• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Alright, you grew on me, come in" thread; Pittoo edition

Maikou

Smash Ace
(and even with more time to work on Dark Pit, he'd still end up similar to Pit)
With all due respect, that's bull****.

At worst with more time, Dark Pit would inherit Pit's old moves, with the Gemini Orbitars replacing the Mirror Shield. At best with more time, Dark Pit could be nearly completely different from Pit. Case in point, one of the movesets I've thought up for DP that a genius like Sakurai should've naturally seen:
Basic attacks: (All unlisted are exactly the same as Pit's, except for slightly greater damage and knockback power)

AAA: Same combo from Uprising. First slash does 2% and flinch, second slash does 2% and flinch, and final slash causes 5% and knockback.

Dash Attack: A jumping kick, not unlike Fox's dash move, with slightly different animation and similar damage % and knockback.

Down Smash: Dark Pit splits the Silver Bow and slashes both blades downward on either side of him. Causes 5% damage and flinching uncharged, fully charged causes 12% damage and appropriate knockback.

Neutral Air: Dark Pit performs an odd variation of Link's Spin Attack and tilts his body slightly, almost to the point of being horizontal, before spinning with one blade held properly in his right hand and the other held in reverse grip in his left. 3% damage per hit and knockback.

Back Air: Dark Pit performs two reverse kicks not unlike Link's Back Air, the first causes 3% damage and flinching, while the second causes 5% damage and knockback.

Forward Air: Dark Pit fires a relatively weak and short-ranged arrow forwards. Causes 5% damage and flinching, lasts about two seconds and flies about as fast as Pit's Brawl arrows.

Down Air: Dark Pit stalls and then falls with a powerful downward kick that can easily be jumped out of to halt. Hitting anywhere on the foot causes a Meteor Smash with 12% damage, anywhere on the leg causes 5% damage and some upwards knockback.

Up Air: Dark Pit fires a relatively weak and short ranged arrow upwards. Same stats as FAir, though does cause knockback.

Specials:

Neutral B: Arrow Shot. Dark Pit draws an arrow on the Silver Bow when the button is pressed, and when released, it flies. Holding longer charges the arrow's power, however that takes a few seconds and can be held even after fully charging. When charging an arrow, Dark Pit controls as though he's holding a Cracker Launcher item from Brawl, though aiming is much faster. Minimal damage is 3% with flinching, maximum damage is 7% with knockback.

Side B: Staff Shot. Dark Pit pulls out the Dark Pit Staff and fires it forwards. Causes 6% damage and knockback, however the animation takes a moment for Dark Pit to twirl his staff before putting it away and pulling the Silver Bow back out, and it cannot be spammed due to a short moment of charging for the next shot (a la the game mechanic from KIU)

Up B: Pandora's Flight. Dark Pit gains unlimited and precise aerial mobility for 3 seconds to recover.

Down B: Tiger Claws. Akin to Marth/Roy/Lucina's side specials, Dark Pit whips out the claws and with button imput, performs the five-strike combo from Kid Icarus Uprising. In the air, the move changes to a quick, single strike. Four strikes cause flinching, last one causes knockback. first jab causes 2%, second causes 2%, third causes 4%, fourth causes 1% and fifth causes 6%. Midair strike causes 5% damage and knockback.

Final Smash: "Take this!" Dark Pit activates the full power of Pandora's Flight and flies to the foreground in the center of the screen. To emulate the flight sections of Kid Icarus Uprising, moving the joystick/Circle Pad will cause the reticle from Uprising to appear and move around, pressing the special attack button will cause Dark Pit to fire arrows. Holding the button causes rapid fire, waiting a few seconds between each shot results in a more powerful attack. After 40 seconds, Dark Pit will yell, "See ya!" and rain his arrows upon the screen, each one doing 1% damage and flinching before the final ones send you flying. All animations look nearly identical to Uprising.

Keep in mind, that was a moveset I had originally made up ON THE SPOT. Just for good measure, here's a second one:
Basic Attacks: (All non listed are the same as Pit's with about 1% more damage from each of them due to Dark Pit's more aggressive nature)

AAA: Same combo from Uprising. First slash does 2% and flinch, second slash does 2% and flinch, and final slash causes 5% and knockback.

Dash Attack: Same move from Uprising, each hit causes 1% damage and flinch, the final hit causing 5% damage and knockback.

Down Smash: a diagonally downwards arrow shot akin to ZSS' down smash, however the arrow actually shoots and when used over a cliff, will function like a ranged attack and fly straight. Causes a small energy burst upon hitting non-players that causes 3% and flinching with no charge, and 7% plus knockback when fully charged. The arrow itself causes 3% when uncharged, and 8% plus knockback when fully charged.

Neutral Air: Dark Pit performs an odd variation of Link's Spin Attack and tilts his body slightly, almost to the point of being horizontal, before spinning with one blade held properly in his right hand and the other held in reverse grip in his left. 3% damage per hit and knockback.

Back Air: Kicks backwards. 5% and knockback

Forward Air: vertically slashes with the Silver Bow similar to Pit's forward Smash in Brawl, though in the air and without the second attack. 7% and knockback.

Down Air: Dark Pit stalls and then falls with a powerful downward kick that can easily be jumped out of to halt. Hitting anywhere on the foot causes a Meteor Smash with 12% damage, anywhere on the leg causes 5% damage and some upwards knockback.

Up Air: performs a back-flip kick similar to Mario's. 7% and upwards knockback.

Specials:

Neutral: Arrow Shot. Quickly fires a charged shot from his bow with the same animation from Kid Icarus Uprising. 10% and knockback, but 3 seconds being unable to use it again afterwards.

Side: Pandora Claws. Dashes forwards and slashes with the Pandora Claws similar to the Kid Icarus Uprising Dash attack, and travels about as far as Falco's side special. Causes 9% damage and knockback, Causes helpless when used midair.

Up: Pandora's Flight. Dark Pit gains unlimited and precise aerial mobility for 3 seconds to recover.

Down: Dark Pit Staff. Fires the staff either forward on the ground or downwards in the air.

Final Smash: Pandora's Powers Unleashed. Dark Pit pulls out all stops, activating his flight and moving completely freely across the screen akin to Super Dragon Yoshi and Super Sonic. In this state he fire arrows with the special button or perfom melee attacks with the attack button, all of which are super powered by Pandora's purple glow. After 30 seconds, this wears off and Dark Pit resumes normal fighting.

(If there's one thing that's difficult with Dark Pit, it's undoubtedly making a working Final Smash that makes sense for the character)

Again, originally made up on the spot. With Sakurai's genius mind, it would be doubtless he could make an even better moveset for Dark Pit than any fan ever could.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
With all due respect, that's bull****.

[excised move set that I didn't read because there's literally nothing that could be in it that would affect my opinion on this]

Again, originally made up on the spot. With Sakurai's genius mind, it would be doubtless he could make an even better moveset for Dark Pit than any fan ever could.
You're right, Sakurai could, but the truth is that he wouldn't.

Evidence: Ganondorf, Toon Link, Falco, Mii Fighters, Wolf, Lucas

With Sakurai's genius mind, he could've made a totally unique and fitting move set for these, especially Ganondorf. He just chose not to. All the speculating about how characters could've been revamped to be more unique had valid things Sakurai could've done, but in the end he did none of them, except for using a sword to extend the range on one of Ganondorf's customs.

What are the chances Dark Pit would ever be more unique than a character like Falco? Pretty close to zero if you ask me. The very best he could hope for is to be closer to Wolf than Falco. Dark Pit gives him an excuse to reuse work already done on Pit, and he'd take that excuse immediately, because that would enable him to make more characters. Really, the only way Dark Pit would be a character in the first place is by being at least a semi-clone.

Yes, he could have completely different moves. So could all the other characters that deserve better, more unique, cooler, more fitting moves, but don't. Including, you know, ones that aren't canonically clones of other characters.

Probably the fans should be blamed at least partly. Most of the fans prefer more characters over getting more uniqueness and such. The number of people who were hoping for, or even expecting, a 60 character roster was pretty ridiculous. I knew it would never happen. Personally, the roster is big enough for me. Ideally I would just replace the clones with a couple unique fighters and it'd be practically perfect. Even so, I would've preferred a revamped and more canonical Ganondorf even if it meant a smaller roster. You'd prefer a more unique Dark Pit - but a bigger roster is always going to win when he can just make a low effort clone instead, especially when the character is canonically a clone, and literally originated as a palette swap, and therefore so justifiable to make a clone.

"With all due respect", but what's actually bull**** is to think that Dark Pit would ever be a fully unique fighter.

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
He's the only character I haven't played yet, and probably won't play him ever lol. :awesome:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I've only played as him in Classic Mode. He's an alright guy despite being a rip-off of Pit.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
When he was mentioned in the leak I was like "hahaha yeah right like they would be THAT silly".

Then when I saw him appear in a stream I formed a unique opinion of him. Like, he is so dumb that it went out of the boundaries of stupidity and did a u-turn into the boundaries of genius. He's like Bone Claws Wolverine from MVC2: Lovably bad.

Last edited:

Spirst

I don't care for the character much but I find his taunts to be really great. The Utaunt alone is enough to make me a little more impartial towards his inclusion.

Top Bottom