• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chain: Links Coming Together & Link's Disciplines

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Jab into walk away calmly (lulz).
LOL what?! Jab cancel into a walk away calmly? Why didn't I think of that? That's as defensive as you get. It's like Link slaps them twice "Hey! You! Calm down." and then walks away to do his own stuff.

Huggles, Quirky approves +20. I'm seriously have to going to try that now. I wonder if it works on CPU.

IYM!

Smash Lord
Yes huggles, you idea is good, i never think about it

maybe this technique( i write right this time) is not usefull for attack anymore, but can be really good for spacing.
maybe jab jab - cancel- jab jab jab and charge an arrow or pull of a bomb

or jab jab -cancel- SH (looking him but going back) Zair

quirkynature

Smash Ace
quirky (quirkynature): Red

List of commonly used ATs:
Jab cancel, crouch cancel, arrow cancel, invincibomb, ZAC, drop kick combo (very situational), tether ledgestall, grab happy, Z-air with bomb, 'rang spamming.

General Strategy:
I'm going to go ahead and take the liberty of telling you how my defensive Link plays: Start by taking out a bomb. Let the opponent approach. SH arrow followed by rang. When close enough, toss the bomb and retreating Z-air. Infuriate them into coming for a dash attack (hopefully). Airdodge that and B-air (the timing is almost impossible, but I've pulled off the Drop kick combo once or twice like that XD).

Shield like it's your life. Seriously. Whenever you can, shield. Grab, if possible, and throw offstage. Gimp without going offstage. I'm talking 'rang and arrows. Bombs have a vertical knockback aspect, so that's a no-no. Keep in mind that your opponent can do the exact same thing. They have a shield, too. That's why you're playing defensive, yes?

Aerials are a big no-no. Except B-air. D-air is a BIG no-no. Too much lag to play defensively. If your opponent loves SH aerials, Z-air is your friend/angled 'rang. Instant invincibombing is awesome for defensive players.

Most importantly, punish a laggy move. Rolled behind a Snake F-smashing (o_0)? F-smash. Or grounded Spin attack. Personally, I love the grounded spin attack (when it hits). Use it sparingly, or when you're absolutely sure it'll hit, because the hitbox vanishes if the opponent shields.

The only problem with my playstyle (all the crap I just typed up) is that it becomes very predictable very quickly. So you're going to have to be aggressive at some point. Or, for lulz, crouch cancel a jab cancel into a 'walk away' (thanks, Huggles!). Walk away and, when they approach, either SH B-air or SH 'rang or what-have-you. Z-air, if you want. Invincibomb. It's more dangerous against a DK and Ike, IMO, because of their ridiculously large hitboxes. Oh, and watch out for Snake's U-tilt. The 'walk away' might just be a 'fade away' into a Star KO. And King Dedede's grab. And ZSS' Plasma Whip (side-b). And Yoshi's Egg Toss. And...maybe just roll away two times? Or spot-dodge and jab again? Mix it up, is my point.

The one part where I fail beautifully is reading the opponent. Sure, you play a guy (or gal) a thousand times and you will know how to counter him countering you countering him countering your hit (mindgames ftw?). That's why, to play ultimate defensive, pick another character. It's not very viable in high tier play (heck, almost nothing I outlined would be viable in high-tier play--casual is another thing) but it'll do the job. If your opponent doesn't know how you play, say, Olimar, it'll be a very different match.

Secondaries:
Ike, ZSS (learning).

Best matchup:
Honestly? Ganondorf or Bowser. Ganon because, well, his moves are slow. Bowser because his hurtbox is so huge I don't have to worry about not hitting him with my SH B-air (OoS).

Worst matchup:
Marth. Not MK, not Diddy, not Falco. Marth. Dancing blade is ****. Cool looking, awesomely effective ****. That and he rips my defensive strategies apart. Which is why I picked up Ike.

Best stage:
FD? It's the one I've trained on most.

Worst stage:
Rainbow cruise. Too much moving for a defensive, "hunker down and turtle" Link.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
What's been working with people lately?

I've found Boomerang > Arrow to be pretty good.

Zair to jab is a really good zoning tool. It's also one of his most safest options.

Zair to Bomb Throw, I've found that my bombs connect more when they're at Zair length, and when they've been hit by Zair.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
ive been using boomerang > arrow for a while. Added damage, makes it safe against reflectors, and has a chance for an arrow lock.

Also when you zair > jab. Are you approaching, retreating, or just standing still? for both the zair itself and the jab.

I like to approach and retreat in a SH zair into a pivot landing Ftilt and retreating Zair into Fsmash to catch people who like to try and punish a shielded zair.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I just do it when they're in the zone of Zair. I don't really aim to hit with jab afterwards. But if they're in the range of Jab, I'll do the full thing. Without the jab it makes it easier for the opponent to get inside Link.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Im not too sure how i feel about this one...

Rito Link:
The Discipline of Air, the master of skies

Intro:
Rito Link has grown up among a Rito tribe and as such has taken a liking to being in the air. While Rito Link lacks wings of his feathered brothers, it won't stop him from trying to fly. His style of battle is much like that of a hawk, swooping in and out of combat with the wind beneath his feet.

Basics of Brawl:
The Discipline of Air appears to have a distaste for being grounded. So almost always will you see Rito Link jumping around. While he may not always jump for an obvious reason, and may just jump and fast fall to keep the feeling of flight. Being that he doesn't really stay still for very long, it may be hard to pin him down. Another little note about Rito Link, is that he loves to foot stool, as it allows him even greater height then a standard jump.

On offense, the Discipline of Air will most likely attack with an aerial. Like many Link's he favors using Zair for spacing and approaching, but will also throw in many F,N, and Bairs. Also being that he is the Discipline of Air, he really likes to make use of the Gale Boomerang for both damage and the Gale pull itself to mess up his opponents. Being the master of the skies, he feels no fear in chasing opponents off stage, as long as he knows he can make it back.

As stated earlier. Rito Link is rather hard to pin down. He never really wants to be standing still next to his opponent so just the standard shielding and spot dodging are not very common for him. More often then not he will either air dodge away, or just try to space with Zair or aerials. Also being accustom to the air, he may also drop bombs as a defense.

Advance Tactics of Battle:
Since Rito Link spends much of his time in the air, he will have to know how long each aerial will last, and if he can ground cancel them. Also since hes constantly jumping around he will most likely make heavy use of arrow canceling whenever he has nothing better to do, which could be used in both double and triple arrow. This Link will know the in's and out's of off stage combat, making use of Gale Boomerang, Nair, Bair, Fair, and perhaps Zair. He will also need to know many of the bomb dropping techniques that include stuff that lead to foot stools. Being the Discipline of Air, he will have mastered the use of Gale return, knocking people into it and pulling them down. A storm is coming, and it has blades.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Ha, I think this one sounds more like me than the others. I jump around a lot and use aerials. I've also been picking up the habit of when I think a nearby opponent is going to attack I jump Oos > airdodge > zair if I see an opening in addition to spotdodging a lot. I'm not sure if this is a good thing, haha.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Ritos are from Wind Waker. They appear to be a bird based race. I wanted to do an aerial based Link and i really couldn't think of anything else that would make sense in terms of LoZ. If anyone has any better ideas let me know.

Link to Rito Discription http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Rito

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Link is Link. Since no Link game is really based on the same Link, though maybe majora's mask. I really dont feel like you can separate TL and Link. Though each Discipline is based on a Race of Hyrule. Though i will probably have to change Twilight Link to Twili Link. Twili being the race that Minda and Zant are.

If it really is such a problem which i really dont think it should be. He could be Cucco Link or Oocca Link. Cucco being chickens or Oocca being this

But it really just makes more sense to me for it to be based on an actual race of people that roamed Hyrule one time or another.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Uh huh...

Anyway I'm going to need to figure out what to do after i finish these... Kinda why I'm dragging my feet doing them.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Uh huh...

Anyway I'm going to need to figure out what to do after i finish these... Kinda why I'm dragging my feet doing them.
Try figuring out movesets for them? Play theoretical matches in your head and then Brawl it out to see what works?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Movesets? You mean completely rework the characters? lol. Yeah not gonna do that.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Movesets? You mean completely rework the characters? lol. Yeah not gonna do that.
Whoa, no way! As in, decide which combo might suit which Link better. The dropkick seems somewhat aggressive, so it'd go to Fire Link (I forget his name)?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well Twili Link is up. Though with no extensive combo/attack string list, it would be hard to have enough of them to go around. Anyway this one was kinda fun to write up.

Twili Link: The Discipline of Darkness, the master of chaos

Intro:
Raised in the realm of Twilight. Twili Link sees nothing but darkness and chaos. Since misery does love company, the Discipline of Darkness main goal is for everyone he comes up against, experience the same thing he has lived with. When he battles, he not only fights on the field, but also in your mind.

Basics of Battle:
As the Discipline of Darkness, everything to him is about confusion and chaos. To not only be unpredictable but be able to predict as well. Basically the whole point of each match is to just mind **** his opponent and frustrate them to the point where their style begins to breakdown. After that is achieved, he proceeds to dominate them.

It is not easy to classify the difference in Twili Link's style in defense and offense. As with this particular Link, it's going to be hard to tell what he's doing anyway. He may get hit and knocked off balance, most would think he would retreat and then attempt to regain momentum. The Discipline of Darkness doesnt really believe in momentum, and if he is hit, he might instantly go into a counter attack. He may also from knocking his opponents off balance to retreating and then jump back into their face before they know whats going on. To make matters worse for his opponents, he may even avoid using projectiles at all for a while, just to lull them into a false sense of security at long range. When he feels the time is right, there will be bombs exploding everywhere, arrows flying, and the gale return when you didn't even notice the boomerang go out in the first place.

The Discipline of Darkness was had a lot of time alone. With all that time he has mastered nearly every advance technique he can perform. He will also know pretty much every strategy that is usable as well. He moves at a seemly random manner, however there is a method to his madness. He will normally act completely unpredictably and move in with different advance techniques and strategies each time. Or to just mess with his opponents he will be completely predictable on purpose to bait them out, so when they think they figured him out he completely changes what hes doing. However, being as "random" as he is, Twili Link does have his favorites. He enjoys bomb juggling, and had lots of time to practice. He will also throw the Gale Boomerang and seemingly random directions, but may cross over his opponents so the gale return can take place. Just to mess up their spacing. A shrouded of darkness has appeared in your near future, don't get lost in it.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
The final installment of "The Disciplines of Link" is finally up. And as an added bonus, its my 1000ths post which means I'm a SMASH LORD, and that I'm awesome. lol. Well not really but still 1k posts is a lot for me as it took me from 2008 till now to reach it. So lets party with Hyrule Link.

Hyrule Link:
The Discipline of Light, the master of flair

Intro:

Bless with a Hyrulian birth, he has always been in the light. So natrually Hyrule Link will seek the light. He loves fame, fortune, and being flashy, and no he doesn't like streaking, not that kind of flashing. Anyway, when the Discipline of Light charges into battle, he not only makes sure his shield and sword are nice and shiny, but he wants to make the fight as entertaining as possible with precision and flair.

Basics of Battle:
As the Discipline of Light, everything is about flair. He prepares for battle by training and learning combos and attack strings, and practices them over and over, so if the opportunity arrives, he can pull it off no problem. So basically the whole point of fighting for him is to make himself look good, and his opponent look bad. Though winning is always great, why not look good doing it.

Hyrule Link will always want to be on offense if he has any say in the matter. No one likes a hero who wins by just camping out. So the Discipline of Light will always charge head first into battle, most likely with a bomb in hand to start his fireworks. He will use quick strikes in his previously constructed combos and always finish off with flair.

While on defense, if somehow the battle turns on him. He will still attempt to be flashy by mostly perfect shielding, but will also spot dodging and air dodging. Hyrule Link doesn't like to roll, it makes his clothes dirty and he will not have that. To keep himself looking awesome, he will frequently pull off pivot grabs as his favorite of defensive tactics.

The Discipline of Light will need to know all of the advance techniques there is by watching all those he aspires to be like. Using the advance techniques, he will as stated before, construct complex and flashy combos. Practice them, know who they will work on, and at what percents can he expect them to work. Hyrule Link will get a lot of use out of jab canceling and make use of nearly every single attack he can do after it. An example being jab cancel then run past and Bair, highly flashy. To keep things from staling, both physically and visually, he will use projectiles in between his melee strikes, weaving in and out between mid and close range combat. Lights, Camera, Hyrule Link.

Itazuki

Smash Cadet
I doubt any of you know me, but I've been around for a while. Anyways, I've been maining Link since Melee. Just thought I'd try to be a bit more active around here

Name-(Kurai) Itazuki

Color Link-White

List of commonly used AT's
I wouldn't really say I use any AT's commonly. I like to throw them at the opponent when they aren't expecting it

Summary of overall strategy
My strategy changes depending on the stage, honestly. A few common things I tend to do are using advantage of Link's ranged attacks to rack up some damage before they close distance, and using the Hylian Shield to block any incoming projectiles if they choose to stay at a range. I tend to do a lot of dodge rolling as the enemy charges to get behind the enemy for a counter attack. I guess you could say most of my strategy revolves around using Links advantage of being both a close and long ranged fighter to counter whatever it is that the opponent launches at you, as well as catching them off guard by changing my game and maneuvers up occasionally.

Secondaries
Well, I can play Toon Link almost as effectively as Link (With a few adaptations, of course), but I consider my main secondary to be Marth. I've also started to play as Zelda and Sheik recently, but I don't consider myself good enough with them to play competitively. I can also hold my own as Pokemon Trainer to an extent.

Best/Worst personal match ups
I'd have to say, in no particular order, I'm worst against Wolf or Pit and I think I'm best against Samus. However, I guess it really depends on who's playing them.

Best/Worst stages
Best: Final Destination, Bridge of Elden, Smashville (All about equal)
Worst: New Pork

quirkynature

Smash Ace
He's played Melee. He joined March '08. That's when Brawl was released. I'm guessing that's also the time when Legan and the elites were active on SWF. For all we know, he's as good as them. He's just not posted a lot, but he's still been reading.

I lurked for a good deal before finally joining.

Itazuki

Smash Cadet
Haha, thanks for the welcome...Or I guess "re-welcome". Yeah, I've tended to be a bit of a lurker. The only times I've posted were to join online tournaments. Other than that, I've only really posted in the threads where posts aren't counted to find a few matches. As for joining in 2008, I got Brawl on launch night (After beating down everyone in a small local tournament ;D) and joined sometime after that. Anyways, as soon as I get my Wii from my mother's house, I plan to get back into the action!

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
The final installment of "The Disciplines of Link" is finally up. And as an added bonus, its my 1000ths post which means I'm a SMASH LORD, and that I'm awesome. lol. Well not really but still 1k posts is a lot for me as it took me from 2008 till now to reach it. So lets party with Hyrule Link.
I think we can choose prescriptively from between these disciplines, though.

There are absolute facts about what Link can and can't do. These 'styles', you say, have elements which put Link's aptitudes, either against, or square with, those strategies.

For instance, it's a hard fact that, given his roll speed, his air physics, and facts about his hitbox shapes plotted w.r.t impact time, Link cannot avoid encountering the opponent forever. That is, he doesn't control where fighting happens.

Throwing projectiles is still fighting; you're taking a risk, because chars in this game have projectiles, or anti-projectile abilities, or just really good whiff punishing due to landspeed.

Link has to take every situation seriously wherever he is. He has to answer an opponent that is probably more mobile than him.

I find that this fact alone, is at odds with at least the 'fire' and 'water' approach to play as Link. The idea of a strong defense is good for Link; there are true parts to the earth or water style (my main contention there being that I don't get the distinctions) IMO, but Water is asking Link to keep options open that, with a sober view of his frame data, he simply cannot. Yes, he can get around in the air, and he has a sick spot dodge, but appreciate this: if you use frames to commit to a kind of movement, you are cutting away the time for tons and tons of any other sort of thing you can do. If Link is to get use out of his utility belt arsenal, (in the way that, the upshot of the Water 'idea' is, that Link is adaptable), he needs to not commit in those kinds of ways. And that means taking actions which may, qualitatively (/ironically), become very different from an idea you'd get from the flow of water, as described there.

In the same vein, what Fire is asking Link to do is chase the opponent, pressure constantly, get all over them. Not just push them and have them come back, but chase them, even into diminishing returns. (For the psychological or otherwise extra-tactical effect of the pressure).
If Link can't get around, he can't chase people. He can throw a bomb far, but he always has his "base" he acts from, if we assume Link is not mobile. To 'go out there', pursuing the opponent, is to 'overextend' Link's resources. It takes time to get there, and he hasn't "brought" his aura of threat, his actual game, with him. Because he doesn't have the options for a while.

Consider this question: Are we to take that style as meaning fighting to the edge? Pushing the fight to the edge, then knocking off from there?

I thought we could say, 100% definitively by now, that Link hates doing that. Even if his K.O. power is unintuitively some of the weaker in the game, I'm quite sure he ought to be shooting for a straight K.O. from mid stage or an air->star, however long it takes to get there, rather than move over to the edge where he himself has no gimp ability vs. having the #1 most disappointing recovery in the game.

These styles have been constructed top down, from ideas of them. Hence, they are not, initially, equally valid. They become subject to the facts of Link's actual abilities, and the issue becomes empirical, purely empirical, what those facts mean about the effectiveness of the approaches.

The goal should come about scientifically: If it arises, in the gameplay itself, opinions of how to play Link - and, of course, only looking at the situations of a Link that wins; as in, when we say "how Link plays" we're just taking for granted the phrase "how a winning Link plays" - then we would try to categorize and cut up those theories about those styles, as a way of explaining something, namely, Link winning matches.

It would be the same structure as categorizing animals, by what they do, and how they live, and whether they share vulnerability to the same diseases. When you start there, and you find other commonalities - for instance, how the class "mammal", which has excessive overlap across its every member in internal workings, all additionally meet the simple description "has mammary glands" - that's when you know that you've "cut up Nature at its joints" (Aristotelian phrase), and found principles that 'systematize' - make formulaic - the thing you're studying.

You didn't start out with "has mammary glands", you found a Natural reason to classify animals in this one group by other properties, and then you went "holy balls, these are all, and only, the animals with mammary glands." You then realize there's even deeper facts at play, to why that group, has mammary glands. Your understanding deepens You call them mammals.

In the case of a character in a Fighter Game, Link, you first get evidence and testimony from pro players. You look at vids from a third-person perspective and analyze perceptually. You theory-craft. All this is how you start with some data.

But all this is a theory. A theory about what a winning Link is. And that data is fuzzy. A player can win in pro competition but not 100% know why he wins, or remember what he did. The mind makes up things. A person looking at gameplay obviously can be amiss to what's happening, as the classical example of the "combo-worshipping" scrub proves, plus the fact that you don't learn to play by watching, so something is missing. But you use all these methods to supplement each other. And it's not clear what is filling in which holes.
So it's all fuzzy. But that's fine.

Science can deal with errors. That's what you do, you just have to know how much your margin of error is, but you use your theories tentatively, and to the degree that they seem to "generate" stuff you didn't know before (e.g. a yet-unnamed zoological taxon has all mammary glands; or a theory about gravity predicts some stellar motion way way out in space), you figure "this is on the right track".

For a Fighter Game character, you basically have one thing you check: If you start using this theory, do you start winning more games?

I just had to set out on this myself, to make sure the limits to these 'disciplines' were understood.

Color-coded to prevent wall-of-text effect.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
First off lol you took it seriously. Yeah thats a huge wall of text. lol. The color coding doesn't help.

Anyway apparently you missed the whole
Intro: So I've decided to have a little fun and possibly be a little informative.
Everyone knows that this isn't really serious. It was meant to keep me busy while i explored the possibilies of play styles, the LoZ universe, and the other things which i don't know the right words to describe them. Anyway, this was more of a creative exercise that started out with me trying to figure out a way to properly describe the style in which i choose to play. For some reason i choose to write like that and people found it entertaining so i continued to do the rest. Starting with water, which is how i usually play.

For instance, it's a hard fact that, given his roll speed, his air physics, and facts about his hitbox shapes plotted w.r.t impact time, Link cannot avoid encountering the opponent forever. That is, he doesn't control where fighting happens.

Throwing projectiles is still fighting; you're taking a risk, because chars in this game have projectiles, or anti-projectile abilities, or just really good whiff punishing due to landspeed.

Link has to take every situation seriously wherever he is. He has to answer an opponent that is probably more mobile than him.
I have no idea what your going on about here. Are you saying i said this style of Link has to do this thing specifically? I never once said anything having a defined way to play, just that they aim to play a specific way, not that they only play like that. I used a lot of phrases like "if possible" or "if he doesn't have to."

Consider this question: Are we to take that style as meaning fighting to the edge? Pushing the fight to the edge, then knocking off from there?
What are you talking about here? I dont think I've said anything about pushing people off the edge. If you mean when i said something like "pressuring them till they have no where to run." This doesn't actually mean the edge. It just means that whatever they choose to do, you have some sort of answer for. Like if they roll you punish, if they jump, you punish, if they attack, you punish, ect.

"how Link plays" we're just taking for granted the phrase "how a winning Link plays" - then we would try to categorize and cut up those theories about those styles, as a way of explaining something, namely, Link winning matches.
When did i say anything about Link winning. Once again these just state how he aims to play. I never even said anything about winning.
"No one likes a hero who wins by just camping out."
" Though winning is always great, why not look good doing it."
"However, winning a battle only on defense is never possible. He has to eventually attack and kill his opponent to win."
The only times i used the word win or winning. And none of them says anything like, "this is how you win."

Anyway...
I have no idea why you are talking about half the stuff your talking about.
You didn't start out with "has mammary glands", you found a Natural reason to classify animals in this one group by other properties, and then you went "holy balls, these are all, and only, the animals with mammary glands." You then realize there's even deeper facts at play, to why that group, has mammary glands. Your understanding deepens You call them mammals.
Why is this here? Really? lol.

Once again... Anyway, you seem to focus on winning, which as i stated, has not once been talked about. There was no talk about winning, or play this way to win. It was purely how, given his style, would aim to play. Geeze if all you care about is winning why don't you just play Meta Knight and call it a day.

Lastly, i have no idea why everyone thinks that every single thing written on these forums have to be 100% serious.

And that boys and girls is why i wanted to make a different thread for this. While it does tie in with the "Chain Link" somewhat. Stupid people out there are going to attempt to take every word i say to heart and then try to some how flame me for writing something, which was never serious in the first place. And with this particular post, was focused on something that wasn't even talked about.

I invite everyone to go back to the second post, and show me where it says, "THIS IS HOW YOU WIN."

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I actually liked reading the whole "Fire Link", "Water Link" just because it's fun. And, who else can say they've that much creative energy behind them? If anything, it makes Ryos' take on Link unique and that's fine by me.

Also, wasn't this thread locked because we had the same conversation before? Scabe, please don't lock this thread again.

No offense, PK, but the mammary glands section had me going WTF, too.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
EDIT: You know what, I'm going to try something different.

To be completely honest here, I am somewhat mad about this thread existing and admittedly not being about competitive Link at all.
But I, being a reasonable person, know that it's not at all fair to take that anger out on you or anyone else here.

Right now I'm defending the existence of my post, to a bare minimum. And explaining my view of why that post exists. If anyone picks up on that post in a competitive discussion, I'll be happy. I'll happily forget about this thread, too (except for how I'll still be frustrated for a while, being only Human).

----

First off lol you took it seriously. Yeah thats a huge wall of text. lol. The color coding doesn't help.

Anyway apparently you missed the whole

Everyone knows that this isn't really serious.
Whether you were serious about it or not, everything can be used as a situation to learn something. At least with that, my post isn't a complete waste.

So then, it's still a question whether or not certain things are good or bad Link play. I mean, I can get my ideas for how to play Link by tossing scrabble letters on my floor, or listening to the local homeless whackjob. If it actually leads somewhere, or it helps as a point of reference, then it does.

So we can all reality check each other's thinking at this point of Link's meta, by looking at these proposals (just construing them as proposals) and talking about how they measure up.

I don't know how Link boards are but in most other boards the 'competitive' talk just sorta leaks into casual talk and vice versa, all over the place. Especially in Social, around Ganon boards.

When did i say anything about Link winning. Once again these just state how he aims to play. I never even said anything about winning.
"No one likes a hero who wins by just camping out."
" Though winning is always great, why not look good doing it."
"However, winning a battle only on defense is never possible. He has to eventually attack and kill his opponent to win."
The only times i used the word win or winning. And none of them says anything like, "this is how you win."
So yeah, with the above, it doesn't matter what your intention is. I thought I could still use this to do some theorizing/writing/investigation about Link's meta game, which partly these character boards exist for.

Anyway...
I have no idea why you are talking about half the stuff your talking about.
Why is this here? Really? lol.
That's just the way I write. I treat Fighter Games like a natural philosopher, and I tie everything to examples used in my philosophy education.

Once again... Anyway, you seem to focus on winning, which as i stated, has not once been talked about. There was no talk about winning, or play this way to win. It was purely how, given his style, would aim to play. Geeze if all you care about is winning why don't you just play Meta Knight and call it a day.

Lastly, i have no idea why everyone thinks that every single thing written on these forums have to be 100% serious.
True. But the boards still exist for competitive discussion. Outside social threads, each character forum in particular is for mainly meta game talk.
So you must forgive me for assuming I could have taken what you were saying as being about Link during actual play. As glanced over in that post, talking about gameplay is implied about winning gameplay here, otherwise SWF would be bogged down with so much extra text.

And, again, even if you weren't serious, what you say can still be used in discussion.

And that boys and girls is why i wanted to make a different thread for this. While it does tie in with the "Chain Link" somewhat. Stupid people out there are going to attempt to take every word i say to heart and then try to some how flame me for writing something, which was never serious in the first place. And with this particular post, was focused on something that wasn't even talked about.

I invite everyone to go back to the second post, and show me where it says, "THIS IS HOW YOU WIN."
... I don't like having to put words in people's mouths, but I'm getting hints that you figure I flamed you?
Since you asked me to tell you where you said 'this is how you win' (which I give up on), show me where I said anything you wrote was worthless. Or I referred to you.

I'm just talking about stuff you wrote.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I'm just going to say w/e i don't feel like reading a huge wall of text again.

I noticed a few things as i scrolled down initially to see how long it was. Recently the useful discussion has died down, maybe less then a week ago. We've been doing some back room discussion on getting it started again.

Few of the threads doing or will be doing discussion again are.
Problematic Move Thread Discussion: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=274361
Match Up Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=231077
Stage Discussion: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272311
Link's Team Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=274758

There were a few others that included an AT thread discussion lead by Fox Is Openly Deceptive, but the thread got bumped back by all the locked threads. I'm not really sure how to or do i really feel like looking for it. Got some good things to discuss upon and what not.

Most of the Link players hang around AiB from because of some drama in the past here. So there is only a hand full of active people here so discussion starts to stop moving if one of a few of us gets disctracted by something else. ATM i think the main distractions are SC2, School, and some RL related stuff.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
1. Name (Brawl Tag and SWF Account):
Toes, Drigo Toes
2. Color Link:
Green
3. List of commonly used AT's:
DAC, QuickDraw + Arrow Lock, Gale Guardian
4. Summary of overall strategy
Keep the distance with Proyectils until can see an open edge in the opponent's defense; punnish with a pseudo combo and trying to get an Arrow Lock or a Gale Guardian oportunity.
5. Secondaries
Kirby, Captain Falcon
6. Best/Worst personal match ups
Best: Snake
Worst: Diddy
7. Best/Worst stages
Best: PictoChat
Worst: Pokemon Stadium

Optional:
Location & FC: Chile, 0645-5524-7697
Videos:
The Perfect Gale - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR-cTmimtnE