• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Downtilt (and why it's more useful than you think)

Psyflame

Smash Cadet
Among Olimar players, there are some moves that get a lot of attention. Up smash. Down throw. Up tilt. F smash.

What about the moves that we neglect? Today I bring you (in the 5 minutes before I leave for class) some thoughts about one such move - the down tilt.

Why is this move useful?

(credit: Pyr0) It goes underneath Wolf's laser and Pit's arrows, meaning that you can worm your way over to them and negate their projectile spam.

It is also one of Olimar's best-ranged non-Pikmin moves, so if they have something like Pit's side-B you can actually hit them out of it with the down tilt.

It hits them up and behind you - the perfect place for a SH uptilt, dash-canceled Usmash, or any of Olimar's diverse aerial and ground-to-air options.

I'm sure there are more that I haven't covered. What does everyone think?

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
The tilts are overlooked, it's definitely a fact. The up tilt in particular seems to be really underrated as a good setup move when the upsmash would send the character too high. This is particularly true for characters with larger models. Utilt+Usmash+Uair is a pretty easy trick to pull off on a larger character, hell, it's even easy to get off on ROB because he's so wide.

Didn't do that much experimentation with the down tilt though, I'll be sure to try.

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
agreed. i love worming my way around. it gives more knock back than it looks like it should as well. olimar has some great tilts that have yet to show its potential

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
i like the downtilt
if i remember correctly, it has two hitboxes, where one is at olimars antenna....

very good setup for Uair or something like that ;)

Noobmode

Smash Rookie
I was curious if this could be applied when hanging on the edge and how to pull it off. I have noticed that olimar's head is just big enough to be hit with lasters and other ranged weapons. If we could figure that out with some of these moves i think that it could fix one of the hug disadvantages i have seen with olimar on the edge of maps.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Lol

In all seriousness it works, but don't expect to go all across Final Destination this way, its real use is that it pi$$es off the spammers, witch lets you shield their _____ Move into a Down-smash.

As for actual battle use, every tilt makes Olimar move from its place, so be sure to keep them in mind.

A nice little combo at 40%-ish I like is Down Tilt (that also goes below a lot of A attacks) to U-air to double jumped B-air, its a nice little rack up damage string of attacks.

Oh and... you can Down Tilt across the stage as a taunt too! its really annoying thanks to the funny sound xD

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Ohh haha I went to see what this move was exactly, and just realized it was the exact move my friend was using with his Oli to approach me the other day. It was sort of a wtf moment for me when I saw Olimar start crawling towards me like that.

By the way his utilt is a secret, spammable taunt >.>.

XxSoilxX

Smash Rookie
excellent, i'll have to try this as soon as i get home! would it be effective to air dodge into this? i think so! fun fun fun!

Hashire Kazemeijin

Smash Cadet
/agree on the fact that Olimar's tilts are useful in many situations. I tend to try to kill my friends with FTilt just to show them I don't NEED Pikmin to fight, as it can kill around 100% if it hits right. Worming under spammers is indeed fun and effective. I've even wormed under Jigglypuff's Final Smash to avoid getting blown away, or to fly less distance. [Also did this with Snake's crawl]. I like using UTilt to stop most attacks cold, but the only issue I have is as a Tap Jumper, I have a hell of a time pulling off UTilt on command.

But bottom line, Olimar's tilts are pwoerful in their own right and none should be overlooked.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Wow, Olimar's down-tilt has higher priority than Pit's side+B? Awesome, I've got to try that out. Thanks!

/agree on the fact that Olimar's tilts are useful in many situations. I tend to try to kill my friends with FTilt just to show them I don't NEED Pikmin to fight, as it can kill around 100% if it hits right. Worming under spammers is indeed fun and effective. I've even wormed under Jigglypuff's Final Smash to avoid getting blown away, or to fly less distance. [Also did this with Snake's crawl]. I like using UTilt to stop most attacks cold, but the only issue I have is as a Tap Jumper, I have a hell of a time pulling off UTilt on command.

But bottom line, Olimar's tilts are pwoerful in their own right and none should be overlooked.
A good way to avoid accidentally jumping while performing Olimar's Up-Tilt is to go into your controller settings, and turn off the setting that makes you jump when you tap up on the stick. When you turn this off, you will not jump when you tap up. You'll stay in place. It makes Up-Tilting a lot easier to do.

Psyflame

Smash Cadet
A good way to avoid accidentally jumping while performing Olimar's Up-Tilt is to go into your controller settings, and turn off the setting that makes you jump when you tap up on the stick. When you turn this off, you will not jump when you tap up. You'll stay in place. It makes Up-Tilting a lot easier to do.
I've said it once, and I'll say it again: turning off tap jump for the uptilt constitutes an unwillingness to learn finer control of the left stick. I mean, hey, if it works it works... Just saying that it may be beneficial to hone your precise control by working through the tap jump limitation.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Well, it's just a personal preference, but I like to be 100% in control over all of my moves. I can maneuver perfectly fine without the tap jump enabled. In fact, it's easier for me because without the tap jump, I have total control over when I want to jump by simply pressing a button. Thus, it is easier for me to perform tilt attacks with the left stick. In some ways, disabling the tap jump lets me achieve an even greater control over the left stick.

Disabling the tap jump does not limit me in any way, as far as I am concerned. :)

keeper

Smash Champion
Don't forget the antennae does damage too. I like using the antennae on the standard A and dtilt as it isn't really expected as well as it stuns them. Olimar's dtilt is a great move and I agree with the first post of this topic.

Kaoz

Smash Cadet
Well.. Ive had issues concerning removing the tap jump on the controler, I just wanted to know, how does removing your tap jump affect your precise control over the left stick?

Psyflame

Smash Cadet
Oh, we're talking about personal preference in regard to tap jump. However, turning it on makes using your up tilt a bit harder due to the possibility of jumping while moving the stick up, that's all.

Edit: Post edited to reflect my mistake. Thanks Gaz ;)

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Oh, we're talking about personal preference in regard to tap jump. However, turning it off makes using your up tilt a bit harder due to the possibility of jumping while moving the stick up, that's all.
I think Psyflame meant "turning it ON". :) Some people find it easier and more useful to jump by tapping up on the left stick. I, personally, find it more responsive to hit a button to jump instead of using the left stick for jumping. It's easier for me to perform short-hopped attacks, too. And, most importantly, turning off the Tap Jump allows me to do an Up-Tilt attack on the spot, anytime I want, with no worries of messing up and jumping into the air.

Again, like Psyflame said, it's all a personal preference.

By the way, I didn't know Olimar's antenna damaged opponents! AND it stuns? Whoa!

Starzonedge

Smash Ace
If you turn of Tap Jump, you will not be able to Up-Smash out of shield or use Up-B either. This limits Bowser, Samus, Fox, Marth, and several others I can't think of right now. But if you're only maining Olimar, I don't think it will limit you so much.

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
D-Tilt also attacks someone on the edge.

I play a Toon Link a lot, and the U-Tilt has a good use. When TL uses the D-Air, A U-Smash causes the Pikmin to take the hit, causing TL to bounce up slightly. If you U-Tilt right after your U-Smash, he gets hit instead of you.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
What an amazing discovery! Well, for me anyways... I find it incredible I'm barely learning about this move. And now, I'm using it all the time. How quaint.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
D-Tilt also attacks someone on the edge.

I play a Toon Link a lot, and the U-Tilt has a good use. When TL uses the D-Air, A U-Smash causes the Pikmin to take the hit, causing TL to bounce up slightly. If you U-Tilt right after your U-Smash, he gets hit instead of you.
SERIOUSLY? Awesome! Thank you for the tip. :)

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
Blues and Purples can do it, but I'm not sure if the other colors pull it off. I might do some testing with my brothers.

Top Bottom