• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Gonna pop in and talk about sinking skull for a minute.

Has no super armor. Buries opponents. Can get a free blitz or blast burn if your opponent sucks at mashing. And the aerial version spikes if you sweetspot it from above. Basically right under Zard's nose.

I kinda like it. But Rock Hurl's Frame 1 armor is hard to let go of.

Though a question I have is if a Rock Smash and a Blast Burn break shields if used together?
Sinking Skull is so awful it should be banned /end of discussion.

Rock Smash and Blast Burn aren't known for doing a lot of shield damage, them breaking a shield if used together is irrelevant because both of the moves are suicidal to use on a shield in the first place.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Sinking Skull is so awful it should be banned /end of discussion.

Rock Smash and Blast Burn aren't known for doing a lot of shield damage, them breaking a shield if used together is irrelevant because both of the moves are suicidal to use on a shield in the first place.
I dunno man. Rock Smash on shield always seemed to eat them down to half for me.

Still you'll need to tell me why SS is bad. If it's just the lack of Super Armor and less damage then that isn't enough to dissuade me.

After all what anyone uses is up to preference. Even if most flock to Dragon Rush only due to the fact the move becomes no risk high reward. I find Blast Burn more fun. But maybe I just like explosions.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I dunno man. Rock Smash on shield always seemed to eat them down to half for me.

Still you'll need to tell me why SS is bad. If it's just the lack of Super Armor and less damage then that isn't enough to dissuade me.

After all what anyone uses is up to preference. Even if most flock to Dragon Rush only due to the fact the move becomes no risk high reward. I find Blast Burn more fun. But maybe I just like explosions.
Sinking Skull is awful because it's only useful on the ground, there is barely any time to follow up on the grounded state and landing the move is so ridiculously hard compared to the benefits. Comparing it to Rock Smash and Rock Hurl, super armor is essential for Charizard and it's the thing the makes our character Charizard. If you give up Rock Smash a lot of matchups become almost unbeatable.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Sinking Skull is awful because it's only useful on the ground, there is barely any time to follow up on the grounded state and landing the move is so ridiculously hard compared to the benefits. Comparing it to Rock Smash and Rock Hurl, super armor is essential for Charizard and it's the thing the makes our character Charizard. If you give up Rock Smash a lot of matchups become almost unbeatable.
So it's just the Super Armor basically. Which makes sense. Kinda why my go to custom is Rock Hurl for frame 1 armor. Because getting bodied is unfun.

Something that comes with the territory of playing :4bowser::4charizard::4ganondorf:

I will probably play with SS some more since you can edgeguard spike without needing to dair and get back on stage.

But if you want what's most practical definitely use the rocks.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Sinking Skull would be usable if it didn't stop your momentum like Brawl Rock Smash to compensate for the lack of super armour. As of right now though it's his worst custom.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
On a defensive perspective yes. Sinking Skull seems to be a more offensive option. As opposed to the innate defensive qualities of smash and hurl.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Ok but Skull is as fast as an fsmash with much less range and no invincibility

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
It might have come as a surprise out of a wavebounce / b-reverse. Charizard's B-reverse doesn't give him the biggest momentum shift in the world, but it might be just enough to surprise someone at high %.

I dunno, the move is probably garbage, but it doesn't hurt to try and find some usage for it.

:006:

Last edited:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
It certainly has usage, Zard has strong attacks to hit out of bury. But it can never replace the utility of Smash and Hurl. I don't get why they took the armor off. DK has it and the other customs have it. If it were DK side b with armor and shield damage, as it should be, I would absolutely suggest it in some matchups. You should never take it in a serious match. Literally one of the worst customs in the game.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I will agree though the utility of hurl is greater. It can stop a Bowser Bomb from ever happening.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It's not all about the armor. Rock Smash alone can do 30%, more than whatever you will likely get with Sinking Skull + Move, while also tanking through hits.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Is there any difference between grounded and aerial blast burn? I am confused why the flame aura is stupid huge in the air.

And if it means anything.

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
i use zard a little bit and he is really fun with customs. i really enjoy using him, i mean hes my secondary after all. its sad that for glory has no good zards though.

Last edited:

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
i love the gif kumaru! represents the power of charizard really well.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Speaking of which, I got a cool Charizard Y figure from a friend recently. He ordered a white GameCube controller online and for some random reason he got the figure free of charge with it. Must have been a problem with shipping. He didn't want it so he gave it to me. It's pretty neat... glad he got Y and not X.

charizardfigure.jpg

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
i use zard a little bit and he is really fun with customs. i really enjoy using him, i mean hes my secondary after all. its sad that for glory has no good zards though.
I'll be frank outside of me playing Zard, no one even bothers to use him lol.

Maybe because Reddit and EventHubs puts him at the absolute bottom of the tier lists lol.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
General perception is everything, it's the same reason, there's not of people who main most of the mid/low tier in this game when they are competing. You can win with these characters but you have to put in a lot more work with them. Which people generally don't want.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
General perception is everything, it's the same reason, there's not of people who main most of the mid/low tier in this game when they are competing. You can win with these characters but you have to put in a lot more work with them. Which people generally don't want.
Very true, though I've seen far more variance in this game than other titles but that can just be online I suppose.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
You're correct in the regards that online has a lot of variance. In fact, there are plenty of good players out there who don't attend any tourneys. Either because they don't have a local scene or just don't want to attend any. I've personally have come across a lot of them in FG.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I'll be frank outside of me playing Zard, no one even bothers to use him lol.

Maybe because Reddit and EventHubs puts him at the absolute bottom of the tier lists lol.
Dunno why. Guess they don't understand the glory that is Blast Burn. Or embrace the spin to win strategy that is Dragon Rush.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I wish Charizard had Fire Blast as a custom. Limiting it to I CAN FLY Mega Zard X was mean.

Not to mention Mega Zard's wings sound powerful. If only we had that kind of flight normally as a limited hover like Peach.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
My Zard has poor IVs, but I'm EV training it to be the best it can be :)
upload_2015-5-8_22-16-40.jpeg

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
Dunno about you guys, but I get so happy when I face another Charizard on FG. Yeaaah.... they usually lose because of sloppy gameplay... and they'll switch to a different character the next round...

Yeah, never mind, it's kinda sad lol

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Dunno about you guys, but I get so happy when I face another Charizard on FG. Yeaaah.... they usually lose because of sloppy gameplay... and they'll switch to a different character the next round...

Yeah, never mind, it's kinda sad lol
*sees character screen go blank*
*yeah you're switching to a higher tier, won't help*

Last edited:

LeifxErikson

Smash Rookie
Playing Charizard has taught me many lessons. The most important being that YOU ARE combo food. Other that that, playing Charizard is lovely <3

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
I dunno man, Charizard is probably the least combo-foodish heavy in Smash 4

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Playing Charizard has taught me many lessons. The most important being that YOU ARE combo food. Other that that, playing Charizard is lovely <3
As a Bowser main you don't know what combo food is. Fighting a good Kirby gives me nightmares.

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
Here's how I see it.

:4charizard: - I'm stuck in a combo and took a bunch of percent, but that guy took a bunch of percent AND has a bellyache! I guess my life's not so bad after all.

:4bowser: - Ouch

Last edited:
Top Bottom