• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Darkness Comes... Eternal Darkness in Brawl thread.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
sorry but i didn't like Resident Evil 4,.. i finished teh castle and havent played since then.. and is the only re game that i have played so far.. i'm not big fan of the re concept, but i consider re an excelent action game... it's just that i don't feel any "horror"... to consider it an horror game..

as for horro games, i think that my favorite is Silent Hill 2, followed thightly by Eternal Darkness and Silent hill 3.. also liked a lot Demento (haunting grounds) from capcom..

my point is that i dont consider ED a bad hooror game, in fact i like it a lot more than RE$ (that is the one i have played) althought i have to admit that RE4 gameplay it's outstanding... :p

mm...

flamewars? that means that this thread is going to be locked? which means that pious and alexandra thread it's like ridley thread, which means that they have the same posibilities of being in the game than ridley! ... NICE!!! (Obviously, just joking)

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
If we're talking about the first RE, then I heartily disagree.

I liked the game on the GC, but the tank controls and terrible voice acting made for a less than stellar game.

ED may have been easier, gameplay wise, but that's largely due to the fact that the player has free motion and isn't restricted to moving around like a tank in still environments.

RE4 did a great deal to help the franchise by giving you free control over your aim and was likewise a great game, but for pure atmosphere, ED still beats and RE game with its stellar Lovecraftian storyline and superb voice acting.

Plus, ED did a much better job messing with the player's mind. The only times in RE4 that I was really freaked out was before I learned the controls and whenever I fought a regenerator. Regenerators were the scariest things in that entire game.

But with ED, I have never mashed buttons harder than when a Bone Thief was trying to burrow into my character's face...

Both ED and RE4 were great games for different reasons, but years later, my friends and I can still discuss ED and wonder what some of the imagery meant, like who the mysterious ghost who visited Elia was and was there a way to free Mantorok from his prison that we never found, what was the mysterious tomb in the underworld city that we could examine but not interact with, etc.

I'll never forget the moment when my friends and I watched as Paul Luther was splattered flat by the Chut'turga guardian: every jaw in the room dropped.

El_Duderino

Smash Apprentice
In RE and other such horror franchises, only your character's life is at stake. In ED, your body, mind and very soul are on the line as well. Even if you win, your character can be caged in a dank asylum or confined as a restless ghost for eternity. That's the big difference, and what makes ED endure so well in the minds of those who played it. Its uniqueness makes it resonate.

In the moveset earlier I chose the Xel'lotath alignment because she represents the draining of sanity, which is also the major hook of the game itself. I felt the green Ancient would best represent the series in that way. But these alignment-switching moves seem to have potential as well.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Even thought I'd love to have some Eternal Darkness representation in Brawl, I'd be surprised if there was. The logo would be the Mantorok rune of course. I wish Pious was playable. Oh, well.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's my views on the subject. Maybe instead of random it'd be whichever alignment the attack she used last had?
That might be one way to do it, aye. Although I really can't see Mantorok being an option to be summoned, given his body isn't exactly mobile...

LightLink17 said:
Haha, here's an in-joke for you. You remember the Ram Dao that Karim got? Well I was watching my friend play once (and I convinced him this time to pick green so he could try playing like how I play), and he got the Ram Dao. And he goes "Awesome, I got the Woah Dam" And so I just bust out laughing because it'd be funny if it really was called the Woah ****, considering how it kills everything in one hit. Anyway, further in the game he started picking up torches and using them against the Xellotath zombies. And then we started calling that the Woah ****. It was funny.
*chuckles* Interesting. Sounds like one of those things thats a lot funnier if you were there, though.

LightLink17 said:
Anyway, I say green is hardest because you can make it so. I'll just never heal sanity or do finishing blows. It means their gaze takes off lots of health, and their phantom limbs also hurt you. And the lack of finishing blows means they come back once.
That would be an interesting way to play, to be sure. I don't think it really qualifies as the hardest though, since its you deliberately choosing not to use some of your options thats making it hard, rather than the mode itself being more difficult than the others. (For instance, you could do something similar with Chattur'gha and never using hp healing. Would be less interesting than being continually insane, but it would sure be tough, possibly harder than Xel'lotath without sanity healing.)

LightLink17 said:
I once saw a Mantorok zombie beat an Ulyaoth zombie. It was hilarious.
Oh, that I can well imagine :laugh: .

LightLink17 said:
Speaking of Karim, he'd make a good AT in his ghosty form.
That he would indeed. I rather like the stance and swing he used when he did and overhead blow with the Ram Dao myself, so I could imagine him showing up and taking a swipe or two like that at your foes. Oh well, too bad it probably won't happen.

Zevox

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Alex playable and then some of the other characters being ATs would be neat.

I still don't expect it, but it'd be neat.

Pulse

Smash Apprentice
the source of that would be GREATLY apreciated
Famitsu, a Japanese gaming magazine. It's pretty reliabile, mostly because Sakurai writes for it. They have been wrong before, though, and the issue might have been a fake. Here's hopeing its not, though.

Pulse

Smash Apprentice
the source of that would be GREATLY apreciated
Famitsu, a Japanese gaming magazine. It's pretty reliable, mostly because Sakurai writes for it. They have been wrong before, though, and the issue might have been fake:urg:. Let's hope it's not, though.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
A lot of people are saying that horror doesn't belong in SSB, but I have to disagree. First of all, there's nothing horrific about Alex Roivas (she looks a little emaciated, but that's about it).

Second, the key element of the game WASN'T horror, it was the sanity effects, which are actually held in a patent by Nintendo, FYI.

Since they went hog-wild with the Wario Ware level and made it so you're actually fighting amidst a game of Wario Ware, imagine an ED level where sanity effects happen: players suddenly jump to 500% damage, items appear and when you go to pick them up, they're not there, the entire stage splits open and all the characters fall off the screen and die, but then the screen flashes white and everything is back to normal.

The sheer potential for an interesting level alone would be worth including ED, if not by a playable, at least by a level (like Animal Crossing is shaping up to be).

Just imagine all of the cool things that could happen with it, and it wouldn't exactly be out of place, either: we have ATs like the devil and Nintendogs which just mess with the players. It's not terribly far-fetched to imagine a level doing the same.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of the level messing around with people's mind. The level though I think should be in a way that it should do many different things at random times so as to always make the player on their toes and not at specific intervals, so the player whose gone through it 100 times will still always have to be on their toes.

I think it's acceptable to only have Alex be a PC, not Pious because perhaps only the main Nintendo games can have one (Mario, Star Fox, Metriod like Ridley but I'm not gonna talk about it, Donkey Kong, Zelda games)

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I didn't even think about level implication. They'd have to do really subtle things though, like mess with damage randomly, not set. I don't know about you guys, but I don't constantly stare at my damage counter, I just glance every now and then. If it was randomly at 23, and it was really at even 70 or so, I'd be like "Oh yeah, I'm doing awesome" and might get more reckless.

Fake items appearing when items are switched on is also a cool idea.

Top Bottom