• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Texas Power Rankings: Finally Dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velox

Smash Ace
The top 10 in Texas would have done better than the South Crew/are better than the South Crew. Actually, 8 Texas + KSN and DSW. That would have been an excellent team.

WTF, Smiles has been at the top of the game since like MOAST (1 2 or 3 I dunno) where he got like 4th I think it was? Not on the South Team? Wow. Just wow. I don't want any of this, "well, in the last 2 months he hasn't been doing so well..." No. That isn't near enough the shift the rankings so **** much. That's one of the things I've always hated. One little tournament and the rankings shift wildly. Look at the big picture people, look at at least the last year, come on. The rankings are like 20% how good a player is and their record/consitency/reputation/skill and 80% the last tourney.

Even Rob$ is 5th in rankings in Texas I think. He got 5th at a huge national tournament last year (FC6), LMAO. That's still current enough. Some people say tourneys are the biggest influence on rankings, but then they totally don't act like it at other times.

Mr. C is highly underrated as well. He hasn't placed well in the last 4-5 months. OMG big deal, before that (still pretty recent), he's been like top 5 at all Texas tourneys. Sooo annoying I'm sorry. I really don't care how people refute this.

Also, had Wobbles have gone, he should have been South team. Didn't he get good while he was in Texas before he went to AZ? That should be the major factor in where a player plays. Or was it the other way around (I'm really not sure).

That's all I got.

I don't even understand why M2K is so good anyway. His mindgames are no where near FLT/Azen/some other players. I guess it's just his ridiculous lack of mistakes and consitent (although not amazing) tech skill. He just stays in the zone the whole match and doesn't mess up.

Heh, I'm kidding, I think Flordia did excellent at FC/is really good. It's not just DSW/KSN either, players like Rockcrock, etc. are very good. I still stand by my thought about stupid rankings though :/

Mr.C

Smash Master
I personally think these little biweeklies with 15-20 people should not affect the rankings so much.

Texas needs some more major tourneys i.e wtym, moast etc.. those are the tourneys people look forward to going to. Hosting larger tourneys would really help motivate Texas players to start "liking" smash again.

personally I have been very bored of smash lately because of these biweeklies/smashfest's that don't portray to the actual tournament experience. When I go to smashfests im in no way motivated to play well because they don't have the same competitive feeling as larger tournaments....a big tourney would be really fun. =) sooooooooooooo someone should host one =)

cHaNg-sTa

BRoomer
BRoomer
The top 10 in Texas would have done better than the South Crew/are better than the South Crew. Actually, 8 Texas + KSN and DSW. That would have been an excellent team.

WTF, Smiles has been at the top of the game since like MOAST (1 2 or 3 I dunno) where he got like 4th I think it was? Not on the South Team? Wow. Just wow. I don't want any of this, "well, in the last 2 months he hasn't been doing so well..." No. That isn't near enough the shift the rankings so **** much. That's one of the things I've always hated. One little tournament and the rankings shift wildly. Look at the big picture people, look at at least the last year, come on. The rankings are like 20% how good a player is and their record/consitency/reputation/skill and 80% the last tourney.

Even Rob$ is 5th in rankings in Texas I think. He got 5th at a huge national tournament last year (FC6), LMAO. That's still current enough. Some people say tourneys are the biggest influence on rankings, but then they totally don't act like it at other times.

Mr. C is highly underrated as well. He hasn't placed well in the last 4-5 months. OMG big deal, before that (still pretty recent), he's been like top 5 at all Texas tourneys. Sooo annoying I'm sorry. I really don't care how people refute this.

Also, had Wobbles have gone, he should have been South team. Didn't he get good while he was in Texas before he went to AZ? That should be the major factor in where a player plays. Or was it the other way around (I'm really not sure).

That's all I got.

I don't even understand why M2K is so good anyway. His mindgames are no where near FLT/Azen/some other players. I guess it's just his ridiculous lack of mistakes and consitent (although not amazing) tech skill. He just stays in the zone the whole match and doesn't mess up.

Heh, I'm kidding, I think Flordia did excellent at FC/is really good. It's not just DSW/KSN either, players like Rockcrock, etc. are very good. I still stand by my thought about stupid rankings though :/

A few things to say about this.

1. A very small percentage of the Smash community actually believe that these rankings actually matter. I'm pretty sure most of the panel people don't even really care.

2. Because one player did well in a tournament years ago doesn't necessarily mean the whole world. Yes, he played very well in that one tournament, but then he'll lose to some other players like KirbyKid or JF in more recent time. Of course, you can argue that "who hasn't lost once or twice???", but then you can make the same argument for the ppl above him. FLT barely loses, Xelic performs very well, Wobbles came back from AZ and barely lose matches. We can't say "big name players = auto top 3". That's simply unfair to the other players who work hard to reach the higher spots on consistent performance.

Like Mr. C, we all know he's a solid player, but really hasn't done anything tournament wise to justify why he should be there. Sure, he placed top 5 a lot in his tournies, but a lot of ppl can say they placed top 5 in dallas tournies and such. It's more effective to look at bigger tournaments.

3. And like ALL power rankings, they change according to recent performance. Like it or not, that's how it works. Rankings in NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL change on a weekly basis, do they change a lot? Not all the time, but they're there seeing how the teams have performed lately. Granted, we don't have enough tournaments to have reliable data to go off of, but you gotta go off of something right?

Mr.C

Smash Master
if u want to look at bigger tourneys ive placed better then almost everyone in texas except a few....but deep down inside we all know who is better then who at this game.

rankings dont need to show anything

in smiles case....
player A is capable of beating player B while player B can beat C, D, E, F while player A loses to all of them

all i know is smiles definitely should have been on crews. =)

leprechaun

Smash Ace
if u want to look at bigger tourneys ive placed better then almost everyone in texas except a few....but deep down inside we all know who is better then who at this game.

rankings dont need to show anything

in smiles case....
player A is capable of beating player B while player B can beat C, D, E, F while player A loses to all of them

all i know is smiles definitely should have been on crews. =)
so true , so true. . . . . .

Smiles

Smash Journeyman
thanks C.

BTW I've never lost to JF, and i've beat Kirby kid EVERYSINGLE TIME (about 5 other times. Ask him yo self) other than evo, and I place well in every tourney i go to.

just sayin

But about makin the community larger, it would be a better idea if everyone put effort into 1 or 2 big tournaments a year rather than 50 small ones a month. That would motivate players a lot more. Gamelot and even traders planets tournaments are makin smash less enjoyable.

Biweeklies to save up money every month or so-> big pot = big tourney. DONE!!

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
hello there texas *waves*

this is still in my subscribed threads from when i saw that wobbles was on two power rankings lol

EDIT after reading a bit of this thread:

wow you guys need to calm down LOL

cHaNg-sTa

BRoomer
BRoomer
thanks C.

BTW I've never lost to JF, and i've beat Kirby kid EVERYSINGLE TIME (about 5 other times. Ask him yo self) other than evo, and I place well in every tourney i go to.

just sayin

But about makin the community larger, it would be a better idea if everyone put effort into 1 or 2 big tournaments a year rather than 50 small ones a month. That would motivate players a lot more. Gamelot and even traders planets tournaments are makin smash less enjoyable.

Biweeklies to save up money every month or so-> big pot = big tourney. DONE!!
I was referring to Rob

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
thanks C.

Oh smiles... you shouldn't have gone there. I've tried to be nice to everyone for 6 years,. but you're making me show my "true colors."

Yous say you've beaten me before. I say "psh" that. If you want to take me to FD every FRICKEN tournament and spam projectiles be my guest. I don't blame you. I BLAME THEM!!!!!!!!

All the tiers have gotten better and Kirby has gotten weaker and weaker. I'm surprised I can still beat anybody.

Go on and think what you want. But the last time we played is the most important.

I've been "doing well" at nearly every tournament I've gone to. I used to get at least 9th place in big touranments. Then I stepped it up to 5th. Now it's at about 3rd.

I've beaten all kinds of good players here and there but nobody cares.

You guys are lucky Kirby isn't even mid tier.

Now to add a smilie to throw everyone off :psycho:
My true colors are PINK!

Mr.C

Smash Master
Oh smiles... you shouldn't have gone there. I've tried to be nice to everyone for 6 years,. but you're making me show my "true colors."

Yous say you've beaten me before. I say "psh" that. If you want to take me to FD every FRICKEN tournament and spam projectiles be my guest. I don't blame you. I BLAME THEM!!!!!!!!

All the tiers have gotten better and Kirby has gotten weaker and weaker. I'm surprised I can still beat anybody.

Go on and think what you want. But the last time we played is the most important.

I've been "doing well" at nearly every tournament I've gone to. I used to get at least 9th place in big touranments. Then I stepped it up to 5th. Now it's at about 3rd.

I've beaten all kinds of good players here and there but nobody cares.

You guys are lucky Kirby isn't even mid tier.

Now to add a smilie to throw everyone off :psycho:
My true colors are PINK!

if your always complaining about how much kirby sucks then play another character....
o wait you cant lol cause alll youre other chars are garb
=)

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
if your always complaining about how much kirby sucks then play another character....
o wait you cant lol cause alll youre other chars are garb
=)
Hahahahaah. Mr. C.

First of all... I'm not always complaining. Where exactly does someone like you hear all this "complaining?"

I rarely post on smashboards. I don't even know you. Psh that.

O wait. My fox beat Dr.DrewtheDragon's the last time I used him in a tournament. Does that count as Garb?

You didn't know that did you? I have other characters. I could nearly pick anyone and mop you up and your claims.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Hahahahaah. Mr. C.

First of all... I'm not always complaining. Where exactly does someone like you hear all this "complaining?"

I rarely post on smashboards. I don't even know you. Psh that.

O wait. My fox beat Dr.DrewtheDragon's the last time I used him in a tournament. Does that count as Garb?

You didn't know that did you? I have other characters. I could nearly pick anyone and mop you up and your claims.
im jokeing lols youre good (but someone in the hub linked a forum where you were posting about how bad kirby was and youre the smartest smash player in the world etcetc)

but kirby isnt as bad as you say.....kirby is actually pretty good especially since no one knows how to play him and when you do play him you are forced to camp because he easily punish's mistakes.

and your fox or any of youre other characters will never be able to"mop me up" LOL nice try tho. =)

Xelic

Smash Ace
You guys, what KKK said is absolutely true. He totally ****ing *****.

And that's what this is really about. KKK ****ing *****.

Why weren't you at FCD, Richard?

Also, Gimpy! Look over here!! *Waves*

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
im jokeing lols youre good (but someone in the hub linked a forum where you were posting about how bad kirby was and youre the smartest smash player in the world etcetc)

but kirby isnt as bad as you say.....kirby is actually pretty good especially since no one knows how to play him and when you do play him you are forced to camp because he easily punish's mistakes.

and your fox or any of youre other characters will never be able to"mop me up" LOL nice try tho. =)

Don't get me wrong. About 65-75% of my smash talk are complaints about Kirby or Tiers. I just try to keep it in Texas (mainly Plano and Flower Mound).

The only thing that's good about Kirby is nobody plays him. All of his moves are weak and unreliable. I had to make tricks just to survive. I must have the most tricks out of any player in smash history. The funny part is, most of them are 100% deadly without giving any damage. That should tell you something.

Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. :mad:Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. :(Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. = Kirby

Time to mop.

Smiles

Smash Journeyman
WHAT!? at evo I suicided. and your only game was running away and luering me to the edge. i did go to the edge in one of our matches and got cheap killed. and I STILL almost came back. i take you to fd cause you cant use your platforms to run away. geez

but GGs anywho

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
And you would be one to talk about running away and luering? All I've ever seen you do is run away and spam most of your matches against kirbykid.....

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Hmm, I've always wondered what it would be like if KirbyKid picked up a high tier character, seeing as how he's so good with a bottom tier character.

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I've always wondered what it would be like if KirbyKid picked up a high tier character, seeing as how he's so good with a bottom tier character.
one thing that adds to kkk victories is that almost no one knows how to play against kirbi ^.^

Mr.C

Smash Master
And you would be one to talk about running away and luering? All I've ever seen you do is run away and spam most of your matches against kirbykid.....
LOLLLLLLLL hi this is a competitive video game....you play to win. Only thing I think is gay in smash is wobbling >:D and kirby is a character that makes you camp.... he's slow, no projectiles and bad against defensive strategies/playing styles. Why attack him and get punished when you can camp him and make him make mistakes? lol.

realizzle said:
Looks like kirbykid vs mr c is heating up lolol
nah lols hes better.... i can barely lcancel these days.... =[

kirbykid said:
The only thing that's good about Kirby is nobody plays him. All of his moves are weak and unreliable. I had to make tricks just to survive. I must have the most tricks out of any player in smash history. The funny part is, most of them are 100% deadly without giving any damage. That should tell you something.
lols I understand I play low tier more then my high tier characters.... the bad thing is I dont like losing and when I play ness, kirby, link etc they just cant hang vs high tiers. Hopefully Brawl is a little more balanced and we are able to use more then five characters competively.

but you have to admit kirby's ducking capabilities, bair and superb edge guarding are the ****. Plus you can get some cheap kills sometimes because of his suck up shiz which can easily win a match.

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
LOLLLLLLLL hi this is a competitive video game....you play to win. Only thing I think is gay in smash is wobbling >:D and kirby is a character that makes you camp.... he's slow, no projectiles and bad against defensive strategies/playing styles. Why attack him and get punished when you can camp him and make him make mistakes? lol.
Right I was pointing out that Smiles does the same things and really shouldn't be complaining because like you said in competitive smash you play to win.

Also a hardy good luck to everyone going to OC3. Show them what Texas is made of.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
KirbyKid isn't good just because he plays a weird character--he still beats/gives a hard time to all the good Dallas players that he's been playing with for years.

K1T3

Smash Lord
So I was marth and MrC was Kirby and he was sucking by the edge so I'm like, I'll just foward smash him, it's a huge *** sword it'll definately hit. So I walk up to tipper range and fsmash and I get sucked up and die =( Should've had that match too he was almost dead and I had low percent..

bluezaft

The True Zaft
You actually CAN hit Kirby with the f-smash through the suck up thing...by like a pixel or something. Before I played KKK once I wanted to see for myself, and I tippered Kirby through the suck on my first try, and I've never been able to do it again. I don't get it.

Mr.C

Smash Master
off topic but "If I don't have you" is an amazing song.

its by the backstreet boys but it feels oldschool kind of soul/gospelish

amazing.

Velox

Smash Ace
I guess I agree with you Chang, at least for the time being. But man, people really seem to just throw away past achievements completely when they make these stupid power rankings. I know some people jumped up wildly off of 1 tournament... 1...

Exactly! Which is why I'm hopeing for a big turnout at the Magnolia tournament at the end of August (Smiles you better come)! /shamless advertisement :) As soon as I get the venue confirmed I hope to hear from everyone that can go!

I hope it will be as big as HOST.

Velox

Smash Ace
You should have asked me that back in March or so when all the craziness was happening.

And maybe I meant jumped down wildly, I don't remember.

Velox

Smash Ace
Meh, I'm not going to argue today. But what are you a lawyer?

And to answer your question there is no way I could know what I knew before without looking at the rankings from before, which are unavailable to me.

All of my arguments against yours would boil down to a bunch of opinions going at each other (with you trying to validate why one player is better off of tournaments, totally killing the purpose of panelists), so don't worry about it. I don't really care anymore. This is why power rankings are ********.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know this list isn't perfect, hell I didn't want to do a list in the first place because I knew there would be issues like this.

However just saying "the list is bad" without giving any reason certainly isn't helping anything.

Thing is, it can't be based solely on tournament victories, but you also can't ignore several month long, hot or cold streaks. That's why we've got a good "every two months" thing going on with the list, so it can stay up to date with current victories while still trying to keep in mind old successes.

So no of course it's not perfect, but all things considered I think it's a pretty **** good attempt.

Edit: you had to go and change your last post completely didn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom