• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 3DS Version experience and Wii U Version experience.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Let me try to speak more clearly. You do not have to explain why you the prices are different. You can talk until you're blue in the face about how you'd justify separate price points and still will not effect my point. Let's set up a scenario. Bob just got a Wii u for his birthday and he goes out and buys ssb4. Oh no! Ice climbers has been his main since melee and he would like to use them again but they're not on his version. He's go online to download them, oh wait! They're only available on the 3DS version. Unlike if they were available for download or even the preferred scenario, available on the Wii u version by default, he has to buy the game again to play as them. See right now it doesn't matter why the 3DS version is $40 it just matters that Bob has to pay $40 to play as ice climbers. Yes the 3DS version will have less features than the WIIu version in this scenario but that doesn't change that he has to pay $40 to play as ice climbers. The 3DS isn't just a companion game in this case it is necessary to enjoy ssb4 in it's entirety or at least the game's main attraction in it's entirety (the multiplayer). $100=full character roster even though the 3DS version has less features I have to invest in it to play as all the characters, the reason most people buy smash bros. While the characters themselves are a snall part they are also the main draw. I guarantee you smash wouldn't be as successful without the mascots.

Also you just said unlock chars with street pass not unlock wiiou only chars with streetpass so that's on you. Now on to why that wouldn't work you'd need to be in a city filled with people who own both versions of the game, wgo transferred the characters over, and that carry their 3DS everywhere.
Well if I had to accept your point, I guess this new idea would work:

The Wii U Version has all the content Brawl had, no exclusives at all, both versions have the same roster, but the 3DS Version has exclusive trophies and maybe exclusive custom clothes (which are both optional and irrelevant to the game anyways). The 3DS version is basically your trainer app, it teaches you all the tricks and skills how to master a character and a themed story mode for each character. It's a more personalized version of Super Smash Bros, as Sakurai stated what he want the 3DS version to be. But for the $40 price, it's gotta have less features. It's basically 3DS on the go, and then going home to play the Wii U version on beautiful HD or going to a tournament you've been training for on the 3DS version, I guess that works. The problem with this idea, is that we won't have a large roster we always wanted, Sakurai stated 50 characters in one version is too much, which worries me that many characters will be cut for some new characters. Thats why there were exclusives for each version so we could look at the fact we can transfer characters and that we have actually have 60 characters total.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Also, I only have a 3DS, so wouldn't that limit me to the fun unless I buy a Wii-U and the game again, sounds like Skylanders to me making as much money as they can, when it is pretty much useless. I actually may be the only one who wants a port or at least exactly the same characters, maybe with some diverse modes between systems, like different adventure modes. We need to be able to have all the characters on each system, if not, to me it would be a rip off. The only way I can see this is with DLC characters exclusive to that system but can transfer. Sure it can be a personnel exp. on the 3DS but please don't leave out any characters.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Jusr gotta wait and see...but i totally agree...i dont even wanna get a 3DS no more...i really dont wanna pay for one but i feel like i have to...for X & Y/Metroid & Smash...

I havent even gotta Wii U yet...and i gotta bloody get a Pro pad ontop of all that...way to much money...i aint got...

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
http://web.archive.org/web/20120229181006/http://andriasang.com/comw97/iwata_asks_smash_bros/
Making a portable version had its appeal for him, as they'd be able to do a number of new things. At the same time, there would be limits, as they'd be handicapped in some areas when it comes to offering the usual enjoyment areas of Smash Bros.

Specifically, Sakurai feels that a portable system makes the game a more "individual" experience in that, compared to a console, it's easier to make players attached to the data that they've built up and collected. The fact that you're carrying the hardware with you makes for a more personal experience.

The difficulty here is that the current Smash Bros. games haven't relied on rewards, collecting money or raising your character's level. There's no element of gaining experience to make your character stronger, Iwata noted.

Adding the notion of experience would pose a dilmena, explained Sakurai, as there are some players who would get into such a game, while others would not like it. Iwata added that placing a focus on experience would also make the game lose its instant play quality.

What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone. He feels it could be nice if they can make the "personal" portable space and the stadium-like "public" console space mesh together.

Iwata summed it the basic idea nicely: players would spend time on the 3DS version, building up their character and collecting stuff, then show off their skills on the Wii U version.
The way it sounds to me it seems SSB4 will be similar to the relationship of Poke'mon R/B/Y & Poke'mon Stadium or of Mario Tennis/Golf on GBC/N64. The console has "stock" versions of characters, with pre-set skills & attributes. In contrast the handheld version of the same character can level up & improve his attributes or learn new skills.

For how I see this working out in SSB4 mechincally let's use Mario as as example. Say stock Mario has Mario Tornado as his down B special. On 3DS Mario starts with the tornado but when he reaches level 5 he learns FLUDD which can replace it. The player now has a choice in which of the 2 d-B moves to keep since both MT & FLUDD have different purposes (assuming FLUDD is actually made viable this time of course). Later on Mario learns Iceball, less damaging than Fireball but can slow an opponent momentarily. Or Wing Cap, which has greater recovery than Super Jump Punch but deals no damage.

At max level, 3DS Mario would have learn about a dozen specials but can still only have 4 in battle, thus the player must decide on a "moveset loadout" to go with. This means each player has his/her own personal customized Mario. If 2 players face off in an online match & both choose to play Mario, it wouldn't be a mirror match because of their different builds. Perhaps Player 1 went with an aggressive offense-based build (fireball, tornado, jump punch) whilst Player 2 opted for a more defensive loadout (iceball, FLUDD, Wing Cap). Forums such as Smashboards would debate what kind of build is the optimal for Mario, analyzing the advantages, disadvantages, & alternate strategies each possible build provides.

Now imagine this happening for EVERY character in the game: Link choosing between bombs or bombchus, speedy normal arrows or powerful fire arrows. Pit having access to many of the weapons from KIU, Samus having the different beams of the Metroid series (Wave can hit multiple players by passing through one to another, Imperialist as a sniper weapon), Yoshi finally using his tongue as a recovery instead of tossing eggs, Kirby would have more of the special powers of his series or maybe summoning of helpers as part of his new moves. Fox playing the same as before or having a SF Adventures based set. Players giving clone characters & the originals different loadouts just for the sake of differentiating them. The whole game changes significantly before even getting to the subject of newcomers, the veterans become just as exciting to discuss because of the new ways they can be played.

& then there's the very possible return of passive stats. Remember how you could augment characters with different bonuses in the story mode but it didn't apply to multiplayer? Yeah, I see that changing in the next game. Hell Sakurai already made them matter to multiplayer in Kid Icarus Uprising:

Players can & have spent a lot of time farming for stronger weapons just to get an edge in that game's multiplayer. Depending on how it's implemented in SSB4 (they may not use stickers again) players may spend a lot of time customizing particular characters with particular bonuses, Bowser with speed boosts, Mewtwo with knockback resists or Pichu with electric resistance for example.

Sakurai interview again said:
Closing off the little section offering vague hints about the new Smash Bros. games, Sakurai said that his aim with the 3DS version is to offer players a slightly different experience from conventional Smash Bros. games. He believes that there is merit in having skilled and unskilled players play together, so one emphasis will be on elements of players helping one-another.
Customize-able movesets & passive stats could 2 ways that Sakurai hopes to narrow the gap between the skilled & unskilled, a lesser skilled player could invest his time in grinding/farming instead of practicing. Of course the skilled could still do that as well but it's a theory.

"But what if I don't want any of that? & where does the Wii U version fit into this?"

That's the beauty of it all. Players who wish to stick to "classic" SSB can just stick to the Wii U version & ignore all that leveling nonsense. Same core game, more characters, better graphics, everything the fanbase pretty much wants. However players who own both copies can upload their custom crew to the Wii U & use them in both local & online matches. Meaning that Wii U-only owners are pretty much screwed if they try to compete online, which is basically the incentive for "encouraging" more people to double-dip & give Nintendo more money.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Wow...this is like my biggest fear imo seriously at most all 3DS Smash should do is

Transfer stages/trophys/music/videos and all that jazz just please for the love of god no exclusive characters or half baked rosters...it would be so so so bad...

Plus if your a competetive player but dont have a 3DS then you will lose to peepz online with OP overused custom loadouts...

Seriously man..this could be the #1 worse direct Smash has taken..way worse than tripping or anything brawl invented...

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Remember tough Sakurai only said SLIGHTLY different experiences, so no version exclusive characters, no unfair upgrading to characters on one system, by slightly, he probably means a different story mode and events, and some other barely noticeable details like music and stages. Sorry if I'm coming off rude, but this seems like a risk not taking for Nintendo's part.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Remember tough Sakurai only said SLIGHTLY different experiences, so no version exclusive characters, no unfair upgrading to characters on one system, by slightly, he probably means a different story mode and events, and some other barely noticeable details like music and stages. Sorry if I'm coming off rude, but this seems like a risk not taking for Nintendo's part.
I can not fathom how much i hope your right...it dont seem like a level of scum that Nintendo would stoop to anyway but knowing how games are these days and how money hungry devs are etc: no doubt i still think its a very real possibility...

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The most difference I want to see in 3DS/Wii-U different game idea, is most likely stages, like maybe the 3DS version only has a Fire Emblem Awakening place, while the Wii-U only has a Pikmin 3 place, most likely the stage exclusives would be if that game is exclusive, but nothing to do with characters.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
EDIT: Also dunno if you lot know already and wasent really sure were to post this but a Nintendo Direct for Europe has been announced for this Wednesday coming up reguarding the 3DS dunno what its about really or if any news on WiiU will be there...doubt it i know there saving the big guns for E3.

Link is below:

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/04/nintendo-announces-a-3ds-nintendo-direct-this-wednesday/

The most difference I want to see in 3DS/Wii-U different game idea, is most likely stages, like maybe the 3DS version only has a Fire Emblem Awakening place, while the Wii-U only has a Pikmin 3 place, most likely the stage exclusives would be if that game is exclusive, but nothing to do with characters.
Couldnt agree more.
Just gotta wait and see man..hopefully at E3 they will announce a DoJo were we will be getting news more frequently.

Sakurai did state there will be more than just screenshots shown and that the 3DS & WiiU version will be shown.

Screenshots
Trailer
Talking info

Will be enough and i will be happy this is the basic i expect

A bonus would be a DoJo Site Up and ready and possibly a Release date..not too fussed about the Release date reveal as peepz would imagine because i bet if they do announce one it will be delayedanyway...

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Wow...this is like my biggest fear imo seriously at most all 3DS Smash should do is

Transfer stages/trophys/music/videos and all that jazz just please for the love of god no exclusive characters or half baked rosters...it would be so so so bad...

Plus if your a competetive player but dont have a 3DS then you will lose to peepz online with OP overused custom loadouts...

Seriously man..this could be the #1 worse direct Smash has taken..way worse than tripping or anything brawl invented...
The interview is almost 2 years old & about a year before he began development, he could have changed his mind once his actually had to work on it.

However, having played both Dissidia games, I definitely see how how RPG elements help in giving a fighting game a more extensive single player component. & let's face it, the portable gaming demographic in Japan would EAT. IT. UP.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
RPG mechanics on the 3DS version would be a good idea, as it would add depth to a single player mode. I think something inspired on Kid Icarus: Uprising's weapon fusions and Brawl's stickers could work somehow.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Maybe the 3DS Version could teach you lessons, if you succeed, you gain experience to get a rank.
The better you play in Smash 3DS, the better experience you get. Maybe you could also learn about hitboxes.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Maybe the 3DS Version could teach you lessons, if you succeed, you gain experience to get a rank.
The better you play in Smash 3DS, the better experience you get. Maybe you could also learn about hitboxes.
If the game has a bit of focus towards competitive play (which I'm seeing in Mario Kart 7 and Mario Golf: World Tour with the online ranking system), then it's possible.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Maybe there could be an exclusive achievement system only on the 3DS version, to make the 3DS version a rewarding experience while making the Wii U version the casual experience.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Maybe there could be an exclusive achievement system only on the 3DS version, to make the 3DS version a rewarding experience while making the Wii U version the casual experience.
Actually there is an achievement system of sorts in Melee and Brawl already: the Notices, for example, those which congratulate you for playing x number of VS. matches.

I would like to see that expanded.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
i gotta feeling that the 3DS version is gonna be more competetive than the WiiU versionni aint gonna lie...

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I'm actually hoping that both versions will be competitive. This way, some one who buys one version won't feel tempted to get another version.

Angiance

Smash Lord
The focus should really go towards the Wii U, because a fully polished fighter is what any smasher here wants; scrap the 3DS smash idea and focus on Smash 4, allow it to be so good that opening the case causes the heavens to split open; it'll be so good that it will cause a nuclear explosion in the player's pants!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
The focus should really go towards the Wii U, because a fully polished fighter is what any smasher here wants; scrap the 3DS smash idea and focus on Smash 4, allow it to be so good that opening the case causes the heavens to split open; it'll be so good that it will cause a nuclear explosion in the player's pants!
One of no no ''THE'' best post i have seen since i joined here agree with you more than anything.

Im hoping the trailer at this years E3 does similar stuff to my groin area.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I feel like each version should maximize its potential. I don't want to feel tempted to get the Wii U version because more work was put into it.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I feel like each version should maximize its potential. I don't want to feel tempted to get the Wii U version because more work was put into it.
I feel the same but vice verse for the 3DS i really dont wanna get one..but i have to anyway for X & Y....(-_-)

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I was more interested in the idea of a 3DS Smash over a Wii 2 Smash before they even announced them. There just seems to be more potential for doing something new with the series on a portable. Wii U version already strikes me as same old same old.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
He doesn't provide a single source... although I want to believe whatever he said.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Another rumor? Guess those rumors can keep us entertained while we wait for the real deal...

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I actually hope that this is true. For some reason, many people think that the 3DS version will be weak or not as good as the Wii U one.

Top Bottom