• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Golden Guardian of the Formidable Oak: Plasm Wraith for DLC! (Cast your vote today!)

Do you support the Plasm Wraith?

• Yes

Votes: 81 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 43 34.7%

• Total voters

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I made an account just to support this thread, Pikmin needs a creature representative, Bulblax is the most iconic, but isn't diverse enough to be a character, it's like a Goomba. Titan Dweevil wouldn't work as a playable character, but would be a nice boss for a Pikmin stage based on the caves in 2.

Plasm Wraith works because it is diverse, and it can be a reasonable size for a Smash Bros character. The one issue I find is its likeness to the Yellow Devil, I imagine a lot of people going "Yellow Devil is already a boss in this, why is there a blobby version of the Yellow Devil called Plasm Wraith?"

I like the idea of Louie as a summoner character for the creature side of Pikmin, but I feel Plasm Wraith would be more unique.

If Plasmy doesn't make any appearance in SSB4 on release, don't be too sad, that may just increase the chances of it appearing at one point or another. If Nintendo ends up making character DLC, it may make an appearance in that, if demand for it is high, but that's IF they make character DLC.
Welcome! Nice to see that there's more Plasm Wraith supporters out there.

On a side note a stage in the final sublevel of the Dream Den would be incredible, with the Titan Dweevil stomping around behind the stage (which is above the bowl) and occasionally reaching forward to attack with one of its weapons.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm going to be getting Pikmin 3 soon, so I guess I'll get to see what he has to offer firsthand. Maybe I'll even do a moveset later.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
The best way I could think of is if Chugga does an LP of Pikmin 3, but now that he's busy with Xenoblade it isn't gonna happen till well into next year (that is if it's even the next game).

Unfortunately even if we rallied all Pikmin fans to our side the voice probably still wouldn't be loud enough, sad to say.
Despite the fact that I hate Chugga for basically making all his viewers mention Steve on every Pikmin video ever(He hates this though), he would definitely be a good way to shed some light on the Plasm Wraith and the Pikmin series in general. But yeah with Xenoblade, it'll take a while.

Know any other famous Youtubers who have a Wii U and haven't played Pikmin 3?
I made an account just to support this thread, Pikmin needs a creature representative, Bulblax is the most iconic, but isn't diverse enough to be a character, it's like a Goomba. Titan Dweevil wouldn't work as a playable character, but would be a nice boss for a Pikmin stage based on the caves in 2.

Plasm Wraith works because it is diverse, and it can be a reasonable size for a Smash Bros character. The one issue I find is its likeness to the Yellow Devil, I imagine a lot of people going "Yellow Devil is already a boss in this, why is there a blobby version of the Yellow Devil called Plasm Wraith?"

I like the idea of Louie as a summoner character for the creature side of Pikmin, but I feel Plasm Wraith would be more unique.

If Plasmy doesn't make any appearance in SSB4 on release, don't be too sad, that may just increase the chances of it appearing at one point or another. If Nintendo ends up making character DLC, it may make an appearance in that, if demand for it is high, but that's IF they make character DLC.
Wow. My thread inspired someone to make an account and name it after the very character in the thread. That's pretty awesome. Yeah I agree. Plasm Wraith is probably the only creature that could work as a playable character. The others don't have much potential or don't have important enough roles. I can kinda see the Yellow Devil/Blobby Yellow Devil thing happening, but hopefully people would figure that out.

In the event that character DLC is confirmed(Or maybe even before that), I might try to do something similar to what the K. Rool thread is doing right now. They made a website with a bunch of reasons as to why he should get in, along with Nintendo Twitters and E-mails to send support messages to.

EDIT: Also, GameFAQs is once again bringing Pikmin representation up a lot. I found this beautiful thread that really shows how underrepresented Pikmin is. Here's a link.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Apparently, the Glint Beetle wasn't just a rumor after all. Probably means nothing, but it's nice seeing some Pikmin representation.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Apparently, the Glint Beetle wasn't just a rumor after all. Probably means nothing, but it's nice seeing some Pikmin representation.
I was legitimately worried when we first saw the reel for Smash Run enemies in the Direct and all there was for Pikmin was Bulborbs. Granted there are far better choices then the Iridescent Glint Beetle to choose from, but at least we know for a fact that the Bulborb won't be going in alone.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
It's good to see Pikmin is not being pushed entirely in to the background, but I'd still like some more stuff, stages, a character, more trophies, more enemies, that sort of stuff.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the Quaggled Mireclops(or even the Armored Mawdad) are more likely than the Plasm Wraith to be on the Garden of Hope stage. But hey, maybe the Wraith will get lucky. :happysheep:
I don't think That the Quaggled Mirecops would work very well in a 2D game. I'm still hoping for a Vehemoth Phosbat boss fight in Smash Run or something.

Also, I've been wondering about the huge delay between 3DS and Wii U Sm4sh releases, when they both look pretty much finished. I think we're going to get lots more characters. Yes, Sakurai said they have the same roster, but he also said that Zero Suit wasn't in the game. (I'm having Deja Vu. Have I already posted this on this thread? If so, sorry.) So even if Plasm Wraith isn't on the 3DS, we can still hope. Anyway, Pikmin 3 is on the Wii U so it would make more sense for it to be on it's console.

Finally, I've made it to the Plasm Wraith in Pikmin 3 but I haven't collected all of the fruit yet. If I beat the Wraith, can I still collect the fruit, or does the game end?

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I don't think That the Quaggled Mirecops would work very well in a 2D game. I'm still hoping for a Vehemoth Phosbat boss fight in Smash Run or something.

Also, I've been wondering about the huge delay between 3DS and Wii U Sm4sh releases, when they both look pretty much finished. I think we're going to get lots more characters. Yes, Sakurai said they have the same roster, but he also said that Zero Suit wasn't in the game. (I'm having Deja Vu. Have I already posted this on this thread? If so, sorry.) So even if Plasm Wraith isn't on the 3DS, we can still hope. Anyway, Pikmin 3 is on the Wii U so it would make more sense for it to be on it's console.

Finally, I've made it to the Plasm Wraith in Pikmin 3 but I haven't collected all of the fruit yet. If I beat the Wraith, can I still collect the fruit, or does the game end?
Maybe the Wii U will get extra characters that the 3DS gets as free DLC at the Wii U version's release?

Also, after you beat the Plasm Wraith, the game ends, so make sure to collect all the fruit and other stuff before you fight it.

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
This character, is my Number one character, for a spot in Smash 4! I've wanted this character ever since I got to his boss battle in Pikmin 3!

I love the creepy feeling of him chasing you while your trying to save Captain Olimar! I also love how he's mysterious and you don't know why he's so obsessed with Olimar! His boss fight was also great!

Add me to the supporters list!

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
With four Fire Emblem, two Kid Icarus, (previously and possibly again) three Starfox, and (previously and possibly again) two Mother characters, I'm going to be bummed out if we're stuck to just one Pikmin rep. Its arguably bigger then Mother and KI, and not much behind SF and FE, so surely if the roster is going to be as massive as everyone is making it out to be Sakurai can squeeze in something like the Plasm Wraith as a hidden character.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
This character, is my Number one character, for a spot in Smash 4! I've wanted this character ever since I got to his boss battle in Pikmin 3!

I love the creepy feeling of him chasing you while your trying to save Captain Olimar! I also love how he's mysterious and you don't know why he's so obsessed with Olimar! His boss fight was also great!

Add me to the supporters list!
Wow. You seem to be a pretty heavy supporter of the Plasm Wraith. I like that. I agree, that chase was absolutely nerve-wracking.

Welcome to the Plasm Platoon!

With four Fire Emblem, two Kid Icarus, (previously and possibly again) three Starfox, and (previously and possibly again) two Mother characters, I'm going to be bummed out if we're stuck to just one Pikmin rep. Its arguably bigger then Mother and KI, and not much behind SF and FE, so surely if the roster is going to be as massive as everyone is making it out to be Sakurai can squeeze in something like the Plasm Wraith as a hidden character.
Agreed. With all these arguably niche series getting more than one character, I think it's time Pikmin got one. Plus, with most of our newcomers so far being humans, we need some diversity, and the Plasm Wraith offers just that.

Also I was thinking. A lot of the newcomer trailers have used different artstyles. I think a cool thing for the Plasm Wraith trailer(mine anyway), would be to make it a bit like a horror movie. Everything could be in black and white, except for the lights that the characters use. The Plasm Wraith would also be a colored thing. It would certainly express the Wraith's general creepiness. Maybe even do it like an old tape that skips at random parts of the trailer, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Agreed. With all these arguably niche series getting more than one character, I think it's time Pikmin got one. Plus, with most of our newcomers so far being humans, we need some diversity, and the Plasm Wraith offers just that.

Also I was thinking. A lot of the newcomer trailers have used different artstyles. I think a cool thing for the Plasm Wraith trailer(mine anyway), would be to make it a bit like a horror movie. Everything could be in black and white, except for the lights that the characters use. The Plasm Wraith would also be a colored thing. It would certainly express the Wraith's general creepiness. Maybe even do it like an old tape that skips at random parts of the trailer, if that makes sense.
The only real problem the Plasm Wraith has is that pretty much nobody knows what it is beyond dedicated Pikmin fans. Granted there are other obscure characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Mr. Game & Watch, but such characters either have media (Wii Fit paved the way for an entire genre of gaming) or historical significance (G&W is the great-grandaddy of gaming handhelds). Plasm Wraith sadly doesn't have either of those qualities. Pretty much its only potential claim to fame is how completely unique it could function as a playable character.

As for your trailer idea, I'd agree except that the stylized trailers for other newcomers were based on the form of media that were in or about their respective games (today's trailer was styled after Awakening's cutscenes, Palutena's after the anime shorts, ect.), and Pikmin doesn't have any outside media barring a half-baked mockumentary with footage directly ripped from Pikmin 3. But regardless, I can see a horror motif working in the way of Olimar's log videos (namely the one where the Plasm Wraith attacks), only having other characters in them.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
The only real problem the Plasm Wraith has is that pretty much nobody knows what it is beyond dedicated Pikmin fans. Granted there are other obscure characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Mr. Game & Watch, but such characters either have media (Wii Fit paved the way for an entire genre of gaming) or historical significance (G&W is the great-grandaddy of gaming handhelds). Plasm Wraith sadly doesn't have either of those qualities. Pretty much its only potential claim to fame is how completely unique it could function as a playable character.
Judging from how newcomers are being chosen, the fact that its claim to fame is it's uniqueness as a playable character is a massive trump card. Look at it this way, Fire Emblem has four reps, and it's not the biggest franchise, and Robin certainly isn't the most recognizable character, I pretty much had to guess that he was from FE. Robin has one big thing about him though, he works incredibly well as an entirely new character with a unique moveset, Plasm Wraith shares this trait.

Plasm Wraith may not get a trailer, but he may still be in the game as a playable character, since he may just be kept secret until the game's release. Robin would only be known to people who played Awakening, Plasm would only be known to people who played Pikmin 3, this is significant as Pikmin 3 and Awakening are both near-release titles which were made to go with their console, 3DS and Wii U respectively. If you look at the way they're doing it with Awakening reps, it seems strange for them not to do it with Pikmin 3.

Maybe I'm just optimistic, but I think the Robin announcement is the best thing the Plasm Platoon has going for it.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036

Hey Plasm Platoon! I made this little Plasm Wraith smiley a few minutes ago and I thought I'd share it. Feel free to use it in your signatures or whatever to show your support!

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I am sure many users agree with this: I am in a constant, particularly worrisome state with this game's roster. Most, if not all, of the characters I want in this game are villains. This means the characters I want probably require unlocking, so they probably will not receive the pleasing reveal videos other characters have, and I will never know if they are in or not until after the game is released.

Nintendo Fan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer-Robert1498
3DS FC
3050-7577-7020
Hmm...I find this newcomer thread more interesting than others, being that it is quite an obscure character, and one that I have experienced. The moveset that could be created stands out as very unique to me, and makes this character have more viability.

Unfortunately, I am left to deter my thoughts from the idea of this gooey monstrosity being included in Smash 4 for multiple reasons. Finding it highly unlikely that it makes it in is merely an opinion though, but as a boss character...that is definitely an idea in the making. Perhaps, if another PIKMIN 3 stage has been kept a secret, this gelatinous creature should function as a stage hazard akin to the Yellow Devil–including other bosses form the game is an even greater idea.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
If a new Pikmin stage used multiple bosses, I would slightly not want the Oak Plasm Wraith to appear, Nintendo Fan. As the final boss of a Pikmin game, the sight of this being could be reserved as a surprise for those who play the game (regardless of internet spoilers). Other bosses should appear on the stage. Do you like this idea, Nintendo Fan? Anyway, If the Plasm Wraith is advertized as OAK Plasm Wraith, which I see as part of this thread's title, this implies they are made of syrup!

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
If a new Pikmin stage used multiple bosses, I would slightly not want the Oak Plasm Wraith to appear, Nintendo Fan. As the final boss of a Pikmin game, the sight of this being could be reserved as a surprise for those who play the game (regardless of internet spoilers). Other bosses should appear on the stage. Do you like this idea, Nintendo Fan? Anyway, If the Plasm Wraith is advertized as OAK Plasm Wraith, which I see as part of this thread's title, this implies they are made of syrup!
The Plasm Wraith is the "Golden Guardian of the Formidable Oak." Oak Plasm Wraith isn't a thing lol.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
It's not called the oak plasm wraith. It's from the place formidable oak.

Edit: I noticed I'm not on the supporter list? I said I supported before..

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Oh, OK. Please forgive me for that. But as a yellow, gelatinous guardian of an oak tree, it is still a logical inference.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
It's not called the oak plasm wraith. It's from the place formidable oak.

Edit: I noticed I'm not on the supporter list? I said I supported before..
Huh. Coulda sworn I had you on there.

Adding you to it now.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
How do you want your congratulatory cup of "mysterious plasmatic drink of supportership," Haydossy? Should it be cold, hot, warm, lukewarm, or room temperature? Plasm Wraith shall pour it for you. I should see how viscous the Plasm Wraith is.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
How do you want your congratulatory cup of "mysterious plasmatic drink of supportership," Haydossy? Should it be cold, hot, warm, lukewarm, or room temperature? Plasm Wraith shall pour it for you. I should see how viscous the Plasm Wraith is.
Um... I think I'll pass.......

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
I decided to contribute to the moveset and add some more stuff
Basic Attacks (A attacks)
NTilt: Short Jab
NTilt II: Spins and jabs with other arm-thing
NTilt finisher: Kicks with leg and spins around to kick with other leg
STilt: Long Kick
DTilt: Swipes both sides with arms
UTilt: Thrusts both arms up
Dashtilt could be it falling over and swallowing any opponents under it.

It's Shield could be the same colour as it.
For it's grab it could swallow the opponent
It would have 2 jumps
It's Idle animation would be...standing there.
It's first waiting animation could be it clapping it's arms together and it's second could be it forming into a goo verison of one of it's opponents and then reforming.

Hope this helped! Now the only things we need are aerials, dodges, throws, pummel, fallen, ledge and it's entrance animation! Also it's unlock message, unless it's playable at the start.

edit: lol it censored my jab because I accidently wrote it with a p instead of a b XD

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I decided to contribute to the moveset and add some more stuff
Basic Attacks (A attacks)
NTilt: Short Jab
NTilt II: Spins and **** with other arm-thing
NTilt finisher: Kicks with leg and spins around to kick with other leg
STilt: Long Kick
DTilt: Swipes both sides with arms
UTilt: Thrusts both arms up
Dashtilt could be it falling over and swallowing any opponents under it.

It's Shield could be the same colour as it.
For it's grab it could swallow the opponent
It would have 2 jumps
It's Idle animation would be...standing there.
It's first waiting animation could be it clapping it's arms together and it's second could be it forming into a goo verison of one of it's opponents and then reforming.

Hope this helped! Now the only things we need are aerials, dodges, throws, pummel, fallen, ledge and it's entrance animation! Also it's unlock message, unless it's playable at the start.
Nice! I'll try to add this to the OP during the next couple of days. You'll be the first supporter to have something they created in the OP!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, sorry if I don't know much about Plasm Wraith, but I would like to ask something. According to this list, how would Plasm Wraith's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, sorry if I don't know much about Plasm Wraith, but I would like to ask something. According to this list, how would Plasm Wraith's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
Maybe a zoner-ranger hybrid? I dunno.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036

I feel like the Plasm Wraith would be a hybrid zoner-trickster, or a trapper for lack of a better word. I see it as immobilizing or slowing opponents from a distance, then getting in close for some solid damage.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
It would be soooo weird to see Olimar the same size as this dude. (Plasma Wraith is probably roughly the size of kirby... kirby's size prior to his expansion in the Smash games >_>).

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Thankfully, the Plasm Wraith can be small or big, depending on the amount of plasm they have stored. This is one character that is not hampered by size issues.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Thankfully, the Plasm Wraith can be small or big, depending on the amount of plasm they have stored. This is one character that is not hampered by size issues.
How would Plasm Wraith fare against characters that are Bruisor/Ranger/Resistors like :4dk:?

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I do not surely know. For this question, I shall imagine the Plasm Wraith inserted into SSB4 with moves directly related to their Pikmin 3 appearance. I think the Bruisers and Resistors would be difficult to fight, but Rangers would be even. The Plasm Wraith, I imagine, would be weak and relatively slow character, but be heavy and have multiple, complex, long range attacks. Bruisers and Resistors would disrupt Plasm Wraith's strategies with constant, strong attacks. Rangers would fight the Plasm Wraith's range with their own range, and cause long matches.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
How would Plasm Wraith fare against characters that are Bruisor/Ranger/Resistors like :4dk:?
I'd say it would quite well. If said Bruiser/Resistor tried to get in close, I would think the Plasm Wraith could stun them and get out of there quite easily. However, I think Bruisers and Resistors could be Plasm Wraith's counter if they played very aggressively. Rangers on the other hand, are characters that I see the Plasm Wraith as countering. Being able to slow and stun from a distance then get in close would be quite difficult for Rangers to play against. This also lets the Plasm Wraith counter Olimar, which I think is fitting.

On another note, it's really cool of you to post this in a bunch of the smaller character threads to promote discussion. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

TheSeanMan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seanybobo2
3DS FC
2492-5096-7585
Add me to the list, I support this a-lot. Pikmin is my 2nd favorite Nintendo franchise, the only thing beating it is MOTHER.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Holy smokes the thread got a major jump in posts yesterday, how did I miss it?!

But anyway I can agree that if the Plam Wraith were to be playable (or any Pikmin newcomer for that matter honestly) we won't find out till release or whenever someone leaks the full roster.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Do you think Mr. Sakurai, as the general moveset creator, would give the Plasm Wraith a unique grab? I continually imagine the Plasm Wraith would engulf the foe, but that is probably incorrect.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
Do you think Mr. Sakurai, as the general moveset creator, would give the Plasm Wraith a unique grab? I continually imagine the Plasm Wraith would engulf the foe, but that is probably incorrect.
I reckon that would be pretty cool, I'm not sure if there would be any problems with implementing it, but if it it's possible then that would be good.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I would say its stabbing move, but impaling others straight through probably wouldn't fly for a game like Smash. Heck it was disturbing enough in Pikmin 3...

Top Bottom