• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thankful for Pits recovery(upB)

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
yeah Pits glaring weakness. the thorn in his side. its whats keeping pit from reaching top tier right? no i certainly dont think so. I dont know about you but Pit hardly actually gets Gimped anyway by UpB. so your probably saying to yourself "why do u defend his upB wouldnt it be better if it didnt expire after 1 hit?" Yes it would certainly be better and it would make his recovery insanely good. But thats not the point. The point is Because of Pits "easy" to gimp UpB many people opt to go for it. In Theory Pits UpB should never be hit. Pits Mobility in the air using wings greatly outclasses the majority of the cast minus projectiles. But despite this many poor fools decide to jump off the edge only to fail an "easy" edgeguard. this is Pits most advantageous position when Pit has grabbed on to the edge after thwarting an edgegaurd and the edgeguarder is now off the map. You see Pit was MADE to be an edgeguarder. hes got a Mirroshield that reflects just about EVERYTHING. not only that but his short midair jumps actually help him. unlike most characters with large midair jumps. Pits short midair jumps are perfect for Maintaining the same Position for a long period of time. This is generally better for edgeguarding because you never leave your position open. Pits UPB i tell you is the most amazing bait a great gimping character can ask for.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This reminded me when a Stupid Wolf tried to spike me, missed, and I edgehogged him at the last moment. Other similar situations have occured.

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
It's true that Pit is a great edgeguarder, but as for UpB... Honestly WoI gimps happen. It's not extremely rare that you are forced to recover from below stage level without jumps, and though Pit has a few tricks he can play to make his UpB movement less predictable while returning to the stage, he is not very safe against a character with good recovery, good aerial range (maybe a projectile), or a good multi hit aerial.

I think the most gimpable position a Pit can be in is probably below the center of a stage, approaching the lip with WoI. A LOT of people wait for Pit to come near and do a Dair of some sort, which is often a mistake since 1- UpB usually sweetspots the ledge outside of the Dair's range, and 2- Pit can stall for a little at the lip of the stage outside the attack range to let his opponent fall below him Dairing and then grab the ledge, and 3- a missed attack leads to a likely edgehog by Pit.

But the thing is, Pit's position at the lip is very susceptible to many Bairs. Not only can they knock him out of WoI, but they can also stagespike him. This has happened to me a lot. Pit cannot avoid the attack very easily either, since 1- Pit can't go backwards or upwards to avoid it since he is caught in the stage lip, and 2- to go below the attack is often not an option because bairs typically have long-lasting hitboxes, and a lot of the time your wings will be close to running out and will not be able to afford seconds lost dipping down to avoid an attack.

This makes Pit more easily gimped than other characters in this particular case.

I'm not saying this is happens ALL the time. But once maybe every two matches you will be recovering from near the lip with your opponent above you waiting, and if your opponent is smart he will often succeed in gimping you. Pit has a great recovery. His WoI is gimped much fewer times than other recovery moves are. But it's not invincible, and situations like the one I described make gimping a problem for Pit. Not necessarily a huge one, but a considerable one.

TL;DR Pit has a great recovery. But compared to top tiers, Pit is more gimpable, and his slow and attack-canceled recovery is enough of a factor to slightly hamper his potential as a character. The threat of gimping exists, so avoid dangerous and gimpable positions.

kupo15

Smash Hero
no, everyone can do it. Only certain characters can wall jump at anytime, anyone can tech wall jump.

Tipzntrix

Smash Apprentice
To tech that means they would have had to stagespike you. However, this is still really hard to pull off. Does it give you wings back?

Top Bottom