• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ganonic Grimoire - Kongregation of Kings

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I just noticed that Bair is like a mini Warlock Punch
You're right. Both moves involve a meaty backfist.

On another note, the darkness seems to be growing in my household. My nine year old sister has taken up Ganondorf, and tries to land as many up tilts and warlock punches as possible when my siblings and I play free for alls. It seems we have a future demon queen.

Last edited:

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
There's also many situations where you don't even need the footstool. The wizkick will true combo anyways.

However the footstool looks like it might make it easier to combo. Good stuff.

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
While this looks dirty as hell (and i love it), can't you simply use a FH for the footstool so that you have your double after the wiz foot so you have a better chance at recovering?
It is possible to do a FH, but I found really hard to do. Had to it in 1/4 Speed in Training.
There is a small possibility you can land super close to the ledge to avoid going off-stage

Shmeckie

Smash Cadet
NNID
shmeckie
I don't know how many of you have seen these, but they certainly made me view Dorf very differently, but in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-CKeklGVog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlqJZSk2GVY
"Is Ganondorf GOOD?"

...No... No he is not. He's the Zelda universe's equivalent to the Antichrist. He murders people en masse. He tormented Hyrule in OoT simply for his own amusement. He fed the Gorons to Volvagia for the lulz and almost wiped them off the planet. That's right, the dude was a stones throw away from committing genocide for his own amusement. He froze the entire Zora race under ice because their king said he wasn't cool with Ganondorf ruling Hyrule. He's so ****ing heinous the creators of the universe themselves had to step in when took over Hyrule. He turned an entire race into monsters and enabled the delusions of a frothing madman all to feed on the suffering of Hyrule while he destroyed it. Just because his speech in Wind Waker humanized him doesn't make him any less of a monster.

There's a reason they don't just call him the King of Evil, but the Great King of Evil. The demons, monsters, and scumbags of the Zelda universe don't bow to him unquestioningly because they respect him as such a misunderstood dude. he's Zelda's Satan given human form.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
There's no borderline for how bad a demonically possessed Well-intentioned extremist can be while acting as the bad guy.

Last edited:

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Yeah, windwaker gave him a sympathetic interpretation, but that doesn't mean anyone needs to consider it that way. Those videos are a bit clickbaity game theory knockoff stuff. If they released a zelda game where you played as ganon before he became evil(kinda like Metal Gear Solid 3) it'd be pretty cool but as it is I like the purely evil power ganon secretes.

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva
I didn't think of him as being anything but evil, but it makes me understand his evil a bit better. I'd rather see him as an interesting villain with motives beyond being evil just because it gives him his jollies. From a story standpoint it makes him less one-dimensional. That's why I like WW Dorf so much, and the theory behind TP Dorf makes things more interesting. I like thinking of him as a very deep kind of evil.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Now that I think of it the title is quite misleading. Nevertheless, I like character developement, rather than having a generic, Ganglion-like "I'm gonna destroy your world, fetch your species and, since I'm at it
fetch half of the indigens of your new home planet and eat the other half, all the while subduing random aliens
cuz I can" that screams SEQUEL everywhere.

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I'm currently taking a break from my Youtube channel, but when I get back, I plan to make a Ganondorf Moveset Analysis, something that I also did with Wario, where I go over his moves/animations to try to find connections. One I suddenly noticed today might be shocking...

His Warlock Punch. You know in Melee, Ganon used the same sound clip for his Warlock Punch as he did for the darkness wave attack in Ocarina of Time (where he stunned Link right before the boss battle against him began). Sure, they were completely different moves, but the sound clip was the same, so there were SOME form of connection there.

Then move over to Smash 4. What does Ganondorf do? He charges up his hand, thrusts his arm forward, and sends out dark waves of magic out of his forehand. Even though it's the punch itself that damages, he's still sending out darkness out of his forehand. And what does Ganondorf do in OOT, like I just explained above? He holds up his forehand, "charging" it by making the triforce appearing on it, and sends out darkness waves out of it. This made me go "WOW!" when I thought about it. I STRONGLY believe that the Warlock Punch = The darkness wave thingy Ganon does in OOT before the boss battle begins. The only difference is that he punches in Smash, and that the darkness waves don't damage in Smash.

To make it even more accurate, then take his Warlock Thrust custom special. There, it's the waves that damages, not the punch.

What do you guys think? :O

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
I'm currently taking a break from my Youtube channel, but when I get back, I plan to make a Ganondorf Moveset Analysis, something that I also did with Wario, where I go over his moves/animations to try to find connections. One I suddenly noticed today might be shocking...

His Warlock Punch. You know in Melee, Ganon used the same sound clip for his Warlock Punch as he did for the darkness wave attack in Ocarina of Time (where he stunned Link right before the boss battle against him began). Sure, they were completely different moves, but the sound clip was the same, so there were SOME form of connection there.

Then move over to Smash 4. What does Ganondorf do? He charges up his hand, thrusts his arm forward, and sends out dark waves of magic out of his forehand. Even though it's the punch itself that damages, he's still sending out darkness out of his forehand. And what does Ganondorf do in OOT, like I just explained above? He holds up his forehand, "charging" it by making the triforce appearing on it, and sends out darkness waves out of it. This made me go "WOW!" when I thought about it. I STRONGLY believe that the Warlock Punch = The darkness wave thingy Ganon does in OOT before the boss battle begins. The only difference is that he punches in Smash, and that the darkness waves don't damage in Smash.

To make it even more accurate, then take his Warlock Thrust custom special. There, it's the waves that damages, not the punch.

Thats interesting, and I support the idea of you making a video
(Internally thinks it's another smash dude plugging their 40 sub replay channel but I may as well check it out
goes to profile
goes to channel
large amount of edited content and top 10 lists?
checks sub count
50,000?!?!?!?!?! WOW)

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva
Know what would have been a nice detail? If Sakurai put the triforce on Dorf's hand with the piece of power glowing when he throws his punch.

Shmeckie

Smash Cadet
NNID
shmeckie

Eh, I don't think so. However, there was an article that noted how several of Ganon's attacks, animation wise, do reference quite a bit of stuff from previous games (TP mostly).

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/07/ganondorf-smash-bros/#ChangesAfterMelee

While they're definitely reaching with the Warlock Punch, everything else here is spot on. If you look at the animations side by side, you can see it's not just conjecture or guessing here; everything about these animations, poses, etc. are identical. Hell, the Flame Choke alone references 3 different games in its animations! They're not just similar looking, either, look at the positioning of his arms, legs, etc. They're identical!

Despite him sharing Falcon's fighting style, they referenced his canon appearances more than people give Sakurai and Co. credit for.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Eh, I don't think so. However, there was an article that noted how several of Ganon's attacks, animation wise, do reference quite a bit of stuff from previous games (TP mostly).

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/07/ganondorf-smash-bros/#ChangesAfterMelee

While they're definitely reaching with the Warlock Punch, everything else here is spot on. If you look at the animations side by side, you can see it's not just conjecture or guessing here; everything about these animations, poses, etc. are identical. Hell, the Flame Choke alone references 3 different games in its animations! They're not just similar looking, either, look at the positioning of his arms, legs, etc. They're identical!

Despite him sharing Falcon's fighting style, they referenced his canon appearances more than people give Sakurai and Co. credit for.
Exactly. I still believe in the Warlock Punch being the dark wave attack, but :p I had also thought about many of these before reading this article, but several of them surprised me! Like his victory poses, and his Jab. I'm a LOT more respectful towards Ganon in Smash now. He definitely have representations, it's just that his clone moves overshadows them for people.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I guess the Social thread is for everything Dorf related?

ZSS. How...do...I... beat...her? You have no Idea how frustrated I got today :\ I faced a player on FG today. He used ZSS and Mac. He was the typical Mac noob (running in with Dash attack, spam Smash attacks, etc). Then as ZSS, he spammed Lazers, and he would mix it in with Down B to both get away from me, or hit me. Then he would roll away from me (faster than I could run, obviously), and continue. He could fire a lazer, then jump and space, fast fall and fire again, and suddenly go in for a grab. I'm not kidding: I couldn't touch the ground. She could fire so fast, even if I shielded, she would be able to fire another one before I got even close to her. And if I got hit with a grab, I got KOd as early as 80%. Seriously, I couldn't touch the ground at all, since it was always covered with lazers. And when she fired a lazer and jumped in case I jumped, she was too far away for me to reach her with Ganon's bad air mobility. Then she would land, prepare a lazer for when I landed, and so on. I could barely touch her.

And when she used her Down B now and then - it's impossible to read it. It comes out so fast, and who knows if she would go for a grab, or a Down B, or a forward Smash, or whatever - I need to be prepared for the grab especially, right? So when she used the Down B, she could easily get away from me and continue this wall of lazers that I couldn't even get close to...

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Shouldn't this go in the match-up discussion?
Anyway, first things first, see this video for everything concerning Up B, including the combo that ends with it
Second, don't play online if you can't even react to something as telegraphed as a Down B or a Forward Smash, the best you can do is just stay out of those things' range, because lag OP(even if I hardly ever encountered enough lag that didn't let me at least powershield her Down B).
Mix-up jumping over projectiles and powershielding them make her harder to react to it.
Finally, your primary goal in order to land when above her is dodge those land traps is A-land an aerial, if there's no other choice, go YOLO and read her incoming attack to pnish it with Lateral Side Aerials, Nair or Uair, if she goes too high fetching you just wizkick(of course I'm implying that it's so high that you don't get its landing lag).
And be happy that people you encounter know how to fastfall.

jigglesthepuff

Smash Apprentice
so i made this really crappy darth vader ganon picture in 20 minutes:

the original picture was this:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
It will actually be streamed on http://www.twitch.tv/circlelevels.
adom and I will be teaming so make sure to tune in tomorrow for some hot Ganon on DDD action. also pls root for us pls
You guys will kick some ass I'm sure lol.

Also seeing you around reminds me I have a character block vs d3, no idea why but that penguin gives me more headaches than Sheik/ZSS combined lol. Everyone I played with recently informed e me that the d3 I struggle with was not an issue when they played and ugh I'm just at a loss most of m worst mus are vs bad characters lol.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
You guys will kick some *** I'm sure lol.

Also seeing you around reminds me I have a character block vs d3, no idea why but that penguin gives me more headaches than Sheik/ZSS combined lol. Everyone I played with recently informed e me that the d3 I struggle with was not an issue when they played and ugh I'm just at a loss most of m worst mus are vs bad characters lol.
I personally don't know much about the D3 matchup, but I do know you have to play super patient.

Shmeckie

Smash Cadet
NNID
shmeckie
I've played a few Dededes. Play him myself as a secondary. He can be tough, but if you can condition him he becomes a cakewalk. Ganon has answers to most of Dedede's arsenal, it's just a matter of knowing what's coming. N-air those Gordos, abuse Flame Choke, space those aerials. If you know what he's going to do, you can counter him pretty easy. Watch for the player's habits.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Yeah patience admittedly isn't my strong point lol.

Honestly I'm aware of everything I need to do but just have a hard time applying it.

Shmeckie

Smash Cadet
NNID
shmeckie
I feel you, brother, I'm the same way against Link. I know what to do, and if I really try I can pull it off, but eventually the tedium of a matchup like that gets to you and you start yelling "screw it" and going in harder than you should.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Got 1st in my pool, only dropped one game against a sonic.
Also got 9th at dubs with Slavoslav.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Finished 17th, lost to a mii Brawler in losers 2-1 last hit (he also got 2nd in doubles), a bit salty since it was like last hit but i'm pretty happy with my performance, i just wish i had more opportunity to play offline more :/.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
That's not bad at all, you main ganondorf and got 17th out of 100+ entrants bro.

How did slav do in singles?

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Went on FG and recently I got some stylish **** with Ganondorf. Here are the results.

1. Down airing a player, but he teched it. Too bad I down b'd right after he teched.
2. I got a down throw to nair to side b at the ledge.
3. I knocked a ness player offstage (the spammy ness players, y'know) and I tried to edge guard. He PK rocketed me but I etched the wall and I used side b.

This was so funny.

Zam053

Smash Cadet
Went on FG and recently I got some stylish **** with Ganondorf. Here are the results.

1. Down airing a player, but he teched it. Too bad I down b'd right after he teched.
2. I got a down throw to nair to side b at the ledge.
3. I knocked a ness player offstage (the spammy ness players, y'know) and I tried to edge guard. He PK rocketed me but I etched the wall and I used side b.

This was so funny.
This is not your Twitter.

Zam053

Smash Cadet
I dunno... I still find this kind of post a little bit... Odd to post here. I know, they respect the topic's function, but I don't think people would find a lot of interest of saying such things.

But then I remember that I sometimes make posts like that on the Skype group and then I learn some pretty neaty stuff, so there's that.

Top Bottom