• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Gates of Hell: Bayonetta Social Thread

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I just wanna start off by saying I ****ing love Bayonetta. The 1st game was fantastic, and one of the few I was more than happy to 100% (all unlocks and achievements). I dont have a wii u yet, so I've yet to play B2.

When we finally got B2 (thank you, Based Nintendo), people started speculating about her being in smash4. I was always on boardwith it, though remained cautiously optimistic. I never said anything like "bayo confirmed!" even when confronted with faked images, because I knew that it was a bit of a long shot. But I always maintained that it was possible.

And here we are, december 2015, and bayonetta is coming to smash4. It's a dream come true!

After she was revealed, I was all like-

So yeah, greetings fellow baeyonetta supporters. Cant wait for feb. 2016.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I hope her stage is legal, just so I can at with awesome music going.
It looks pretty legal though I imagine that floating solid platform might be what turns it into a "counter pick at best" situation, possibly slightly compounded by the two side platforms occasionally promoting camping. I imagine things are looking good for this one (though much like Castle Siege and Delfino I don't think it'll do anything to stop people from going with Smashville or Town & City instead lol).

I also don't necessarily believe she's going to be as overtuned as some people expect partially because every combo she has in the video seems to result in some incredibly low knockback (possibly damage as well) and some of her frame data might be iffy. Unlike Sheik most of her kill moves seem to also be a little bit read based, especially so when you have a mechanic like Witch Time.

But that doesn't stop her from looking amazingly fun to play and really damn good regardless. As a massive Bayonetta fan I can't be any more happy about her being in and she looks like she'll fit in smoothly with all the other characters. I'll be maining her no matter what.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Yeah, I kinda hope the "omg shes gonna be S tier" talk calms down soon. i think she'll be like ryu, where she takes a little bit extra skill to use properly, but rewards you greatly for such.

For example, just rewatching the direct again, and I noticed that her wicked weaves (her smash attacks) have a buttload of endlag.

KujoQueen

Smash Apprentice
Hey Bayonetta fans, I'm two days late but congrats on the new character! I actually used to support her for Smash but people convinced me that she's too lewd... Ha.

She and Cloud were the only good parts of the direct in my opinion

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hey Bayonetta fans, I'm two days late but congrats on the new character! I actually used to support her for Smash but people convinced me that she's too lewd... Ha.

She and Cloud were the only good parts of the direct in my opinion
It's an unpopular opinion (at least as far as the Smash community as a whole goes), but I'm pretty hyped for Corrin too. The direct was great from start to finish in my eyes.

David Viran

Smash Lord
For example, just rewatching the direct again, and I noticed that her wicked weaves (her smash attacks) have a buttload of endlag.
Trying to eye ball frame data is SUPER unreliable. Also changes could happen from now until her release. It probably will have good amount of end lag because it's a smash attack. There are only a select few smash attacks with low end lag.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I don't care about Corrin's character or FE in general, but she looks like an interesting character.

I might pick up/main her, depending on how she plays.

KujoQueen

Smash Apprentice
It's an unpopular opinion (at least as far as the Smash community as a whole goes), but I'm pretty hyped for Corrin too. The direct was great from start to finish in my eyes.
I would've been okay with Corrin who I also used to support if Roy hadn't been in. 6 Fire Emblem characters is somewhat crazy I felt like Smash 5 would've been Corrin's time to shine. I would've preferred a veteran be in Corrin's place.

But Corrin is super unique and I'm glad. And hey, Ike, Marth, and Roy could represent the older Fire Emblem games while Corrin, Robin and Lucina will be the new Fire Emblem games.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I tried estimating Bayonetta's height. Used Rosalina for comparison since she's the tallest female and Bayonetta seemed closer to her than other characters. The Rosalina screenshot is an official one that was actually made as a height comparison and it's at about the same angle as the shot I took from the Bayonetta showcase.

It was something I brought up in another thread so I thought I'd share it here.

I also did this comparison prior but it wasn't that great.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Honestly, it's a good thing if she's shorter than Rosalina. Huge hurtboxes are never good.

Of course, we won't know Bayo's height until when she's released (or at least until closer to her release).

Last edited:

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
The beginning of the direct got me kinda iffy at first because there was another Fire Emblem rep inclusion, but I decided to get over it.

At the end, however, had me thrilled unexpectedly. At that time, I didn't even mind Corrin being in and the reason is that I'd hope Sakurai would deliver at my expectations, which he has with revealing Bayonetta and made the direct end with a bang.

JayMStone

Smash Rookie
Just a thought a few months ahead: I think Bayonetta is going to be a nightmare for Little Mac. Like maybe his 2nd worst matchup behind DDD. The smash attacks leaning over the ledge will destroy his recovery.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Just a thought a few months ahead: I think Bayonetta is going to be a nightmare for Little Mac. Like maybe his 2nd worst matchup behind DDD. The smash attacks leaning over the ledge will destroy his recovery.
What recovery? Cloud's match up would be a great one for similar reasons, but we can use With Time on KO Punch. Only counter that seems to work on it

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Bayonetta's taunts are definitely gonna be S tier. That dance is just fantastic.

Favorite taunt right here (which is, of course, why it's in my signature)

JayMStone

Smash Rookie
I would say it's an unpopular opinion in America.. Japan seems pretty hyped for him/her. I think the character has an awesome moveset, but people are upset about it because it's another FE character.

JayMStone

Smash Rookie
What recovery? Cloud's match up would be a great one for similar reasons, but we can use With Time on KO Punch. Only counter that seems to work on it
IMO, both mac's side b and up b. They don't autosnap so it just becomes a timing thing at that point. Could be wrong, but I think Bayo-LM will be 65-35 ish.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
As much as I said "What? Seriously?" as soon as we saw Fire Emblem, I'm definitely hyped for Corrin too. Looks almost too unique, and seems fun as well.

Another waifu as a secondary character.

I would say it's an unpopular opinion in America.. Japan seems pretty hyped for him/her. I think the character has an awesome moveset, but people are upset about it because it's another FE character.
Considering how popular Corrin, or should I say Kamui, is in Japan, it's no wonder that he is received well.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I don't get why people think Fire Emblem is any less deserving than Pokemon and Mario to have 6 reps. It's been incredibly popular as of late and they certainly have enough characters to work with.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I don't get why people think Fire Emblem is any less deserving than Pokemon and Mario to have 6 reps. It's been incredibly popular as of late and they certainly have enough characters to work with.
Because they didn't get a [insert another serie here] character of course! :awesome:

As a Zelda fan, it's been some years that I've been waiting for a newcomer. It's one of the most iconic Nintendo franchise, ect... But it's ok. Compared to many people, I see all the content Zelda got besides the playable characters: assist trophies, items and stages, the serie is still well represented. Plus, Link Zelda and Ganondorf are technically all that we need.

But enough about Zelda. Americans and europeans are still not really that much familiar with Fire Emblem, yet it's a BIG thing in Japan.

I'm not shocked by the Marth / Ike / Daraen / Corrin roster. (also, it's good that Robin is Daraen in Europe, because Robin / Corrin sound too close :troll:). It's diversified, the characters have different abilities (brute force, magic tomes, dragon transformation...).
Lucina is a pure bonus, and Roy is definitely more a Melee fanservice more than "another swordman".
And the serie have only one assist and no items.

The serie does have a lot of characters, but they are all main characters, with their distinct gimmick.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Personally speaking I feel that if Sakurai really wanted to go for a character that's blatantly promoting a title yet is still creative enough to justify itself, he should have just bit the bullet on making the Splatoon Inklings instead of just leaving them as Mii Costumes. I dunno but I feel that what with that game being such a massive runaway success, they easily seemed to be the most obvious choice if you'd approach Nintendo asking to fund another first party rep, but I assume an inking mechanic would be hard to pull off with 3DS weighing them down.

That and considering things like Sakurai showing up on FE concerts etc. he seems to be a huge fan of Fire Emblem so there's probably some bias involved in his selection on that end. Thankfully Corrin looks unique enough though.

Giova

Smash Cadet
Yeah I secondaried Pikachu and Kirby BUT THEN I HEARD HER VOICE. AS SOON AS I HEARD HER VOICE I KNEW, and that is where my second main came in, sorry Pika, Sorry Kirby but you guys are dropped hard
I main Pikachu too! But on february that rat is going to the dropped realm!

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
One day, I'll understand America's love for christmas ugly sweaters.
Actually, our affinity for Christmas sweaters came from the 1984 TV show the Cosby Show, where Cliff Huxtable (Bill Cosby) wore ugly sweaters all the time, but Bill Cosby was so swaggy that people started wearing ugly sweaters too. Most people dont even really know much about the Cosby show nowadays, but that ugly Christmas sweater connection lives on. Fun Fact!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Actually, our affinity for Christmas sweaters came from the 1984 TV show the Cosby Show, where Cliff Huxtable (Bill Cosby) wore ugly sweaters all the time, but Bill Cosby was so swaggy that people started wearing ugly sweaters too. Most people dont even really know much about the Cosby show nowadays, but that ugly Christmas sweater connection lives on. Fun Fact!
Thanks for the fact!

Funny how a TV show can start a trend.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
IMO, both mac's side b and up b. They don't autosnap so it just becomes a timing thing at that point. Could be wrong, but I think Bayo-LM will be 65-35 ish.
She also seems like she has the tools to carry him offstage very easily with her combo game. We'll see how it plays out but for now Dsmash alone looks like a nightmare for Mac

For me personally, it's partially a frustration with how similar they are (Game based around a weapon triangle yet EVERY SINGLE FE REP USES SWORD) and the fact that, like Robin, Kamui is a customizable character. My "Robin" had a different name, looked ten years older and was a super burly barbarian with a Greataxe, so I have no connection to the Robin of this game. Doing that once is fine and all, but it's annoying to do it a second time because I'm sure my Kamui isn't going to be anything like Corrin either.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Honestly, it's a good thing if she's shorter than Rosalina. Huge hurtboxes are never good.

Of course, we won't know Bayo's height until when she's released (or at least until closer to her release).
It kinda goes both ways. Larger bodies also mean larger hitboxes for physical moves, which is actually a good thing on fast fighters, and Bayonetta is mostly physical.

I think that comparison is pretty much her height though, looks about right comparing it to the scene where Rosalina and Bayonetta are both there in the trailer.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
But where are the Torture Attacks?
I can't see them making those work no matter how much they're toned down.

After all, there aren't many ways you can make shoving someone into an iron maiden or pushing someone into a treadmill of blades very family-friendly.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Her pummel appears to be a reference to one of them. According to GameXplain's mini-analysis anyway.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I can't see them making those work no matter how much they're toned down.

After all, there aren't many ways you can make shoving someone into an iron maiden or pushing someone into a treadmill of blades very family-friendly.
Il all honesty, I think that the Iron maiden could work, but it's the limit. And there's the opponent size problem.

Except the tombstone, there's no other torture that could really make the cut, though...

Too bad, we will never see the wooden horse :troll:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Her pummel appears to be a reference to one of them. According to GameXplain's mini-analysis anyway.
Her pummel is a reference to her Punish Attacks, not her Torture Attacks.

To be more specific, it's a reference to the one where an angel is stuck in the ground and Bayonetta starts... well, spanking them.

UkeNicky

Smash Ace
NNID
UkeNicky
I'm here from the Zelda social.
I made a promise that if Bayonetta was added to Smash I'd get back on Smash Boards forums and contribute to the Bayo forums :D so hiii everyone!

SHE'S IN, YESSS. P.S. it's sorta cool to be back

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I made a promise that if Bayonetta was added to Smash I'd get back on Smash Boards forums and contribute to the Bayo forums :D so hiii everyone!

Well, hello~ Welcome to our special little corner of hell~

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
The fact that Witch time is able to function as a time slow and an super armor dodge (in a sense) is really good. Honestly can't wait to see how creative people will get with her combos!

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788

Welcome back, sisT. I definitely haven't seen you in a while.

It's funny how the first thing we ever talked about was Bayonetta, and now look at us.

Top Bottom