• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

D

Deleted member

Huh, I completely forgot there was a Captain Rainbow translation project going on. Can't say I care too much about that game though, the artstyle is really off-putting to me.

Hey...are you alright? Is everything OK?
Hope you're doing alright, Tai. Your models are looking great. No need to worry about how they're turning out, if that's the issue. (It's probably more than that.)

Geez. I guess this is what I get for not checking the thread in a while. Now I'm really worried. ._.
Late thanks for asking and sorry for just up and vanishing that suddenly. Truth is, I was feeling pretty down, maybe downright depressed for a time and was stuck in a phase where I neither wanted to do anything nor see anyone. Sorry if I made you worry. I tried to do some modeling during that time (more forced than out of genuine fun), it didn't really work out. I mean, I did a bit, including cutting down on polys on Lip's model and remapped the UVs, but it's nothing worth talking about. I also edited Peach's skeleton from Brawl to fit Lip and is ready to get rigged (and would obviously need PSA changes to avoid crahsing).

But I've have been in a relatively good mood for various reasons that would go too far into off-topicness and I'm slowly getting my interest back. While I won't immediately start doing something big, like the entirety of Popples, I might do some smaller projects to get back into it. Not sure what though.

Maybe I'll try to design a PdP inspired kart for Mario Kart Wii or 8 and model it. Maybe some sort of flower-themed buggy, considering there are very likely no streets to be found in Popples, so it would make slightly more sense to go with a more off-road design. Maybe something based on the Bolt Buggy from MK7, Wildlife from MKDS or MK8's very own Tanooki Buggy and giving it a girly touch. Although to be perfectly honest... I'm drawing a blank.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Good to hear from you again, Tai! We've missed ya.

I agree, Captain Rainbow has a really...weird art style. Way too angular and exaggerated. If it weren't for the ears of doom and the wonky proportions, though, I feel like Lippy would still be pretty cute. It's hard to make that adorable design look straight-up ugly.

I drew up a concept design for a bike based off of Lip's Stick earlier, if that would help. I can't remember whether I've posted it or not, and even if I did it still would look like hot garbage. Vehicle design isn't really my forte, and drawing complex designs like that at weird angles is even less of it. But I could put it up (again?) if you think it would help give you ideas.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well, Captain Rainbow as a whole is tons of weird overall though. I kind of got used to it though since coming from likes of Chibi-Robo.

D

Deleted member

I drew up a concept design for a bike based off of Lip's Stick earlier, if that would help. I can't remember whether I've posted it or not, and even if I did it still would look like hot garbage. Vehicle design isn't really my forte, and drawing complex designs like that at weird angles is even less of it. But I could put it up (again?) if you think it would help give you ideas.
Actually, I don't think you've ever shown that design, at least I don't recall seeing it. I do remember you bringing it up, but then your PC started to act up or something? Also you shouldn't sell yourself short. I mean, even if it doesn't look good, does it really matter as long as you had fun drawing it? I personally think that's the most important part. And besides, no one can excel at everything.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Well, as it turns out, I didn't finish the drawing of what I call the Lip Trickster, i.e. it's still in sketch phase. I think I was planning on touching it up later on the computer, but as has been said, that's not in the cards right now. I may finish it up later, but here's what I've got for now. Hopefully you can juuuust about make out what's what.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/196223965859938304/377225814007349260/image.jpg

(The image kept breaking no matter what I tried, so I had to direct link it. Sorry!)

Left to right: Lip's racer insignia, the Lip Trickster, Lip in her biker outfit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, as it turns out, I didn't finish the drawing of what I call the Lip Trickster, i.e. it's still in sketch phase. I think I was planning on touching it up later on the computer, but as has been said, that's not in the cards right now. I may finish it up later, but here's what I've got for now. Hopefully you can juuuust about make out what's what.

Left to right: Lip's racer insignia, the Lip Trickster, Lip in her biker outfit.
Is this close to how you had it in mind? It's obviously just a rough draft without any sort of shading or other details, like stripes on the boots or gloves. It's more to see how the colors would work. I went with a more yellow tone to make her stand out from Daisy's more orange hue. And pink would be too similar to Peach. I also thought of green because of grass and flowers and such but it didn't really suit Lip that well. It was a bit too different from her usual colors.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Basically accurate, yeah! The legs should be white like the rest of the suit, though. The original idea was to have her in the same kind of biker outfit as the other princesses (if you remember the picture I posted in the main thread ages ago), but then I realized it probably wasn't a great idea to put an 11-year-old, or however old Lip is, in a skin-tight outfit like that, so I added the skirt to cover her bottom. I believe I was planning to make the belt blue, like the belt on Lip's actual outfit is sometimes--but a dark navy blue with a yellow buckle, not the light shade from the game/artwork. Other than that, it's pretty much exactly what I envisioned.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The other princesses don't do that. Plus it would look pretty strange for half of Lip's outfit to look, well, princess-y and the other half be shorts. Not entirely unfitting for her character, but I don't think it's what an official game would do.

D

Deleted member

I personally doubt they'd give Lip some sort of bike suit. It would be much easier for them to give her either bloomers, spats, bike shorts or just close the skirt at the bottom, like they did with Villager and Isabelle. Although I personally am never been a big fan of the latter method as it feels cheap and ugly when it's pretty noticeable due to the character moving around a lot.

Basically accurate, yeah! The legs should be white like the rest of the suit, though. The original idea was to have her in the same kind of biker outfit as the other princesses (if you remember the picture I posted in the main thread ages ago), but then I realized it probably wasn't a great idea to put an 11-year-old, or however old Lip is, in a skin-tight outfit like that, so I added the skirt to cover her bottom. I believe I was planning to make the belt blue, like the belt on Lip's actual outfit is sometimes--but a dark navy blue with a yellow buckle, not the light shade from the game/artwork. Other than that, it's pretty much exactly what I envisioned.
I wasn't really sure whether she had pants under the skirt or not, due to the picture being in black and white, heh. So i just went with the first thing that came into my mind when seeing that outfit, which was Jun from Gatchman.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I personally doubt they'd give Lip some sort of bike suit. It would be much easier for them to give her either bloomers, spats, bike shorts or just close the skirt at the bottom, like they did with Villager and Isabelle. Although I personally am never been a big fan of the latter method as it feels cheap and ugly when it's pretty noticeable due to the character moving around a lot.
The female Villager and Isabelle also are slightly touched-up ports of their character models from their home series, and the Villager wears pants under her dress anyway. Lip has never had a (good) 3D model, so the designers would have to make one from scratch--and I figured if they're gonna make a new model, they might as well go all out.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Just a cute picture of Lip that Kapus found somewhere in her internet travels.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i have a question about panel de pon
are Thanatos (Panel de pon) and Sanatos (Nintendo puzzel collection) different people or is it just a translation error and its the same person? i see they both have different designs but i am not sure about it

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry for the delay... again. I still haven't really found my footing again to properly work on it again. I did a bit though, this time it's Flare's island. From now on I'll try to get one island done each day, with the obvious exception of Lip's. Can't promise if I'll be able to do it though.

So precious! Who made this? I must know!
Ask and you shall receive.
Here's the artist's Pixiv page and here's the NicoNico one (much less pictures though). And for good measure, here are direct links to the picture on both sites:
Pixiv
NicoNico

Luminario

Smash Lord
In the event that Lip does get in, I'd like there to be at least one really cliché Sailor Moon/ Magical Girl reference. At least one of her win animations needs to have the spin-and-pose animation from countless Magical Girl attacks
If they're going to go with the Magical Girl motif, they need to go all out.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Guess what? Now that I have a computer again, I can do this:

I love Windy, she's probably my second favorite after Lip. Such a cutie-pie.

In the event that Lip does get in, I'd like there to be at least one really cliché Sailor Moon/ Magical Girl reference. At least one of her win animations needs to have the spin-and-pose animation from countless Magical Girl attacks
If they're going to go with the Magical Girl motif, they need to go all out.
Only absolutely!

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Here's a request, how about a pic of Lip meeting Samus and being starstruck by how cool she is?

D

Deleted member

And here's Thiana. Technically it's not finished, but I'll do the tree leaves (and by extensions, apples) last, during the texturing phase. I'll probably use multiple flat planes for that.
The good thing is, the more models i make, the more i can just reuse for the other islands. The tree is just an edited model of the volcano from Flare and the island can easily be used for Sherbet, due to their similar look. So i guess I'll do her tomorrow.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Looking good, Tai. It's amazing how much someone can improve in such a short amount of time.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Since in the west panel de pon like games have been released featuring Yoshi and Pokémon, would Lip in Smash have any nods to her history (or lack of) with these characters?

Should either of these connections be explored in potential future iterations of the series?

Luminario

Smash Lord
Since in the west panel de pon like games have been released featuring Yoshi and Pokémon, would Lip in Smash have any nods to her history (or lack of) with these characters?

Should either of these connections be explored in potential future iterations of the series?
There could be tons of ways to add in references to that. In her codecs, the trophies, her reveal trailer, event matches, and even in some hypothetical team match winning animations. There should at least be one event match where you have to ko Yoshi and Pika as Lip, hopefully on her stage too.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I feel like there should be. That Lip reveal trailer I wrote ages ago actually has multiple nods to the franchises that were stapled with varying degrees of success on top of Panel de Pon--Mario, Yoshi, Pikachu, and Bowser all show up before Lip does, and Yoshi even tries to grab Lip's Stick before she appears. Not mean-spirited ones, though, stuff I would imagine Nintendo doing. Of course, it's showing its age--if I had written it nowadays, it would have to have included Villager and/or Isabelle in some way.

I've had another idea for a Panepon stage lately, too, one that's not just "c&p graphics from the SNES game and call it a day" like my first idea. It's something more along the lines of Taigiry's original stage, even with background cameos of some of the other girls (sans Windy of course, because she's an Assist Trophy).

PsychoJosh

Now the question is, would you base her stage and gameplay on the lore of PDP or the gameplay of PDP? Because they are kind of separate from each other.

I imagine this is what makes coming up with a moveset for her tough. She is from a puzzle game but the puzzle game is just an instrument of telling her story.

It'd probably be best to implement both, but where would you draw the line?

If Lip and company ever got a platformer, I'd imagine it to be a puzzle platformer involving lots of panel/block pushing.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I would base it more on the lore. The other stages more heavily derived from their base games (like Mario Bros., 75 m, Wrecking Crew, and Duck Hunt) are based on games where the plot is either simplistic, in the case of the former two, or not there at all, in the case of the latter two. Panel de Pon is without question my favorite puzzle game ever, and I love it for its gameplay as well, but the lore is what I'm most interested in out of the entire series. The characters are adorable and ripe for development, and the setting is full of unexplored potential for fun stories and exciting adventures. I've got many a Panepon fan project on the back-burner.

If there was a Panel de Pon platformer, I'd want it to be something like the SNES game DoReMi Fantasy, something cute and relaxing with bright, colorful graphics. Bonus points if they could work in hand-drawn sprites and animated cutscenes--it'd be like playing a magical girl anime!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Small change to the grass of Thiana's island. Instead of fewer, bigger pieces of grass, I made made them more smaller ones, to make resemble the sprite more closely.

I've had another idea for a Panepon stage lately, too, one that's not just "c&p graphics from the SNES game and call it a day" like my first idea. It's something more along the lines of Taigiry's original stage, even with background cameos of some of the other girls (sans Windy of course, because she's an Assist Trophy).
Well, you got my curiosity, heh. Got some art or layout planned? If it's something small, I might give it a shot.

If there was a Panel de Pon platformer, I'd want it to be something like the SNES game DoReMi Fantasy, something cute and relaxing with bright, colorful graphics. Bonus points if they could work in hand-drawn sprites and animated cutscenes--it'd be like playing a magical girl anime!
Personally, I think I'd prefer a more pastel style drawn in crayon or pencil. Like the old artwork found on the official site. But then again, I#m a sucker for pastel.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Well, you got my curiosity, heh. Got some art or layout planned? If it's something small, I might give it a shot.
It's not that terribly complicated, but it involves rising water levels (in reference to the story mode of Panel de Pon--eternal rain, remember?), plus you'd have to make new models and animations for a good amount of the other fairies, again minus Windy, although I wouldn't be opposed if you managed to make a model of her anyway, heheh.

Personally, I think I'd prefer a more pastel style drawn in crayon or pencil. Like the old artwork found on the official site. But then again, I#m a sucker for pastel.

It's not mutually exclusive! DoReMi fantasy has a very pastel art style as it is.

I love that picture of Lip on the flower, by the way. So cuuuute.

PsychoJosh

Are you sure you're not thinking of Magical Pop'n instead of DoReMi Fantasy?

Seems that would be more appropriate since it's an action platformer starring a magical girl.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
For stage ideas, I'll just quote my post from ages ago.
I also had the idea of Popples being a stage, where it's a right-to-left scroller that goes through each fairy world with a rainbow bridge connecting each one, and each world has hazards included (Lip's is basic platforms with no hazards, Windy's has air currents, Sherbet's has slippery ice, Ruby's has pointy gems, Elias' has flowing water, Flare's has timed fire eruptions, Thiana's has enclosed spaces, Neris' has deep water, and Seren's has gravity changes, then it loops back to Lip's world).
For gameplay, she's just gotta be a survivor. PdP gameplay is all about out-playing your opponent and surviving, so simply giving her attacks the flowerhead effect along with good movement abilities and low kill power would probably replicate PdP in a fighting game pretty nicely.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah, I said in the first post that I feel it's best if Lip is not the most powerful character, but speedy enough that she can rack up a ton of damage through impressive combos--but at the same time light enough that the player would have to take special effort not to get hit.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Magical Pop'n instead of DoReMi Fantasy?

Seems that would be more appropriate since it's an action platformer starring a magical girl.
I feel like a mix of the two would fit, actually.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not that terribly complicated, but it involves rising water levels (in reference to the story mode of Panel de Pon--eternal rain, remember?), plus you'd have to make new models and animations for a good amount of the other fairies, again minus Windy, although I wouldn't be opposed if you managed to make a model of her anyway, heheh.
Well, that's still terribly vague. I mean, do you have concrete design planned? Or a layout maybe? Just rising water and place characters in the background doesn't say much, ya know?

Oh, and for the record, if I were to make a second PdP character, Windy and Ruby would be the most likely, hehe.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Actually, I do have a concrete design! It's right here:

Popplus (妖精の世界ポップルス Fairy World of Popplus)
Normal Form

This stage, taller than it is wide, is based on the fairy world as seen in Panel de Pon. Most of its cues are taken from Lip's stage, although the upper half is based on Windy's stage to some degree.

[The red vertical line is a rough indicator of Mario's size relevant to the stage.]

The stage begins in the Flower World in front of Lip's palace. At the start of the stage, only the bottom hard platform, the bottom-most two soft platforms, and the lower moving platform appear. The main platform is solid, whereas the two flower platforms to each side as well as the moving platform just above them are soft.

The first phase of the stage is somewhat similar to Spear Pillar. Roughly 10 seconds into the match, the stage will be tinted a certain hue, and one of several characters from Panel de Pon will appear in the center of the main platform (off the plane of battle) and cast a spell, affecting the stage in some way. This effect lasts for another 15 seconds more, at which point that fairy disappears and the effects on the stage vanish. 5 seconds pass before another fairy appears.

Sherbet - The little fairy of ice appears in a burst of snow. She freezes over the platforms, making them slippery and reducing traction. She tints the stage blue.

Thiana - The fairy of nature, she appears in a flurry of leaves. Her spell makes vines sprout from offscreen, serving as solid platforms and creating walk-offs. Vines also appear in the foreground for the duration of Thiana's appearance, obscuring parts of the screen; although they aren't thick enough to actively get in the way, they can still serve as a distraction. She gives the stage a green tint.

Ruby - The fairy of gems appears floating in the middle of a large magical gem, which shatters once she takes the stage. She creates two floating jewel platforms on either side of the main platform, which bob up and down slowly. Both platforms are semi-soft. She tints the stage purple.

Flare - By far the most dangerous of the fairies, the fairy of fire appears in a burst of flame. Flare's effect is similar to Ifrit's Hellfire on Midgar, although it can't affect the main platform--a huge burst of fire shoots either vertically from either side of the main platform, or horizontally just above the moving platform, dealing 8% fire damage with moderate knockback to whoever touches it. This flame blast is telegraphed beforehand by a small burst of (harmless) embers appearing from just offscreen. Each flame burst is active for around 1.5 seconds. Naturally, she tints the stage red.

Seren - She descends in a beam of light. With a twirl and an "Oh ho ho!", the fairy of the moon spins her staff and casts her spell, which reduces gravity for the rest of her stay (fighters jump higher and fall slower). She tints the stage yellow.

After two fairies appear, cast their spells, and vanish, a thunderclap is heard and rain begins to fall, slowly filling the stage with water and initiating a transition between "phases" of the stage. While this happens, the palace in the background closes its petals, resembling its appearance on the overworld map in Panel de Pon before completing the game. As the water level rises, the screen, and blast lines, will scroll upwards, forcing the players to keep up using the soft platforms that appear (or just ride it out in the water) until the stage enters its second phase.

Compared to the chaotic first phase, the second phase of the stage is fairly tame. The bottom blast line is covered up by water, with two semi-soft lily pad platforms floating on either side. A second, soft cloud platform drifts back and forth just above the water line, and above said platform are a pair of larger platforms, both also soft, one slightly higher than the other. The cloud platforms are connected by an (equally soft) rainbow bridge. Making cameo appearances in the background of this phase are Elias, Neris, and Pusuka the songbird, although they simply watch the battle and have no effect on the stage. Rain continues to fall throughout this phase as a cosmetic effect.

After about 25 seconds spent in the second phase, the rain clears (accompanied by the same harp fanfare as in Panel de Pon), and Elias and Neris dive back underwater. The water level begins to recede, transitioning back to the first phase as Lip's palace reopens. Once the camera stops moving, the platforms used to access the second phase disappear, and the stage loops back to the beginning.

Ω Form
The Ω Form of this stage consists only of the hard center platform of the first phase, extended to match the length of Final Destination. No fairies appear, and the rain never starts.

Just for fun, I did a write-up for an event match taking place on this stage too:

Fairy Tales (INT) / 救う!あたしの友達 !(I've Got to Save My Friends!) (JP)
A terrible demon king has invaded and brainwashed your friends! You've got to help them...but is there a greater power at work?
Stage: Popplus (Ω Form)
Music: [Remix] Lip's Theme
Characters: Lip (2 stock) [P1] vs. Lip (Windy alt., 1 stock), Lip (Sherbet alt., 1 stock), Lip (Thiana alt., 1 stock), Lip (Ruby alt., 1 stock), Lip (Elias alt., 1 stock), Lip (Flare alt., 1 stock), Lip (Seren alt., 1 stock), Giant Ganondorf (1 stock), Giant Palutena (1 stock)
Victory Conditions: Defeat all enemies within 5:00
Failure Conditions: Lose both stocks; run out of time

This event match serves as a reference to the story mode of Panel de Pon, with Lip playing both herself and the roles of all of her friends (minus Neris), Ganondorf filling in for the Demon King Thanatos and Palutena assuming the role of the goddess Cordelia. The player will only face one enemy at a time. The only item that spawns during this event is Lip's Stick.

Some of the Lips faced in this event use custom moves in reference to the character their alternate costume is based on; the Windy Lip uses Windy's Stick, the Thiana Lip uses Fairy Duster Watabou, and the Flare Lip uses Flare's Stick and Chubby Fluff. Ganondorf uses Warlock Blade, but no other custom moves. Palutena uses Heavenly Light, Angelic Missile, Warp, and Celestial Firework.

PsychoJosh

Lip and her friends are deliberating trying to design their stage. Lip sits with a pencil over a desk, sighing and drumming her pencil sitting next to a bin containing all her crumpled up ideas.

She asks Kasha for help. "Kasha, you have any ideas?"

"Yeah! You should have a big sticky toffee cake!"

"Huh? In our Smash stage? What does that have to do with our game?"

"Smash stage? Game? What are you talking about?"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here's a WIP of Sherbet's island, I didn't really find much time yesterday and today, so things slowed down a tiny bit.

Actually, I do have a concrete design! It's right here:

Popplus (妖精の世界ポップルス Fairy World of Popplus)
Normal Form

This stage, taller than it is wide, is based on the fairy world as seen in Panel de Pon. Most of its cues are taken from Lip's stage, although the upper half is based on Windy's stage to some degree.

[The red vertical line is a rough indicator of Mario's size relevant to the stage.]

The stage begins in the Flower World in front of Lip's palace. At the start of the stage, only the bottom hard platform, the bottom-most two soft platforms, and the lower moving platform appear. The main platform is solid, whereas the two flower platforms to each side as well as the moving platform just above them are soft.

The first phase of the stage is somewhat similar to Spear Pillar. Roughly 10 seconds into the match, the stage will be tinted a certain hue, and one of several characters from Panel de Pon will appear in the center of the main platform (off the plane of battle) and cast a spell, affecting the stage in some way. This effect lasts for another 15 seconds more, at which point that fairy disappears and the effects on the stage vanish. 5 seconds pass before another fairy appears.

Sherbet - The little fairy of ice appears in a burst of snow. She freezes over the platforms, making them slippery and reducing traction. She tints the stage blue.

Thiana - The fairy of nature, she appears in a flurry of leaves. Her spell makes vines sprout from offscreen, serving as solid platforms and creating walk-offs. Vines also appear in the foreground for the duration of Thiana's appearance, obscuring parts of the screen; although they aren't thick enough to actively get in the way, they can still serve as a distraction. She gives the stage a green tint.

Ruby - The fairy of gems appears floating in the middle of a large magical gem, which shatters once she takes the stage. She creates two floating jewel platforms on either side of the main platform, which bob up and down slowly. Both platforms are semi-soft. She tints the stage purple.

Flare - By far the most dangerous of the fairies, the fairy of fire appears in a burst of flame. Flare's effect is similar to Ifrit's Hellfire on Midgar, although it can't affect the main platform--a huge burst of fire shoots either vertically from either side of the main platform, or horizontally just above the moving platform, dealing 8% fire damage with moderate knockback to whoever touches it. This flame blast is telegraphed beforehand by a small burst of (harmless) embers appearing from just offscreen. Each flame burst is active for around 1.5 seconds. Naturally, she tints the stage red.

Seren - She descends in a beam of light. With a twirl and an "Oh ho ho!", the fairy of the moon spins her staff and casts her spell, which reduces gravity for the rest of her stay (fighters jump higher and fall slower). She tints the stage yellow.

After two fairies appear, cast their spells, and vanish, a thunderclap is heard and rain begins to fall, slowly filling the stage with water and initiating a transition between "phases" of the stage. While this happens, the palace in the background closes its petals, resembling its appearance on the overworld map in Panel de Pon before completing the game. As the water level rises, the screen, and blast lines, will scroll upwards, forcing the players to keep up using the soft platforms that appear (or just ride it out in the water) until the stage enters its second phase.

Compared to the chaotic first phase, the second phase of the stage is fairly tame. The bottom blast line is covered up by water, with two semi-soft lily pad platforms floating on either side. A second, soft cloud platform drifts back and forth just above the water line, and above said platform are a pair of larger platforms, both also soft, one slightly higher than the other. The cloud platforms are connected by an (equally soft) rainbow bridge. Making cameo appearances in the background of this phase are Elias, Neris, and Pusuka the songbird, although they simply watch the battle and have no effect on the stage. Rain continues to fall throughout this phase as a cosmetic effect.

After about 25 seconds spent in the second phase, the rain clears (accompanied by the same harp fanfare as in Panel de Pon), and Elias and Neris dive back underwater. The water level begins to recede, transitioning back to the first phase as Lip's palace reopens. Once the camera stops moving, the platforms used to access the second phase disappear, and the stage loops back to the beginning.

Ω Form
The Ω Form of this stage consists only of the hard center platform of the first phase, extended to match the length of Final Destination. No fairies appear, and the rain never starts.
That's actually a pretty neat design. I mean, I don't know how much of that is actually possible with the current hacking methods as I'm actually pretty unfamiliar with that, but a somewhat simplified version should work in theory. I also like the idea of having a more vertically stage that isn't an autoscroller like Infinite Glacier or Rumble Falls as a change of pace.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't know if I'm the only one, but sometimes, when I work on Panepon art, I get a sense of melancholy. It reminds me of how much I miss the girls, and how sad I am that the only conceivable way they'll get focus again (what with IS's current Fire Emblem fetish) is if they end up in Smash Bros. That's not an impossible scenario as the SNES slides further and further into the past and the list of viable retro characters grows smaller, but when you're from a small series and up against major contenders like Inkling and K. Rool, it's nowhere near guaranteed.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I don't know if I'm the only one, but sometimes, when I work on Panepon art, I get a sense of melancholy. It reminds me of how much I miss the girls, and how sad I am that the only conceivable way they'll get focus again (what with IS's current Fire Emblem fetish) is if they end up in Smash Bros. That's not an impossible scenario as the SNES slides further and further into the past and the list of viable retro characters grows smaller, but when you're from a small series and up against major contenders like Inkling and K. Rool, it's nowhere near guaranteed.
Well if they're still going down the road of having a retro character each iteration of Smash, then Lip has good chances within the next 2 games, as her only big competition is Takamaru. The only other retro character that I can think of that could feasibly be a threat is Balloon Fighter, but they're likely to stay locked to Villagers Up B and lack the easy moveset potential Lip has (let's be honest, after the flower effect she doesn't need that much more in terms of a viable unique moveset, so she's pretty much set with just that). We don't really have to worry about non-retro characters such as Inklings or K. Rool due to them being added in for other non-retro reasons.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
lip
Yeah, N N. Onymous . I personally wouldn't worry too much if I were you. There aren't too many retros Smash has left to truly work with. If anything, Takamaru is currently Lip's biggest competition. As Sakurai's already said:

Characters like Ayumi Tachibana and Donbe & Hikari probably won't happen due to lack of a Western presence.
There's been no word on Bubbles.
The Urban Champ would feel redundant in comparison to Little Mac unless they gave him more to work with. I've made a support thread for him, BTW.
No word on the Mach Rider and the Excitebiker may be permanently locked behind the AT.

PsychoJosh

Ah, the mysterious Mach Rider. Even the Nintendo characters probably don't know much about him...!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Haven't had much time this week, so things slowed down a tiny bit, but here's a finished Sherbet and also Ruby.

Top Bottom