• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Darkness Comes... Eternal Darkness in Brawl thread.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

This thread is for everyone familiar with this image

i'm a bit surprised that noone have actualy submitted the idea ( I revised like 5 pages of topic and the ofocial "link to support characters" and there was nothing) but Eternal Darkness is a great nintendo franchise, but not so famous as others (as we can see that wasn't ever mentioned here or in Sakurai polls)

this thread is to support the representation of this franchise in any way: item, trophie, stage or character. although personally i would love to see playable Pious Augustus and Alexandra Roivas with a stage (i've already got some nice ideas of movesets or the stage itself) i sadly seen it very unlikely.

also because the development of the game was from the canadians of sillicon knights (the sames that helped in metal gear solid twin snakes for the cube) and published by Nintendo Of America, it doesn't seems to have been very popular in Japan (but a japanese version do exist)

for the ones who don't know what eternal darkness is, well, i don't know hor the hell do you own a nintendo gamecube and don't have this jewel among you collection ¬¬

Eternal Darkness, Sanity Requiem, is the only nintendo only published horror game in the history of gamecube but thats not all, it isn't just another survival horror games full of blood and gore, no, it was a game a lot more subtle, and a lot more Dark... exploring a lot of pshicological faces of horror, the games counted with a health meter, a "magickal energy meter" and a more unique "sanity meter" (patented by nintendo) wich would be droping as more your character explored the mad and grotesque reality, sprouting the question that if that statue is actually looking at you, or you're just imaging it, that if the bleeding walls are really there, or they are only normal walls and you are reaching the door of insanity. "Perceptions doesn't define reality, they just help to color it"

The plot starts when a college math student, Alexandra Roivas is phoned in the middle of the night by the local police, telling her that her that they suspect that her grandfather have been murdered, and they needed her to go to his ancestral family manor in Rhode Island to help with the identification of the body, upon reaching in the not too pleasant sight http://www.mobygames.com/images/i/46/10/53260.jpeg and without the police being able to make some achievments in the case, she decides to start investigating by herself and uncover the truth behind the murder....

the game has a deep and dread atmosphere and strenghten with Poe, Shaekspeare, Lovecraft, even Frazer, the plot was excelent, combining history with wicked sci-fi , Lovecraft style, and the antagonist was simply memorable... so that is why I think that this franchise, althought it only have a only game, should be representated in Brawl...

here is the protagonist (althought you play as many protagonist in the story, through human history) Alexandra Roivas, heir of the Roivas family:

and here is Pious Augustus, ,once a centurion in the roman army, now, the right hand of the "Ancients", and everyone favorite undead liche of all time..

"You Fool!"

well what do you thiink?
I know that is "unlikely" to see them appear as playable characters and if they evre get as assist throphies i should feel lucky, but hey! thats the same with a LOT of other support characters threads arround here

so... do you support?

Kokaloo

Smash Apprentice
Nah, not really.
Horror games aren't really Nintendo's thing.
It's a shame, though,
Seeing as how that was one pretty freaky game.
It'd be interesting to see something made out of it for Brawl.​

vonfinell

Smash Apprentice
You win life! Eternal Darkness is my favorite Gamecube game ever, and it deserves a sequel more than anything ever created (well, there is Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil.)
Alexandra in Brawl would be pefect, I was actually in the process of making a moveset for her, so it's strange that you mention it. I'll post it here once I'm finished.

Cinder

Smash Master
Hmm...that would be kinda cool...don't know enough about the game to make a definate decision...for now, I'll just say that it's better than Kinnikuman:laugh:...hoo boy...I'll never let that kid live his decision down...

Kokaloo

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...that would be kinda cool...don't know enough about the game to make a definate decision...for now, I'll just say that it's better than Kinnikuman:laugh:...hoo boy...I'll never let that kid live his decision down...
Someone wanted Ultimate Muscle?​

Cinder

Smash Master
Someone wanted Ultimate Muscle?​
Yep...it was pretty funny...he still wants him in, too...I even made a fail pic based around it...here:

This is NOT directed at the TC...I actually like his idea...

Btw...not to sound like a n00b (OMG!!!), but could someone tell me a little more about this game...I guess I should read the entire first post, but I'm soooooo lazy:tired:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Btw...not to sound like a n00b (OMG!!!), but could someone tell me a little more about this game...I guess I should read the entire first post, but I'm soooooo lazy:tired:
i could tell you a lot about the game, but the resulting post would be a lot more extense than the first post, so i guess that wouldn't solve anything XD (also the first post is fully spoilers free!)

but i guess that for a hyper resmued analisis, is a hororor, ,phsicological game which takes place as the struggle of some humans against the force of the ancients, entities beyond the bounds of reality (much like the Cthulhu Mythos) in almost two millenia of human history, also the games plays with the frontier between reality and madness...

mmm, about alexandra, as
the final hope of the human race
i was thinking in a moveset with somes magicks of mantorok alignement, attacking with the enchanted gladius and being aided by
the ghost of the ones killed by pious
to make him unique, and fill a niche and be close to the role of the character, as for pious, he would have the summoning spells and the warring ancients alignemente spells, making him a lot more of a magician, and heavy magic user, which indeed, is better suited to his role and personality (altought if he is going to mantain his bone staff made of vertebral spine is questionable, because that doesn't sound much like "E" ¬¬)

the idea is not making another sword user and another mage, the idea is making alexandra and pious :)

also, due to this game isn't all about gore and blood, ,and a lot more about dread and pure darkness, you don't need to put a lot of bloody things (smash should be "E") to represent the game... just, more subtle darkness...

NukeA6

Smash Master
I wish I still had Eternal Darkness :(
It was one of Gamecube's early greats.

Sadly, no Eternal Darkness character has a chance for Brawl. Horror-types just don't belong in Smash. Then, again Snake did break in but Eternal Darkness just seems forgotten.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Sadly, no Eternal Darkness character has a chance for Brawl. Horror-types just don't belong in Smash. Then, again Snake did break in but Eternal Darkness just seems forgotten.
the first point is unlikely, smahs is too wide and can have almost everything...

sadly, the second point is a lot more true... i even don't know if sakurai even aknowledge the existence of the game ... :(

but who know? maybe brawl will have some surpirses :p specially because there will be some "not too known characters" as sakurai stated, "making a game full of only popular characters would be boring" or something like that :/

i think that maybe a good chance could be that Silicon knights, the ones who developed Eternal darknes, Also developed the Metal gear remake for gamecube, from where is the stage...

but who knows, ... iI can still hope...

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
ED was a freakin' fantastic game. I sure don't expect to see any playable ED characters in Brawl, but you never know who will show up as an AT these days :laugh:

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
It would be SO great, but that's not going to happen. They just don't fit in.

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
I support the idea, but it seems Silicon Knights like Rare, are no longer part of Nintendo.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I support the idea, but it seems Silicon Knights like Rare, are no longer part of Nintendo.
Don't know if they were part of nintendo, :S , but have worked togheter...

anyway, i think that nintendo holds the copyrights of Eternal Darkness, at leats of the sanity effects system...

and, I don't think that Sillicon Knights is Xbox exclusive , they are now working in a trilogy ussing unreal engine, called Too Human, that semms really godly, Sad im not getting an Xbox :( ...

but in their blog, they have confessed that would Love to make an eternal darkness 2 when the time comes.. maybe would be for WII?

who knows.. but Sanity effects+Wii mote would be the most interesting thing i could imagine...

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if they were part of nintendo, :S , but have worked togheter...

anyway, i think that nintendo holds the copyrights of Eternal Darkness, at leats of the sanity effects system...

and, I don't think that Sillicon Knights is Xbox exclusive , they are now working in a trilogy ussing unreal engine, called Too Human, that semms really godly, Sad im not getting an Xbox :( ...

but in their blog, they have confessed that would Love to make an eternal darkness 2 when the time comes.. maybe would be for WII?

who knows.. but Sanity effects+Wii mote would be the most interesting thing i could imagine...
Well, you do say that Nintendo might hold the rights on ED. Same on how they say they hold the rights on Killer Instinct.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I would love to see Eternal Darkness in Brawl. It was easily one of the best games on the 'Cube, and is a shockingly overlooked game (seriously, how can the GCN's first M-rated game be so overlooked, especially when "professional" reviewers and fans alike gave it such glowing reviews?). Its no average horror game - I normally don't like those, but this one I loved. The story rivals even the best RPGs out there IMO, and thats what makes the game.

Except for Isaac of Golden Sun, Alexandra is my most-wanted character from any non-represented Nintendo franchise. Unfortunately, the game will likely just get overlooked again - as far as we know, Sakurai may not even know exists; and certainly it doesn't have enough fans to get his attention. Which is a true pity, because Alex or Pious would make great characters for the game, especially considering the "WTF" factor it would have on most people.

For those who haven't played the game, I'd suggest watching (or rather, listening) to this. Its the opening cutscene of the game, from just after you start a new file. Gives you a great sense for the game.

Oh, and to those saying "it wouldn't fit," thats nonsense. Brawl is a game which includes both Metal Gear and Animal Crossing. Anything can fit.

Zevox

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Awesome game, though not sure I would like characters from it in Brawl.

Items would be excellent though, like a Rune Circle that casts Shield around you.

A stage would be the best addition IMO, but which one? On top of the Roivas Mansion? The Ehn'gha Ruins? The Forbidden City, near the Pillar of Flesh? How about the Cambodian temple, fighting over Mantorok's body? And who can forget Oublie Cathedral?

Zevox

Smash Lord
A stage would be the best addition IMO, but which one? On top of the Roivas Mansion? The Ehn'gha Ruins? The Forbidden City, near the Pillar of Flesh? How about the Cambodian temple, fighting over Mantorok's body? And who can forget Oublie Cathedral?
I'd go for either Mantorok's chamber in the temple (with Mantorok attacking sometimes for big damage), the Forbidden City (probably on a bridge of some sort, with monsters showing up every now and then), or Pious' scrying chamber with one of the ancients visible through the portal in the background.

And why wouldn't you like a character in the game? What'd be wrong with, say, Alexandra with a gladius and magick-based move set?

Zevox

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
You, sir, win the Smash Heaven.

This game was so unique and despite not having a great combat system, the whole style held the experience together. I played through multiple times just so I could see how the three gods looked in the final battle sequence against Pious (while they fight in space... if you've played it you know what I mean).

I could imagine Alexandra's attacks involving the spirits of all those other heroes of the past plus the rune spells, and Pious would be extremely cool looking in battle. For him, he could utilize those wacked out creatures and insanity skills.

This has virtually no chance of making it but as a "WTF", nothing would top this in my mind.

P.S. Who else here thinks that Xel'lotath was the most disturbing one to have as your enemy? Her whisper speech has stuck with me ever since I played that game.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
we have stickers! ^^ (i will start to post them in every post here...)

as for the stage, I have thinked in Pious scryng room, with the gate sometimes opening...

and also, everything in the background should be black, until a while there can be seen the movies of the ancient fighting in a epic and ciclopean way! (also with the some hordes of zombies appearing in waves)...

and I would gateful even if an item from the game appeared as a sole representation, because i somewhat feel thet will not be anything :( (And i would be utmost happy with 2 players characters and a stage)

but, if sakurai aknowledge the game, surely something would be in, also there are still some WTF slots in the roster than noone can know whom the hell are (stated by Sakurai that character wouldn't be icluded only by popularity (althought it helps) and probably we will see some characters that never were mentioned in sakurai poll...

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
Next to Alexandra and Pious, my favorite is Ellia. Could you please make a SSBB sticker of her?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Completely agree with this post, we don't need survival horror characters in Brawl.
but ED wasn't a survival horror, have you played it?
anyway why not? there are people suggesting leon kennedy, i mean seriously suggesting it, also, could you give a good reason why one genre of the industry like this shouldn't be represented? (nor blood or gore or seriousness is a good reason...)

and here is the ellia sticker

also, i made a new pious one

Zevox

Smash Lord
Completely agree with this post, we don't need survival horror characters in Brawl.
How ridiculously closed-minded of you. What makes survival horror games such? We have just about every other genre out there included - Action (Zelda), Adventure (DK), Platform (Mario), RPG (Fire Emblem), FPS (Metroid), Racing (F-Zero), Life-Games (Animal Crossing), Sports (Mario spin-offs, represented in Peach's moveset if naught else); heck, Melee even had a Puzzle game character (Doctor Mario). Why does being a horror game warrant exclusion from a series that seems willing to pick up things from pretty much any genre?

Zevox

vesperview

Smash Hero
How ridiculously closed-minded of you. What makes survival horror games such? We have just about every other genre out there included - Action (Zelda), Adventure (DK), Platform (Mario), RPG (Fire Emblem), FPS (Metroid), Racing (F-Zero), Life-Games (Animal Crossing), Sports (Mario spin-offs, represented in Peach's moveset if naught else); heck, Melee even had a Puzzle game character (Doctor Mario). Why does being a horror game warrant exclusion from a series that seems willing to pick up things from pretty much any genre?

Zevox
I never said being a horror game exclude anyone, certainly being from a minor horror game like ED does, it is barely a cult favorite, it didn't even sell well, no one remembers that game like they remember Resident Evil or Silent Hill, Nintendo just isn't cut for Horror games and neither is the Smash series.

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
This thread wins on an epic level, ED is the crown jewel in my Gamecube collection. Unlikely as it is, now that you've got me thinking about it, I'm gonna be really upset if this game isn't even mentioned in Brawl, kinda like if Isaac isn't playable.

By the way, can anyone explain to me how to get these little stickers into my sig? Appreciate it.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
ED was awesome, but sadly won't fit in Brawl. Well, not playable, and I doubt we'll see an AT...

But trophy? Sure! That'd be cool.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Yeah I think this game should get some sort of reference wheater it's a character or AT. I hope it isn't ignored. I don't think any Nintendo owned game should be ignored completly. (I know it's hard to include everything but they could just put them in as stickers/trophys)

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
While I'd love a playable character, I've accepted that there's pretty much no chance at all.

Hopefully us ED fans get thrown some sort of bone though. You could have some insane assist trophy effects taken from the series if nothing else.

*pictures mario's head falling off and reciting Shakespeare *

NukeA6

Smash Master
I never said being a horror game exclude anyone, certainly being from a minor horror game like ED does, it is barely a cult favorite, it didn't even sell well, no one remembers that game like they remember Resident Evil or Silent Hill, Nintendo just isn't cut for Horror games and neither is the Smash series.
Eternal Darkness sure looks like cult classic to me.

But yeah, it is forgotten. I hope they release it on Virtual Console because I no longer have the game :(

El_Duderino

Smash Apprentice
I know there's very little chance of this ever happening, but sometimes a guy gets to thinking...what if? There is certainly a very cool character here.

Alexandra Roivas
Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem

In this appearance, Alex is clad in her black tank top and jeans, and uses a Roman Gladius (a one-handed short sword with no hilt) as her primary weapon, and can also use a torch like a club, as seen in the game. She also makes extensive use of Magick, and is aligned with the chittering Ancient of Sanity, Xel’lotath.

Stats
Weight: 3/5
Speed: 2/5
Jump: 3/5
Size: 3/5
Power: 3/5
Falling Speed: 4/5

A Attacks
A: Hack: Alex brings the Gladius over her head and hacks downward.
AA: Double Hack: Alex hacks down again.
AAA: Finishing Blow: Alex grasps the Gladius with both hands and hacks with it one last time.
>A: Dry Burn: Alex brandishes her torch in front of her. Fire damage, hits twice if the opponent is not knocked back by the first hit.
Dash A: Running Slash: Alex does an horizontal, backhanded sweep with her Gladius, then leans back.
VA: Foot Stab: Alex crouches, holds her Gladius with both hands and stabs diagonally downward.
^A: High Slash: Alex sweeps her Gladius vertically, from front to back, over her head.
Smash>A: Enchant Item: Alex’s Gladius glows with a green light as she kneels, takes a step and thrusts it straight forward.
SmashVA: Dispel Magick: Alex kneels and drives her Gladius straight into the ground as green runes flash up from the ground on all sides.
Smash^A: Torchlight: Alex looks up and thrusts her torch above her head. Multiple hits, fire damage.

Aerials
NAir: Roundhouse Cutter: Alex does a roundhouse kick while holding her Gladius out behind her.
>A: Axe Kick: Alex flips forward with her right leg extended.
<A: Backstab: Alex twists and jabs behind her with the Gladius.
VA: Angle Cut: Alex swings her Gladius from shoulder height forward in a downward arc, ending with the sword in a position beneath her just past vertical.
^A: Flip Kick: Alex flips upside down and drives her foot straight up.

Throws
Grab: Alex grabs her opponent by the shoulders, facing her.
A: Struggle: Alex shakes her opponent around.
> Throw: Torch Burn: Alex holds her torch against her opponent. Fire damage, multiple hits.
< Throw: Shove Away: Alex turns and forcefully pushes her opponent away from her.
V Throw: Trip: Alex twists, shoves a leg under her opponent and bends her other knee, slamming the victim face-first into the ground with both hands.
^ Throw: Weak Spot: Alex lets go of her opponent, quickly sidesteps behind them and slashes upwards with her Gladius, hitting the victim in the back and sending them diagonally upward.

B Moves
B: Magickal Attack: Alex casts a spell which fires a green beam of energy along the ground. When it passes near an opponent, it will shock them and stop. Chargeable, and hits multiple times. While charging, Alex reads from the Tome of Eternal Darkness as runes add themselves to a circle beneath her.
>B: Enchanted Gladius: Alex throws her Gladius spinning in front of her, glowing with a shimmering green light. It passes through opponents in its path. When it gets a certain distance in front of her or hits a wall, it reappears in her hand, as if she never threw it away.
VB: Damage Field: Alex casts a spell which causes a triangular prism of green light to appear around her, blocking all attacks and damaging those who come near it while it is active. This attack has a set animation length, and cannot be held. The attack is instant, but the field crackles and dies away when it’s over, leaving her open to counterattack if it’s not timed right.
^B: Summon Trapper: Alex draws a three-legged, skittering creature called a trapper into this world. It will walk back and forth across the platform it is summoned on, much like a bob-omb, but when any person touches it, that person, anyone else who was near the trapper and any items near the trapper are all teleported a screen’s width in the direction the trapper was facing (note that a trapper can’t put someone outside the KO barrier, but just inside it). This kills the trapper. Summoning a second trapper will kill the one already in play, and they also die automatically after a set amount of time. When this attack is used in midair, the trapper instantly self-destructs and transports Alex and anything near her in the direction the control stick/pad is held. She can attack in midair after teleportation, but can’t summon another trapper until she lands.

Final Smash
Sanity’s Requiem: The background darkens and wavers, and the four-armed, headless Ancient Xel’lotath appears floating behind the stage, surrounded by the runes of summoning Magick. She remains there for 15 seconds, and once every three seconds she performs a random effect on each player (aside from Alex). These effects are as follows: sudden gain of 50% damage, gain of 75% damage over 3 seconds, apparent reduction of damage to 0% (but retaining the lightness of their original damage %), slow run speed and decreased jumping, fast run speed and increased jumping, reversed controls. In addition, the screen randomly bleeds and has insects crawling around inside it, and random hysterical laughs, crying and hollow knocking/footsteps can be heard. After 15 seconds have passed, the Ancient vanishes and all of her effects dissipate, including the return of all players’ damage to their values before the summoning, modified by the damage other players inflicted on them during the summoning.

Other
Entrance: Alex appears as a drawing in sepia tones, then fades into 3D and color.
Taunt: Alex pulls out the Tome of Eternal Darkness, opens it, and reads aloud the 3-rune Reveal Invisible spell, “Narokath Redgormor Xel’lotath.” Green runes flare up on the ground as she reads each word. Then she shuts the book and puts it away. The spell has no effect in this game.
Victory Pose 1: Alex opens the Tome of Eternal Darkness and scans a page, then snaps it shut and looks over her shoulder.
Victory Pose 2: Instead of the victory screen, an image of a heavy wooden door with a single barred window in it appears. A crazed male voice screams, “May the rats eat your eyes!” The screen flashes white, and the victory screen fades in. Alex looks around herself, then at the camera.
Victory Pose 3: Instead of the victory screen, a screen appears which reads: “Thank you for playing the Super Smash Bros Brawl Demo Version! Get back in the Brawl Christmas 2010!” The screen flashes white, and the victory screen fades in. Alex looks into the camera and nods.
Kirby Hat: Kirby gains a powdered wig.

Xel'lotath aligned (green) magick.

The Tome of Eternal Darkness, bound in flesh and inked in blood (it would probably have to be sized down a bit).

Xel'lotath

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
ED is a classic and needs to be somehow in Brawl. So where is my Ellia sticker?

El_Duderino

Smash Apprentice
Just busted out Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes again, and apparently it was jointly developed with none other than Silicon Knights. There might be a hope for friend-of-a-friend-of-a-former-roommate deals here. The plot thickens...

Top Bottom