• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Falco SHINE GUIDE by NJ'zFinest

festizzio

Smash Champion
What about smash cancelling the shines? Up-smash is easiest, I've done forward smash a few times by accident though, so I know it's possible.

Odendaalrust

Smash Apprentice
If Falco and Fox are used so much, why haven't people concentrated on ways to counter them to the point where they become as "obsolete" as sheik?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Odendaalrust said:
If Falco and Fox are used so much, why haven't people concentrated on ways to counter them to the point where they become as "obsolete" as sheik?
are you kidding? the potential seen in fox and falco (especially falco) keep rising month by month. that's why people have been recently saying falco deserves a higher spot on the tier list. back in the day, most falcos SHL and that's about it while marth's f-air comboed like crazy. today, we still see the same from marth but falco players now do crazy shine combos and a great display of tech skill.
and, yea, falco and fox are used alot, but alot of those players suck and they reason why they're used alot is because people are begining to realize more and more about these characters. plus there's numerous ways to play them effectively.
since when was sheik obsolete?

Odendaalrust

Smash Apprentice
If you look on the Character specific section, you'll find a thread that says "IS Sheik Obsolete?"

And my question was how come no one has come up with ways to "out-shine" fox and falco? It seems as though people argue that sheik is too predictable now, and I'm wondering why that wouldn't go for fox and falco.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Odendaalrust said:
It seems as though people argue that sheik is too predictable now, and I'm wondering why that wouldn't go for fox and falco.
1. even if sheik is predictable, she still owns
2. there's different ways to play fox and falco. every known player plays with a different style of his/her own.

Odendaalrust

Smash Apprentice
Okay, anyway, I just realized that this was the falco shine guide, so let me ask an on topic question haha. Besides for the traditional shine-dair-ff-lcancel-repeat combo, what else does he have?

Davidyor

Smash Apprentice
hey guys,
i'm new to SmashBoards.com and so i just hope i found the right thread for my question.
untill today i had never heard anything about Wave-Dashing, L-Cancelling and all those subjects, i am not even sure, if i understood what a 'Dash' is.
but i kinda wonder, why people do Wave-Dashing, L-Cancelling etc., what's the advantage of using those two strategies?
and please, i know there are a lot of threads, but i still didn't get what L-Cancelling is, it seems to me, that it's just a way of faster falling down to the ground?
am i right, if i think it's just about jumping and pressing R/L?

i hope you guys can help me :)

Falcon-comboartist

Smash Cadet
Davidyor said:
hey guys,
i'm new to SmashBoards.com and so i just hope i found the right thread for my question.
untill today i had never heard anything about Wave-Dashing, L-Cancelling and all those subjects, i am not even sure, if i understood what a 'Dash' is.
but i kinda wonder, why people do Wave-Dashing, L-Cancelling etc., what's the advantage of using those two strategies?
and please, i know there are a lot of threads, but i still didn't get what L-Cancelling is, it seems to me, that it's just a way of faster falling down to the ground?
am i right, if i think it's just about jumping and pressing R/L?

i hope you guys can help me :)
Welcome dave, I too know what it's like to not see the sense in WD'ing and L-cancelling, first I'd like to suggest that you watch some videos with (Im assuming falco is your favorite character because u posted here) a guy named Bomsoldier in them. just go to video google or youtube.com and search "bombsoldier" his moves may look overwhelming and impossible at first but soon eough, youll discover that it just requires alot of training and perserverance. After you look at them, go to the "melee discussion board" from the site's home page. read all of the terms, and try your best to remember them. Then come back here and read bornfidelity's guide to falco, in fact, read all four of the links at the top of the falco page, they are very helpful. It will definitely help if you have good freinds to work with, and wahtever you do, dont get discouraged. Remember, no matter how many times you kill yourself, or how many times you screw up in a match, you are always getting better.
Have fun and hope to see some videos of you beating bombsoldier in the future :)

PS. feel free to private message me if you have any questions, i visit this site fairly often

Davidyor

Smash Apprentice
thanks a lot for your feedback, ComboArtist.
i am watching a lot of falco videos, but most times i find the same videos, BombSoldier vs Ken, some finals of a tourney... i need different videos :)
are there any sites with several SSBM videos, especially Falco videos, beside YouTube.com and SSBM.it?

Ryu777

Smash Ace
Davidyor said:
i am watching a lot of falco videos, but most times i find the same videos, BombSoldier vs Ken, some finals of a tourney... i need different videos :)
are there any sites with several SSBM videos, especially Falco videos, beside YouTube.com and SSBM.it?
yeah heres two, the links on the first one might not work anymore, but if they do, good, cause they have good vids on there

http://scripts.mit.edu/~jjl/smash/search.pl?action=search&player=&char=&stage=

http://www.ssbm.it/awesomevs

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Davidyor said:
Davidyor....what's the topic of this thread????

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
If yalls need ta chat,pm each yother,aight?
Anyway,in my opinion,Falco is WAY easier to shine with,yet Fox is only about 12 TIMES BETTER!!!!I have noticed,wavedashing never seems to be a vital part in Falco shines in a real competitive fight.
LOOK AT SIG,WATCH VID!!!

MetaBrawler

Smash Rookie
Nice guide! I can do a whole lotta variations of the Shine now.

By the way... If your on a team with another falco, can you shine the opponent onto a higher platform, then your team-mate Shines him, then you shine-spike or something and knock him flying?

Hunted0ne

Smash Rookie
Good job on the guide, it's very useful. I never tried wavedashing until today, and it only took me a minute or two to get it down, so I'm gonna practice waveshine now

Cort

Apple Head
This guide is beautiful, but I believe "Shine" originated from BtTers translating Japanese strategies and realizing they called it "Shine"... Then it just stuck.

But I'm not too sure >_>

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Falco is much easier to learn and is the better character

edit: whoever neg repped me for this post is an idiot.

Falco>Fox, get over it guys.
Don't argue with me since it's people like Mew2King, PC Chris, and Dope who convinced me that Falco is better.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Don't argue with me since it's people like Mew2King, PC Chris, and Dope who convinced me that Falco is better.
yeah but mew2king said the top 4 are all even and pc is the one who said he is picking up fox for vsing falcos as opposed to falco dittos

and forward also said all you need to do vs falco is get away from lasers and also said that falco is not that great

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
yes, Mew2king thinks the top 4 are even, but consider this. Falco is much easier to pick up than Fox, so if he's even with Fox, it would be better for someone to just use Falco. Also, let's not forget about how much Mew2king complains about Falco.

About PC, he doesn't like use Falco in general anymore (hense his use of Fox and Peach). Anyways, Fox isn't that bad to use against Falco. But this doesn't matter, where not talking about the matchup. I mean, Link and Donkey Kong do well against Marth....but they're low tier :p

Forward, heh, I know he's great but I don't listen to his opinion that often after he told me that Ganondof is "great" vs Falco.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
when it comes to shining fox is better cuz his hit box is bigger.
False. Eventhough Fox has the bigger hitbox...it's only slight, I mean, you still have to get close into the opponent regardless. Falco has a better time appoarching and setting up for a shine (his amazing Dair, lasers, blah blah). BUT, Fox's shine does> Falco's shine. I'm just saying it's not simply because of the hitbox. It's because Falco's shine combos are easier to avoid and at times can be less effective than Fox's. Also.... shinespiking :p

sierrahotel

Smash Rookie
I bet I'm really showing my noobiness now, but I just got into all this shffl, dash, shine stuff so I'm kind of confused. My question is... What does the shine do? Like, if you shffl, why shine afterwards? Does it just make you invincible after you've attacked, or does it do damage, or does it help you recover, or what? Or why jump right after a shine?

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
the shine for falco should almost always be used after advancing using a shl. that or a grab, smash, or w/e may be correct depedning on the situtation,.

the shine is qquick.. especailly if you short hop it..then u jump again adn follow up with yur dair drill.

DynamicDuo

Smash Lord
yea, its also a great mind game! like when someone is shhff into the laser and moving forward and the opponent is expecting them to do the dair. Instead i waveshine backwards then repeat with the laser and grab them cuz i would be at grab distance.

P.S. I had a great christmas and got a ds lite in black, Allllriiight (quagmire)

sierrahotel

Smash Rookie
Ok, the last 3 comments have involved how or when to use it, but WHAT is it? I'm out of town on a laptop, so I can't try it, but if I walk up to someone and press down+b with falco, does it do damage? What does the shine do other than reflect?

Smash Journeyman
Ok, the last 3 comments have involved how or when to use it, but WHAT is it? I'm out of town on a laptop, so I can't try it, but if I walk up to someone and press down+b with falco, does it do damage? What does the shine do other than reflect?

the shine is a advanced way to set your opponent up for a combo depending on who your using fox or falco. the reason its used after a shffled attack is to catch your opponent trying to shield grab or before they can launch off there attack being one of the faster moves in the game.

falco and foxes reflectors both do damage but have different effects to them falcos being used to combo your opponent and foxes used aggressively to spike. learning to correctly use fox or falcos shine can make you a force to be reckoned.

Top Bottom