• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That Rocketbarrel Tho!

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
(Please keep in mind that I'm not a competitive player, so I may be a bit off here please feel free to correct me.)

Has anyone else noticed how massively buffed Diddy's Rocketbarrels are? It has much better recovery and control than in Brawl/PM and I'm wondering if anyone has come up with any new shenanigans with it?

So far, I've been able to actively use it for more than just recovery, and at higher percents even score KOs. It feels like it's a much more versatile tool than before.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
I honestly thing Diddy's recovers is his worst asset/ biggest deal breaker. It's incredibly punishable, you fall as you charge, you don't go as far un-charged as in Brawl... Recovering low is basically suicide against any character who can go deep, which is a lot more characters than ever before.

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
I honestly thing Diddy's recovers is his worst asset/ biggest deal breaker. It's incredibly punishable, you fall as you charge, you don't go as far un-charged as in Brawl... Recovering low is basically suicide against any character who can go deep, which is a lot more characters than ever before.
I generally never need to use Rocket Barrel to recover. Monkey Flip combined with wall cling covers more than enough distance and is a lot safer anyway.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
this thread is about rocketbarrels, not upair or sideb.

stay true to the :190:

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
LOLWAT

Diddy's recovery is incredible. Not only does it have relatively low landing lag, you can also mix people who who try to punish with the explosion, which is a kill move.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
LOLWAT

Diddy's recovery is incredible. Not only does it have relatively low landing lag, you can also mix people who who try to punish with the explosion, which is a kill move.
If the barrels get knocked off you the time between when you get hit and when you can upB again in incredibly long. Punishing that recovering is super easy. Peach can knock off your barrels with her Turnips. Sweet Spotting is incredibly risky. If you miss or the game decides it doesn't like you, you are dead. Not to mention the charge time makes your recovery angle incredibly telegraphed.

Seriously, thank god for Monkey Flip/ Kick. Otherwise Diddy would be complete trash off stage.

Lex Jewthor

Smash Apprentice
Right, but sometimes you want to recover low IMO. Against Sheik you might want to recover low to avoid Bouncing Fish.
Monkey flip and wall cling still allows you to recover low on stages with walls. On stages WITHOUT walls, ESPECIALLY stage with slanted bottoms (Battlefield, FD, Ferox), you can up B straight up UNDER the stage, and it will ride along the slant without exploding.

In order to explode, you need to either hit a wall at a 90 degree angle, OR some weird thing with the end of his recover that sometimes explodes (See: Do a fast up B under one of the battlefield platforms, you'll explode. Same if you drop off the edge then quickly up B and hover above the stage.)

What I hate about Diddy's recovery is the latter. The spontaneous explosions when you SHOULD have just ledge grabbed but the game decided Nopelol.

Last edited:

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Monkey flip and wall cling still allows you to recover low on stages with walls. On stages WITHOUT walls, ESPECIALLY stage with slanted bottoms (Battlefield, FD, Ferox), you can up B straight up UNDER the stage, and it will ride along the slant without exploding.

In order to explode, you need to either hit a wall at a 90 degree angle, OR some weird thing with the end of his recover that sometimes explodes (See: Do a fast up B under one of the battlefield platforms, you'll explode. Same if you drop off the edge then quickly up B and hover above the stage.)

What I hate about Diddy's recovery is the latter. The spontaneous explosions when you SHOULD have just ledge grabbed but the game decided Nopelol.
Sometimes I'll swear I've sweet spotted and I'm just dead. Traveling straight up can be pretty hard though. Item characters can just drop down and toss out their items and you're basically dead. I think the best policy is just to avoid low recoveries whenever possible.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
This move is insane. It's not overpowered or anything (gimping weaknesses noted), it's just useful and super wacky. I just wish I could stop killing myself when trying to sweetspot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom