• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The End of Current Gen

finalark

SNORLAX
It looks like the end of the current generation is finally upon us. With the Wii U out and the PlayStation 4 following soon we'll be seeing stores clear their inventory of Wii and PS3 games in the coming years to replace them with Wii U and PS4 titles. I wouldn't be surprised is Microsoft is planning on retiring the 360 for a shiny new Xbox soon. I'm going to take some time now to go over a few trends I liked and disliked about the current gen.

Disliked: Fixation on community - We live in the age of the internet, where people are constantly in communication with each other 24/7 though services like Facebook and Twitter. And this generation video games decided to get in on that with things like Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. Honestly, I've always been a fairly introverted person and this constant social communication isn't really my cup of tea. While I'm willing to deal with it by not participating as much as others do, I really don't like it in my games. For me, games, with a few exceptions, have never really been a social thing for me. And to see multiplayer being shoved down my throat in franchises I previously enjoyed as single player experiences *coughdiablocough* grinds my gears a bit.

Liked: Reboots - I know some people who really hate these, but personally I love them. While others might say that they're trying to squeeze life out of dead franchises I'd say that it lets a new generation experience games they never would have heard of. It also gives dying franchises one more shot at life and for me personally got me interested in franchises I never would have bothered with, such as X-Com or Mortal Kombat.

Disliked: Consoles moving away from games - I think this really started last gen with Sony including a DVD player in the PS2, but at this point it's getting ridiculous. You see MS and Sony spending many of their E3 conferences talking about new features to be added to their consoles that have nothing to do with games. And even Sony's advertisements for a while made the PS3 out to be this all-in-one super media center for your living you. I almost feel like Sony and Microsoft have forgotten that the people buying their consoles buy them to play games on, not to keep up with ESPN or to Tweet on.

Liked: Indie games getting some of the spotlight: Here's a good thing to come from services like Xbox Live or Steam, many indie games that would probably have gone mostly ignored any other generation actually getting some attention or a least a chance to do well. Games like Super Meat Boy or Legend of Grimrock come to mind for me. It's nice to see that humble studios can get the chance to really get their games out there and that the niche market for many of these titles can easily access them.

Those are just a few thing off the top of my head. How about you guys? What did you like or dislike about this gen?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Making a game based on multiplayer tends to be cheaper to make and usually is played longer given how playing against humans is everchanging and never consistent while playing against AI coded opponents gets old after 1-2 complete runs. Given how bosses tend to just be fun the first few times, after a while its just a repeated set of sequences that require no change in your actions besides reacting according to the boss's action.

Yea, this fixation on community is not a fault of game developers but on how profitable it is making multiplayer games. I mean its progressed to the point of esports.

finalark

SNORLAX
Making a game based on multiplayer tends to be cheaper to make and usually is played longer given how playing against humans is everchanging and never consistent while playing against AI coded opponents gets old after 1-2 complete runs. Given how bosses tend to just be fun the first few times, after a while its just a repeated set of sequences that require no change in your actions besides reacting according to the boss's action.

Yea, this fixation on community is not a fault of game developers but on how profitable it is making multiplayer games. I mean its progressed to the point of esports.
I understand that it make sense from a business perspective, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
In ten years the kids that grew up with the 7th gen will be going on about how the current games suck and how kids don't know what fun is since they never played COD and how simple it was when there were only 649 Pokemon.

finalark

SNORLAX
In ten years the kids that grew up with the 7th gen will be going on about how the current games suck and how kids don't know what fun is since they never played COD and how simple it was when there were only 649 Pokemon.
This. Entirely this. I'm curious to know what games the kids who grew up in this gen will declare their classics.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
This. Entirely this. I'm curious to know what games the kids who grew up in this gen will declare their classics.
Dark/Demon Souls, Uncharted 2, Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade, and some others is my guess. I can see some of the underrated ones being said too like Nier and Valkyria Chronicles.

Edit: This is for the group of kids I have faith in. Not the majority of people lol

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
I'l be shocked if there isn't people going on about Skyrim and a few of the Wii games and of coarse COD.

finalark

SNORLAX
Dark/Demon Souls, Uncharted 2, Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade, and some others is my guess. I can see some of the underrated ones being said too like Nier and Valkyria Chronicles.

Edit: This is for the group of kids I have faith in. Not the majority of people lol
Honestly, I'm sure they'll make good choices for some games while being nostalgia-blinded for others. Just like everyone else.

I'l be shocked if there isn't people going on about Skyrim and a few of the Wii games and of coarse COD.
Some people consider Elder Scrolls III a classic despite it aging like cheese in the sun, I wouldn't be surprised if ES5 gets the same treatment.

I think only the 4th COD will be considered a classic, much like how original SFII is considered a classic in some circles.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Here's what I think could happen. Nintendo's decision to focus heavily on the casual market will come back to slightly haunt them since a lot of the people who bought Wii's wont feel the need to get a new console. Though the console will still be successful especially during the early portion of the gen as it will be the better choice for people who don't want to spend a crap load of money on a console. Once the price for the PS4 and 720 goes down they will catch up to the Wii U possibly surpassing it, whether Sony and Microsoft or Nintendo win will possibly decide whether Microsoft and Sony will decide to stop making their consoles power houses that cost the better half of $1000 at launch or whether Nintendo will decide to put a bit more power in their hardware like in the old days to keep up with Sony and Microsoft.

Top Bottom