• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Donkey Kong Finder Thread (categorised and Updated)

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
The Donkey Kong Finder Thread

Since the old one isn't updated in a Long while (3-24-2006)
and jesusfreak doesn't responced to my PM i'm making a new finder thread.
everybody from the old thread is added

This thread is not only meant to add/find Dk players, but also for important news.
For those who have a questions, did a discovery or just want to say something, but don't want to start a new thread about it. You can just post you're comment in this Thread.

News
1233 has made a new DK Combo vid "Le Chango".

The Thread
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=82312

# is added to the name when someone is an active poster or very important for the Donkey Kong Community.

Canada

Blunted Object10 -Richmond BC, Canada

USA:

Cort - Newington, CT
#BUM -Bronx, New York City, NY
gIO AkA El M0n0 - NY
Bovineblitzkrieg - Binghamton NY
Phish-it - Mahopac, NY
Bass - Neptune, NJ
NJ's Finest - Belle Mead, NJ
Foxandfalco - Belle Mead, NJ
Pain - Plainsboro, NJ
Steve Hodge - Stewartsville, NJ
# AOB - Champaign, IL
Drew B008 - Barrington, IL
Gojira -Roy, Utah
JesusFreak - Austin, TX
Shut Yo Mouf - Galveston, TX
# Thomas Tipman - Broward County, FL
DooDah - Lakeworth, FL
Ray$ - Delray Beach, FL
Darkrain - Kansas City, MO
The Cape - Carlisle/Shippensburg, PA
# Buttcrust...ewww - Pickerington, OH
Tayo Akomolede Mason -Ohio
ZMan - Alburquerque, NM
# Brahma - South Bend, Indiana
Chopstix - East Brookfield, Massachusetts
Myztek Southaven, MS
Casture - Rigby, Idaho
Majora731 - WA
Nitemare - Memphis, TN
Chinesah - Westminster MD
# MEXICAN - Stockton CA
MAG - Goldsboro, NC
T.E.D -Florence, KY

Australia:

# King Kong - Toowong, Brisbane, Queensland
D.J Cat -Tas, Brisbane

Europe:

Paul van Bavel - Oosterhout, The Netherlands
# Diddy Kong - Almere, The Netherlands
# Actionlen - Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Adriaan Mol -Raamsdonksveer, The Netherlands
Jonno29 - Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England
IVP -Stockholm, Sweden
Chemnitz - Saxony, Germany

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
What's with all the Nethys? Is DK some kind of minor god there or something? The number of smashers there compared to here has got to be miniscule.

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking, that I could add some news about donkey kong in this thread to.
Is this a good idea?

Jonno29

Smash Rookie
Wow, i'm the only English DK, oh, the interesting mirror matches i will have...

Why does no-one English play DK, come on, you guys let me down, (not that you'd know, because, well, you won't be here to read this...)

DK rocks, i'm gonna find some English support for the ape!

I may be a while......

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
Well tournament places of the donkey kong players or new tactics that someone has discovered. All Donkey Kong players can get there credits of discovering a new tactic, so people can add reputation points or jsut to support people with new ideas.
Plans on making videos, combo videos, guide videos (I really think there should be a huide how to cargo chain against DI players, Anyone?)

Ps: How do you change the Thread name, I'm thinking to name it.
The Main Donkey Kong Thread
or something like that, if you got better ideas for a name please post it.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
I wish that when you hit block, DK wouldn't take that as a suggestion. I usually want to block when I hit tht button... not take the hit.

King Kong

Smash Lord
I wish that when you hit block, DK wouldn't take that as a suggestion. I usually want to block when I hit tht button... not take the hit.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This is true..... I hate DK's sheild.

Hey Buttcrust, you got to play Joe Bushmans Gannon didnt you? How did you go? And what kind of style do you fight gannon with? My style dosnt go very well vs gannon and i was wondering if you could give me some pointers.

peace out

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
Yes it's true,
Now I need to Lightshieldgrab well that isn't easy,
Oh well I take it for grand.

Ps: are you guys fine with The Main Donkey Kong Thread thing?
I need support from the more important people, like Kingkong, buttcrust, AOB, diddy kong, mexican.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Hey Buttcrust, you got to play Joe Bushmans Gannon didnt you? How did you go? And what kind of style do you fight gannon with? My style dosnt go very well vs gannon and i was wondering if you could give me some pointers.

peace out
Yeah, but that was about a year ago. I beat his Ganon, but then he went Fox (or maybe Sheik, but I think it was Fox) and destroyed me.

I tend to play Ganon a bit differently now than I did then. But that's because this was before I knew any cargo uthrow combos. Now I think Ganon is almost a guaranteed win for me.

Anyway, I usually play pretty offensively against Ganon. You know he's going to use a lot of SHFFL'D f-airs, so use that to your advantage. I tend to play this backwards and SHFFL b-air into u-b or just continue into a Hurricane.

If I have my punch charged I will filp around and play about half/half, front and back. When I'm facing forward I SHFFL n-airs into u-b (If done well the u-b comes out so quickly, I've beat out Ganon's jab many times doing this.) then when I see I can get it, I'll SH the punch. I usually try to wait until he's attacking. Ganon's f-air is so slow, all three of these moves beat it out so I try to intercept him in the air. (All of these are done with horizontal movement if you couldn't guess.) Just be sure to watch for Ganon jumping backwards and f-airing you. That gets me all the time. If they start doing that, try to space your b-air so that it just misses on purpose. They'll go for this, then you can just follow with another b-air.

The f-tilt also has it's uses in this battle. If the Ganon tries to use his tilts this is a good counter for it, and if you angle it up you can hit him out of the air with it, interputing his f-air.

Anyway, Ganon is very easy to cargo combo. Once he gets to around 50%, unless you're in mid combo, just cargo uthrow into a f-air or super punch. I usually forget to do this, but during the cargo you can always set Ganon up to f-air him over the nearest edge. If he DIs back toward the stage just jump backwards with him. Ganon's poor recovery makes him easy to edge-guard so after this you should be able to get a kill almost every time.

Don't ever use the f-air unless you combo into it. Ganon will punish you for it. The keys to this are basically the cargo combos, of course, and being able to time his jumps so that you can intercept him mid-attack. U-b rocks Ganon's face off though. I use it more in this battle than probably any other. All his SHFFL'D f-airs put him in perfect position for sweetspotting it.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Something I like to use against Ganon is once you grab him, Cargo him then take him to the edge and throw him off with Cargo-D or Cargo-F. This puts Ganon in a tough spot. His 2nd jump usually won't be enough to get him back so he'll usually have to use his Up-B and come up along the side of the stage which is easily B-air'd, or spiked with F-air or D-air. If you get a B-air during his 2nd jump to edgehog on him he's usually done for at this point. I use Cargo-F at low % since it throws farther, then Cargo-D after 50% or so since it has a lower trajectory.

Ganon may try to U-air you with his 2nd jump so watch out for that, but if he attacks with his 2nd jump, he'll definitely be using his Up-B to grab the edge.

The downside to this is you give up combo opportunities, but if you're confident in your edgeguarding you can score some low % kills pretty easy. I like to use this especially on smaller stages like Yoshi's story since you can Cargo then get to the edge fast. If your opponent is used to you starting U-air combos at low %, this is nice to mix up your grab game with this occasionally for a sneaky low % kill.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Oh, I forgot about that. I've got away from using that, I don't know why. It's a good tactic. I just wish I was good enough to turn around and b-air like you said. I can't do that very well at all. I just try to u-b and hit them right as they DJ, then edge-hog.

There should be a name for this... I'm going to call it "The Brahma" for now because you reminded me of it.

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
You're part of the DK family
By the way, does anyone knows how to film without getting black stripes?

Gojira I added you to, I found you on the other Finder Thread,
But please if you want to be added Use this Thread.

Bass.

Smash Journeyman
I'm new to the boards but not new to DK. I've been using him since smash 64. I nearly got kicked out of school because of smash 64 too. Then came ragnarok...but anyway, yeah I'm in love with DK in melee and I'm pretty good. Maybe you'll see me in some tournaments soon. I wanted to hit up KOTC tomorrow but my bro and friend don't want to go anymore. :(

Bass - Neptune, NJ (USA)

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Yeah, definately add BUM too because he's the ****z and has said if others want to play him he lives in the BX, NYC. (That's the Bronx, New York City, New York for you crazy foreigners. :) ) He is the best DK around afterall...

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
I added Both Bass and BUM,
and categorised The Finder Thread.
Feel free to post new tactics in this Thread.
And I hope to read some interesting post from the two of you

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
*sigh* i have been told that i am the best DK in California, but looking at this thread, it might be cuz I'm the only DK in California. There has to be more people than just me.

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
haha, I'm the best One in Nijmegen Probably, maybe the best in the Netherlands. If got to fight that one out with Diddy Kong I guess.

MEXICAN do you have any vids of yourself, cause you sound like a very good Dk player.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I am a good DK player but have to be able to get any vids online. I don't have the equipment to do so. I'll get some up as soon as possible though, but i don't know how long that will be. =/

Have any of you guys beaten a person so bad, that they thought that DK should be high tier and decided that they wanted to main with DK from that point on? haha, Its funny cuz they don't know how difficult it actually is to main with someone like DK.

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
I've Three Stock my Friends JigglyPuff which was his Main back then (last month lol)
And He was like Wow DK is so cool. But he didn't want to choose him because I played with DK. But we did a couple of DK ditto's of course I won big time.
So then He changed his main to GaW, and now he's thinking of playing Captain Falcon.

But I made him change his main from Jigglypuff to Gaw then.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Man, i have conquered my fear of Jiggs. I played 3 Jigglypuffs at the last tourney i went to. They were King, Foxroar, and Sheridan, all known in Cali for having good puffs. I played Foxroar in tourney, first match i got 2 stocked. Second match was close but i barely lost (keep in mind, this is my first time playing a Jiggs). Then i played Sheridan. He barely beat me first round, i barely beat him second round, and then i 2 stocked him 3rd round. (i was just learning to play against puff so i think i did rather well). Then i played King in some friendlies, first match he whooped me, second he barely won, third i won. Oh, and btw, the d throw chaingrab against jigglypuff worked on all 3 of them, so i would advise that you try it next time you play a jiggs. you have to jc the grab though in order for it to work. On a side note, i also 2 stocked a really good peach player, Hella from DBR, but remember though, Hella and King were only in friendlies though, not tourney. So don't take this as me saying "i can beat Hella and King", in order to have the right to say that, i would have to beat them in tourney.

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
Nice work, getting those puffs.
Really Jiggs are not hard to fight against just don't end up getting in a rest combo.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I wanna play King when he's not sandbagging though, cuz i know he does durning friendlies. I don't really consider it a real win cuz he wasn't really playing. I'm probably gonna challenge him to a mm next time just to make him play seriously.

_Q_

Smash Rookie
I've Three Stock my Friends JigglyPuff which was his Main back then (last month lol)
And He was like Wow DK is so cool. But he didn't want to choose him because I played with DK. But we did a couple of DK ditto's of course I won big time.
So then He changed his main to GaW, and now he's thinking of playing Captain Falcon.

But I made him change his main from Jigglypuff to Gaw then.
Well, i'm GaW now, but still think DK rocks so i'm prolly gonna make him my 2nd.

Shadow_I)ragoon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SyNeaX
Wow no Dk in Canda except Blunted object10??

Anyway add me, Nex ,Montreal, Canada .

DK own too much but isn't this thread suppose to be updated?? Been like from when I posted this asn't been uptated. Hello can somone update plz.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
Toecutter
Plover, Wisconsin

Donkey Kong is my low tier character.

Top Bottom