• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That Pink *******.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Ok boys, time to pull out that green, pointed thinking cap again.

I've been finding the Link's worst character matchup by far for now is Kirby. Maybe it's just me, but when I run into a person who knows how to use Kirby against Link, it's not even close to being called a fair fight. Once you get grabbed, kiss your stock goodbye if they know what to do.

The problem is that the Kirbys can Grab > Fthrow > Uair > Fthrow > Uair > Fthrow > Uair > wash rinse and repeat until Link is off the stage and then proceed to **** Link with Dair, which with Link's recovery, is virtually an instant KO.

The ONLY countermeasure I have against these Kirby users so far is to just run away and butter up the %'s with projectiles the entire match. It's ********.

Anyone here know what we should do about this? Hopefully someone's found a better way to deal with it than I have.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
No dur Sherlock. But this is Brawl, which means you're prone grabbed with how the defensive game is.

Looking for somewhat more useful ideas than that...

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
There's some real advice. More projectiles isn't an option with how many I'm already using against the puff to just stay away.

I haven't tried much aerial fighting. Good suggestion, I'll try that next time. Might be tough though.

A grab instead of a dash attack sounds nice, but I'm not too keen on the idea of them spotdodging instead of shielding in that circumstance.

Thanks.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
Uh.
Lol.
Don't get grabbed IS the best advice.

If you're getting grabbed all the time, you're doing something wrong.
Try spacing yourself better.
Just using projectiles to wrack up % isn't exactly their best use, you know.
"I have a bomb in my hand. ... ... ...Let's drop it while jumping backwards and do ___ because Kirby is going to try to do ____ when he sees the bomb." is better than "I have a bomb in my hand, lets throw it to do damage!!"

-Nox`

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
hold a bomb to fsmash. If they grab you the combo is broken by bomb. They'll do something else and you can try to take advantage of the non immediate ****.

Deva

Smash Lord
OMG guys, stop sucking against Kirby. Just space, DI, and pull a bomb and throw a rang while recovering.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Uh.
Lol.
Don't get grabbed IS the best advice.

If you're getting grabbed all the time, you're doing something wrong.
Try spacing yourself better.
Just using projectiles to wrack up % isn't exactly their best use, you know.
"I have a bomb in my hand. ... ... ...Let's drop it while jumping backwards and do ___ because Kirby is going to try to do ____ when he sees the bomb." is better than "I have a bomb in my hand, lets throw it to do damage!!"

-Nox`
Yeah yeah yeah, use projectiles to set crap up. I don't quite think you know that I know what I'm doing with Link... whatever. And don't get grabbed is lousy advice. D= That's like advising someone to use X instead of Y to jump... or at least to me it is.

Seriously, Deva, get some vs T!mmy vids up like BooM said.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
WTF I can't get more than 2 Fthrow -> Uair reps in on Link. It's not like he can take you across FD with it... O_o Am I missing something?

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
Yeah yeah yeah, use projectiles to set crap up. I don't quite think you know that I know what I'm doing with Link... whatever. And don't get grabbed is lousy advice. D= That's like advising someone to use X instead of Y to jump... or at least to me it is.

Seriously, Deva, get some vs T!mmy vids up like BooM said.
I don't quite think you know that I know more about Link than almost anyone here. You don't have to be pro with a character to understand them inside and out.

Don't get grabbed is a TL;DR version of any explanation anyone would give you.

Kirby's grab range is far too small for anything you could space yourself with.
Use that to your advantage.
The match doesn't start off with you in Kirby's hands, and thus you should keep it that way.
And you, who apparently knows what you're doing with Link, should, as everyone else said, keep a bomb in your hand at all times.

If you know Kirby is going for a grab, then you should know how to avoid it if you're so knowledgeable about Link.

WTF I can't get more than 2 Fthrow -> Uair reps in on Link. It's not like he can take you across FD with it... O_o Am I missing something?
The topic creator can't DI.
:'[

-Nox`

neji32

Smash Lord
I fight kirbys alot, i thought they can only do it twice before your able to escape.

If not there is a risky way to get out that you might be able to do. Try Up B to escape and Di towards the ledge. But i say again, this is risky

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
you probably should use link's Zair for spacing purposes and try to DAC or QAC hopefully it will surprise them try to mix it up a lil y'know.

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
you should probably use Zair to space and give more breathing space or use DAC and QAC to rack uo damage. Try to predict what they might do and mix your gameplan up too.

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
use his Zairffor spacing to get some breathing room and also use DAC and QAC to set them up for combos that will hopefully allow to win the match.

Deva

Smash Lord
^^
edit, not tripple post XD. kthx

So I'm going to the OMG this summer. I'll record against T!mmy's Kirby then. But Blubba, didn't you say you were in Oregon? Look up T!mmy. He can't live more than 2 hours away from you. it'd be good practice.

D

Deleted member

this is how kirby plays

0%-40% gonzo grab combo

40%-80% can't do much except for tilt, fair, and push you to the stage, this is where link does have a chance to have a come back

90% -100% fsmash, you HAVE to DI this move perfectly or you WILL die

120% this is when upsmash kills

Deva is right in the fact that you have to have perfect DI and perfectly spaced jabs at this point, zair does nothing for you though because they will just duck it or mid air dodge it

other tips:

dont grab unless you know 100% you'll connect
know how far the up b travels and keep your second jump
unless you are both in the air, dmash and fsmash should be your kill moves

most of all, dont get mad when you get gimped at 20%

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
dsmash is a kill move? Man, I've only used it as a throw-away move, I can never seem to KO anyone with Link's dsmash UNLESS it's fully charged (no decay).

The thing is, it's such a nice sweep move oos that I can't stand waiting until ~100% to use it.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
Check the FAQ thread somewhere, they rank each character's kill move. Dsmash is like right after dair which is 1st.

Top Bottom