• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Change of the Hardcore Gamer

Aeriath

Smash Cadet
Let me start off by saying I'm sorry if this has been said before, I just find it to be a really interesting topic worth writing about. I'd also prefer not to be flamed, just don't waste your time.

Lately I've been noticing a trend towards people recognizing themselves as hardcore gamers. This is a term I'm really interested in discussing. About 7 years ago, the term harcore gamer, to me, and I believe in general, meant a person who had a definite talent at video games. This would be someone who could beat the original metroid fast enough to have Samus shed her armor, could beat Contra 3 without using a continue, or would stay in the arcade playing Street Fighter until their fingers were about to fall off. A good example now would be a proffessional Smash Brothers Player. I'm defintiely not one of these people, but I do have a lot of respect for their achievements and determination. I on the other hand, considered myself to be a casual gamer. I palyed games for fun, and was defintiely above average on them, but wasn't the type to beat the game super fast or be at a professional level (not to say I don't play a lot, I definitely do).

Lately, however, most likely due to this recent casual craze and the inherent "mainstreaming" of gaming, a huge number of "gamers" have been identifying themselves as "hardcore gamers". I think now it's gotten to the point that anyone who even knows about more traditional games (Mario, Final Fantasy, Halo) ahead of time calls themself hardcore, while people who only play games like Wii Fit and Brain Age are called casual gamers. Although I'm admittingly a little out of it on recent gaming terms (and I'm not a big online gamer), I'm curious as to what the old type of "harcore gamers" are called now.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I've always seen it like this:

Hardcore = Someone who plays a lot of videogames... better said, A L-O-T. Mainly games from every, or, a wide variety of systems. Being they play so much, sure they're gonna be skilled at the games they play. (I don't think I'd consider someone who's 'not as good' at games a hardcore gamer.)

Casual = A happy-go-lucky gamer who could care less whether they win or lose. They just look for having a fun time. These people I wouldn't guess play games half as much as a hardcore gamer.

All this said was just my opinion; something I wouldn't call "official definitions". lol, Pretty much what you said, but a pinch of difference. I'd consider myself semi-hardcore, because I play a wide variety of games, lots of games (sometimes too much =D) and I usually strive to "master" (idk if that's the best word to use) the games I play to the best of my abilities to prove more than a threat to other gamers whom may challenge me. I stated "semi" because I recognize there a lot of gamers who are a crazy-lot better than me, so I don't even bother going to that level.
Hope my opinion helped.

Top Bottom