• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Great Smash Census - SURVEY NOW LIVE!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yes it's sad. :( Wish i could but smash bros just isn't big enough in Denmark.
Yeah, unless it's someone I introduced to the series then just about nobody knows the franchise. It's pretty sad.

I noticed that the characters that people play in Brawl are much more varied than in Melee. In Melee the characters people play are generally the high tier ones, where as in Brawl everyone is within the 2-5% range, except Pit who's at 1% and Marth who's at 6%. Even then the "The character is fun to play" option won out big time when people were asked how they choose their mains.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
"How would you describe your skill level at Smash Bros?"

Extremely skilled: 17
11%

Very skilled: 59
37%

Moderately skilled: 82
51%

Not very skilled: 3
2%

Everyone is so modest!

Blucario

Smash Rookie
Yeah, unless it's someone I introduced to the series then just about nobody knows the franchise. It's pretty sad.

I noticed that the characters that people play in Brawl are much more varied than in Melee. In Melee the characters people play are generally the high tier ones, where as in Brawl everyone is within the 2-5% range, except Pit who's at 1% and Marth who's at 6%. Even then the "The character is fun to play" option won out big time when people were asked how they choose their mains.
Even when i introduce someone to the game they are like "Wow its funny" and then they buy the game and never uses it. It have happend to like three of my friends. No of my friends plays SSB (i am the only in my class that plays any nintendo game) they all prefer LoL and Wow (not hating on the games) but still i think more people would play the SSB series if they gave it more than one chance.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Even when i introduce someone to the game they are like "Wow its funny" and then they buy the game and never uses it. It have happend to like three of my friends. No of my friends plays SSB (i am the only in my class that plays any nintendo game) they all prefer LoL and Wow (not hating on the games) but still i think more people would play the SSB series if they gave it more than one chance.
It was the same when I went to elementary school, except my class mates would never even associate themselves with anything regarding Nintendo, and LoL wasn't a big thing back then, so it was just WoW. At least I have a friend and 2 brothers to play with, and I'm very grateful for that, knowing how rare it is to meet Smash players around here.

Blucario

Smash Rookie
It was the same when I went to elementary school, except my class mates would never even associate themselves with anything regarding Nintendo, and LoL wasn't a big thing back then, so it was just WoW. At least I have a friend and 2 brothers to play with, and I'm very grateful for that, knowing how rare it is to meet Smash players around here.
You are so lucky. :) I dont have anyone so the most of my melee and brawl time is against CPU and in brawl online using the "against anyone" mode.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Not much Pit users for Brawl kinda make me sad. I'm certain those numbers will grow drastically when Smash4 comes out.

Soon, it will be Pit's Uprising... Sadly for them, they're not ready (to know about it) yet.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
F#$% I can't remember my Smash 64 main...I think I loved abusing DK's pickup the opponent and walk around ability.
Man when the results comin in?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Not much Pit users for Brawl kinda make me sad. I'm certain those numbers will grow drastically when Smash4 comes out.

Soon, it will be Pit's Uprising... Sadly for them, they're not ready (to know about it) yet.
Pit's playstyle was rather awkward in Brawl imo, so I'm not really surprised by his low numbers. He's looking to get a vast improvement in the fun department in SSB4 though, so I'm definitely expecting his numbers to go up by then.

GreatGonzales

Smash Apprentice
F#$% I can't remember my Smash 64 main...I think I loved abusing DK's pickup the opponent and walk around ability.
Man when the results comin in?
You can find results linked in the OP. Later, when the survey response rate has come down, I will do a more detailed analysis.

Hong

The Strongest
How I feel about the whole wavedash/l-cancel thing is:

A lot of games have positional "dash' abilities for each character that functions just like the wavedash did, only simpler for newcomers to grasp. i think it would fit well in Smash Bros.

L-Cancelling is something I wouldn't mind being automatic, thus there is really nothing to "cancel" per se. Just less lag on landing attacks universally.

As such I voted for wavedashing,

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

A lot of games have positional "dash' abilities for each character that functions just like the wavedash did, only simpler for newcomers to grasp. i think it would fit well in Smash Bros.

L-Cancelling is something I wouldn't mind being automatic, thus there is really nothing to "cancel" per se. Just less lag on landing attacks universally.

I tend to win without using it so I just picked "I don't care". :awesome:

GreatGonzales

Smash Apprentice

I have been seeing this idea a lot - that l canceling should be made automatic, thus rendering it a non-technique as no player influence is required to execute it. I would like to discuss that.

I am all for lag time to be reduced generally, but I think there is utility in giving the player the ability to transcend this normal recover speed via player input, i.e. skill. I see no reason to exclude it - players who don't want to use l canceling don't have to, but it's there for the more hardcore players. There's no reason to strip advanced techniques from a fighting game when the presence of the technique does not harm casual players, right? By stripping l canceling from the game, you have essentially created a less hardcore game, and at little/no benefit to casual players IMO.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Double post. Is there no way to delete a post?
L-Cancelling is the most pointless advanced technique to carry over. It is something that should be removed and replaced with less landing lag. Casual players will still lose to the more hardcore players with or without it. This is a no-brainer. For too many people, I feel like we would still be having this discussion if we were playing Super QWOP Bros. and the issue was automated running.

Hong

The Strongest
Generally the quickest way is the report button.
I have been seeing this idea a lot - that l canceling should be made automatic, thus rendering it a non-technique as no player influence is required to execute it. I would like to discuss that.

I am all for lag time to be reduced generally, but I think there is utility in giving the player the ability to transcend this normal recover speed via player input, i.e. skill. I see no reason to exclude it - players who don't want to use l canceling don't have to, but it's there for the more hardcore players. There's no reason to strip advanced techniques from a fighting game when the presence of the technique does not harm casual players, right?
I believe skill-index is important, but does not necessarily add the kind of depth we want to have. Like, when you tech, you don't just tech. You can choose you get up where you are, or you can tech roll, wall tech, wall-tech- jump, choose not to tech. This is not saying L-cancelling is bad, but I like forms of skill-indexing that have more choice. That is not to say we can't have new options in addition to l-cancelling, though I am not sure how well that sits on their design objective.

Mind Ranger

Smash Apprentice
Took it
Looking at results...
Oh - wow, thanks for letting me know! Huh, so much for keeping this to smash boards only...

Do you think I should go ahead and post this on other community forums as well, now that the data will get mixed anyway?
Sure! Just not on the ones who will put answers to mess it up.

Mind Ranger

Smash Apprentice
If you had to choose, which character is your "main"?

"Marth 30%"

Holy crap, I never knew some many people used Marth.
I thought it would be more of a newer character.

GreatGonzales

Smash Apprentice
It's a shame it's already on GameFAQs then.
Yes, but I suppose I should have anticipated that this could happen. Oh well.

It looks like about 50 new people have taken the survey since it was posted to gamefaqs, a sizeable chunk. Not really possible to extricate that data at this point. But i am torn - this means more data for me to play with, which could be quite valuable!

i could just leave it as is and not draw further attention to it. Or, I could post a formal invitation like I did here.

I am looking for guidance. What other smash communities are out there that I should share this survey with? Which communities, if any, should I avoid?

GreatGonzales

Smash Apprentice
Actually, what I can do is - take the first 200 responses (they are time stamped), and recognize these responses as smash boards only. This way, we are at least able to draw comparisons between smash boards people and everyone else. Savvy?

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
View attachment 1579

Who are these people and how do their minds operate? Are they all Luigi mains?
Well, I was one of them. First, I simply don't understand whats the sense of l-canceling. My friends (who can't l-cancel) just scream at me anyway when i'm way faster then them (due to l-canceling). Second, I just love "dancing" around. I spam Dashdancing, Wavedashing, Wavelanding etc. just because it looks cool and it confuses my opponents. So yea.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Is there a way to show results like,
10% of the people who took this survey don't own smash 64 and never participated in tournament.
Or 25% of the people who took this survey own brawl and chose battlefield as their favorite stage.
Stuff like that. I'm interested in how many people who chose the same thing also chose another of the same thing.

GreatGonzales

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way to show results like,
10% of the people who took this survey don't own smash 64 and never participated in tournament.
Or 25% of the people who took this survey own brawl and chose battlefield as their favorite stage.
Stuff like that. I'm interested in how many people who chose the same thing also chose another of the same thing.
Yes it is possible. This what I mean when I say I will be providing a more detailed analysis. But not for a week or so (I am on vacation!)

GreatGonzales

Smash Apprentice
Yes I would like some guidance from you folks. If I post this survey on other boards, can someone fill me in on the other relevant ssb communities that are out there? Are there any I should avoid?

Thanks.

Top Bottom