• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big House 4 feedback thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hey everyone, I'd like to address a few issues that have continually been brought up.

1. "PM going 2 hours late/Melee Top 8 starting 2 hours late"
As Juggleguy and others have stated, this was caused by the decision to stream the entirety of R1 Bracket (loser guaranteed 17th) on VGBootcamp. This was 8 bo3 sets worth of time, around 2 hours. In contrast, the PM top 32 streamed only 3 of the R1 matches and as a result finished Top 32 -> Top 8 early despite running Bo5 for both WQF and "Loser gets 9th" top 8 qualifier matches, 8 bo5 sets before top 8. Additionally I had a super fun time personally setting up Project M on the VGBootcamp stream afterward despite others telling me it was already taken care of, so we started around 30 minutes after Melee had ended.

2. Someone yelling "shut the **** up" over the intercom before we announced Wave 1 of PM Bracket Pools.
This person wasn't a TO, an assistant TO, or otherwise authorized to use the microphone and I didn't personally hand them the microphone. I don't even know who it was, but I don't appreciate it either. A simple shut up or be quiet would have worked fine.

3. Lack of projector for TLoc stream Day 1.
This was a technical issue, and in fact caused the computer TLoc was using to BSoD. Rather than spend time and not stream some matches, we decided to try to address the issue the next day and it was indeed resolved. Be assured that it wasn't because PM was being treated differently than Melee.

4. Top 3 -> Top 2 cutoff for pools.
This was 100% caused by a lack of setups. We had an abundance of Wii's with Project M but no TVs to go with them, so we were down around 15 setups Despite the RR pools themselves finishing early, it didn't save us any time in the schedule. It wasn't really possible to do Phase 2 of the tournament with the amount of setups we had, ESPECIALLY considering the mixup that resulted in some players being in the same wave for both PM and Melee during Phase 2. I don't regret my decision and I think a majority of the 3rd seeds would have simply gone 0-2 in bracket pools. Sorry, I hope the extra friendlies you likely got were fun. As Juggleguy mentioned already, we had a clause since day 1 of registration that the tournament structure and schedule were subject to change based on circumstances.

5. PM 3 stock ruleset.
Juggleguy has already explained why it was probably overall a good idea to run 3 stock at this event. The Big House 4 PM was a great event and will go down in history of one of the best events to ever be run for the game despite being 3 stock. There were murmurs about the 3-stock ruleset at the event, but overall people had a great time and our Top 8 featured impeccable gameplay.
That said, I have no intention of ever running 3 stock PM again at The Big House, or any other event. Cutting PM down to 3 stock at a tournament with another game that has been going overtime at venues for literally over a decade running 4 stock makes no sense at all and PM doesn't deserve it. Let me know when the Melee community does the same and I'll be the first on board, but not until then.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the PM side of the event, but I certainly learned a good few things to apply next year if I choose to do it again. Expect bigger and better things from TBH5. Keep the feedback coming!

Last edited:

kofinater

Smash Apprentice
GOOD
$2 venue- good sized venue and setup placement
$1 so many recorded matches
BAD:
$2.50 PM: So its not the game itself since that would be some bias on my part since i don't like it but the TO staff as a whole seemed disinterested in it. Many more melee matches recorded, announcements during hype PM matches, cutting down to 3 stocks. top2 instead of top3. Imo the pm community is big enough to stand on its own feet so either treat its as an equal or stop baby sitting it entirely and stop running it. This was the second biggest PM tournament ever, but from the aura around it at the venue it definitely had side event status.
$0.99 running late on Sunday, it was a hype top8 and im glad i stayed, but class was rough the next day and i was hoping to start heading back to PGH at 11, maybe ease off of main stream matches for bracket even though there were a bunch of hype ones
$.01 Wobbling: I think the ban is arbitrary especially when hanging out on the top platform for 7 minutes as Falco vs Peach is a thing

Last edited:

Coffeemug

Smash Journeyman
If I'm allowed to throw another two cents in towards something that's not really a critique....

As a melee player who's very uninterested in PM, I very much enjoyed watching PM top 8. The 3 stock rule kept things fast paced and interesting. I also think the time issue could have been resolved by running each game on their respective streams. I don't think that would have taken away any hype because any time people screamed for something a majority of players would come over to see what's going on.

Just an idea though. Main thing is I liked PM's pace this time.

shnizalwizal

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2681-9046-0901
I'll try to make this a TOing perspective that pertains to Staff-Player relationships.

Most favorite:
$3 Extreme cooperation with other pool captains and players to go on stream. We rarely had any issues here, only time being fighting about who would go on MeleeMilwaukee vs VGBC during Phase 2 (had to snatch darkrain for VGBC just for the Juggleguy). And trying to force WF before LS that didn't happen. Also big shoutouts to BigWenz and emoDinosaur for assistance.

$1 I get one more dollar for being staff. :088:

Least favorite:
$1 Having to deal with the missing nametags

$1 Trying to get in contact with the pool captains in between the two center islands by weaving through a hamster maze. MeleeMilwaukee's location was a little bad in terms of crowd control, but at least the TOs could watch all three streams from the TOing desk on Sunday.

$1 Trying to track down who was in PM while they also had a Melee obligation. Chad and I communicated via microphones... decently well, so I hope in the future the PM overseer would also have a microphone to answer. This also requires the PA system to be more clear

$1 The 3rd and 4th floor were like college dormitories: sweat and alcohol
did the other floors really smell bad? I wonder if the hotel would be welcome to us using their venue again...

CTL17

Smash Lord
did the other floors really smell bad? I wonder if the hotel would be welcome to us using their venue again...
I was pretty much only on those floors. I'm sure the other floors were fine, though 2nd floor residents might have hated the people upstairs

SophyBer

Smash Apprentice
PROS
1.) RR Pools
2.) 3Stock

CONS
1.) Announcements made over matches with high attention on either of the stream setups.
2.) People sitting in close to the action spectator seats that opted to be super attentive to their Smash 3DS games rather than watch the main games that theyre ao close to.

Top Bottom