• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The first time I've been hyped for a game in years

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Link to original post: [drupal=4671]The first time I've been hyped for a game in years[/drupal]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMi_63T9lHw

Contra's one of the very few that has done nothing but progress from its conception, and continues to do so. To me, the various iterations of Contras throughout the years have shown that a game series can evolve without a reboot, surgical amendments or novelties. Each entry's maintained the same legendary level of difficulty and genuine test of gaming capability, and continually cycled through fresh ideas to keep the series dynamic and respectable. (Ignoring the Appaloosa installments lol)

Even if you've never played a Contra before, I strongly recommend picking this up. I support the series for so many reasons, but the only one you need to know immediately is that Konami's immaculately maintained the integrity of the series for just about a quarter of a century. Just as respectable is that despite the overwhelming pressure of the modern game industry to iterate a formulaic multimillion dollar "masterpiece" to receive acclaim and validation (especially in the West), Konami stalwartly maintains the simple brilliance of Contra gameplay instead of obfuscating its simplicity with every masturbatory addition they can, on the grounds that it's "modern." It's one of the few series I still invest 100% faith into to not sacrifice substance for accessibility, and to simply be an amazing game in all regards.

Seriously. I encourage you all to pick it up.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I love Contra, we talked about Contra before IIRC. (Ramses?)

Anyways, great stuff. Too bad I missed the trailer for so long, haha.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I will pick it up if it's more than just a flaming letter C on my screen, after all, not every revival is necessarily going to turn out well.

I mean who knows they might ruin it for accessibility reasons.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Whaaaaaaaaaaa Contra?!?!? I was SO good at this game when I was 4 xD. It's one of the games that have left me many good memories <3. I tried to play it again on an emlutor a few years ago. It took me less than 5 seconds to die.

We are going to play Contra together, my Brosuke!

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I will pick it up if it's more than just a flaming letter C on my screen, after all, not every revival is necessarily going to turn out well.

I mean who knows they might ruin it for accessibility reasons.
Oh, it definitely will be. I don't think they'll butcher it though. Contra's had regular installations every few years or so for the past 25 years; each was just amazing. Contra's always prided itself as a hardcore game, so I can't conceive that Konami'd betray its legacy (though, we don't speak of Castlevanina: LoS <_<)

Yessir, I believe we did. :colorful:

Whaaaaaaaaaaa Contra?!?!? I was SO good at this game when I was 4 xD. It's one of the games that have left me many good memories <3. I tried to play it again on an emlutor a few years ago. It took me less than 5 seconds to die.

We are going to play Contra together, my Brosuke!
That's what's so awesome about it. It's so ludicrously difficult, but the more you play, it's like figuring out a puzzle of which is the best way to do what, most timely routes, etc. It's ostensible progress and its just really rewarding.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
That's what's so awesome about it. It's so ludicrously difficult, but the more you play, it's like figuring out a puzzle of which is the best way to do what, most timely routes, etc. It's ostensible progress and its just really rewarding.
Yes, definitely! What I really liked was that Contra rarely gave me that frustrating "you're close but not close enough to beating this level!" sentiment. You would either get *****, or just lose (but you did much better this time!) or succeed.

Also multiplayer rocked!

We should man, we should.

Why don't you ever come over?
Will: 100
Money: 0

'Where there is a will, there is a way' doesn't go for those with financial issues since my way to you costs me money Dx.

My childhoooood!

Also, I just realized that, for its time, Contra's soundtrack was quite good!

:phone:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'd like to think it'll be awesome but for some reason the only Contra I really enjoyed 100 percent and still play is the original. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed the later games... but I ended up either trading them in or selling them or in the case of the release of Contra: Rebirth on WiiWare, buying it and never even completing it.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I liked Goldeneye Wii. >:/

Top Bottom