• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Just to have a casual discussion... If there was one thing you could change about Shantae as a character (design, personality, abilities, etc.) what would you change?

Me? I know I've said this before, and I know it sounds weird, but I'd give the girl some muscle. For all the travelling and battling that she's been doing through the series, I don't think she wouldn't look that lean. I think the best example I can use to visualize what Shantae's body would look like with more toned muscles is Avatar Korra.

image.jpg

It'll make Shantae seem more like the tough, sassy heroine she is. I think may give her somewhat of a better public image, too.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Nialskdfjsfiekdiksls
Because gathering fans to one fan-made poll matters more than getting them to the real thing?
Well if the fans voted for Shantae in Etika's poll wouldn't that mean they voted for Shantae in the real one?

GP2

Smash Apprentice
Love them or hate them, they do influence who people support significantly, so we can't ignore them (until Saturday anyway).
Agreed we're just getting our name out there SHANTAE FOR SMASH >_<

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
What music do you recommend that is in Smash right now sounds like something out of Shantae?

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Just to have a casual discussion... If there was one thing you could change about Shantae as a character (design, personality, abilities, etc.) what would you change?

Me? I know I've said this before, and I know it sounds weird, but I'd give the girl some muscle. For all the travelling and battling that she's been doing through the series, I don't think she wouldn't look that lean. I think the best example I can use to visualize what Shantae's body would look like with more toned muscles is Avatar Korra.

View attachment 75994

It'll make Shantae seem more like the tough, sassy heroine she is. I think may give her somewhat of a better public image, too.
For me, it would definitely be to make Sky's outfit less revealing. I think Shantae's costume suits her and is just fine, but I find it a little bothersome when the female side characters collectively just look like fan-service.

I'm not asking that she completely covers up a lot or anything - Scuttle Town has a pretty sweltering climate after all - but look at how over-the-top this cleavage is:

Seriously, how do those little boob flaps even stay on?? Look me in the eye and tell me that isn't excessively fan-servicey. They could most definitely stand to tone that down.

Sky is supposed to be Shantae's capable, confident older friend whom she looks up to. I think de-emphasizing her sexuality would serve that role better.

Also update on Etika's poll:

Current standings are still 1. Snake, 2. Shovel Knight, 3. Banjo-Kazooie, 4. Shantae, 5. Inklings. The big changes are that Snake has established a strong, 500 vote lead over SK; and Shantae, who a day ago was trailing the Inklings, is now leading them by over 300 votes. Banjo-Kazooie is holding a lead over Shantae of just under 200 votes. If we can find some more alcoves of Shantae fans, we've got a shot at taking spot #3.

Here's the link again to the one with Shantae: http://strawpoll.me/5619261/

Last edited:

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
What music do you recommend that is in Smash right now sounds like something out of Shantae?
I've seen people use Forest Area for custom Scuttle Town stages as well as Dragon Roost Island for Shantae's Lighthouse

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
For me, it would definitely be to make Sky's outfit less revealing. I think Shantae's costume suits her and is just fine, but I find it a little bothersome when the female side characters collectively just look like fan-service.

I'm not asking that she completely covers up a lot or anything - Scuttle Town has a pretty sweltering climate after all - but look at how over-the-top this cleavage is:

Seriously, how do those little boob flaps even stay on?? Look me in the eye and tell me that isn't excessively fan-servicey. They could most definitely stand to tone that down.

Sky is supposed to be Shantae's capable, confident older friend whom she looks up to. I think de-emphasizing her sexuality would serve that role better.

Current standings are still 1. Snake, 2. Shovel Knight, 3. Banjo-Kazooie, 4. Shantae, 5. Inklings. The big changes are that Snake has established a strong, 500 vote lead over SK; and Shantae, who a day ago was trailing the Inklings, is now leading them by over 300 votes. Banjo-Kazooie is holding a lead over Shantae of just under 200 votes. If we can find some more alcoves of Shantae fans, we've got a shot at taking spot #3.

Are you sure she's #4? Because I just checked the results so far, and she's #2 with over 3800 votes, catching up with Shovel Knight.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

(Still a billion times better than the original design)

I still agree, though. Just give Sky a tanktop. She'd look much better in that. :/

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Man I can't even send a video I wanted to post on YT.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So get this:

Someone on Miiverse decided to get up and arms about Shantae, bringing up the generic argument that people only want her because of her body, and doesn't support her (or the Smash Ballot at all) in any way, to the point where she rats out others just they're supporting something that she isn't.

I brought up my usual dose of Shantae backup, such as Samus being the only female protagonist and actual reasons why people want her in Smash. (Along with pointing out that judging a series based on it's Miiverse community isn't exactly a good way to support an argument. I tried to be as calm and as non-offensive as I could.) She flipped out, claimed I was a whiny, thirsty Shantae fanboy, and left.

Wanna know what she did after that?

DMed me this on Instagram.
image.jpg

THE SALT IS REAL
image.jpg

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Are you sure she's #4? Because I just checked the results so far, and she's #2 with over 3800 votes, catching up with Shovel Knight.
Yeah I'm glad you brought this up, since it deserves clarification. Let me explain.

Etika wanted to make his poll as inclusive as possible, which meant including as many candidates as possible. The only problem was that I guess strawpoll imposes limits on the total number of options you can put on a single poll. Rather than cutting out characters he wanted to include, he decided to break it up into three different polls. Instead of making a single poll, he made three different polls: one for characters with names A - I, one for characters K - S, and one for characters S - Z.

Here are the links to all three of his polls:
A - I: http://strawpoll.me/5619260
K - S: http://strawpoll.me/5619261
S - Z: http://strawpoll.me/5619263

That means that if you want to get an accurate idea of who the top 5 are, you have to look at who has the most votes across all three polls. Snake is leading the last poll with the largest number of votes of any character. Shovel Knight is leading the second poll, but has fewer votes than Snake. Banjo-Kazooie is leading the first poll, but has fewer votes than Shovel Knight. Shantae is 2nd place in the second poll, and has fewer votes than BK. Inklings are 2nd place in the first poll, but have fewer votes than Shantae. Wolf is 2nd place in the third poll, but has fewer votes than Inklings. Everyone else has fewer votes than them. You can proceed the same way to get a full sense of the rankings.

That is why Shantae is 4th overall, despite that one poll displaying her as 2nd.

EDIT: If you count the total votes across all polls, there are nearly 70,000 votes, HOLY **** that's a lot.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah I'm glad you brought this up, since it deserves clarification. Let me explain.

Etika wanted to make his poll as inclusive as possible, which meant including as many candidates as possible. The only problem was that I guess strawpoll imposes limits on the total number of options you can put on a single poll. Rather than cutting out characters he wanted to include, he decided to break it up into three different polls. Instead of making a single poll, he made three different polls: one for characters with names A - I, one for characters K - S, and one for characters S - Z.

Here are the links to all three of his polls:
A - I: http://strawpoll.me/5619260
K - S: http://strawpoll.me/5619261
S - Z: http://strawpoll.me/5619263

That means that if you want to get an accurate idea of who the top 5 are, you have to look at who has the most votes across all three polls. Snake is leading the last poll with the largest number of votes of any character. Shovel Knight is leading the second poll, but has fewer votes than Snake. Banjo-Kazooie is leading the first poll, but has fewer votes than Shovel Knight. Shantae is 2nd place in the second poll, and has fewer votes than BK. Inklings are 2nd place in the first poll, but have fewer votes than Shantae. Wolf is 2nd place in the third poll, but has fewer votes than Inklings. Everyone else has fewer votes than them. You can proceed the same way to get a full sense of the rankings.

That is why Shantae is 4th overall, despite that one poll displaying her as 2nd.

EDIT: If you count the total votes across all polls, there are nearly 70,000 votes, HOLY **** that's a lot.
Not really the total votes are less because you can vote on ALL three polls at once. So it is around 22,000+ voters.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

At least it's a step up from what she wore before

Between the two, I'll take the version with the pants any day

So get this:

Someone on Miiverse decided to get up and arms about Shantae, bringing up the generic argument that people only want her because of her body, and doesn't support her (or the Smash Ballot at all) in any way, to the point where she rats out others just they're supporting something that she isn't.

I brought up my usual dose of Shantae backup, such as Samus being the only female protagonist and actual reasons why people want her in Smash. (Along with pointing out that judging a series based on it's Miiverse community isn't exactly a good way to support an argument. I tried to be as calm and as non-offensive as I could.) She flipped out, claimed I was a whiny, thirsty Shantae fanboy, and left.

THE SALT IS REAL
View attachment 76019
Glad to see she handled this in a mature, adult manner, I'll see if I can find what she said on Miiverse

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Not really the total votes are less because you can vote on ALL three polls at once. So it is around 22,000+ voters.
You are right, but I doubt most people vote in all three polls. I know I didn't. I would guess most people only put in a vote for their favorite character, and maybe their second favorite IF their second favorite didn't start with the same letter of the alphabet. If there were an average of 1.5 votes per unique voter, then that still means there are more than 45,000 unique voters.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
So get this:

THE SALT IS REAL
View attachment 76019
Wow what a ****ing *****. You should message her and accuse her of being sexist because she reduces a strong female protagonist to her appearance. I'll bet the response is entertaining.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
At least it's a step up from what she wore before

Between the two, I'll take the version with the pants any day

Glad to see she handled this in a mature, adult manner, I'll see if I can find what she said on Miiverse
Wow what a ****ing *****. You should message her and accuse her of being sexist because she reduces a strong female protagonist to her appearance. I'll bet the response is entertaining.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkfH632mg
Meh, the Miiverse posts are just as childish and lame as the message.

At least two of them were reported.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
So I just sent my version of stage dedicated to Shantae. It is up on Miiverse currently:

UserName: Liger or Liger0X.

Hope you all will enjoy it.(It was inspired by another but I wanted to add some things to it lol)

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
More Miiverse fanart:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkfgv_xJA
Edit: Whoops,didn't realize Midnight Twinkle Midnight Twinkle did this. Sorry for posting this early, but great stage nonetheless!

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkfH632mg
Also is the top pic. Can we ACTUALLY MAKE THAT INTO A STAGE? That is real right?
gb7zone7 gb7zone7 Its cool dude, thanks for sharing my stage. I just made it today lol. If any y'all want to have it, shoot me a friend request on my TwinkleDoodle Miiverse account.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
So get this:

THE SALT IS REAL
View attachment 76019
Wow... I can only imagine the anger that user will feel if she gets in XD

But yeah guys. I just really dislike the polls, thats all. Anything where a character that didn't even originate in videogames can be set as something to vote for makes me ignore it. lol. I don't really see them as credible, just that simple XD

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
So get this:

THE SALT IS REAL
View attachment 76019
Wow. That is the saltiest person I have ever seen. Either way, we shouldn't let that type of person get us all down, especially with all the dumb stuff that's not true that was said by that person; the Ballot's just about to end, anyway.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
gb7zone7 gb7zone7 Its cool dude, thanks for sharing my stage. I just made it today lol. If any y'all want to have it, shoot me a friend request on my TwinkleDoodle Miiverse account.
Dang, can we consider this as like, the sound-off to the end of the ballot? This design looks amazing, Midnight.

Also, just about 1 day left. I'mma try to make a list full of hype music, even if most of it isn't Shantae

Top Bottom