• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Falco Critique thread!

Sunrun_Legend

Smash Rookie
I'd rather this be one where everyone posts their falco vids so we don't have to sift through a bunch of stuff to find them.

So here's a vid from me. It's only one match, i'll upload more in a little bit.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZE6xv_XGkQ

If you want someone to critique your video, post it here!

Last edited:

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
From what i saw there were a few times you didnt recover safe. you used up b too close to marths f-smash and then get punished for it, you phantasm right into the computer and it did work, however a real opponent would be able to suspect that and punish it. So one of the big things is to be safer when recovering or choose a better option at least at this level of play. Another thing i saw was there were a few weird stage techs specifically what i believe to be a backward roll when teching, its just so long and awkward and an real opponent who isnt stunned would be able to punish you on that. There were also a few weird retreats where you were close to marth but you ran away in that particuluar match up i believe that you need to hit him when your that close, and laser to approach so you can avoid the tipper range. one last thing i would say is work on your tech skill a little more like shdl off the edge, waveshines, shine->Waveland, edgehogging, etc. anyways man i wish you the best, your falcos looking nice.

Sunrun_Legend

Smash Rookie
From what i saw there were a few times you didnt recover safe. you used up b too close to marths f-smash and then get punished for it, you phantasm right into the computer and it did work, however a real opponent would be able to suspect that and punish it. So one of the big things is to be safer when recovering or choose a better option at least at this level of play. Another thing i saw was there were a few weird stage techs specifically what i believe to be a backward roll when teching, its just so long and awkward and an real opponent who isnt stunned would be able to punish you on that. There were also a few weird retreats where you were close to marth but you ran away in that particuluar match up i believe that you need to hit him when your that close, and laser to approach so you can avoid the tipper range. one last thing i would say is work on your tech skill a little more like shdl off the edge, waveshines, shine->Waveland, edgehogging, etc. anyways man i wish you the best, your falcos looking nice.
Ah. Thanks for the info. Although I will say that's not a computer. My friend said to put that as his name. Yea, my techskill is still sloppy I'll work on that. We recorded 5 hours of gameplay and it got corrupted for some reason D:

So we played again for like an hour and that's what we got. I have more matches that i'll put up later on tdoay.

Anyone else is free to put up videos in this thread! We need to improve but we can't if nobody can see it!

Last edited:

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
wow @ Rawfuls Rawfuls you played a lot better in the second game, your marth had great mobility and you picked a lot of good options throughout the match theres still a few things i could say though. When playing falco you really want to focus on gimping him and keeping him in tipper range and i think that you could have done a bit more of that. Also falco really shouldnt get grabs on marth, anytime falcos in his grab range, marths grab should win. But again with mobility i think that you might feel a bit awkward on the previous stage cause on DL you were moving great wavedashing, dash dancing and everything. Good work keep it up :D

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
Learn to runoff dj dair, itll save you from having to recover from below the stage against a marth and probably also net you some kills.
I dont really understand what you mean when you say run off dj dair, how is that gonna help

Sunrun_Legend

Smash Rookie
I think double jump dair would be used clsoe to the ledge to kill marth's options. He doesn't really have much going for him if you approach him from the air close to the ledge...I think.

Yea. I did really bad that match. There's a lot I need to work on.

Last edited:

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
I think double jump dair would be used clsoe to the ledge to kill marth's options. He doesn't really have much going for him if you approach him from the air close to the ledge...I think.

Yea. I did really bad that match. There's a lot I need to work on.
Honestly theres no reason to double jump in that situation your only asking to be punished, given you screw up. As long as marth is off the stage he doesnt have many options, but his main option or the one ALMOST EVERY SINGLE MARTH PLAYER GOES FOR IS GRABBING THE LEDGE THEY CANT REALLY DO MUCH ELSE CAUSE THEIR RECOVERY SUCKS, so wavedash back on to the ledge and either edgehog or if you think you got it drop off ledge and bair him. if he recovers over you climb back up, when he is in his landing lag frames nail him with and f-smash or if you dont have time grab and throw him off again. NO NEED FOR DOUBLE JUMPS IF HES ALREADY OFF STAGE

Stalled

Smash Apprentice
You run off stage then dj dair and drift back onto stage it covers .a large area right off the ledge with your dair hitbox and is reasonably safe if you aren't at kill percent. There were a few spots where you could have done it in the video your friend linked.

Also can falco lightshield edgehog marth? I feel like he probably can, but that's something I'll have to check. And as said, just grabbing ledge can go a long way against marth.

I also think you should use shine more, that ****s crazy useful.

Rawfuls

Smash Journeyman
@ Im Fragbait Im Fragbait lol thanks for the critique, i don't actually play this game anymore, so would generally chalk alot of it up to rust but my Marth has always been a bit wreckless with his spacing. In terms of the movement, the first match being pretty early on in the session will be my john for that =p. I only play friendlies with Sunrun every now and again these days... haven't been to a tourny or practiced properly to be competitive in years nor do i really have the time to. He wants to learn though so I'm happy to oblige, cause i love playing this game.

Point being, i wasn't really looking for a critique, but still in general though wanted to say thanks, and that your critique on both of us is pretty spot on.

Now, contributing to the thread even though my antiquated understanding of the meta is likely very wrong.

@ Falco can lightshield hog against marth -- yes he can
@ he should just edgehog, or if i go to the stage he should climb up fsmash -- very yes, though I will say that he's getting pretty good at the latter part, but is missing the patience on the former.
@ Run off dj dair, i tend to agree with Fragbait on this in that it's mad risky, and not really worth it. Unless you can drop down shine to dair because Marth was careless, I don't really see it being your best option especially if Marth saved his dj like he's supposed to.

Last edited:

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
@ Im Fragbait Im Fragbait lol thanks for the critique, i don't actually play this game anymore, so would generally chalk alot of it up to rust but my Marth has always been a bit wreckless with his spacing. In terms of the movement, the first match being pretty early on in the session will be my john for that =p. I only play friendlies with Sunrun every now and again these days... haven't been to a tourny or practiced properly to be competitive in years nor do i really have the time to. He wants to learn though so I'm happy to oblige, cause i love playing this game.

Point being, i wasn't really looking for a critique, but still in general though wanted to say thanks, and that your critique on both of us is pretty spot on.

Now, contributing to the thread even though my antiquated understanding of the meta is likely very wrong.

@ Falco can lightshield hog against marth -- yes he can
@ he should just edgehog, or if i go to the stage he should climb up fsmash -- very yes, though I will say that he's getting pretty good at the latter part, but is missing the patience on the former.
@ Run off dj dair, i tend to agree with Fragbait on this in that it's mad risky, and not really worth it. Unless you can drop down shine to dair because Marth was careless, I don't really see it being your best option especially if Marth saved his dj like he's supposed to.

Thanks for agreeing and respecting my critique im still new to this so obviously hearing that i was right is a huge help to my confidence when it comes to this game. Hope i helped you guys out even though you weren't really looking for it XD

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
The Falco player's not fast falling with the nair. If you hit someone's shield too early with a nair or don't fast fall, you'll probably get punished hard oos. Shield pressure can be hard.

Crossing up Marth's shield to initiate pressure is super strong because he can't grab behind him.

If you see someone charging a smash to edgeguard you, go where the smash can't hit you or stall until the charge frames run out.

It looks like you're getting a lot of damage out of smash attacks. Try going for launchers like dair, shine, or utilt into combos more than reads or reactions. If you're struggling with combos, it might be because you're chosing moves that are super hard to follow up on. At the end of that first match you hit Marth with a lot of dash attacks when a nair might have put Marth off the stage for an edgeguard situation or a shine might launch Marth to where you can bair him or whatever.

vs Marth, jab bair can be good if he's at stupid high %s.

Last edited:

Sunrun_Legend

Smash Rookie
I need an explanation on how falco is better than Marty. Shooting lasers isn't the only reason you can win cause its not helping me at all.

Kim Steinbach-Reif

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, would appreciate some critique on my play against my brothers Fox. These are a couple days old and not the best quality and may include some jumps and cuts, but nontheless I would want it analyzed to know what I can grind to improve my general gameplay. I know there are many many techs which I can train and improve upon, but I would like to know specifically what to improve and grind in the lab. Any comments is appreciate! Be brutally honest, I WANT TO IMPROVE! :)

PS: I use 20XX Hack Pack so you may see some different kind of color flashing in the video:

Red = Missed L-cancel
Green = Standing still (not making inputs)
Purple = Shieldstun

Last edited:

Sunrun_Legend

Smash Rookie
Well I looked at some of the first video (The other two are private so I can't see them). I'm picking out the big things that I noticed. I'm not gonna nit pick every single thing.

I see a lot of missed Shffls which is fine (It's not fine) since you're still learning. Practice shffling, it could have saved your life a couple of times. PRACTICE SHFFLS ER`DAY

I'm going to fast foward a bit to about 30 seconds in: It was pretty even and then you let fox just kinda trample you for a second. Don't be afraid to use your lazorz on fox and force him to make a decision. I'm not saying rapidfiregogogogo, but just a couple to mess up his approach options. You were shooting them at the beginning but then you just kinda stopped.

B-button deaths are about 97.5% of all space animal deaths (True fact) aka work on your waveshines which everyone needs to work on. Also know when you actually are in stun and not in stun even though you're flying.

At 53 seconds it was pretty freaky. I don't know if you knew he was going to recover like that or you just guessed really well cause you had that up-smash charged up way ahead of time. Try not to commit to an option fully unless you know it's going to work. I'm not saying you're wrong but had he decided to do something else it wouldn't have worked.

Oh something I noticed while you play is that after you wave shine, you just...stand there for like a split second. It means that you're trying to react to what he's doing instead of having a game plan against him. Plus your reactions are coming out a little late. That just takes time.

At 1:25~ you knocked fox off the edge....SWEET. Then you let him get back on with no reprocussion and he knocked you off the stage...NOT SWEET. Make sure that you try to punish whatever he does to get back onto the stage.

1:35 you knocked him off the stage again then you jumped after him and shined. Don't do that. Since falco's shine knocks them up (most of the time) you would not benefit from this (almost) ever. You probably should have shot lazers at him from mid stage and forced him to recover from the bottom and proceeded to punish.

I have more but I'm going to stop here. I'm not that great myself so take what I say with a grain of salt. Go watch more vids of other falcos good and bad. You'll see what you're doing wrong.

Last edited:

Kim Steinbach-Reif

Smash Cadet
Well I looked at some of the first video (The other two are private so I can't see them). I'm picking out the big things that I noticed. I'm not gonna nit pick every single thing.
I just noticed the other two weren't unlisted, so that's now fixed if you want to give critique on them too but not needed if you don't want to.

I see a lot of missed Shffls which is fine (It's not fine) since you're still learning. Practice shffling, it could have saved your life a couple of times. PRACTICE SHFFLS ER`DAY
Me looking back at this now I can clearly see that I have much more crispy SHFFL's than before and understand that it's incredibly important to practice.

I'm going to fast foward a bit to about 30 seconds in: It was pretty even and then you let fox just kinda trample you for a second. Don't be afraid to use your lazorz on fox and force him to make a decision. I'm not saying rapidfiregogogogo, but just a couple to mess up his approach options. You were shooting them at the beginning but then you just kinda stopped.
The thing is under pressure I often just let myself getting wrecked. It's hard for me to not get nervous in such a position and I often do stupid actions.

At 53 seconds it was pretty freaky. I don't know if you knew he was going to recover like that or you just guessed really well cause you had that up-smash charged up way ahead of time. Try not to commit to an option fully unless you know it's going to work. I'm not saying you're wrong but had he decided to do something else it wouldn't have worked.
That Up-Smash read was probably mostly luck, hard to tell from something that happened several days ago but apart of it was maybe a very hard guess I suppose.

Oh something I noticed while you play is that after you wave shine, you just...stand there for like a split second. It means that you're trying to react to what he's doing instead of having a game plan against him. Plus your reactions are coming out a little late. That just takes time.
The thing is after a Waveshine it's really difficult to react fast enough to where he flies and at the same time know how to follow up, I guess it comes with experience of how combos work and how different kind of movement and wavelands works to follow up different things, but definantly something I need to work on.

At 1:25~ you knocked fox off the edge....SWEET. Then you let him get back on with no reprocussion and he knocked you off the stage...NOT SWEET. Make sure that you try to punish whatever he does to get back onto the stage.
I am unsure whether I actually could punish him in time. I think that F-air (which was supposed to be a Shine-Bair) really made me lose lots of time, and that resulted in my trying to edgeguard but then realized I was to late and couldn't do much.

1:35 you knocked him off the stage again then you jumped after him and shined. Don't do that. Since falco's shine knocks them up (most of the time) you would not benefit from this (almost) ever. You probably should have shot lazers at him from mid stage and forced him to recover from the bottom and proceeded to punish.
Yeah that shine thingy, I don't know what I was thinking. But even though I did that it could be a clean edgeguard, I just was way to slow and did a Short Hop which resulted in me all in all not hitting fast or with the correct height needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom