. hopefully I don't lose that last life in like five seconds :D

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I'm sure people wouldn't have minded the game if it was around the time a Metroid title
is made. People have even admitted this to be the reason they hate the game so much is that it was made during an 8 year wait for a good Metroid title. It's like, "I would have liked this game 8 years ago but because it came out now I hate it." IMO it's absolutely rediculous.
It's not. If people had waited 8 years for the next platforming Mario title and had gotten a coop game starring Waluigi instead, you'd get those reactions too, and with good reason.

If you bring me Kraft Dinner while I'm not that hungry, I'll say "OK" and eat it; however, if I wait a while, whetting my appetite *and* expecting a filet mignon, and you still bring me Kraft Dinner, I'll be disappointed and express my discontentment. It's simply a question of disappointment.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
It's not. If people had waited 8 years for the next platforming Mario title and had gotten a coop game starring Waluigi instead, you'd get those reactions too, and with good reason.

If you bring me Kraft Dinner while I'm not that hungry, I'll say "OK" and eat it; however, if I wait a while, whetting my appetite *and* expecting a filet mignon, and you still bring me Kraft Dinner, I'll be disappointed and express my discontentment. It's simply a question of disappointment.
It's one thing when you are disappointed on something. It's another thing if you petition for the cancellation of something just because of that discontent...

I mean I just don't understand that. Petitioning a dang handheld spinoff game isn't going to make a new Metroid title magically poof into existence -_-

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
It's one thing when you are disappointed on something. It's another thing if you petition for the cancellation of something just because of that discontent...

I mean I just don't understand that. Petitioning a dang handheld spinoff game isn't going to make a new Metroid title magically poof into existence -_-
Let's call the petition an overreaction from disappointed people. Such behaviour is expected of children, who are generally more prone to emotional outbursts than adults and tend to complain about trivial things because they are not burdened with responsibilities.

Manakete[_]Lotys

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9647-4927

I think it was more meant to be a "Step back and try again" rather than a "You were wrong, drop everything and give us what we want." It just so happened that the method they used to show this wasn't the best they could have used.
Edit: Then when people started to join in on the petition the intent became more negative than intended. I suppose it just kind of snowballed until it became a really negative reaction to what honestly was just Nintendo once again having bad timing.

Last edited:

LittleToys

Smash Cadet
Im pretty sure Nintendo has a Metroid game cooking up in the lab for Wii U but who knows. I personally would like a new F-zero game or a HD remake of Gx even though the cutscenes in that game's story mode were so bad.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
I was roaming around the web and found this.on 4chan

I wish.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Last I checked, Japan was laughing at how stupid some of the Western audiences votes were. I could go check that forum poll again to see if any one character sticks out. Last time it was something along the lines of Agitha or someone else from Zelda.
It's bad when someone can insult my country and I can't even get mad... because they're right. The one thing I fear is that Sakurai might look at Shantae's mostly western support and lump her in with the likes of Shovel Knight, Goku, Shrek, and all the other stupid characters the 10-yr-old westerners are voting for...

EDIT: And don't forget Master Chief

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
It's bad when someone can insult my country and I can't even get mad... because they're right. The one thing I fear is that Sakurai might look at Shantae's mostly western support and lump her in with the likes of Shovel Knight, Goku, Shrek, and all the other stupid characters the 10-yr-old westerners are voting for...
To be fair, Shovel I could see happening... I mean he seems like he'd be a funny character... I'd see him getting in IF he had more games under his belt though. So far he has had what? A single title? He just seems to young of a series to me. (If it can even be called that yet..)

As for Goku and Shrek... the former is more of an anime character to me (he does have games, but most of those aren't even Nintendo. I think ONE DB game was on 3DS.. and that had kid Goku.) The latter is not only a troll vote, but also not even a Video game character.

Shantae has a lot more titles under her belt, a large moveset pool, yada yada. She seems like she'd be much more likely, at least to me.

Not even gonna bother with that last one... XD

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I was roaming around the web and found this.on 4chan

I wish.
Well, that was fast. Looks like Omni's up to his old tricks again, I see. :troll:

But really though, I wish though they edited her image closer up on her face, so if could look better by comparison, imo. But it seem Omni's render does look good to the likes of the official stuff, so props to the guy.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well, that was fast. Looks like Omni's up to his old tricks again, I see. :troll:

But really though, I wish though they edited her image closer up on her face, so if could look better by comparison, imo. But it seem Omni's render does look good to the likes of the official stuff, so props to the guy.
Yep. It could definitely fool some people.

If Smashified weren't a thing anyway.. XD

LittleToys

Smash Cadet
To be fair, Shovel I could see happening... I mean he seems like he'd be a funny character... I'd see him getting in IF he had more games under his belt though. So far he has had what? A single title? He just seems to young of a series to me. (If it can even be called that yet..)

As for Goku and Shrek... the former is more of an anime character to me (he does have games, but most of those aren't even Nintendo. I think ONE DB game was on 3DS.. and that had kid Goku.) The latter is not only a troll vote, but also not even a Video game character.

Shantae has a lot more titles under her belt, a large moveset pool, yada yada. She seems like she'd be much more likely, at least to me.

Not even gonna bother with that last one... XD
Yeah i agree if shovel knight had more games then id be open for him to join smash but Shantae first.
I think there were some dragon ball z games on the gamecube but still i dont want him in smash.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Did so. Even though it's a small poll, it's nice to see that she's in second (at the time of this post).

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yet another FRIGGIN poll that completely ignores Bandana Dee despite being the 2nd most thriving DLC character thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom