• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That wasn't supposed to happen! Online goofs

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
We all make mistakes, so here's the place to let everyone know.

I just had two matches that were pretty hilarious on my part, games I could've easily won but I decided "I'm going to mess up". First was a game against a Jigglepuff where I failed to punish three separate rests, by that point I knew a pretty much deserved to lose. It also stands out as a message to all Dedede mains: Jet Hammer exists! Don't forget about it and end up sourspotting a read!

The second was as Bowser where I went up against a pretty good G&W, I could've easily won the match with a well timed down tilt....only to for some reason decide that a ground Bowser Bomb was a good idea. Needless to say he punished me hard and won the game.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
A couple of days ago, I was playing an Ike player while using Ganondorf. We were both on our last stock when I hit him with an aerial down b, which rebounded him off the stage and caused him to cross the top blast line; however, that was at the edge of the stage, so I accidentally launched myself off the stage and caused myself to SD right before I was about to win.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Good mistake: I was going to make a combo on a Lucina and made the Knee of Justice.
Bad mistake: In For Glory FFA, I've suicided three times in a row using rest. Ironically enough, I won that battle.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Too many mistakes to remember, but a notable one was breaking my opponent's shield with Marth's Shield Breaker, then missing 2 f-smash tippers right next to him.

I'm pretty sure I lost. :)

Last edited:

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158
This use to happen all the time. With Shulk I would fast fall after a n-air close to ledge, and fall down and by the time I realized I wasn't on stage, I'd already lost the stock. Good times. Then I would screw myself up sometimes trying to d-air off stage and fast fall to my doom.

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I will sometimes go for a Quick Draw recovery and accidentally input an Aether, taking both myself and my opponent (who was giving chase) out at the same time. Usually happens when I'm on my last stock too. I chuckle every time it happens.

Terrabell

Smash Cadet
I fully admit to side b'ing off the stage as shulk and little mac :(

Also guilty of getting side B instead of recovery a lot too.

EDIT: uuuhhhhhh wtf is up with the avatars?

Last edited:

[OP] OctoPad

Smash Rookie
NNID
SmasherP83
I was facing a DeDeDe as Link and we were both on our last stock so I threw the bomb under me and it hit him but I swear I did a dair that came out as a nair and it killed....The whole day the only sentence repeated in my mind "Link's nair can kill..."

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
using sheiks grenade while off the ledge, it is the number one killer of most sheik players.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I can't count how many times I've died by accidentally hitting Wario's bike on the ledge while trying to recover.

NintendoReaper

Smash Rookie
NNID
NReaper
3DS FC
0834-2145-7839
Like Nosocomialis said, Sheiks side B has killed me more times than I can count when I'm trying to down B the opposite direction.

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
Getting windbox'd or FLUDD'd off the stage when charging the Donkey Punch... For the few times it happened it was funny though. One other mistakes i've seen is a Jigglypuff that put me to sleep next to the ledge so i could watch him whiff his rest and fall off the stage

GreatSogeking

Smash Rookie
Side-B-ing off the ledge... I'm way too guilty of accidentally doing it with Mac and Sheik.

Doing a down aerial that dives and missing the stage because it's off-screen is also something I'm guilty of. When it happens I do the same move on respawn to try and get my opponent to understand I done goofed.

Last edited:

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
I was playing as Donkey Kong and after I took my opponents first stock, I started to charge my neutral B in the air.

Only to fall off the stage and die because I noticed that I fell way too late, and its DK.

It didn't mess me up to bad as I took the first stock very convincingly.

Only to hand the win to my opponent by SD'ing the exact same way a 2nd time.

Last edited:

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Fox side-B's under the stage. Every time I miss the ledge, the stock is pretty much gone. Of course, lag does not help, but it happens way too much - need to practice getting it right.

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
I hate to admit it, but I've side-B'd off the stage with Little Mac because I was trying to be fancy or whatever... It backfired terribly.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
As Link, pulled out the bow when falling offstage, unfortunately lag didn't let me fix the mistake :/

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
As Link, pulled out the bow when falling offstage, unfortunately lag didn't let me fix the mistake :/
That's another thing. I really hate the lag sometimes because you could have the opportunity to quickly fix your mistake but lag just takes over and screws you over.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
Bad goofs: Accidentally side-b-ing off the stage with Meta Knight.
Good goofs: Accidentally footstooling someone off stage. I just pretend I meant to do that.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
As Rosalina, there were times when I try to recover with her Launch Star where I either ended up going under the stage or face in the wrong direction from where I wanted to go (I still need some work on the angling).

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Never try to rest Larry...

Last edited:

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
I killed myself using backslash when I ment to use air slash.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I once accidentally got a PKT2 that won me the match.
From an outside perspective, it probably looked really pro.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Almost every time I try offstage shenanigans on a bad day as Doc Mario. :lick: It's not a bad idea per se, but... So many SDs. HNNNG. If I can't offstage as Doc, then I know it's a bad day. xD

Also, recovery fails on flat bottomed stages are another big one. Getting trapped under that ledge is a killer to me for some reason. Need to work on aiming for the ledge more. lol

On the flipside, I once killed a Little Mac by discarding a Levin Sword backwards towards the ledge from under the stage, hitting him with it (He was onstage.) so he slipped off, and then footstooling him on accident. That was pre current patch though. So mad I lost that replay. :dizzy:

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
I might occasionally...

Y'know

FlareBlitz to my death

Because Y'know reasons

:006:
This. I always throw out Flare Blitz instead of a sliding Rock Smash or reverse Flamethrower when lag is noticeable. Oftentimes, it's the death of me.

I also happen to play with my controller slanted (I like to lay on my side and back when I play), so if I were to press down or up, I'll get a left or right, depending on how lazy I am during that time. This also is the death of me, especially when trying to recover with characters like Dr. Mario.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I had more than a few of these when doing a mirror marathon with my friend. In the Captain Falcon ditto, I was well on my way to taking his last stock. I go in for the knee. I just miss him, and he tries to recover with Up B, but accidentally catches me and stage spikes me.

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
This. I always throw out Flare Blitz instead of a sliding Rock Smash or reverse Flamethrower when lag is noticeable. Oftentimes, it's the death of me.

I also happen to play with my controller slanted (I like to lay on my side and back when I play), so if I were to press down or up, I'll get a left or right, depending on how lazy I am during that time. This also is the death of me, especially when trying to recover with characters like Dr. Mario.
This. My Charizard problems in a nutshell. And every time it happens it seems it's a stage without walls to flare blitz back into and try to make up the horizontal distance.

I've had several cases of trying to be stylish and reverse egg lay with Yoshi when coming from a high recovery (meaning no DJ) and cancel on the edge...only to miss the ledge and see Yoshi fall hopelessly past egg toss recovery distance before I get another frame of animation.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I meant to jump as Dark Pit and use my bow at the very start of the match, but instead I ended up using my up-b off the edge...
The other guy was nice enough to SD as well, so I was fine with it.

Also wrongly teleporting with Zelda. It happens to all Zelda's.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
One day I tried to recover with Greninja. I did a Shadow Sneak instead of Hydro Pump and couldn't come back.
I stopped using Greninja that day.

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
Forgetting which Mega Man I am throwing myself off a cliff.
My solution was to standardize my choice of character color.

...and then some FG scrub decided he was going to "show me up" by picking my character AND my color. Not my best match.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Oh wow, I'm a goldmine for this when I try to use Link. Boomerang instead of Spin Attack, Zair in the wrong direction, whiff a dair and forget how long it stays out, something about this character makes me do the dumbest things when trying to grab the edge.

I guess I should be glad I play with customs off, or I'd have my own meteor bombs killing me too.

D

Deleted member

These are sad and hilarious:
-I was about to win a match as Shulk against Ganondorf; all I needed to do was recover back onto the stage. However, Shulk didn't want to win as he did a Back Slash instead of an Air Slash...
-Oh dear god, I feel embarrassed to admit this. I was Little Mac and I had a KO Punch ready. As I was rushing in, and planned to stop and then use the move, I... Jolt Haymakered off the stage. I did make a comeback and won the match, however.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I can't explain how angry I was when this happened earlier today:

I was on 2v2 FG and one of my opponents was an annoying Captain Falcon that would taunt after every kill. It was the end of the match and he had high percent damage, so of course this amazingly good Captain Falcon decided to do nothing but roll for the last twenty seconds.

Five seconds left, the Captain Falcon jumps off the ledge so no one can hit him. "Hey I know, I'll kill him with my D-air so he'll hit the side of the stage and die" I thought to myself (I was Wario). I go in for the kill and accidently do my N-air and then down so I fast fall downwards. I tried to recover but it was too late: I killed myself. If I had done that 0.1 seconds earlier, I'd still be alive.

The worst part was with the results: the two other players had 0 points,while I had -1 points and the Captain Falcon had +1 points as if he killed me. If you want to see it, search Wario on 2v2 FG on Luigi's mansion with the new view feature. Since everyone was on the results screen for a while, I'm guessing one of them uploaded it for you to enjoy.

TerraSky

Super Smash Goat
NNID
TarrenSky
3DS FC
0791-4190-6031
Switch FC
SW-8134-0988-3694
These are sad and hilarious:
-I was about to win a match as Shulk against Ganondorf; all I needed to do was recover back onto the stage. However, Shulk didn't want to win as he did a Back Slash instead of an Air Slash...
I guess Shulk wasn't really feeling it! *gets Falcon Punched*

Jokes aside, I often make errors in recovering, considering one of my mains, Charizard, has a mediocre vertical recovery, and my other main, Ness, has, well... PK Thunder...

So often matches for me would be compromised by a delayed button press or a jerk of the circle pad. But I must admit, I have Flare Blitzed off the edge a few times, usually because of greed or a missed input. Using Dragon Rush doesn't make getting back easier... :nervous:

Gamin'Snow

Smash Rookie
NNID
Snowcracker
Ohhh boy... the amount of times I've decided to Drill Rush off the edge instead of using Mach Tornado or Dimensional Cape is PAINFUL to mention. Makes me wish the WiiU analog stick had ridges like the Gamecube. I swear it happens every other match or so. I mean, I usually manage to comeback anyway, but it has still cost me so many matches that I otherwise would've won no problem ._.
I've also had a couple times where instead of using the Clown Kart and then going into UpB as Bowser Jr to recover, I end up spinning out and killing myself.

Last edited:

Alga

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yostud
Din's fire instead of Farore's wind when recovering.. Has happend alot more than i want to admit.
Also when im going for a Farore's elevator, didn't get the hit on the first teleport, triy to teleport to the side to safety.. teleports offstage instead....

Shakes

Smash Rookie
I can't count how many I've had Shadow Sneak go off instead of Hydro Pump when trying to recover!!!

It's also hilarious and embarrassing when you get lag at the very moment you input an attack or charge something. You see it, you see the punish coming to you for something that SHOULD have been fast enough. Or visa versa, you see something coming but the frames won't allow for a response in time. All this in slow motion as the lag takes its toll.

I wish I could have slow opera music play in these moments.

Top Bottom