• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fearsome 4 Matchups for my Yoshi and a "Rising Aerial Problems" *Update*

SPIRE_FAN

Smash Cadet
So months after the first thread about my personal Rising Aerial Problems, I have drastically improved my game to incorporate it and I have gotten a lot more used to it.

But... while I can do DJC or Rising Aerial by my command now, last night at my weeklies I kept doing neutral air rising aerial when I wanted DJC Netural.

I think a lot of it was just me in a tournament environment (At times I let people/spectators around get to me just from their presence... but I am working on it as a personal goal), but I will say that stuff like this will just take more practice.

Yes it can be hard playing Yoshi in 64, Melee, and P:M at the same time. But I love it so much, in fact, playing N64 a little bit more has helped me with my double jump cancel up air in the other games. And the use of Yoshi's up-tilt in P:M has helped me use it in 64 a lot more (A LOT).

As for matchups, here are the ones I have found the most troubling after 2 to 3 months of Tourny Play in P:M (please throw in any advice or your own personal views on such matchups) (these are just short summaries)

Ganondorf: We have a pretty Good Ganondorf player here in my scene and though I would say our win ratio's in tournaments have been pretty even. I've noticed he has improved quite well in our matchup.
- His Down B can be a killer for me when we go into a grounded neutral game.
- Trades sometimes are in his favor in terms of damage and Knockback
- It can be hard to escape a 2nd grab (Re-grab) from Flame Choke

Bowser: We also have a very good Bowser Player. While I think Egg's and Down Air are crucial in this matchup, here are the general problems I've been having
- A lot of my game is based upon good ground game, so I often make approaches with Side-B or Aerials (DJC or R.A.). The problem with this is Bowser's Armor and how it can soak in the approach and dish a HEAVY punish.
- Any mistake (referring mainly to my Rising Aerial Problems) could potentially cost me Major Damage or even a stock.

Zelda: This one can seem pretty obvious.
- Approaching can be hard.. really hard. Yoshi is a very approach heavy of a character, if a lot of that is shut down... ouch.
- I don't Parry reliably and even if.. at times Zelda's aerials will get the KO or Hit they desired.

Mario: Tough, tough, tough, tough. One of my Best Friends plays Mario and he definitely beats me more than I beat him.
- Fireballs control my approaches A TON. I often have to switch up the way I jump and run when fireballs head my way when it comes to approach and neutral game (and anything really). And in fighting games (and anything competitive really), you NEVER want to play the opponents game, you want them to play yours (Mindgames 101), and the fireballs do just that, make me play his game.
- Cape is a big obstacle for Egg's. Though I can start making bait games once I predict it well.
- Forward smash at above medium percent.. Done (KO).... (often a fireball will go into one for the KO)
- Down B is a really good Counter to DJC approaches. My friend can often set-up frame-traps with Down B when we play this matchup
- If I don't act out of shield and mix it up.... Back Throw... Done.
- The Doc hit, yet another tool for Mario that alters and controls my approach and neutral game more

Those are my "Fearsome 4" atm, but I will continue to work out these matchups. Right now I do second Ness and only use him against these 4 in tournaments. And man, what a difference. A secondary like Ness has helped me SO MUCH against these 4 atm. But I do really really wish to get better at these matchups with Yoshi.

Last edited:

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Well, let's see here.

Gannondorf: I've played a good Gannon and had a bit of trouble. But mostly errors on my part. Tech the flame choke and try to avoid the read that said Gannon appears to get on you. Mix it up. Shield the Down B and he can be put into a bit of trouble if you retaliate right.

Bowser: I didn't play any Bowsers competitively, but I do know that you should try to bait him into attacking first, and using your agility avoid the attack and punish with a large combo. Also note that Bowser has terrible vertical recovery. Use it to your advantage, seeing as Yoshi has two Meteor Smashes (fair and dair)

Zelda: I frickin hate that character. I have no input her. I play a good Zelda and mostly just try to out space him with back airs and combo out of egg rolls that I land, but I usually end up getting Lightning Kicked... again.

Mario: He's got good combos. Do note that your grabs can mess him up if used right. Dthrow -> fair/dair/nair is a nice one if they don't react right.Try that.

One thing I noticed is that in many of your descriptions, you mention DJC attacks or RA's. Perhaps mix it up a bit? Maybe you're relying too heavily on those. Hope that helps! :)

didds

Smash Lord
More neutral b is a god send against bowser.
Learn to djc it and you'll be able to do approaching and retreating neutral b's. Point is, make him think twice about entering his shield and then you'll be able to mixup with the approach.

I also try to avoid side b as an approach, maybe it's just me, but side b just makes my game feel stale. I feel that it can become easily punished if they see it coming.

I honest feel that winning the ganon matchup is about avoiding the wizard's kick lol, that move always screws up my neutral game.

And one of my favorite strategies (against anyone really) is to short hop away a few times and see how they react. Either they don't attempt to chase and whatever, still neutral, or they attempt to follow, you stay out of range and then quickly reverse momentum with a djc bair and yippee, free combo starter.

A lot of my zoning game comes down to neutral b and my aforementioned bair shenanigans

Edit: Oh, and I hate mario too, fireballs mess with me hardcore and his down throw is nice

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Against Ganon, I would think a little patience would help you take care of him. You're way more mobile than he is, so dance around him and wait for him to commit to something, and punish it. Dash dancing outside his range, and pivot grabbing his attempts to Flame Choke you should work. In the air, you should be able to uair juggle him like anyone else, but if he's beating you with his powerful dairs just get out from under him, challenge him with forward airs and put him back on the ground.

Bowser is an easy one. Grab him. Yoshi has a good grab game, and Bowser is weak to grabs. He doesn't quite have the reach to effectively stuff your long tongue, so just grab him, get him in the air, and keep him there.

I've never played against a good Zelda. Of my friends, I'm the only one who plays around with her. :(

Mario is pretty hard for me too, I have a tough time dealing with his fireballs. It's generally a struggle to get in, but once I get in he's just like anyone else. I also have a tough time keeping him out, so he really controls the matchup, and it's frustrating. Yoghi gives as good as he gets, but it's difficult to keep up when Mario gets to dictate the pace. You just need to make sure you get the most out of every combo, and don't waste opportunities. Give him an inch, and it's difficult to get it back.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Vs :ganondorf:: I personally have a hard time with this MU as well. Majority of trades go for his favor and his priority trumps Yoshi.
Dair and DownB really are killers when I play Yoshi. I try and get grabs and rack up %s with Dthrow>Fair or Dthrow>Dair.

Vs :bowser2:: Bowser has more armor and is heavier then Yoshi. Period. Keep him off the stage at all times if you can since a good Bowser will read your habits and easily get a hard punish on you. They will use their armor to their advantage as well. As said above, use grabs. Grabs can really cripple him and keeping him in the air, even with his DownB possibility, allows you for easy %s. Using neutral B can really throw them off as well. Being a big body will help you with that.

Vs :zelda:: I hate this MU. I get salty just looking at this one just like my Marth MU when I play as Kirby. Her Neutral B gets invincibility and stops any move you can throw at her. Her SideB can lock down aerial space which very bad for Yoshi, he needs an approach. You can jab, neutral A, to break the Dins Fire. Also all of her aerials are basically Falcon knees so it trumps your DJ armor and she's floaty so you can't really grab combo much at all.
I'd mainly say to not play her spacy game, she can be really campy. Try and find an opening or try and really punish when you can. Even if its just a nice SHFFL Nair to something else or a Dthrow to something. Put the %s where its needed and try to get her to a blast zone, even though she has arguably the best recovery in the game.

Vs :mario2:: Sadly, I can't say much about this MU. I mainly just do what I do normally as Yoshi and do fine. I should ask my buddy that mains Mario and get more info for this.

I stopped maining Yoshi, but he's my pocket character.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Forreal? Are you doin the m2 thing?

And it seems that quite a few Yoshi's struggle with Mario.. I hate that guy
I play Kirby, Meta Knight, and Mewtwo more than Yoshi but I was bringing him out for friendlies and was doing pretty well. I still play him.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Also all of her aerials are basically Falcon knees so it trumps your DJ armor and she's floaty so you can't really grab combo much at all.
Gosh that is so true. Frickin Hate Zelda. Sad to see you've put Yoshi aside tho. Ah well. Whatever floats yer boat.

didds

Smash Lord
tbh I've been drifting towards squirtle, I'd say I go back and forth fifty fifty. I dabble with M2, but I just can't seem to get the same results with him that I get with these other two.

Plus M2 doesn't have that heavy purple skin which I'm oooohhhh soooo fond of.

Oh and I'm going to a tourney this saturday, so hopefully I manage to get on stream and post dat s**t. Wish me luck, I'm going mostly Yoshi for singles and Squirtle for doubles.

Lol.......

and fox for melee :awesome:

sue me

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
tbh I've been drifting towards squirtle, I'd say I go back and forth fifty fifty. I dabble with M2, but I just can't seem to get the same results with him that I get with these other two.

Plus M2 doesn't have that heavy purple skin which I'm oooohhhh soooo fond of.

Oh and I'm going to a tourney this saturday, so hopefully I manage to get on stream and post dat s**t. Wish me luck, I'm going mostly Yoshi for singles and Squirtle for doubles.

Lol.......

and fox for melee :awesome:

sue me

FOX IN MELEE. I OBJECT.

Lol all joking aside good luck in the tourney! Hopefully we'll see whatcha got! I'm going to one next Saturday, perhaps I'll show up on the stream.

didds

Smash Lord
nice, we could use some newer videos on the video thread, hasn't been touched in a bit.

I just don't touch melee like ever anymore, so it's easiest to just use fox. Yoshi is mad difficult in that game lol, and m2 is mad garbage, and squirtle is mad non-existent.

Last edited:

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'll try to get in on the Stream. I'm sure I've improved, so the technology should be better. :)

Scatz

Smash Champion
I've been doing some practice with him. If I had known saving replays was broken, I would've brought my laptop to record matches last Saturday. I'll try to get some matches recorded this weekend if I don't have to work.

SPIRE_FAN

Smash Cadet
So I actually don't think Ganondorf is as bad. But maaan Mario is still hard. Like, his fireballs can control a lot of the game.

Last edited:

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Sorry guys. I didn't make it on Stream. Maybe sometime else. :(
However, I did place 17th! :)

Mario is kinda awful. He has sooo many easy combos. Try to get the upper hand early and keep your momentum.

didds

Smash Lord
Fireballs say no to Yoshi, I've started using Squirtle against any annoying projectile characters.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I like Ivy against Mario. But my Yoshi could do it if I get started on some combo first.

Top Bottom