• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The case of Wobbling in a local tournament scene

TMS

Smash Journeyman
Hey all,

My name is TMS and I've recently been a part of a budding tournament scene in my local area. While before this year there were no Smash-related events around, there have been already two events this summer; both to moderate success. It's a wonderful thing and I feel fortunate to be a part of the growing Smash community. Our events are run by a local business who does a great job of finding venues, reaching out to sponsors, handling funds, and collecting prizes to be given out in raffles at the events. Just in the aftermath of the second event, however, a leader of said business has come to me with a problem: the case of wobbling.

Wobbling, as you all know, is an exploit in Melee that lets the Ice Climbers guarantee a kill off of one grab, as long as both Popo and Nana are on screen next to each other. It has come to be a very powerful strategy in the competitive scene, with pro players such as Wobbles and Nintendude using the technique to take stocks whenever they get the chance.

The problem that has arisen here doesn't really have to do with wobbling itself, but rather with player reactions from it happening in tournament matches. Getting wobbled isn't exactly fun for anyone; it just makes the player sit there and watch as his or her character's percent goes upwards of 200%. At the latest tournament, an Ice Climbers player showed up and ended up taking third place out of sixteen, earning many of his kills from wobbling the opponent. While I thought he was a nice guy and was happy to have him at the tournament, some of the other players weren't so happy. There were complaints related to wobbling being said all over the room, and supposedly one player even threw his controller in anger after getting wobbled. Many newcomers to the tournament lost very quickly because this player was grabbing them and not letting them go; a technique which new players might not understand.

This is not a good look for potential sponsors or businesses who wish to get involved with the tournament host. After the tournament concluded, the business leader who ran the tournament came to me asking my opinion on wobbling. This guy is not exactly part of the smash scene (his job is to set up any local e-sports events, not just Smash), but he firmly believed that Wobbling should be banned from tournaments. I personally didn't agree, but I did understand some of the points made.

His business is about getting people involved in the local e-sports scene, and setting up events for those players to have fun at. Will new players come back if they went 0-2 in their first tournament because of wobbling? Possibly not. Is wobbling exciting from a spectator's point of view? Definitely not. This is a problem because the business wants to have the most exciting event possible; not just for players, but for spectators as well, so more people can get interested in the scene. If an ICs player runs through the tournament and most of the stream is dominated by Popo's pummel, will people really tune into the stream? Probably not.

I personally believe wobbling should be allowed, but the points made above are sound ones. Coming from a traditional fighting game background, infinite combos are something that happen all the time. The general mindset regarding infinites is "don't get hit." This sort of applies to Ice Climbers as well. Don't get grabbed. Fighting the Ice Climbers requires matchup knowledge just like any other character. In traditional fighting games, however, infinite combos are usually very difficult to perform and even garnered respect among the crowd if a player could pull them off. Wobbling requires no technical skill at all, which is why its so off-put by many players in the community.

I'd like to hear some of the voices on Smashboards and what they have to say about this issue. Currently, the official ruleset allows wobbling to be performed, but for the sake of a (relatively) small local community, what do you guys think? Should it be banned? Should the rule be kept the same, or altered in any way? Please let me know!

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
If you don't think the presence of wobbling is conducive to the growth of your local scene, ban it. I mean, you can do whatever you want to your rules if players are going to abide by then. Of course, you wouldn't want to stray so far from the popular ruleset, because you'd risk your credibility outside of your scene. However, you a wouldn't be the first to ban it. I'm sure you won't be the last.

However, if your smash scene grows in size and popularity, you should consider reinstating it (if you do ban it). The players who complain need to learn how not to get grabbed if they want to combat opponents who wobble. If your attendance is large enough that a minority of players who disagree with wobbling don't attend and you're still fine, then you can proceed without them. :/

Or you could never ban it, and try explaining to people why you believe it should stay. Perhaps you'll at least give it a chance?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Just ban it. You can define wobbling as 4+ pummels from a grab.

You're the TO, you're the boss. If players don't like the rules you set, they don't have to attend.

Frnk

Smash Rookie
I like the idea of being wobbeld if its minimalized to two times per game

Last edited:

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Ban it like others say. You're the TO, don't get bossed.

On the other hand though, I can't ever see how people serious about Melee can praise it for bugs in the game that make it better to play and more conducive to competitive play, but when someone finds one that helps them win its a terrible thing. I get the frustration behind it, but like everything you need to learn to adapt to it

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If you don't think it should be banned, then don't ban it. If you think it should be banned, then ban it.

I've never had to consider the opinions of bad players or sponsors when deciding a ruleset and I hope the Smash community never goes in that direction.

Last edited:

WhyYouSalty

Smash Cadet
Guys to be honest I think I was better than every person there except Tyler and Shonic. Not so much skill level but Marth is by far my worst match up with every character. I was getting grabs off of basic things such as standing still holding shield and waiting for any body to throw an attack at my shield so I could shield grab. This is a basic technique that punishes newcomers to the smash tournament scene. Such techniques can be applied to all characters but are just amplified when you throw the possibility of an infinite in there. Or other stuff like reading recoveries which is a pretty basic thing that should be done with all characters.
The only game that I believe may have been different was my pools match against reneblade where he quit our match in a very abrupt fashion not even finishing the first game. Now that is not a great attitude for new comers to see, a local hero ragequitting in pools. At least I attempted to offer tips whenever and wherever I could. If the issue is about growth then a lot more has to change than wobbling. Dont put money on the line if you want more people to enjoy their experience. If there is money on the line everyone will try to win.
Ban wobbling if you would like to. But, if you are doing it to somehow promote growth in your community the attitude of the players will need to change as well.

Wobbling isn't the issue. Free the Ice Climbers.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
There is nothing wrong with catering a ruleset to bad players or sponsors. Every event has its own needs, and it sounds like you have specific needs regarding the perception of this technique in gameplay. Just ban it. I think you know this is the obvious answer, and I'm here to tell you to trust your best judgment on it.

Th3 Ice King

Smash Cadet
I have do not know the accuracy of this, but someone told me wobbling was banned for 7 years. Is this true and if it is why was it unbanned?

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
IC need wobbling. You may as well just ban IC altogether if wobbling's not allowed because IC meta revolves around their grab setups and they're down a full tier level without it. If IC are going to be crippled then it's only fair to ban something from all the characters on the same tier or higher as well. Don't have a double standard and ban wobbling but no other moves from other high-tier characters. I have no respect for tourneys that don't maintain fairness and I'm sure many others share this sentiment. The best thing is to not ban anything and let scrubs cry and tell sponsors they can find another tourney if they don't like it.

Frnk

Smash Rookie
IC need wobbling. You may as well just ban IC altogether if wobbling's not allowed because IC meta revolves around their grab setups and they're down a full tier level without it. If IC are going to be crippled then it's only fair to ban something from all the characters on the same tier or higher as well. Don't have a double standard and ban wobbling but no other moves from other high-tier characters. I have no respect for tourneys that don't maintain fairness and I'm sure many others share this sentiment. The best thing is to not ban anything and let scrubs cry and tell sponsors they can find another tourney if they don't like it.
Yeah lets ban marth his uthrows cause a ic can 0 death but marth can do 60%. Thats stupid

Cantus

Smash Cadet
Except they don't need it. Fly is one of the best two IC players ever and he doesn't Wobble at Ll.

Lily~!

Smash Rookie
People don't like losing in general, especially because of things they view as cheap or gimmicky, or just don't know how to deal with. Is someone who went 0-2 because of Rest any more likely to come back as someone who went 0-2 due to Wobbling? A lot of the negative reaction to Wobbling has to do with people not understanding it, since plenty of other characters can get kills at very low percents out of a grab.

Now to address the problem of IC players who use Wobbling as a stall, or just make it take too long in general, the other player can take advantage of the pausing rules. By pausing during the wobble, the player is forced to sacrifice a stock, meaning the Ice Climber player must let go and let them suicide, or else a case can be made against the IC player for stalling the match.

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
Yeah lets ban marth his uthrows cause a ic can 0 death but marth can do 60%. Thats stupid
It is stupid to ban that. Just like it'd be stupid to ban wobbling. That's my point. This whole "ban wobbling" thing is just scrubs finding a way to complain about a 0-death combo that they think they can finally get away with being scrubs about because it's different and requires less skill to perform.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I'm not very well-read on the topic, but I don't outright support a ban on wobbling. However, like with ICs chaingrabs in Brawl, I really do believe players should use discretion on using such tactics depending on who they're playing against. First impressions of a game are very important to first time players who, like you said, likely don't understand why this particular situation is happening, and is a huge turnoff that they're not realistically going to learn anything from. Same goes for the kind of image such reactions create for outside sponsors looking in.

People love to say things like you have to play your best no matter who your opponent is no matter how dirty you have to play etc etc if you can't deal with it get better, all that stuff, but try telling that to a sponsor and see how interested they still are after a guy just threw his controller because of your gameplay. Every smash game has all sorts of lame stuff in it but we're getting to a point now where image and first impressions matter more than ever.

Top Bottom