• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
admirable.
Thanks.

Or they can just go on believing what they do, unconvinced by you saying its absurd to believe it because they believe it regardless of the empirical evidence for or against it..
Well, trying works more often than not trying. At least my experience with those kinds of people expands.

Alright, yeah i deserved that, i asked a stupid question.
heheh. I've asked plenty of those before. ;)

Orboknown

Smash Hero
you're welcome
Well, trying works more often than not trying. At least my experience with those kinds of people expands.
Oh no doubt, ive been in arguments with Jehovah's witnesses and Muslims and they are long winded arguments that end in me saying "screw this, we aren't gonna convince each other otherwise."

heheh. I've asked plenty of those before. ;)
its how i learn i guess.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
ok, ill concede that.
what does questioning the logic of God do for us?
It can show us his logic is illogical, or contradictory, and therefore he doesn't exist.

If Christians have to resort to 'who are you to question God? or 'We can't know God's motives' etc. then it becomes completely irrational to believe in Christianity because there is nothing in reality that makes Christianity the rational belief for the neutral.

ElvenKing

Smash Apprentice
Finding something absurd is a GREAT reason to talk about it in fact. If people thought things were absurd and never spoke about it, no one else could prove them wrong or learn that it is absurd themselves.

As for God doing meaningless things, you can't use the "we are pots and he is the potter so who are we to question what he does" argument, because that also means who are we to say we can't question it? And also that argument is like what MuraRengan (sp?) did in his blog post about saying God must be illogical and make no sense in order to have made the Universe. You're just saying something you don't get and playing it off as an answer. It isn't even understandable as to why we couldn't comprehend a reason, surely after it is all said and done God could be like, "Oh, this is why we did this nonsense..." and then we could be like, "Oh okay!" All things have sufficient reason, and if a sufficient reason cannot be surmised, then it isn't any reason, which just doesn't happen in reality. It is absurd.
The entire "cannot understand" argument is a mistaken one drawn from failing to realise that the position actually being held is that God's authority is simply correct.

In other words: what ever God does is right, whether God takes action for no other reason than God decrees that the the action must be taken itself or there is some reason that is currently beyond human knowledge.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Exactly, there's no criteria for determining whether an act is an act of God or not.

It's like saying that a plane crashing is evidence of God, and it not crashing is also evidence of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom