• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

D

Deleted member

Yes you do. Why would you want to put wings on Lip, though? That's not her character design.
It's just my personal preference. I personally think Lip is a Hylian human in disguise without wings. Just want to make things logical. Yes, some fairies don't need wings, like Lip's current design, but generally, they do. I even saw some artworks depicting Lip having wings that are not mine.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
This franchise feels like one of the biggest remaining SNES reps on hand, sure, why not?

While I don't hate SEGA' Tetris, I doubt SEGA would like to pull a Tetris rep as they're more fine with Sonic. Beside, it'd be better to nominate 1st party in this case.

This is infuriatingly true. At least Terry proves that lack of relevancy should never be a reason to exclude a character.
Uh... is he irrelevant tho?

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
How would people feel about Panel de Pon being a puzzle/platformer. Kinda like Henry Hatsworth? I only ask because Lip might have potential with her Lip Stick to have some type action elements.

At the very least, I wouldn't mind a small platforming mode separate from the puzzle modes. The platform mode could be called Panel Pop while the puzzle mode could be Puzzle League.

Just an idea.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
How would people feel about Panel de Pon being a puzzle/platformer. Kinda like Henry Hatsworth? I only ask because Lip might have potential with her Lip Stick to have some type action elements.

At the very least, I wouldn't mind a small platforming mode separate from the puzzle modes. The platform mode could be called Panel Pop while the puzzle mode could be Puzzle League.

Just an idea.
Personally I think this is a great idea. It's something I was frustrated didn't happen during the DS/3DS era. You had every other franchise getting turned into a 2D platformer for less reason.

Uh... is he irrelevant tho?
Outside of specific markets, yes. Lots of people, where I live at least, doesn't even know what SNK is, much less Fatal Fury.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Personally I think this is a great idea. It's something I was frustrated didn't happen during the DS/3DS era. You had every other franchise getting turned into a 2D platformer for less reason.

Outside of specific markets, yes. Lots of people, where I live at least, doesn't even know what SNK is, much less Fatal Fury.
I've come to the conclusion that we have much more control over Puzzle League's fate than we may believe. Lip's fan base is relatively small but that also means we are easy to manage.

I think if we not only made more noise about a new game but also made more noise about the direction of the series, we could make something happen. Unlike Paper Mario or Sonic where there's too many please everyone. We could use our small numbers to our benefit.

I want to know how many people would be okay with the Panel Pop/Puzzle League idea because I wouldn't mind sharing the idea around for a small amount of buzz.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
That's amazing, can't believe this kinda thing never surfaced before!
2020 really feels like a fever dream at this point. Also nice to see that he's interested in dumping the game instead of hording it.
Its actually possible that Nintendo does indeed have these roms, maybe they can be released on the N64 online service:

D

Deleted member

Its actually possible that Nintendo does indeed have these roms, maybe they can be released on the N64 online service:
I'm well aware of that possibility. Case in point Starfox 2 on the SNES mini or the various big Pokemon leaks. It's not uncommon for companies to hold onto their prototypes, wouldn't be surprising if they had the famous Spaceworld Mario 64 proto still, too.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Well the thought I’ve had for ages has been all but confirmed.

Furil’s PDP is Panel de Pon 64. Pokémon Puzzle League is a resurrected PDP 64. Theories that made sense but could never actually be confirmed are now basically true.

Does that mean Yoshi’s Cookie in Puzzle Collection could also be a lost Nintendo 64 game? It’s the odd one out of the bunch, the file size for the whole game is small when formatted and cleaned up, and it looks like a game you could run on the N64 as well.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Well the thought I’ve had for ages has been all but confirmed.

Furil’s PDP is Panel de Pon 64. Pokémon Puzzle League is a resurrected PDP 64. Theories that made sense but could never actually be confirmed are now basically true.

Does that mean Yoshi’s Cookie in Puzzle Collection could also be a lost Nintendo 64 game? It’s the odd one out of the bunch, the file size for the whole game is small when formatted and cleaned up, and it looks like a game you could run on the N64 as well.
No, Yoshi's Cookie was not built off any N64 rom its a new game developed just for the GC.

Actually, they always intended the N64 game to be about the events that happen once Lip became queen. So its no surpirse that Lip isn't the protagonist for the 64 game.
Interview.PNG
You'd better get working on a story about what happens after Lip becomes queen
The guy mentioned at the end is likely the writer of the games involving the fairies.

But now it leaves the question about how Kain connects both Panel de Pon GB and Panel de Pon 64.
He also didn't seem to age between those 2 games. I know he's a Lion at first but I'm pretty sure the incident of him becoming one was as recent as when the events of the 64 game starts.

EDIT:

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Regarding Kain, I feel it's likely that once the N64 game was canceled, IS attempted to revive some concepts that would have been used there with the SNES cast in the Game Boy Color port. But then Pokemon Puzzle League happened, so Pokemon Puzzle Challenge had to happen, and they figured it would just be easier to make one version of the game for both regions.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Regarding Kain, I feel it's likely that once the N64 game was canceled, IS attempted to revive some concepts that would have been used there with the SNES cast in the Game Boy Color port. But then Pokemon Puzzle League happened, so Pokemon Puzzle Challenge had to happen, and they figured it would just be easier to make one version of the game for both regions.
Some of the new renders in Panel de Pon GB looks like Makiko Tsujino's design style.
Especially when you consider the fact that she's the character designer and the one who seems to make the character design and proportions fairly inconsistent. Tsujino left Intelligent Systems and she seemed to have started working for Future Creates in 1998 judging by the first image she uploaded there.
One of the artwork she made posted on that site makes me think she's possibly also the character designer for Kain. Her other designs also resemble Neris or Flare there too.
s004.png
Page on Future Creates website

You'd better get working on a story about what happens after Lip becomes queen

The sequel was always planned to be in the 64 game, and they basically said that Lip wasn't going to be the protagonist of said game. Since Lip is queen, there's no point of her being the protagonist anymore.
Also the Panel de Pon GB title screen has a copyright 2000 title screen and this interview was conducted as the 2-year anniversary after the SFC version came out.
It makes no sense for them to have that planned release if they knew what the sequel's cast and characters is going to be about in 1997.
Panel de Pon GB was likely a way to introduce new fans to the Classic cast since the SFC game didn't sell well.
Like Panel de Pon 64, GB was also planning a 2000 release date.
Intelligent Systems definitely considers this game to be a port with some additional story bits.
Basically you can compare this to FE3 where Book One actually retells the events of FE1.
Panel de Pon GB retells the SFC story but after Cordelia's defeat, that's where that portion of that story ends.

Panel_De_Pon_(GB)_Title_Screen_Mockup.png
Since Zilba appears, that thing was likely there because they want to add some more events than Lip being queen by simply beating Cordelia. Something also notable in the Zilba battle for Lip, her wand changes into the appearance that is used for Furil's wand. The wand is the biggest form of evidence regarding the continuity. Since Furil is said to be the daughter in the strategy guide, Lip likely gave her the wand since that wand was used for training.
EY0C4tuXgAAPFbN.png
EY0C7SwWsAEZDWh.png
EY0ERfZXgAg9niI.png
My GB Video looking at stuff like this will probably come out by the end of this month or early August.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie, the recent PdP64 finding is kinda motivating me to get back in the series. Maybe I'll do something small to celebrate, I dunno yet.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Holy cow! Someone actually found a copy of PdP64?! Are there any differences from the GCN version? I feel like you would be able to tell quicker than I would.

By the way, I don't know if it helps, but I came across a ResetERA thread on the subject that goes into a great deal of info about this.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/panel-de-pon-nintendo-64-prototype-found-unreleased.251298/

Makes me think PdP64 was quite close to getting brought over here (in its original form) before Nintendo put the brakes on the project. Apparently, someone says it's easy to tell where the line is drawn between Pokemon Puzzle League's material (and it's all choppy and poorly-rendered) and PdP64's material (and how it looks and feels FAR more polished).

D

Deleted member

Reminds me of the time I made some PdP texture mods for Smash 64 roughly 10 years ago. Makes me feel pretty nostalgic. I've pretty much stopped with any kind of Smash modding by now though.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Not sure what the last one is from though, not from any Panel de Pon games.
View attachment 279852
The last one looks like one of the blocks in the border for Kirby's Block Ball. I can't say for certain if that's the source, but the colors are right.

It's not much, but here's a little preview, you could say. Don't get too excited though, it's just gonna be a small side project, nothing fancy.
Oh? What's this for, I wonder...

D

Deleted member

By the way, I dug out my old models and actually did some more work, finishing Neris and Seren. Clouds will come later, as they are more textures than actual models.

I also edited my old Lip model again, simplifying the face and editing various other things, which resulted in a loss of nearly 2k polys. I will probably make a version with the more detailed face later, as I still have those files, but for now I'm concentrating more on the lower polygon one. I also changed her proportions a bit, making her less lanky. Left is old, middle it new. Also ignore the face textures, they're placeholders.

D

Deleted member

By the way, I dug out my old models and actually did some more work, finishing Neris and Seren. Clouds will come later, as they are more textures than actual models.

I also edited my old Lip model again, simplifying the face and editing various other things, which resulted in a loss of nearly 2k polys. I will probably make a version with the more detailed face later, as I still have those files, but for now I'm concentrating more on the lower polygon one. I also changed her proportions a bit, making her less lanky. Left is old, middle it new. Also ignore the face textures, they're placeholders.
Is this an edit from the Mii Costume model?

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman

This is a really nice model. The model for the bow + hair still impresses me.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Long time, no see.
This is definitely good for a lot of characters with Min Min deconfirming the spirits rule and Panel de Pon coming to the NSO. I've been playing the game recently prior to the announcement so this is even better and will give that flawed service some use. Even better due to the alternative being in licensing and legal hell with the name. NoA's boneheaded marketing finally bites them in the ass.

Soon, my dear. Soon.

D

Deleted member

Long time, no see.
This is definitely good for a lot of characters with Min Min deconfirming the spirits rule and Panel de Pon coming to the NSO. I've been playing the game recently prior to the announcement so this is even better and will give that flawed service some use. Even better due to the alternative being in licensing and legal hell with the name. NoA's boneheaded marketing finally bites them in the ass.

Soon, my dear. Soon.
I can just feel it! The world deserves to have Lip playable in Smash, regardless of what she costs!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It’s been more than a day so

I do hope that PDP being available worldwide would lead to even more interest. Maybe, just maybe, they could decide to bring the IP back for a new installment

D

Deleted member

Well, there are some awkward news. Fighter 77 are Steve and Alex from Minecraft, but that doesn't bother me! Keep going for us Lip fans! I know we can do it! Also press F to pay respects for No More Heroes' Travis Touchdown because he is a DLC Mii Swordfighter.....

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Top Bottom