• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Game Awards 2019 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I don't think the issue is Bravely being too new in general I just think it's too new compared to the other SE franchises/characters that haven't gotten into Smash. Seeing as how they got FF first and then DQ it seems like they'd go based on what they see as being iconic and/or what Sakurai personally asks for.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Bruh new in terms of how many games have actually been released for the series to date. 5 years really isn't that long ago either compared to the other SE series I mentioned.
Bayonetta wasn't much older when she got into Smash, especially compared to SEGA's other long-running franchises. Persona also was prioritized over older ATLUS games (not to mention we only got content from newer Persona games).

Age isn't everything.

D

Deleted member

I really don’t think sabi and verge are dead. They never said 5 will be at the game awards so what gives?

Droodle

Smash Lord
How would you rank The World Ends With You in terms of SE series? It currently only has one game, sure, but it’s very popular and has been ported like two, three times now? And people have been clamoring for a sequel since like ever
Neku is probably my most wanted Square Enix character, but the series isn't that ridiculously popular in terms of sales (Final Remix was a flop financially). That said the fanbase is pretty dedicated, and Nintendo did manage to get it for the Switch. So who knows? The bravely games have definitely sold more though.

There have been rumours of TWEWY 2 being announced next year by Tansut (leaker who leaked Cloud for Smash); but even then I can't say if that's true or not. That said, if TWEWY is going to be confirmed in the KH DLC; Neku's chances and popularity would rise up a ton.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Bayonetta wasn't much older when she got into Smash, especially compared to SEGA's other long-running franchises. Persona also was prioritized over older ATLUS games (not to mention we only got content from newer Persona games).

Age isn't everything.
Sure. Demand also has a bit to do with it. Bayonetta at least had popularity in terms of fan demand behind her when she got in as did Inklings. This thread is the first time I've seen people legitimately say they want BD characters in SSBU when compared to characters like Geno, Sora, 2B, Sephiroth, etc.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I really don’t think sabi and verge are dead. They never said 5 will be at the game awards so what gives?
Even if they did, I don't think we would be that lucky. For those around during SSB4 base speculation, remember how much it took to get rid of gematsu, who only posted twice and didn't outright demand our attention?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sure. Demand also has a bit to do with it. Bayonetta at least had popularity in terms of fan demand behind her when she got in as did Inklings. This thread is the first time I've seen people legitimately say they want BD characters in SSBU when compared to characters like Geno, Sora, 2B, Sephiroth, etc.
It's anecdotal for sure, but as someone who would vastly prefer Lara Croft, I've definitely seen a bit of Bravely love in a Smash context. Agnès in particular had a weirdly large amount of fake leaks attributed to her.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
hey uhhhhh where's our thread???
The raids, Sabi/Fatman drama, and the off topic discussion got us locked.

It's anecdotal for sure, but as someone who would vastly prefer Lara Croft, I've definitely seen a bit of Bravely love in a Smash context. Agnès in particular had a weirdly large amount of fake leaks attributed to her.
I just remembered how many of those there were for base.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
welcome to the agnes leak saga, i'm your host panda

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I've seen Lara Croft smash talk more than BD too really. I'm also going off of poll results. They're not all encompassing but BD characters just don't pop up on them as often as other SE characters.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Are people still doubting Sabi and Verge? Because I still see no reason to.

If anyone can give me a good reason to doubt them, I’d really like to hear it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh yeah, I never ended up talking about the Awards themselves here lol.

I really enjoyed them, over all. I think they could've condensed the preshow into the back half of the actual show since it was lighter on content, but that likely had to do with things like Half Life Alyx dropping out.

And hey, Three Houses got tied for third highest award count, tied with Sekiro with two awards, and only below Death Stranding's three and Disco Elysium's four. Hell yeah.

Droodle

Smash Lord
You know what screw Bravely/Geno/Nier/Mana/Chrono.

Put Neku Sakuraba in as the next Smash character.

He's got:
-Insane moveset potential.
-Crossover appeal with the Kingdom Hearts Fanbase.
-A unique partner system.
-Great music.

What more do you need for a cool Smash character?

Neku_Sakuraba.png

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know what screw Bravely/Geno/Nier/Mana/Chrono.

Put Neku Sakuraba in as the next Smash character.

He's got:
-Insane moveset potential.
-Crossover appeal with the Kingdom Hearts Fanbase.
-A unique partner system.
-Great music.

What more do you need for a cool Smash character?

View attachment 252817
Finally, someone gets it!

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Age isn't everything.
Precisely. The depiction of Super Smash's roster shouldn't skew too heavily on older series.

I would even argue that they shouldn't focus entirely on fan favorite characters as well. The roster would be more one-sided if that was always the case, and we probably wouldn't have characters like Captain Falcon and Wii Fit Trainer.

Basically more wacky s*** from every era would better portray video game's history imo.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't know about anyone else but I'm tired of playing guess who for 37 days straight.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've seen Lara Croft smash talk more than BD too really. I'm also going off of poll results. They're not all encompassing but BD characters just don't pop up on them as often as other SE characters.
Oh yeah, it definitely gets talked about less often than Tomb Raider does.

Though for the polling thing, that might be because votes would be split between several characters. Agnès, Edea, Ringabel, and the fourth guy could've had them split.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Oh yeah, it definitely gets talked about less often than Tomb Raider does.

Though for the polling thing, that might be because votes would be split between several characters. Agnès, Edea, Ringabel, and the fourth guy could've had them split.
The fourth guy as in Tiz? Poor Tiz reduced to "that forth guy" lol

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman

It's not that I doubt them, I'm just tired of both speculation beginning and ending at their game of guess who, and the constant drama and s***flinging they (ESPECIALLY Sabi) just seem to attract here. Speculation is supposed to be fun. If I wanted to be insulted for who I like I'd go to /v/.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

Ingoreing that Sabi got minor reveals incorrect, and wrote them in a way so he can easily backpedal the **** out

I think just in general, on how they keep assisting on these deconfirmes, and how there reasoning and expectations where not adding up or making sense, all around near the TGAs

It's not surprising how it all blown up in there faces

In general, they're behavior and smugness aren't helping

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
It's not that I doubt them, I'm just tired of both speculation beginning and ending at their game of guess who, and the constant drama and s***flinging they (ESPECIALLY Sabi) just seem to attract here. Speculation is supposed to be fun. If I wanted to be insulted for who I like I'd go to /v/.
If either of them screw up FP5, can we as a community please run them off into obscurity for good? Just like we did with Loz18, Xenother, Hitagi, ect?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If either of them screw up FP5, can we as a community please run them off into obscurity for good? Just like we did with Loz18, Xenother, Hitagi, ect?
Just you wait for Fighter Five to be a Skull Kid and Katalina tag team, putting Loz and Hitagi back in the mix.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Ingoreing that Sabi got minor reveals incorrect, and wrote them in a way so he can easily backpedal the **** out

I think just in general, on how they keep assisting on these deconfirmes, and how there reasoning and expectations where not adding up or making sense, all around near the TGAs

It's not surprising how it all blown up in there faces

In general, they're behavior and smugness aren't helping
Could you link the tweets where they implied those reveals?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Except, and I mean no offense by this, but as we've seen countless times before; THE SMASH AUDIENCE IS FICKLE and there is no universally wanted character that will be loved by everybody. Like seriously it happened 2 days ago with a ton of people bandwagonning onto KOS-MOS, it'll happen again. If a Bravely character eventually starts looking likely, I guarantee you people will say "Oh, this franchise is awesome and I've wanted BLANK in Smash for a long time".

And besides, I'm not arguing that a Bravely character is "likely"; I'm arguing that they have a good enough shot to warrant some decent discussion. In terms of Square reps, Sora makes the most sense (technically Disney) in terms of popularity; followed by 2B, and then maybe Bob and Bub. But that's not to say a Bravely/Geno is impossible.

The most discussed Square Enix character on this site is Geno, a relatively niche character from a spin-off (that doesn't even have a huge presence within it's own franchise), not to mention the lack of bigger playable characters like Toad/King Boo/Waluigi. His call to fame was literally a bandwagon because of a Newgrounds video, and his fanbase was nearly dead back in Smash 4 but because Sakurai literally talked about him seriously, people started supporting him way more .

So in the end, I fail to see how a Bravely rep is that much more unlikely then Geno, and I think the series warrants some more serious discussion on this site.

Chances are that neither Geno nor a Bravely character will end up getting in; but that shouldn't stop discussion on either of them.
Here's my thing with Bravely. It has to have some defining feature to really make it a viable candidate for Smash. Geno has the fan support angle and Sakurai's approval. Lara Croft has being the first woman of gaming. 2B has being a massive hit that Sakurai has talked very positively about from a revered and highly stylized Japanese creator. Chrono Trigger has the fact it basically gets thrown to the top of every best SNES RPG list, and Sora manages to get fan demand and being from bloody Kingdom Hearts. Hell, even The World Ends with You has an extreme style that makes it stand out despite not having a whole lot else to fall back on sales or fandom wise.

Bravely is mostly just aping Final Fantasy (on purpose mind you, but it doesn't give it much of an identity) with little to no fan support, a pretty weak showing after the initial hype for the first game died down, and seemingly no mentions from Sakurai either. I just don't see a whole lot that Bravely brings to the table. That's what I'm saying, I just don't see a whole lot of defining elements that make it a particularly "good pick" for Smash. It reminds me a lot of my Assassin's Creed criticism. Yes, it's a popular IP, but it just doesn't do a whole lot to stand out or make itself a better pick for Smash. And even it as the "classic JRPG revival series" managed to get completely usurped by Octopath Traveler.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
As much as I don’t want Verge’s decon-list to be true... the guy had Ken, Incineroar, no-grinch-leak, Erdrick, and Banjo right.

The timing for Erdrick was off, but we can see how:
1) Things can get included (Joker) and removed (Half Life Alyx, Sonic’s appearance) at the last minute at the VGA.

2) Evidence has pointed at Erdrick being developed early and was meant to be included for Base game, but got pushed to DLC to make the songs cheaper. (Also, Kirby’s hat being Erdrick’s headgear rather than Eleven’s hair). So Hero might have been meant to be shown at VGA originally, but changed at the last second. Maybe midway through they thought of making Eleven the main protag instead of ERdrick, I don’t know...

Point is, as much as I want him to be wrong this time, there’s a smaller chance of that happening, than hin getting yet another thing right. :(

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Here's my thing with Bravely. It has to have some defining feature to really make it a viable candidate for Smash. Geno has the fan support angle and Sakurai's approval. Lara Croft has being the first woman of gaming. 2B has being a massive hit that Sakurai has talked very positively about from a revered and highly stylized Japanese creator. Chrono Trigger has the fact it basically gets thrown to the top of every best SNES RPG list, and Sora manages to get fan demand and being from bloody Kingdom Hearts. Hell, even The World Ends with You has an extreme style that makes it stand out despite not having a whole lot else to fall back on sales or fandom wise.

Bravely is mostly just aping Final Fantasy (on purpose mind you, but it doesn't give it much of an identity) with little to no fan support, a pretty weak showing after the initial hype for the first game died down, and seemingly no mentions from Sakurai either. I just don't see a whole lot that Bravely brings to the table. That's what I'm saying, I just don't see a whole lot of defining elements that make it a particularly "good pick" for Smash. It reminds me a lot of my Assassin's Creed criticism. Yes, it's a popular IP, but it just doesn't do a whole lot to stand out or make itself a better pick for Smash. And even it as the "classic JRPG revival series" managed to get completely usurped by Octopath Traveler.
Bravely gave us Gentlepanda, which is better than say, Mario's legacy

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Neku seems more reasonable than Sora but I still think Geno should be the next Square Enix character. The demand and the presence of :ultridley::ultkrool: and :ultbanjokazooie: really makes his absence a real elephant in the room.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Maybe midway through they thought of making Eleven the main protag instead of ERdrick, I don’t know...
When exactly did they consider making Erdrick an alt instead of the main hero, considering that the DQ stage is from XI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom