• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fault in the Stars- Gothitelle Support Thread

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Generations V was an experimental time for Pokemon, when they decided to start afresh with a whole new set of 150+ monsters to capture and battle. Filling in the powerful three stage psychic role was Reniculous in Pokemon White and in Pokemon Black was the Astral Body Pokemon, Gothitelle

Guybrush, are you making threads for every Pokemon now?
Well this one has a rumor attached. In July this supposed leak was posted to the message boards and brought to my attention through the Gardevoir thread

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422689663/
Hi! I was working at CEO this year and I managed to get a copy the demo build used for the tournaments. There were a few interesting things in the code for the character select:
>The Simon Belmont leaker had the Castlevania IP right, but not the character. "Rihita", Richter Belmont's Japanese name, was among those listed.
>"Sirnight", Gardevoir's Japanese name, was among them. Interestingly, Lucina, Dark Pit, and Daisy are all listed with their echo counterparts - "Gothiruselle" (Gothitelle) was underneath her. I presume, then, that Gothitelle is going to be an echo of Gardevoir.
>"Mario2" was listed as a seperate character. I have no idea what this means, but if I had to guess, either Paper Mario or Mario 64 Mario.
>"Kruru" (King K Rool) and "DakuS" (Dark Samus? It was underneath regular Samus) were both listed, unsurprisingly.
Obviously it's a demo build, so there may be more characters who haven't been added to the select screen code yet.

My attention was just brought to this one when I searched "Richter" in the 4chan archives. This supposed leak was submitted on July 1st, way before the direct or it's announcement. It predicted Richter, which is a substantial claim. Definitely keep an eye on this one.

As Farfetch’d :083: (laughs at own joke) as it seemed, we did indeed end up getting Richter Belmont in the game. There’s still every chance that it was a lucky guess but given its content, until we see something that contradicts it, we have to treat it as a possibility.

How can it echo Gardevoir?
Well Gothitelle is basically the Generation V equivalent of Gardevoir who at the time was also pure Psychic. Both share moves like Psychic, Future Sight, Energy Ball, Captivate and Telekenisis; both are roughly the same size (with Gothitelle being slightly shorter) and both have long dress like extensions to their bodies which would aid in matching up animations.

If Gardevoir is disconfirmed that means Gothitelle has no chance right?
Not exactly. While both fit the model of tall, special defence heavy psychics that seem to be based off different clothing styles (Ballgown and Gothic for those not keeping track) they have different learnable moves that can give Gothitelle its own playstyle separate from a hypothetical Gardevoir if need be. For example, while Gardevoir learns Fairy moves, Gothitelle instead supplements its psychic attacks with Dark type moves. This could also come in handy for giving it an unique Final Smash as Gothitelle has no Mega Evolution.

So this is all for a "leak"?
I'll admit the leak got it started but I like Gothitelle's design and abilities. Gen V was passed over for Smash representation (I sorta count Pkmn trainer as Gen III thanks to design used) and I think it's time it got a playable mon.

"Sakurai wouldn't put in a Pokemon that no one asked for to have a Gen V rep."
Well, there's one simple counter to that argument and it goes back to Super Smash Bros Brawl.
:ivysaur:
Ivysaur was included as a playable character with its own moveset and attributes for the sake of giving Pokemon Trainer's team representation of the middle stage of evolution and a grass type. If popularity was the sole factor, Bulbasaur would have been chosen instead but themeing won out. And I love playing Ivysaur so this could be another case of "giving us stuff we didn't know we wanted" that Sakuriai is famous for.

Supporters
Me ( Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 )
KMDP KMDP
Luminario Luminario
Anop Anop
StarCrystal20 StarCrystal20
DevaAshera DevaAshera
♕Pretty Roger♕ ♕Pretty Roger♕
HaunterSpencer HaunterSpencer
Sari Sari
osby osby
Dr. Jojo Phantasma Dr. Jojo Phantasma
slambros slambros
Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123
Teeb147 Teeb147
Banette Banette
EarlTamm EarlTamm
YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
Gothitelle Gothitelle
zferolie zferolie
Yusa Yusa
FirestormNeos FirestormNeos

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I like Gothitelle quite a bit (not nearly as much as Gardevoir, though), so I'll lend my support to her.

Luminario

Smash Lord
One of my favourite Gen 5 Pokemon. As soon as I saw it I knew it'll be on my team for Black.
On the subject of FS, I can see Gothitelle getting a version of Mewtwo's FS but re-designed to be Shattered Psyche.

Anop

Smash Apprentice
This sounds reaaaaaaaaally Farfetch’d, but.. The leak got a lot of things right.. Even tho he couldn´t find Simon on the database..

Anyhow, I love Gothitelle,(a pokemon that I usually use in VGC). I would have never guessed her or even Gardevoir in the roster, but who knows?

The only thing that I know, is that I´m gonna support her now :)

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
Add me to the support list!

The idea of Gothitelle in smash had not crossed my mind before, but now that I saw the leak I want her in Smash so bad!!

It’s such a random and obscure choice which I love. but it makes so much sense. Her inclusion along with gardevoir completes representation for gens 1 to 6.

Gothitelle is a bigger troll than Wii Fit

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A thought occurs...

If this is all true...

People are going to blame Gothitelle for Ashley not getting in.

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
Daisy and Gothitelle would be the Minor Beauties as I call them.

Relatively less mainstream than their counterparts yet still join the battle with their own unique style on the base moveset

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
As someone who is now desperately hoping for her favorite Pokémon, Gardevoir, I'll pledge my support for her supposed Echo Fighter.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
✨ Gothitelle is so elegant, it is a perfect pokemon for someone like me! I hope Gothitelle is in, i have always loved Gothita and Gothorita too. ✨

Last edited:

HaunterSpencer

Smash Cadet
NNID
HaunterSpencer
3DS FC
3583-3585-6107
I Support Gothitelle as an echo should Gardevoir be confirmed as playable

I have seen people complaining already about Gothitelle, but Im personally a fan of hers in the traditional pokemon (I use her to troll with Shadow Tag+Perish Song LOL) and I like the Gothic Aesthetic. If I will make an argument that she is kind of relevant, I would say that she is one of the Pokemon to be in a team that won the finals, in VGC2014 via Se Jun Park (which also featured Pachirisu) plus she is INCREDIBLY INFAMOUS in the Smogon community being a counter to Arceus that even prompted a ban of one of her abilities: Shadow Tag. She is also one of N's sisters in Pokemon BW story.

Moveset wise, since she lacks Mega. She would opt to use her Z-Move instead (Shattered Psyche). Moves like Moonblast can be replaced by a dark type move like Dark Pulse.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Gothitelle is probably my favorite psychic type as well as one of my favorite Gen V Pokemon. Not sure if she would actually be able to make it but I'll still support her.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, that's a lot of support in a day.

Though on the topic of Mega Evolutions, I hope that the next generation gives more Gen 5 & 6 (possibly Gen 7) Pokemon some Megas to work with. They get left in the dust by the very Pokemon they're meant to be counter parts to.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If Gothitelle has a slight chance of appearing in the game, I want to support her. She was one of my favourites in Gen V.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I have looked at various opinions of the CEO leak and some people are not too hot on Gothitelle. She might beat Corrin as most controversial newcomer if the leak is true. Eh I don't care though as long as Gardevoir is in, and I legitly like Gothitelle.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I have looked at various opinions of the CEO leak and some people are not too hot on Gothitelle. She might beat Corrin as most controversial newcomer if the leak is true. Eh I don't care though as long as Gardevoir is in, and I legitly like Gothitelle.
Well Generation V is the most controversial one to date (in fandom at least, Gen 1 had all the nutty religious group controversies.) so it's no suprise that Gothitelle would get some flack.

Still don't think it would be as big as Corrin as it would (in case of this leak at least) be an echo and wouldn't be "stealing" a slot.
Plus we don't have to worry as much about "over-representation" as Pokemon is the second biggest series in Smash.
(Mario has :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr:, Pokemon has :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja:(plus two if counting movesets over slots), Fire Emblem has :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin:ultcorrin:)

Though I can still see the salt if it's real. At which point we remind them that Sakurai needs his WTF choices.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well some are using the "deserving" logic thinking Zoroark, Victini or Genesect deserve it more. But those three are quite iffy to be echoes, and Zoroark is already confirmed to be a Pokeball Pokemon.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well Generation V is the most controversial one to date (in fandom at least, Gen 1 had all the nutty religious group controversies.) so it's no suprise that Gothitelle would get some flack.

Still don't think it would be as big as Corrin as it would (in case of this leak at least) be an echo and wouldn't be "stealing" a slot.
Plus we don't have to worry as much about "over-representation" as Pokemon is the second biggest series in Smash.
(Mario has :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr:, Pokemon has :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja:(plus two if counting movesets over slots), Fire Emblem has :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin:ultcorrin:)

Though I can still see the salt if it's real. At which point we remind them that Sakurai needs his WTF choices.
Isn't X&Y the more controversial game these days? At least outside of the anime? I've seen more praise for the gen 5 games these days, especially BW2.

slambros

Smash Ace
Well, I just caught word of the leak today! Looks like somebody beat me to the thread-making punch! :rotfl:

But I think I'd be happy about a Gardevoir Echo in the long run. Gardevoir is one of my favorite Pokemon to be honest, and I'm gonna take any Echo that I can get with open arms. Count me in as a supporter!

:131:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Isn't X&Y the more controversial game these days? At least outside of the anime? I've seen more praise for the gen 5 games these days, especially BW2.
Not sure I'd say X&Y are more controversial. The story of the games is certainly worse than Gen 5's but Gen V is still controversial for

1. Completely throwing out the old Pokemon in favor of a new dex of 150+, causing some repeats (Gothitelle is a Gen V equivalent of Gardevoir and to some people that's a bad thing)
2. Having a lot of inanimate object Pokemon like Garbadour and the infamous Ice Cream family (Magnetite, Voltorb and Geodude being chopped liver apparently).
3. The anime being at it's worst.
4. New anti-grind EXP mechanics

I think it's all overblown, (maybe I just had the patience for Audino hunting) and I had a lot of fun with Gen V and Pokemon trying a story that didn't end with you being crowned champion.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
This leak is promising so I support

But not holding my breath though just for safety reasons

But I will add gardevoir and gothiette to ,y prediction rosters due to the suposive leak

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Gothitelle is psychic, but she almost looks like a dark or ghost typing too. She can learn Shadow ball, so maybe they'd giver her that instead of moonblast and it'd be a similar attack. Just speculating beause there's not that much she's known for, as far as I know. Anyone know something she's known for?

Luminario

Smash Lord
Gothitelle is psychic, but she almost looks like a dark or ghost typing too. She can learn Shadow ball, so maybe they'd giver her that instead of moonblast and it'd be a similar attack. Just speculating beause there's not that much she's known for, as far as I know. Anyone know something she's known for?
In competitive, Shadow Tag.
In canon, reading the stars to tell the future.
Gothitelle and Gardevoir both fit as Pokemon who would use Future Sight too.

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
I would love to see Gothitelle’s role in the story mode . A villain perhaps? Maybe she and Dark Samus will fight against ZSS and Gardevoir.

How badass

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm seeing a triple battle of all of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon up against Greninja, Incenaroar and Gothitelle.

I updated the OP with additional arguments.

Banette

Smash Cadet
Gothitelle probably would have been my username if Banette was taken. I can't blame people for pointing out there are like 400 Pokémon that may be more deserving, but I won't complain if we get Gothitelle. Lurking.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I will support Gothitelle. While she was never my favorite Gen 5 Pokemon, it would be nice to get some representation for Gen 5. It was the Gen that I started with after all. And while I do think she will be controversial, it is not because Gen 5 was controversial when it came out. If anything, it has been majorly vindicated by history. The reason I think there will be controversy is because there is so many amazing Pokemon from Gen 5 to represent, and Gothitelle is not topping any list.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Especially as an echo of Gardevoir, I'd be totally fine with this, especially if the moveset is fun.

You have to remember that if they did include it, it's most likely to easily include another fighter (that also happens to be gen 5), there aren't other pokemon who could be that echo, so why not.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I asked the same thing in the Gardevoir thread, but what do you think the Gothitelle codecs(Both Snake and Pit) would be like? I find this to be a good discussion starter.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I asked the same thing in the Gardevoir thread, but what do you think the Gothitelle codecs(Both Snake and Pit) would be like? I find this to be a good discussion starter.
I want to post mine in the Gardevoir thread but I don't wanna double post.

So here's Gothitelle's Metal Gear Codec

Snake: That's got to be the strangest hair style I've ever seen.
Colonel: That's not hair, Snake. What you're looking at is Gothitelle, a psychic Pokemon.
Snake: Psychic? Can it read my memory card?
Colonel: Not exactly. Gothitelle uses it's powers to read the future through the movement of the stars.
Snake: So I'm fighting an Astrologer? Are you serious?
Colonel: This is hardly the strangest thing you've fought Snake. Don't let your guard down or you'll see what it's powers can do here and now.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I want to post mine in the Gardevoir thread but I don't wanna double post.

So here's Gothitelle's Metal Gear Codec

Snake: That's got to be the strangest hair style I've ever seen.
Colonel: That's not hair snake. What you're looking at is Gothitelle, a psychic Pokemon.
Snake: Psychic? Can it read my memory card?
Colonel: Not exactly. Gothitelle uses it's powers to read the future through the movement of the stars.
Snake: So I'm fighting an Astrologer? Are you serious?
Colonel: This is hardly the strangest thign you've fought Snake. Don't let your guard down or you'll see what it's powers can do here and now.
Yeah, that is how I imagine it going, but I do think it will take a bit of a sad turn near the end, since Gothitelle's Pokedex entries highlight it's sadness when it finds out how long it's trainer will live for. They may also highlight how Gothorita makes friends for itself by controlling sleeping children on starry nights.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Gothitelle was the reason I got Black.

Everyone loved Reuniclus, but I'm usually drawn to humanoid psychic types so it was an easy choice.

She's still a very peculiar choice and her inclusion would have to be as an echo of another far more popular Pokemon(Gardevoir) but I think I'd be pretty pleased if she makes the cut as she was one of my favourite Gen 5 Pokemon overall.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, not that Gothitelle would be that rep, there is no true Pokemon villain rep. The closest we have is Mewtwo, but mileage seems to vary on how much an evil Pokemon it is.

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
You know, not that Gothitelle would be that rep, there is no true Pokemon villain rep. The closest we have is Mewtwo, but mileage seems to vary on how much an evil Pokemon it is.
Good point. Perhaps if theres a story mode, it could be a villain !

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if they'll do a double direct with both Pokemon Let's Go and Smash info and use it to show off multiple Pokemon newcomers. That's the dream ATM.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say tomorrow's direct will be if we find out once and for all if that leak was right or a lucky guess.

Or maybe it's like fake Palutena leak and it's a double lucky guess.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I found this image today. Not related to anything Smash in and off itself but I think it looks good. (and it tangentially related to the debate)

Top Bottom