• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best (Overall) Pikmin

Excellence

Smash Champion
Let's cut the bull about each Pikmin being equal and let's discuss which Pikmin is the best, not potentially because of some rare encounter or unlikely situation, which because is the best during a reliable percentage of encounters. I'd like to hear what some others think before I give my imput.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Purple suck
Red boring
Blue = second favorite
Yellow = meh
I love whites.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Okay, whites are the best because you can get your opponent from 0-60 in less then 5 seconds with them.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Okay, whites are the best because you can get your opponent from 0-60 in less then 5 seconds with them.
I disagree. Five seconds are a long time in Brawl, and a lot can go on within those five seconds. I'm sure the Purple Pikmin will be removed before it can cause any major damage. If you're camping, I'm sure the opponent will attempt an approach while still being caution of grabs.

They're also pathetically weak which means you're probably not going to be killing with them. That alone limits they're uses to starting combos, throws, and being throw.

asob4

Smash Champion
i think yellow is the best
kills a little later, but the trapping element of the electricity is too good to pass us
they combo well, can kill, have a strange arc that's perfect for comboing into a latch, and have awesome elf ears :3
red is second best, then blue, then purples, then whites.
in terms of combo's and whatnot
latch belongs to whites

iTz NaY

Smash Cadet
i think purple is the best. u can throw em and have knock back. at a fairly high percentage. upthrow will kill. and if u F-air or d smash the knock back is insane

Shintarru

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1676-4016-3956
I say blue cause the back throw is crazy, and they are more durable than other. I would say that the blue is the more balance pikmin.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Yellow
Blue
Purple
Red
White

coming from the guy who only uses 2 pikmin at a time >.>

Yellow = disjointed uair and hitboxes in general pl0x makes jugglin' with uair so much easier

Blue = lol f and b throw is funz.

purple = usmash? must I say more?

red= except vs Zard/Bowser/Snake/Ness I find less use

white= lol. suicide bombers for me

Excellence

Smash Champion
Yellow
Blue
Purple
Red
White

coming from the guy who only uses 2 pikmin at a time >.>

Yellow = disjointed uair and hitboxes in general pl0x makes jugglin' with uair so much easier

Blue = lol f and b throw is funz.

purple = usmash? must I say more?

red= except vs Zard/Bowser/Snake/Ness I find less use

white= lol. suicide bombers for me
pl0x? Might you be a fan of MapleStory?

I totally agree with this list, except Red > Purple because red has a bit ,more versatility.

Kaicyios

Smash Rookie
The more I play Olimar the more I grow to enjoy each Pikmin. However, in my experience the following have been the most useful:

1) Blue: It is well balanced, the back throw is crazy strong and probably my number one killing move.

2) Yellow: The arc they travel in when throw is very helpful and are the king of upsmashes, which is easily one of my most used moves. The hitbox for it is insane.

3) Purple: It can be good or bad. The no latching effect is good and bad depending on the situation. They are powerful, but their range sucks. The overall power and upthrow make it useful.

4) White: I tend to either love it or hate it. Latch damage is amazing early on, however later on in the match when I need a kill shot they aren't of much use. I can't tell you how many times I've been fudged over by a whitey. Sometimes, if I have the opportunity, I chuck them off the ledge and repluck.

5) Red: I like red alot. It is probably the best elemental because it can survive in many situations and it's F-air rocks.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmmm.. best? They're all good. Here's how I'd rank them: yellow, red, blue + purple, white

Yellows are good for comboing, the arc is helpful sometimes, and a bigger hitbox on upsmash as previously mentioned makes for easier killing.

Red has the most damage on his aerials. Enough for me, lol.

Blues and purples are tied. They both have their ways to kill. Purples are good to knock people away for spacing. Umm... not much else

whites are the most overrated pieces of crap. They do a bunch of damage, but they're easy to knock off. When they're off, they're the worst.

Weruop

Smash Ace
dangr
meh whites are good. follow with pressuring or jump over a shielding foe and throw rite at his back rite b4 u hit ground and usually itll hit him cuz he'll put down shield. then atk so they are torn between fiting u or fiting off the white pikmin. theyre also pretty good 4 comboing

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
whites are the most overrated pieces of crap. They do a bunch of damage, but they're easy to knock off. When they're off, they're the worst.
Whites are good for pumelling opponents. :)

Yellow are the best for combos, Red wins second place. This because of their 'animation'. e.g. Flame and Electricity.

This does not apply for Whites as they have low knockback ability.

Snail

Smash Lord
I personally love Purples but I suppose Blues are the best. Can be used for everything and killer throws give them an edge over reds and yellows.

I dislike whites with a passion but I guess there's not much I can do about it x) Sometimes I end up with like 3 of those in my line... I just go out of my way to chuck them off the ledge >_>

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Blue is imo the best. Followed by red, yellow, purple and white in that order. Blue can do anything: combo, kill with smashes, kill with throws, latch it, great range, you name it. Red is more powerful and can do everything mentioned except kill with throws. Yellow can do everything red's can except less powerful. I personally think yellows are overrated. Their "elemental" factor is not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. It helps, but Olimar's combos usually aren't too hard to pull off anyway. Purples hurt like a mother, are great to use as a projectile and their hit stun when thrown can be used to combo into. They are terrible however for combos and their range is poor. A purple uthrow kill is always nice though ^.^. Whites are, well, whites. I personally like them, but compared to the other 4, they really aren't that good. The damage they can pull while latched is pretty nice and creates openings as your opponent knocks them off, but they are weak.

To answer your question, blue.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I disagree. Five seconds are a long time in Brawl, and a lot can go on within those five seconds. I'm sure the Purple Pikmin will be removed before it can cause any major damage. If you're camping, I'm sure the opponent will attempt an approach while still being caution of grabs.

They're also pathetically weak which means you're probably not going to be killing with them. That alone limits they're uses to starting combos, throws, and being throw.
I'm sorry but did you just say that Purple Pikmin latch on?

Anyway you would think with our ever-growing community of Olimar players we would have found some kind of use for the whites low knock back by now =\

dangr
meh whites are good. follow with pressuring or jump over a shielding foe and throw rite at his back rite b4 u hit ground and usually itll hit him cuz he'll put down shield. then atk so they are torn between fiting u or fiting off the white pikmin. theyre also pretty good 4 comboing
I've yet to fight an opponent that has simply stood there with their shield up while I jump completely over them and far enough away to throw a white Pikmin. And I hope I never do.

Excellence

Smash Champion
How's this?

Yellow Pikmin
Advantages:
  1. Arced flight pattern
  2. Static ability
  3. Larger hitbox than the rest of the Pikmin
  4. Dual Down Smash
Disadvantages:
  1. Low Knockback.

Overall, the Yellow Pikmin is without a doubt the best. When thrown (Side B) Yellow Pikmin follow an arced flight pattern which is extremely useful for combo purposes. This can also be used to block projectiles that take routes that are generally harder to hit. Sticking with an electrical theme, Yellow Pikmin have a "Static" ability. The static ability holds a victim in place while they're being hit by reducing the effects of DI. This makes usage of Uair a lot more effective because the attack doesn't need to hit dead on to truely have an impact. Many people have questioned whether or not the Yellow Pikmin have more range than the other Pikmin and they do. I've only tested them on Smash attacks, but Yellow Pikmin have slightly more reach than they're brethren. The only downside to Yellow Pikmin is that they KO at slightly higher percentages, however this can be overcome. Catching an opponent with Down Smash while they close to Olimar will cause the Yellow Pikmin and the other used in the attack to both deal damage and knockback.

For anyone who'd like to also test this it's best done in the Wifi waiting room. Pluck Yellow Pikmin, Red, Blue, and White then try and get all colors but Yellow to hit. If you come just a hair outside of the sandbags hitbox, you'll notice bright red sparks letting you know you're close but can't quite reach. However, Yellow Pikmin will actually hit the sandback. The same notion applies to all smash attacks: Forward Smash, Down Smash, Up Smash and the sub-smash, Hyphen Smash.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I think it's without question the Yellow have some kind of extended range, most notably on Fair's but thats more or less just a disjointed hit box reaching slightly under Olimar.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Maplestory won't work for me xD but no, I'm not.

I still like my purples more then red because of the killing power, otherwise red would win.
Maplestory Stinks.

How's this?

Yellow Pikmin
Advantages:
  1. Arced flight pattern
  2. Static ability
  3. Larger hitbox than the rest of the Pikmin
  4. Dual Down Smash
Disadvantages:
  1. Low Knockback.

Overall, the Yellow Pikmin is without a doubt the best. When thrown (Side B) Yellow Pikmin follow an arced flight pattern which is extremely useful for combo purposes. This can also be used to block projectiles that take routes that are generally harder to hit. Sticking with an electrical theme, Yellow Pikmin have a "Static" ability. The static ability holds a victim in place while they're being hit by reducing the effects of DI. This makes usage of Uair a lot more effective because the attack doesn't need to hit dead on to truely have an impact. Many people have questioned whether or not the Yellow Pikmin have more range than the other Pikmin and they do. I've only tested them on Smash attacks, but Yellow Pikmin have slightly more reach than they're brethren. The only downside to Yellow Pikmin is that they KO at slightly higher percentages, however this can be overcome. Catching an opponent with Down Smash while they close to Olimar will cause the Yellow Pikmin and the other used in the attack to both deal damage and knockback.

For anyone who'd like to also test this it's best done in the Wifi waiting room. Pluck Yellow Pikmin, Red, Blue, and White then try and get all colors but Yellow to hit. If you come just a hair outside of the sandbags hitbox, you'll notice bright red sparks letting you know you're close but can't quite reach. However, Yellow Pikmin will actually hit the sandback. The same notion applies to all smash attacks: Forward Smash, Down Smash, Up Smash and the sub-smash, Hyphen Smash.
Yellow Pikmin are pretty good, but Blue Pikmin demand respect. Have you read True Redemption's Guide? Blue Pikmin are all-round.

P.S. The Standard Pikmin Trend in knockback is...
Purple>Red>Blue>Yellow>White

As you can see from here, Yellow Pikmin is second last. :(
Although Blue Pikmin is in third place, the difference between Red Pikmin and Blue Pikmin are barely discernable. :)

Fino

Smash Master
K first of all, I've read maybe 4-5 posts here, 2 consisting of something along the lines of 'ZOMG blues are teh best because true redemption said so.'
First of all, yes, he did write a guide... but c'mon people, let's form our own opinions here shall we?
IMO I would rate them like so
Yellow + Blue, Red, Purple > white
I give yellow and blue equal footing for the different advantages they bring, and I can't quite put one over the other. Yellows have better hitboxes (almost delectable priority), and low hit back. Meaning you will, most of the time, hit your opponent and be close enough to follow up with another strike (zomg, did I just imply "combo's" in brawl...? kinda). However, Blues are somewhat more durable, and have longer grab reach than the other pikmin (with exception of whites), and on top of that has nasty kill potential. Durability wasn't a huge factor, more because... pikmin die with 1-2 hits anyways, so the few % doesn't matter a whole lot. I put red at second, because their the powerhouse pikmin. They deal damage, and they send opponents flying in flames. I also felt the need to put purple and white on the same field, but giving a small advantage to purple. Their both carry tossing advantages that the other pikmin don't have. Tossing a purple messes with your opponents approach and puts them in a funk (sets up for attacks as well). Notably, if aimed well they knock ledge grabbers to help your recovery. White deal ****** damage quickly to your opponent. Here's why I put purples above: 1, they carry two tossing advantages. 2, if you throw a purple and hit, you're guaranteed the advantage (and % by doing so), where whites are easily knocked off -an as a result killed- meaning you have another to pluck. The other small advantage I will give purples is their sheer power, but at the expense of decreased range. You hit with a purple and you are pretty much given the power of bowser. However, with whites, you can use their increased range for spacing and for grab attacks (which bring the hurt as well).

That's my thoughts, and I have to go to class now :p. Wish I could've expanded more, but that's all I got.

~Fino

Top Bottom