• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The General Forgotten/Underused Mario Characters Support Thread

Who would you prefer to see making a comeback?

• Geno

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Mallow

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Wart

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Stanley the Bugman

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Foreman Spike

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Princess Shroob

• Tatanga

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Wanda the fairy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prince Peasley

• Vivian

• Booster

• Total voters

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Mario is (undoubtedly) one of the biggest franchises, not just in videogames, but also in all media, so with that it's no real surprise that with so many games and so many characters that were created throughout the years, some of them weren't lucky enough and got... well... left behind (either by being replaced by others, or just by getting simply forgotten).

There certainly is a possibility for these characters to be saved from obscurity and shine once again, and Pauline is the proof for that.
She was given a very big role in Super Mario Odyssey (one of Mario's most recent titles that quickly became one of its most relevant and beloved), and fans were quite fascinated once they saw her making one heck of a comeback.
If there are any obscure characters in who you find great potential, and that you'd love to see making a comeback, not just in Super Smash Brothers, but also in the main Mario series (possibly even the spinoff titles like Mario Kart and Mario Party), than this thread is for you.

Be sure to vote in the poll which one you want the most, and if you want it, you can share the reason of your choice and what kind of potential you see in that character (and also others of course).

PS: Please tell me, if there are any characters you would like to vote for and that sleeped my mind.

Here are some of the individual support threads for the obscure Mario characters that are present in the poll:

- https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-come-on-lets-get-this-show-on-the-road-geno-dlc.446378/page-950#post-23342932

- https://smashboards.com/threads/mallow-frog-prince-from-the-beyond-the-clouds.456009/

- https://smashboards.com/threads/the...e-bugman-exterminates-the-competition.453700/

- https://smashboards.com/threads/wart-subcons-troublesome-toad-for-smash.446545/

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
If not for Dedede, Bowser, and K. Rool filling in the "rotund, cartoonish villain" archetype, I'd be totally down for Wart.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
If not for Dedede, Bowser, and K. Rool filling in the "rotund, cartoonish villain" archetype, I'd be totally down for Wart.
Well, Wart does have some uniqueness.

And to be fair, I personally think that if Smash can have all these generic anime sword characters in the roster, one more stereotyped cartoon antagonist wouldn't really be a negative aspect.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
I would say that a generic Koopa (or Koopa Troopa) is a forgotten Mario character for Smash, considering the fact that a generic Koopa is almost never requested as a newcomer (in comparison to other more popular requests such as Geno or Banjo & Kazooie). However, since a generic Piranha Plant made it into Smash as a playable fighter, a Koopa could potentially also. Generic Koopa has been a playable character in other games, such as the Mario Kart series.

Birdo is another forgotten Mario character that could be a playable fighter. Birdo has appeared as a playable character in other Mario games.

Another character that could be in Smash is Poochy from the Yoshi games (though Poochy would most likely be a Yoshi franchise representative, and so he would have an egg symbol next to his attributes instead of a mushroom).

Of the characters on the poll, I'd most want to see Wart be a playable fighter.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
My top three choices would be for Wart, Tatanga, or Mouser.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
What about Tatanga? A comical alien is something Nintendo misses. He also has an interesting body shape, I guess, or at least uncommon in Smash.

Last edited:

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
I had this idea that Captain Goomba from Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions could be a character. His entire moves would revolve around summoning other enemies. Some of my ideas were firing people from Bill Blasters in his throws, having a Pokey appear and fall over for Side Smash, and swinging around a Chain Chomp in some Air moves.

aside from that can we get some love for Wanda the fairy

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
She's not an old character by any means, but I don't think she's likely to be used again for anything else so I'll say Mary O. from Super Mario Maker. She already seems to have gotten a replacement in 2 with Nina (who will likely end up in the same situation of a one and done tutorial character.)

I don't know if you could say she's forgotten and perhaps underused may not fit either given she's fairly recent but as a personified tutorial guide, I highly doubt we'll be seeing her reappear.

However being a character in such a minor role who people don't really think of that much, I think it'd be neat if they put her in as an additional human character in some spin-off titles. As for Smash Bros., I honestly do think she'd be pretty great if they made her a projectile/trap/stage control based character who uses the many items, enemies, terrain parts, etc. available in Mario Maker/2 as her moveset.

Last edited:

Mike Annett

Smash Rookie
The whole SMRPG cast is forgotten but the main reason is that the original characters belong to Square Enix so I can't really count them.

Tatanga and Wart are the ones that make me sad, I like these characters.

Donkey Kong Jr too who disappeared because Nintendo refused the Rareware's interpretation of Donkey Kong's lore (DK Junior is the current DK while Cranky is the Donkey Kong from the arcade game).

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I would say that a generic Koopa (or Koopa Troopa) is a forgotten Mario character for Smash, considering the fact that a generic Koopa is almost never requested as a newcomer (in comparison to other more popular requests such as Geno or Banjo & Kazooie). However, since a generic Piranha Plant made it into Smash as a playable fighter, a Koopa could potentially also. Generic Koopa has been a playable character in other games, such as the Mario Kart series.

Birdo is another forgotten Mario character that could be a playable fighter. Birdo has appeared as a playable character in other Mario games.

Another character that could be in Smash is Poochy from the Yoshi games (though Poochy would most likely be a Yoshi franchise representative, and so he would have an egg symbol next to his attributes instead of a mushroom).

Of the characters on the poll, I'd most want to see Wart be a playable fighter.
Hmm I doubt Koopa Troopa is considered a forgotten character as he is one of the most iconic Mario enemies and has been included in most Mario titles, including the recent ones such as Super Mario Odyssey (as Racers not enemies tho) and in the New Super Mario Bros too.

Birdo is kind of close, but when compared to Stanley the Bugman or Wart, you can easily tell that she has had enough screen time that keeps her from being forgotten, not to mention that she was added to the recent Mario Kart and Mario Tennis titles.

And yeah Poochy would most certainly be a Yoshi rep, and with the recent release of Wooly world, I say that he is anything but forgotten.
But yeah, I'd definitely love to see him making the cut

Anyways, great choice !

Tatanga is so forgotten that's not even in the poll...
What about Tatanga? A comical alien is something Nintendo misses. He also has an interesting body shape, I guess, or at least uncommon in Smash.
Whoops, you're both right. My apologies!!! I'll add him right away.

I had this idea that Captain Goomba from Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions could be a character. His entire moves would revolve around summoning other enemies. Some of my ideas were firing people from Bill Blasters in his throws, having a Pokey appear and fall over for Side Smash, and swinging around a Chain Chomp in some Air moves.

aside from that can we get some love for Wanda the fairy
Cool concept.

And yes, Wanda the fairy coming right up, but what about Cosmo tho? ;)

Last edited:

Mike Annett

Smash Rookie
I definitely think Wart could work as a semi Bowser's clone. Just change the fire by bubbles and the moves using the shell.

Or since Mario Bros 2 is so unique (the whole adventure being a dream), maybe they could use Wart and the rest of his crew for a new franchise that is taking place in a dream.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Apart from my obvious want for Geno, Mallow and Tatanga are two characters I'd kill to see return. Nice to see some people remembering the little alien gremlin, too!!

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Hmm I doubt Koopa Troopa is considered a forgotten character as he is one of the most iconic Mario enemies and has been included in most Mario titles, including the recent ones such as Super Mario Odyssey (as Racers not enemies tho) and in the New Super Mario Bros too.

Birdo is kind of close, but when compared to Stanley the Bugman or Wart, you can easily tell that she has had enough screen time that keeps her from being forgotten, not to mention that she was added to the recent Mario Kart and Mario Tennis titles.

And yeah Poochy would most certainly be a Yoshi rep, and with the recent release of Wooly world, I say that he is anything but forgotten.
But yeah, I'd definitely love to see him making the cut

Anyways, great choice !
I guess by "forgotten" I meant that I rarely see a generic Koopa Troopa and/or Birdo requested as newcomers by players. There are certain characters such as Geno that people request all the time, but not Koopa/Birdo. There was a thread many pages long in which people listed fighters they wanted to see in the game, and I was the first to mention either of these characters. In terms of screen time, generic Koopa Troopa and Birdo (and Waluigi) aren't forgotten.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Had to vote for Geno, but Mallow, Princess Shroob, Wart and Tatanga are fantastic characters too. I would also add Vivian to this list.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Since Foreman Spike doesn’t have a support thread, I might as well just post this here:

If this is true then boy what a pleasant surprise.
Never thought I’d see a dead Mario character on the big screen, specially Foreman Spike himself but boy is it cool to see justice for a forgotten champ like him. Who knows, maybe we could see more familiar yet underused characters like Wart or Stanley the Bugman.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Since Foreman Spike doesn’t have a support thread, I might as well just post this here:

If this is true then boy what a pleasant surprise.
Never thought I’d see a dead Mario character on the big screen, specially Foreman Spike himself but boy is it cool to see justice for a forgotten champ like him. Who knows, maybe we could see more familiar yet underused characters like Wart or Stanley the Bugman.
I feel fairly confident this is a misunderstanding and he’s actually gonna voice the regular enemy Spike

I want this to be real though. I think it’d be really cool…

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Big Geno fan, so I definitely want him! Though I'd say he's not really forgotten here on Smashboards. Love me some big round villains, so Wart would probably be my next pick. I think he'd look awesome if they gave him some love in the redesign department, like they did for Pauline.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Sebastian did say he was “their boss”
To be fair, do we know if he means boss as in "they work for him" or "they fight him"? They might be going for the gaming-lingo-in-non-gaming-settings thing adaptations love to do. I certainly think it's more likely to be Foreman Spike (though that could just be fanboy delusions on my part) as that fits not only his description but also Maniscalco's previous roles.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, do we know if he means boss as in "they work for him" or "they fight him"? They might be going for the gaming-lingo-in-non-gaming-settings thing adaptations love to do. I certainly think it's more likely to be Foreman Spike (though that could just be fanboy delusions on my part) as that fits not only his description but also Maniscalco's previous roles.
It could very well be Sebastian being cheeky but his stand up is usually pretty blunt. Plus having a loud Italian man be the construction site boss of other loud stereotypical Italians works on so many comedic levels. I wouldn’t think the mini boss turtle would be Italian.

Oh I just thought of this too, I can’t imagine his role is all that big in this film. I can see the movie starting with Mario and Luigi quitting their jobs and going on an adventure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom