• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Clutches of Darkness: Maximizing Ganondorf's Grab Game (WIP)

The Clutches of Darkness: Maximizing Ganondorf's Grab Game (WIP)

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
_Magus_ submitted a new guide:

The Clutches of Darkness: Maximizing Ganondorf's Grab Game - Get the most milage out of Ganondorf's grabs with these tips and followups.

I'll be the first to admit it - Ganondorf's grab game is by no means the best. He has short grab range, both standing and dash, and his throws don't have an abundance of followups. However, his grab game is far from useless, and actually gives you several options. In this guide we'll look at each throw, its uses, and any followups or combos you can get from it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forward Throw
Damage: 13%...
Read more about this guide...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The main thing you missed in this guide is the way D-throw sets up 50/50s into death by the edge. I believe it might combo into F-air at higher percents if your opponent DIs inward, which as I stated it something that you can force at the edge. Even if it doesn't, you often put your opponent in a position where they either airdodge immediately, or get hit by an immediate aerial, and if you read the airdodge, you can even land a D-air from this setup.

Gungnir likes using this read quite a bit.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
The main thing you missed in this guide is the way D-throw sets up 50/50s into death by the edge. I believe it might combo into F-air at higher percents if your opponent DIs inward, which as I stated it something that you can force at the edge. Even if it doesn't, you often put your opponent in a position where they either airdodge immediately, or get hit by an immediate aerial, and if you read the airdodge, you can even land a D-air from this setup.

I'll definitely be sure to add that! Anything that helps our grab game.

Edit: Added. Thanks for the vid. It helped me understand the set up a little better.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

Yes, Dhtrow > Fair / BCD Fair combos at around 60 - 80, depending on the opposing character.
However, it's not a true against all characters for some odd reason.

We can move very early after Dthrow against light ppl like jiggs, but we are able to mave much later after Dthrow against heavy ppl like Bowser.
Could it have something to do with this?

Last edited:

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Yes, Dhtrow > Fair / BCD Fair combos at around 60 - 80, depending on the opposing character.
However, it's not a true against all characters for some odd reason.

We can move very early after Dthrow against light ppl like jiggs, but we are able to mave much later after Dthrow against heavy ppl like Bowser.
Could it have something to do with this?
That definitely could. We have so many options in this situation, while our opponent has 1) eat damage for not airdodging, or 2) die from an airdodge read. I love it. I'll explore the fair option more.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Really like the guide; I've slowly gravitated pretty heavily towards the use of throws myself. I'd like to offer up potentially useful information.

Up Throw - I'm playing around with this one and am starting to find it pretty useful. It they jump in response to you, for most characters this exhausts there only jump. If this is the case it can greatly aid our edge guarding game if we can get them offstage, say by punishing or mind gaming them into an attempted ledge grab. Characters with predictable recovery are pretty much dead assuming we know how to deal with it. Characters like Ness, Space Animals, Falcon, Duck Hunt etc. can be very easy kills for us. Aside from that though, punishing landings is also a good option and can work in our favor scaring them towards ledges.

Down Throw - I believe some follow ups are DI based. If they DI away for example, dash attack punishes slow responses and usually air dodges with the weak hit(Which itself can lead into turn around grab.). Most other directions I attempt Uair, a favorite string of mine being Dthrow->Uairx2 which grants a nice positional advantage too. Full hop rising Fair into buffered choke/kick covers a good amount of options too and I use it tor this reason. Choke purposely towards the ledge followed by holding back can leave you less punishable too

Grab Release - Unsure if you want to include it but I otten grab release to great effect. Normally I dtilt out of it for potential kill, but jab can be good too. Other times I charge an fsmash if I predict a spot dodge or roll behind me. At the ledge, I like to grab release into run off dair(Any aerial really but dair is my first choice.). If they break upward I either do a delayed run off dair or double jump aerial to punish predictable jumps.

Are you covering command grabs as well?

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
Does this thread include Flame Choke as well? I made a thread dedicated to Side B a little earlier without knowing this thread existed.

Top Bottom