• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well. I have a few arguments pegged so far. Check em out:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Shantae is too obscure"

This "obscurity" so many contractors bring up is very unjustified.. Her obscurity in the industry can primarily be singled out to just bad luck. Her first game, "Shantae" (2002), was for the gameboy color... As you might notice by the year, this was near the end of the handhelds life. This caused Shantae to see a limited release.. A shame for such a good game (and later for such a good series). The poor girl unfortunately wouldn't see a sequel for eight years because of all this.. Risky's Revenge, in 2010. Many other Shantae fans will agree with me she deserves much more exposure in the industry, and will agree they are happy they stumbled upon the series.

"Shantae is an indie character! There's no way she could get in!"

This may be so by today's standards, but she hardly feels indie when you look at her games...

Shantae = Gameboy Color 2002
Shantae: Risky's Revenge = DSiWare (Also had ports for iOS and Steam later, but still..) 2010
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse = Wii U AND 3DS 2014
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero = Wii U (Still in development)

Notice any pattern here? 99% of the games are on Nintendo consoles.. (Save for Risky's Revenge, and even those were just later ports) Awfully dedicated for an indie character.. (Heck some could even go as far to call her First Party Indie at this point). She is much more than "just an indie character". She has been with Nintendo for a very long time, has a lot of history with them, and has been very loyal.

"Shantae is an indie/3rd Party character! They would have to jump through too many hoops, and deal with too much licensing issues to get her in."

Thats not valid any longer. Wayforward, the company that produces the Shantae games, is ALL FOR her presence in smash. Don't believe me? Check this out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1187315

Seems like it wouldn't be an issue to me... they even made possible alternate costumes she could use.

"What would she do? She hardly seems like she would bring much to the game."

Hardly true. Her games provide her with many options for a unique and effective moveset. From her transformation abilities, to the Pirate gear she had access to in Pirate's Curse.. She even has access to magic.

"When do you hear people talking about wanting Shantae be in the game before the Fighter Ballot was announced."

Same thing could be said for a lot of characters... The support and desire for these characters has always been there.. the ballot just caused it to boil to the surface.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If any of you have any other possible arguments to add, feel free to shoot em up. I would love to add them to this! We need all the defences we can get.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Well. I have a few arguments pegged so far. Check em out:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Shantae is too obscure"

This "obscurity" so many contractors bring up is very unjustified.. Her obscurity in the industry can primarily be singled out to just bad luck. Her first game, "Shantae" (2002), was for the gameboy color... As you might notice by the year, this was near the end of the handhelds life. This caused Shantae to see a limited release.. A shame for such a good game (and later for such a good series). The poor girl unfortunately wouldn't see a sequel for eight years because of all this.. Risky's Revenge, in 2010. Many other Shantae fans will agree with me she deserves much more exposure in the industry, and will agree they are happy they stumbled upon the series.

"Shantae is an indie character! There's no way she could get in!"

This may be so by today's standards, but she hardly feels indie when you look at her games...

Shantae: Risky's Revenge = DSiWare (Also had ports for iOS and Steam later, but still..) 2010

Notice any pattern here? 99% of the games are on Nintendo consoles.. (Save for Risky's Revenge, and even those were just later ports) Awfully dedicated for an indie character.. (Heck some could even go as far to call her First Party Indie at this point). She is much more than "just an indie character". She has been with Nintendo for a very long time, has a lot of history with them, and has been very loyal.

"Shantae is an indie/3rd Party character! They would have to jump through too many hoops, and deal with too much licensing issues to get her in."

Thats not valid any longer. Wayforward, the company that produces the Shantae games, is ALL FOR her presence in smash. Don't believe me? Check this out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1187315

Seems like it wouldn't be an issue to me... they even made possible alternate costumes she could use.

"What would she do? She hardly seems like she would bring much to the game."

Hardly true. Her games provide her with many options for a unique and effective moveset. From her transformation abilities, to the Pirate gear she had access to in Pirate's Curse.. She even has access to magic.

"When do you hear people talking about wanting Shantae be in the game before the Fighter Ballot was announced."

Same thing could be said for a lot of characters... The support and desire for these characters has always been there.. the ballot just caused it to boil to the surface.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If any of you have any other possible arguments to add, feel free to shoot em up. I would love to add them to this! We need all the defences we can get.
Would you mid if i add these to the new OP i'm making?

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Would you mid if i add these to the new OP i'm making?
Not at all! :p

I plan on adding to this though as I think of more arguments to tackle... also if anyone adds anything to the mix too, so I'll provide updates to the list as we push forward. I'll give you a mention so you'll be able to see em in later posts, when that time comes

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
...Oh wow. *Facepalms* I forgot something in the obscurity argument... I'll paste it in a later message when I get it fixed... I'm such a doof XD

Last edited:

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Hey, all.
In regards to Shantae in Smash, I found this bit of information from a comment on Wayforward's recent update.

"Nintendo has listed Shantae as a "near impossible" addition as they said it will be very hard to actually get the rights...even though Wayforward them want her in -.-...i think Nintendo is just being lazy"

This has officially set my determination ablaze.
I'm pretty sure it's just some hater who doesn't want her in the game. Trust me, I've been encountering a few people who hate Shantae for the stupidest reasons, and would do ANYTHING to keep her away from anything Smash related. Besides, I've searched different web pages, and Wayforward hasn't said anything about Shantae being "near impossible." Plus, Wayforward has given the rights to Nintendo to put her in the game. She's had a huge history and relationship with Nintendo, after all. So I would just ignore it.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

I plan on adding to this though as I think of more arguments to tackle... also if anyone adds anything to the mix too, so I'll provide updates to the list as we push forward. I'll give you a mention so you'll be able to see em in later posts, when that time comes
GREAT!

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
I'm also a Shantae supporter. I really want her in Smash, and casted my vote for her the day the ballot opened up. So can I join the support? :)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure it's just some hater who doesn't want her in the game. Trust me, I've been encountering a few people who hate Shantae for the stupidest reasons, and would do ANYTHING to keep her away from anything Smash related. Besides, I've searched different web pages, and Wayforward hasn't said anything about Shantae being "near impossible." Plus, Wayforward has given the rights to Nintendo to put her in the game. She has had a huge history and relationship with Nintendo, after all. So I would just ignore it.
Well when we all get through, you should have a pile of arguments to tackle the mindless contractors with.. Heh heh heh...

Also, WELCOME TO THE THREAD! ^_^

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730

YEAH! I've got my lovely, Shantae's back with mystical Genie Hero L-O-V-E, Lady Luck and especially L-I-F-E of Legendary support for Shantae, no matter what! BABY! P.S: #Shantae4SmashBrosDLC and here's something to enjoy:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
@ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 Ok... got that obscurity argument patched up. It has much more to it now!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Shantae is an indie character! Theres no way she could get in!"

Notice any pattern here? 99% of the games are on Nintendo consoles.. (Save for Risky's Revenge, and even those were just later ports) Awfully loyal for an indie character.. (Heck some could even go as far to call her First Party Indie at this point). She is much more than "just an indie character". She has been with Nintendo for a very long time, has a lot of history with them, and has been very loyal.

To add to this, look at the characters like Ness, the Fire Emblem Characters, and Ice Climbers.

Ness was from a classic game with a cult following, not too different from Shantae, that deserved much more exposure than it did. The difference? The fact Ness was present in the first game, and being in the original twelve, his series has always been prominent throughout the Smash series... and my, look at the good it has done. Earthbound was able to get that recognition it deserved. From seeing Ness (and later Lucas) in the series, many grew curious about it, and either got the game, or did research.. Thanks to Smash bros, many have gotten to experience the humorous cult classic that is Earthbound.

To go even further, look at the Fire Emblem series. As you know, Marth and Roy had their starts in Melee.... but that wasn't always going to be the case. Sakurai was initially afraid of releasing the two characters outside of japan to the western base. As you see, the Fire Emblem series was still Japan only at the time, and he was afraid it would alienate the Western base. Luckily, Sakurai decided to put them in anyway.... and what a great decision it was. It sparked interest in the series, and the two characters started to obtain a fan following in the west... prompting the release of the Fire Emblem series internationally, and making it the big series it is today. The same thing could happen for Shantae actually. Her games aren't present in Japan.. So, her inclusion in Smash could very well have the same effect for her that it did for Fire Emblem

As one last argument against "obscurity", look at many of the classic characters that have made it into the game. Pit, G & W, and Ice Climbers to name a few. Pit had only had two classic games under his belt... and had disappeared from the industry for years. After his comeback in brawl however, he finally saw a new title, and thus, his fanbase grew immensely. The younger generations probably wouldn't even know what a Game and Watch is.. if it hadn't have been for Mr. Game and Watch showing up in Smash. The ice climbers were even MORE obscure. I doubt all that many even knew who these guys were. (Heck, not even I knew who they were until I played Melee). So, Obscurity isn't an argument here, when it comes to newcomers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAH! I've got my lovely, Shantae's back with mystical Genie Hero L-O-V-E, Lady Luck and especially L-I-F-E of Legendary support for Shantae, no matter what! BABY! P.S: #Shantae4SmashBrosDLC and here's something to enjoy:

My. Had no idea Sonic was a Shantae fan :smirk:

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Well when we all get through, you should have a pile of arguments to tackle the mindless contractors with.. Heh heh heh...

Also, WELCOME TO THE THREAD! ^_^
Some people have been using the argument of there being No Shantae games in Japan and their right, but there are a few japanese fans who know of her games and their is a demand from them wanting the games to be localized in japan so I think with that knowledge if Shantae were to make it in she would have a high chance to be localized in japan.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Some people have been using the argument of there being No Shantae games in Japan and their right, but there are a few japanese fans who know of her games and their is a demand from them wanting the games to be localized in japan so I think with that knowledge if Shantae were to make it in she would have a high chance to be localized in japan.
Exactly! And wasn't Little Mac created in America, and yet sent to Japan at one point? If so, the exact same thing can happen for Shantae.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Oh thats a good one to counter! Thanks

Edit: SIZZLE SIZZLE! New argument fresh off the grill!:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Shantae doesn't have any releases in Japan!"

Look back to the Melee Fire Emblem case, and just picture that in reverse.

Also, there are Shantae Japanese fans who know of her games, and their is a demand from them wanting the games to be localized in Japan, so, if Shantae made it into the game, Just like what happened with Fire Emblem, she would have a high chance to be localized in Japan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
So i'm debating on what the stage would be right now. Her lighthouse or Scuttle Town.
Whatever it is, I imagine a stage hazard being Risky's ship appearing occasionally to rain cannon fire or something.
Personally, I vote for some variation of Scuttle Town.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
So i'm debating on what the stage would be right now. Her lighthouse or Scuttle Town.

Whatever it is, I imagine a stage hazard being Risky's ship appearing occasionally to rain cannon fire or something.
Personally, I vote for some variation of Scuttle Town.

Well Scuttle town does have that circular thing it does... It would make for an interesting stage.. Would kinda remind me of that Mario Galaxy stage actually

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I was thinking of Burning Town, since that seems to be the staple of the series. A scrolling stage much like Pac-Land, filled with defeatable but annoying Tinkerbats and cannonballs. Risky's ship might even make an appearance, too, with the booty-hauling lady pirate herself making comments.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I was thinking of Burning Town, since that seems to be the staple of the series. A scrolling stage much like Pac-Land, filled with defeatable but annoying Tinkerbats and cannonballs. Risky's ship might even make an appearance, too, with the booty-hauling lady pirate herself making comments.
Oh.. wouldn't it be hilarious if she had extra easter egg dialog for when you started a coin battle?... XD

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Oh thats a good one to counter! Thanks

Edit: SIZZLE SIZZLE! New argument fresh off the grill!:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Shantae doesn't have any releases in Japan!"

Look back to the Melee Fire Emblem case, and just picture that in reverse.

Also, there are Shantae Japanese fans who know of her games, and their is a demand from them wanting the games to be localized in Japan, so, if Shantae made it into the game, Just like what happened with Fire Emblem, she would have a high chance to be localized in Japan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also if you're looking for a japanese fan here's one for example:
https://twitter.com/hounori
He/She also did fanart of Shantae:
https://twitter.com/hounori/status/582716698689597440
https://twitter.com/hounori/status/582732931417800704

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
That would be interesting. Although the Risky Boots hazard could also be a stage boss on the Lighthouse... Ok that wouldn't be very fun in hindsight. (The robot boat from the beginning of Risky's revenge)
Oh.. wouldn't it be hilarious if she had extra easter egg dialog for when you started a coin battle?... XD
Probably telling who ever player one is to grab as much for her as possible. lol

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Hey, can we discuss, if Shantae gets in smash, What would be in her trailer?
Well I would honestly hope it was at least a bit flashy like the pre-release trailers... I mean she would "still" technically be considered a newcomer right? (Mewtwo and Lucas I can understand, as they are veterans, and no other newcomers were appearing alongside them in the trailers)

Would obviously contain stuff from her universe..

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
Never trust some random guy claiming dumb crap like "Shantae being impossible" despite the fact that third party characters that would be even harder to acquire are in the game already.

1. lol

2. No. I don't think he should be in. If anything, any indie character with an actual history with Nintendo deserve it.
I honestly didn't care for him either, I just wanted to see what people thought about him.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I expect nothing less than a Smash 4 remix of that amazing boss battle music. If it does that, I won't stop watching the trailer until she is released, with a big fat grin on my face the entire time.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I expect nothing less than a Smash 4 remix of that amazing boss battle music. If it does that, I won't stop watching the trailer until she is released, with a big fat grin on my face the entire time.
Thank you! I've been thinking that they have to put that in the trailer. As for the trailer, I hope it's similar to Villager's where she gets the invitation for smash and finds them fighting in Scuttle Town.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Doesn't add much to the conversation but I found this art of Shantae and Flannery outfit swapping

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
Hey, can we discuss, if Shantae gets in smash, What would be in her trailer?
i am thinking that any trailers from here on out will be strictly in-game like Mewtwo and Lucas' trailers, unless of course it's a third party and/or said third party company offered to make a trailer for them. otherwise i'm not expecting anything outside of gameplay.

as for what Shantae's trailer would include? probably would be close to the formula of most of the smash trailers. starting out with her interrupting a fight, likely between Mario and the third parties, then panning around her model, followed by an action shot with her tagline, and all sorts of antics ensuing with her showing off her moveset, and her using items.

Last edited:

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
Doesn't add much to the conversation but I found this art of Shantae and Flannery outfit swapping
Well it can since Ken Sugimori really likes Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.
(I support Shantae for SSB4!)

Top Bottom