• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bayonetta "I was wrong" thread

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Did you think Bayo was too mature for Smash? Too dark? Too kinky? Perhaps too awesome?
Did you think she was no match for your most wanted characters?
Tell us how wrong you were.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I didn't think that she was too mature or too dark, and like snake, she fits like a globe. but while i didn't completely discarded her, with cloud I though that sakurai would pursue older characters.

I'm loving her :D

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I always wanted her but it didn't seem like she had much support, so I thought her chances were low. Though I am pleasantly surprised that I was wrong!

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
I wanted her in too but I didn't think she would get in, it seemed like Isaac and King K. Rool had more support. But I couldn't be more happily wrong.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I didn't think Bayonetta was too mature for the game, I was always confident that Sakurai and his team could tone down some of her more mature assets while still keeping her close to the source material, like they did with Snake. But I did still think she was impossible because of her guns. Guns that fire actual bullets have always been a big no-no in Smash, I distinctly remember a pic-of-the-day on Miiverse that revealed the raygun item, and Sakurai specifically mentioned that it had been designed to not look like a real gun. Sure, I thought, Bayonetta has plenty of weapons, she could just use something else. But her guns are too iconic to her character, you just can't have Bayo without her guns.

Well, Sakurai seems pretty intent on breaking every rule he has. I'm growing more convinced he's actually just the physical incarnation of some eldritch chaos god. But, although I wasn't necessarily pulling for her, and I sure didn't vote for her (Rayman for Smash NX!) I'm still happy to see her. She's basically Nintendo's adopted daughter at this point, and I enjoyed the heck out of Bayonetta 2. And hey, if bullets aren't grounds for an automatic "no" anymore, that means I can properly campaign for Elma in the next game.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I really wanted to see her in Smash but I had started to lose hope since it was coming to the end. Not to mention with Cloud being added it seemed like competition from 3rd parties would be too stiff for her.

However I didn't think the maturity of her games was something that would stand against her (I think I said as much in the main Bayonetta thread), I've never thought that. I just thought she had too much competition.

Last edited:

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
It's easy to break rules when you're the one who makes them~
More like it's easy for Sakurai to break rules the fanbase makes for him.

Bayo was actually quite a popular character request around 2012/2013-ish, back when idle speculation was pretty much all we had to go on. Her vocal support died down as time went on, but obviously the silent majority still wanted to see her in. I for one am extremely pleased. I've always loved Bayonetta and she's definitely gonna be one of my mains.

Arti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arti31415
3DS FC
2621-3001-2960
I'm really happy that I was wrong about her, personally

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I hought before the "only one character per 3rd party" fanmade thing was real...

Oh boy, I was so wrong.

KingDooburu

Smash Rookie
I was wrong because I did not even consider her... to busy dreaming about Banjo and Kazooie.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
I thought she wouldn't make it because of maturity reasons. I expected that Sakurai would want to keep her as close to her in game incarnation as possible, and I was wrong in that respect. She doesn't get naked like in her games so so she's not exactly like she was in her original games.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
While I didn't get involved in the phase of wishing for characters at all, I'm glad it's at least a character I can identify.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me it's another Capcom character making it in, so no real big surprises were had other than the first 3 seconds of her appearance.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Do I have to sing the "Stan wrong" song?
Yes you must
I thought she wouldn't make it because of maturity reasons. I expected that Sakurai would want to keep her as close to her in game incarnation as possible, and I was wrong in that respect. She doesn't get naked like in her games so so she's not exactly like she was in her original games.
She does though, it's just hard to notice

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I thought her guns would stop her from being in because Snake never used any of his guns when they included him in Brawl.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
While I didn't get involved in the phase of wishing for characters at all, I'm glad it's at least a character I can identify.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me it's another Capcom character making it in, so no real big surprises were had other than the first 3 seconds of her appearance.
She is not a Capcom character, but instead a SEGA character, surprisingly enough. Or was one at least. Ever since Bayo 2, I don't know where she should be at, since Nintendo helped fund it. At the end of the day, I just call her a Platinum character, to keep things simple.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
I think he meant 3rd party series
Exactly. Ryu is the second Capcom rep. Granted, Bayonetta's a weird category, since the publisher was Sega for the first game and Nintendo for the second, so if you think about it, Bayonetta's more of a second party character.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, after Cloud, I believed that anything was possible. That being said, I did believe she was 2kinky4Sakurai. I believed that he could always tone her down, but I was afraid that he would have dismissed her. I am glad that I was wrong.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Exactly. Ryu is the second Capcom rep. Granted, Bayonetta's a weird category, since the publisher was Sega for the first game and Nintendo for the second, so if you think about it, Bayonetta's more of a second party character.
I was gonna say the same thing(2nd parties are always different from being a full on 1st or 3rd party character)

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
I was gonna say the same thing(2nd parties are always different from being a full on 1st or 3rd party character)
Although, technically Fire Emblem and Pokemon are second party, and they have the most reps along with Mario.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Although, technically Fire Emblem and Pokemon are second party, and they have the most reps along with Mario.
Yeah, but I consider this game the Kid Icarus/Fire Emblem/Mario game staring other people
All 3 were repped the best(and Pit, Sakurai's new son, was in the final trailer and the last 2 character posters)

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Given Hideki Kamiya hates smash and blocks anyone in twitter that even mentions smash, as well as insulting his fans that like it, I figured bayonetta was pretty much impossible.

I guess the other members of platinum games told him where to shove it when sakurai asked.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I wanted Bayo, but I didn't think she could get it. I eventually did cast one vote for her... On the last day, through a proxy to remove the chance of having my other votes possibly discarded/overwritten. I'm not sure how the anti-stuffing measure worked (if there even was one), so it may not have even been counted.

I must say that even though I wanted a few other characters more, I am absolutely ecstatic that Bayonetta was chosen. I hope she keeps "Do you want to touch me?" as a taunt, because that would be the best thing ever to use for a 0-death or a JV.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
After I thought it impossible for Cloud to be in Smash and lightning struck and he was added, I didn't think it'd happen A SECOND TIME IN THE SAME GAME. I figured "okay that's it for unexpected out-of-left-field but highly excitable characters", but no, lightning struck a second time and my wet dream of having the biggest baddest ***** in video games came true and I couldn't be happier to be more wrong in my gaming life.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I thought Bayonetta was off the table because guns, because her demon helpers aren't exactly kid friendly, and also because nobody ever really talked about her in discussions about future DLC...
False on all accounts.

Mr. Gency

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mister-Gency
3DS FC
2552-3708-9647
I always wanted her but it didn't seem like she had much support, so I thought her chances were low. Though I am pleasantly surprised that I was wrong!
As it turns out, there was so much support that Hideki Kamiya blocked everyone who mentioned Smash to him on Twitter.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I thought that having a character from a thoroughly mature series was a bit of a stretch, what with mutilating your enemies in horrific ways and riddling them with bullets, ACTUAL bullets, and her tendency to....."show off". But it seems as if Sakurai just tossed those supposed rules out the window, or at the very least it's not as big a deal as once thought for a game like Smash. So, yeah, I guess I was wrong in thinking she wasn't eligible for Smash. But that's fine, I'm starting to get interested in playing as her anyway.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I didn't think it would happen but Sakurai did it, he put Geno in Smash... All jokes aside, after how hard Nintendo pushed for a sequel (and how well it did) I was surprised she wasn't in the base game and sorta wrote her off. Happy to see I was wrong and even happier to see how well she's turning out!

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I was definitely wrong on :4bayonetta:, I legitimately thought she was too mature for Smash, and honestly I didn't like the thought of her joining at first, but she's growing on me.
Anyways, I want to say congratulations to all the Bayonetta fans and supporters, enjoy your new character ! :)

Last edited:

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva
Just her guns, really. Especially after everything they did to my raygun.

She's definitely giving Samus a run for her money when it comes to hottest lady in Smash... Guess they'll just have to... SETTLE IT

SnarkyCrow

Smash Cadet
NNID
Snarkycrow
Given Hideki Kamiya hates smash and blocks anyone in twitter that even mentions smash, as well as insulting his fans that like it, I figured bayonetta was pretty much impossible.

I guess the other members of platinum games told him where to shove it when sakurai asked.
Huh? When did he say he hated smash? There were too many fans that asked if Bayo would be in the next smash game, he eventually got fed up and started blocking people who ask him about it. Here's the tweet he made when Bayo was announced.

As for my doubts, it was mainly guns and maturity, especially the latter. Kinda worries me how folks will react to her inclusion, but we'll cross those waters when we get there.

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Boy, my girlfriend voted for Bayo, and went nuts when she was announced. XD
I have to admiit, although i absolutely supported her, and wanted her in Smash (after i played both Bayo games with my GF), i was sure her chances were pretty bad. Guns, and "toooo sexy ermahgerd!".

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad i was wrong!!
Most voted character?? Whuuuuuuuut!?

Congrats Cere-
...i mean Bayonetta!!

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Despite Bayonetta being one of mine most-wanted characters--due to her great games, unique personality, and sheer moveset potential--I did have mine doubts. Bayonetta isn't nearly as old as Ryu or Pac-Man. [Shrugs] Then again, neither is Corrin, and here he is. As great as Bayonetta's games were, frankly their sales weren't too high--though that's bound to change with her inclusion in Smash.

Despite her disadvantages, though, I still thought she had a lot going for her. Nintendo pretty much saved the Bayonetta series from extinction, so I could see Platimum returning the favour. Plus, Sakurai and Kamiya, from what I saw from a photo, had a pretty positive relationship--and this wouldn't be the first time a character got in Smash due to a friendship (Snake). Never underestimate the power of buddy-buddy compassion.

In a nutshell: I guess I can say I was right and wrong. Wrong for being slightly pessimistic, and right for supporting her to the very end. And yes, I did vote for her--many times. Sue me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom