• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Terrible! but, I'm going to main him

null84

Smash Cadet
I kind of fall in love with the bike and fart move. I guess that is good enough for me to give up all other characters and main Wario.

Problem:
Bike and fart is easy to use on regular players. However, when I play advance players.... those moves are terrible.

Short attack distance and slow respond makes it difficult fighting advance Ike. Their swords range + doges = pain in the ***

Final Smash: the best way to kill is knock other out the stage and knock them down while they were in the air? I am kind of confuse how to take full advantages on his final smash.

PS. his B button, bite move, seem very useful. It not only able to eat his bike/items but also bite advance players.
oh and his chain grab too

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Your kidding me! Wario is hell in the cell. The only way to main wario and be good is to be more of an advanced player. Take advantage of his air and DI abilities. If your not good as wario your not good period.

Samus_ABe

Smash Ace
I cant believe people actually thing Wario is bad hes a total BEAST if used correctly.

1. His frames for dash dancing and fox trotting etc. can totally be exploited with a little practice
2. Short hop into down a is amazing....seriously I am so impressed by it
3. His air up-a is almost like foxes in melee, makes players really scared to be in the air at high percent
4. DONT LET THE FART CHARGE ALL THE WAY- its way more effective to use it before you start glowing- the other player wont be looking out for it, and you will still do enough damage for what you need. Estimate how long its been going throughout the match, and each time after you use it.
5. Bike can be used really effectivly when certain characters like marth of falcon are coming back to the stage. Ride off the stage with it and hit em, then jump off and finish it. really effective in certain situations.

Blarfenzo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Wario is a great character, besides the lack of range he's fine and every char need a disadvantage.

Be happy his B-moves are usable at all as some do not have that luxury.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Wario has speed, damage building, KO moves, a great recovery, and lots of mind games. If you main him, don't just do it for the bike and the fart!

Short attack distance and slow respond makes it difficult fighting advance Ike. Their swords range + doges = pain in the ***
Slow respond? No, no, no. You're playing him wrong. Wario's got crazy speed. Ike is one of the easiest opponents for Wario.
A basic thing is to fight in the air, ground attacks are to follow up or open more aerial attacks.

Check out Blue sHell's guide and the video thread. Learn.

Your Therapist

Smash Rookie
Wario has alot of stuff going for him. His bike and fart can definetly be used against advanced players if done correctly.

The bike can be used for mind games when you use it to return to the stage, take advantage of the various speeds and turning, and also.... do wheelies! Wheelies on the bike protect you from being hit off from the front when they try to short-hop fair/nair you off. At high enough % it's good enough as a kill move too (if you don't abuse it. XD) Also, the bike can be used to mess up your opponent. Stand next to it, have him get close, and any a button combo he will use will automatically pick up the bike, giving you a free hit. I love doing that online. XD

Like someone said before me, don't charge up Wario's fart all the way if you can. Letting it off just before it would fully charge will have the same effect but be more likely to hit since your opponent will not expect it. Also, you don't have to be NEXT TO you opponent for the fart to work. If you rise up in the air into your opponent it will damage them just the same (although you have to be careful of dairs).

While it is true Wario can have a hard time fighting sword users, his moves are by no means slow (if you know what you are doing). His bite and jabs are very good against sword opponents. His ftilt also has surprising range. I try and keep sword users in the air as much as possible since Wario's air attacks are better for racking up damage. (especially U-air, oh my geez that's strong!)

Wario's bite is a BEAST! If you can easily predict your opponents movements you can easily take advantage of this and piss them off at the same time. I love to short hop into a bite to catch them before they can fsmash me. I also love to bite them as they try and return to the stage. You can also stand there while zelda transforms or PT switches pokemon with your mouth wide open and just catch them up for a nice little snack. :) Delicious!

Wario-man is def. my favorite. His bike becomes an uber killing machine, so I advice learning how to control the lightspeed bike ASAP. You just have to learn the timing for it. Also remember that his air attacks send up vertically in the air a bit when he uses them (to make him "fly") so you can disjoint your attacks just a whee bit and still have them hit. Good for mind games. I personally just love freaking people out with Wario-man. :D

I've played with Wario extensively online and on vs. mode. He's my other main besides Peach, and Peach is too light to play with online since I can lag alot sometimes, so I just use Wario online and have had great success. Hope I helped. :)

null84

Smash Cadet
Wario has alot of stuff going for him. His bike and fart can definetly be used against advanced players if done correctly.

The bike can be used for mind games when you use it to return to the stage, take advantage of the various speeds and turning, and also.... do wheelies! Wheelies on the bike protect you from being hit off from the front when they try to short-hop fair/nair you off. At high enough % it's good enough as a kill move too (if you don't abuse it. XD) Also, the bike can be used to mess up your opponent. Stand next to it, have him get close, and any a button combo he will use will automatically pick up the bike, giving you a free hit. I love doing that online. XD

Like someone said before me, don't charge up Wario's fart all the way if you can. Letting it off just before it would fully charge will have the same effect but be more likely to hit since your opponent will not expect it. Also, you don't have to be NEXT TO you opponent for the fart to work. If you rise up in the air into your opponent it will damage them just the same (although you have to be careful of dairs).

While it is true Wario can have a hard time fighting sword users, his moves are by no means slow (if you know what you are doing). His bite and jabs are very good against sword opponents. His ftilt also has surprising range. I try and keep sword users in the air as much as possible since Wario's air attacks are better for racking up damage. (especially U-air, oh my geez that's strong!)

Wario's bite is a BEAST! If you can easily predict your opponents movements you can easily take advantage of this and piss them off at the same time. I love to short hop into a bite to catch them before they can fsmash me. I also love to bite them as they try and return to the stage. You can also stand there while zelda transforms or PT switches pokemon with your mouth wide open and just catch them up for a nice little snack. :) Delicious!

Wario-man is def. my favorite. His bike becomes an uber killing machine, so I advice learning how to control the lightspeed bike ASAP. You just have to learn the timing for it. Also remember that his air attacks send up vertically in the air a bit when he uses them (to make him "fly") so you can disjoint your attacks just a whee bit and still have them hit. Good for mind games. I personally just love freaking people out with Wario-man. :D

I've played with Wario extensively online and on vs. mode. He's my other main besides Peach, and Peach is too light to play with online since I can lag alot sometimes, so I just use Wario online and have had great success. Hope I helped. :)
thanks for your input. they are all very valuable. I do use wheelies and speed control to take advantage of surprise bike attack, but the problem is they (1 v.s 1 match) see it coming. he/she jump on top and attack me. Marth's counter attack is also pain in the butt too. I'm not sure because friends play me too much or what, they even use it on edge guard. I am currently trying to master bite and fart move to counter sword user.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I am mad at people saying Wario's terrible. Brawls just out, and already people are judging characters. Wario's my secondary (next to King DeDeDe), and while he may be tough to get used to him a first, he can be completely awesome.
-Fast moves
-can rack up damage easily
-great recovery
-great aerials
-slow running speed, but motorcycle takes care of that.

with the exception of short range, Wario is a beast. and besides, with good spacing, range doesn't really matter much.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I find Wario to be pretty bad. He's only good when he's Wario-Man. Other than that, you'll have to rely on a lot of close combat to win with him.

Overall, he's pretty inferior to even his rival Mario, but could hold his own against Bowser and Donkey Kong.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
how do you back up your statement? I supported what I said. what you said was merely an opinion.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
I find Wario to be pretty bad. He's only good when he's Wario-Man. Other than that, you'll have to rely on a lot of close combat to win with him.

Overall, he's pretty inferior to even his rival Mario, but could hold his own against Bowser and Donkey Kong.
Have you even tried him? >_>

Wario is amazing. I win the most out of all my friends with just wario and my friends use marth, pit, metaknight, zss, etc

He only has problems with people that can outrange him. I have big time trouble vs metaknight and pit, but other than that he plays fine. If hes at a disadvantage he has some of the greatest shield poking abilities ever to piss someone off. You can fair and DI away from a shield happy person and eventually they'll stop shielding. His recovery is downright flexible and amazing and his combos are very very good. You really have to take advantage of the fact that wario almost has too many options, and also rising his aerials properly for them to end before you lag. The fart, if used properly, can be very hard to avoid. You can techchase into it, you can combo into it (trust me), and if someone lands on a platform above you, guess what? screwed.

In my opinion he is very far from being the worst. Hes a solid character with some decent matchups. Leave it to people like sonic to be bashed on for just being bad, lol.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
ok as an Ike user I will say wario definally is the hardest person for me to fight. his moves are everywhere its hard for an Ike to hit him because he's moving too much. But it all come's down to knowing what your opponent can do. So Wario is a good person to use. I'll say that.

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice
I am Blizzard138 and I approve of this message.

I'm sorry but if you have trouble fighting Ike you need serious help. If you don't play Wario like Giga Jiggs then you need to re-main or start learning. I'm an Ike mainer and Warios the hardest person to fight ever. My bro is a Wario mainer and he makes me hate playing Brawl. I don't even have ****ing fun with it when I'm playing with him just because its so difficult and frustrating. It's probably pretty tough to learn Wario due to the fact that all the videos aren't any good of Wario. If you need any more help just message me. I know a rather good amount about Ike/Wario matches due to the fact that thats all I've done since Brawls been out basically and I'm kinda getting sick of it to tell the truth.

No this post wasn't meant to bash you and I searched for Wario videos where someone played it right to try and help you out but literally noone plays him any good.. Casshern(I think is his name) is getting there though. He's the best Wario that has a video up atm. But me and my bro are going to somehow try to get videos up soon... I might buy a Gamebridge. If anyone could PM me on a good price for a gamebridge it would be much appreciated.

Another tip, MetaKnight is Warios counter... Wario can't do jack against MetaKnight because Wario excels in his aerials but MetaKnigh cant just fly around and has crazy combos. Pit can also fly but isn't the best counter for Wario because he cant rack up damage near as fast as MetaKnight.

EDIT: I FOUND A GOOD WARIO VID! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0pJ9IOobcI Notice how he runs short hops then forward airs him then backs up while still in the air? Thats called DIing DI=Directional Influence. This is what makes a good Wario and will **** Ike or any slow character that you can force into attacking. Also this is good because if the person tries to sheild grab you, you're already too far away for them to bother.

Your Therapist

Smash Rookie
thanks for your input. they are all very valuable. I do use wheelies and speed control to take advantage of surprise bike attack, but the problem is they (1 v.s 1 match) see it coming. he/she jump on top and attack me. Marth's counter attack is also pain in the butt too. I'm not sure because friends play me too much or what, they even use it on edge guard. I am currently trying to master bite and fart move to counter sword user.

When my opponent starts to see me coming when I use the bike, I like to jump off right before passing him and do a fair (or let him just over you, jump off, then do a bair).

Once you get him into anticipating your moves, turn it around with different strategies.

jamai

Smash Cadet
After reading these posts I'm going to be a bit of a middle-man on the Wario debate.

I have been Wario in probably over 200 1v1s online and offline since Brawl's release so I definitely have some experience with him so I'll give my opinion...

First, Wario has a lot of strengths, B moves that are useful, strong uair/dair, great fsmash, great ftilt, good dtilt and utilt. I think I'd match many opinions above and summarize him as having (mostly) quick moves, quick and strong kill moves, amazing DI, good weight

-Useful B moves
-Strong uair/dair
-Strong Fsmash and tilts
-Quick moves overall, especially some kill moves such as FSmash and UAir
-Amazing DI
-Good weight

Weaknesses:

-Terrible range
-Slow running speed
-Extremely high lag on some moves making them almost completely useless
-Recovery has weaknesses altough isn't terrible

Overall I'd say he's extremely weak against sword characters like Pit, Marth, Ike and Metaknight. It's difficult to pull any attacks off on them and unless you're below them you really can't fight them at all in the air, leaving you with some nice ground moves but the poor running speed. It's really hard to approach these characters at all from any angle and while his DI can prevent shield grabs and grant some faking opportunities.. against the really fast sword users like MK and Pit it's really hard to even pull off this.

Overall I'd say if Wario had a ranged attack he'd be very powerful, but since he doesn't he has to approach most characters and with his poor range it can be very, very difficult.

In conclusion : Even though I've been Wario hundreds of times already and many more times than any other character, he's far from my best character (the very first time I played Pit I did better than I did after playing Wario 100+ times). From my previous Smash Bros experience, unless someone finds an exploit with him, characters that you play a lot and still lose with usually end up being mid tier at best... usually worse. I don't have much confidence but he is a really, really fun character and I love him for that.

Blarfenzo

Smash Journeyman
^

He's running speed isn't that bad and even it was you should be approaching from the air anyway where he is very fast, only his down-smash has way too much lag, and his recovery is fine. His only real big weakness is his short-range on all his attacks excluding f-tilt and d-tilt.

null84

Smash Cadet
After reading these posts I'm going to be a bit of a middle-man on the Wario debate.

I have been Wario in probably over 200 1v1s online and offline since Brawl's release so I definitely have some experience with him so I'll give my opinion...

First, Wario has a lot of strengths, B moves that are useful, strong uair/dair, great fsmash, great ftilt, good dtilt and utilt. I think I'd match many opinions above and summarize him as having (mostly) quick moves, quick and strong kill moves, amazing DI, good weight

-Useful B moves
-Strong uair/dair
-Strong Fsmash and tilts
-Quick moves overall, especially some kill moves such as FSmash and UAir
-Amazing DI
-Good weight

Weaknesses:

-Terrible range
-Slow running speed
-Extremely high lag on some moves making them almost completely useless
-Recovery has weaknesses altough isn't terrible

Overall I'd say he's extremely weak against sword characters like Pit, Marth, Ike and Metaknight. It's difficult to pull any attacks off on them and unless you're below them you really can't fight them at all in the air, leaving you with some nice ground moves but the poor running speed. It's really hard to approach these characters at all from any angle and while his DI can prevent shield grabs and grant some faking opportunities.. against the really fast sword users like MK and Pit it's really hard to even pull off this.

Overall I'd say if Wario had a ranged attack he'd be very powerful, but since he doesn't he has to approach most characters and with his poor range it can be very, very difficult.

In conclusion : Even though I've been Wario hundreds of times already and many more times than any other character, he's far from my best character (the very first time I played Pit I did better than I did after playing Wario 100+ times). From my previous Smash Bros experience, unless someone finds an exploit with him, characters that you play a lot and still lose with usually end up being mid tier at best... usually worse. I don't have much confidence but he is a really, really fun character and I love him for that.
yea I am kind of the same situation with you. I am a part time university student who does not work. Besides watch download movies and watch them with my girlfriend, all i do is brawl. After the gamestop tournament, I have been using Wario A LOT. I not only find wario fun to use, but also have a sudden kill move.(wart)

Anyway, I made this post to seek possibility to kill swordies. Unlike fighting other charcters, Wario cannot control the game. Besides Meta Knight, which they die 80%?, I find it very difficult to fight sword users. That is because if a sword users play Wario a lot, they pretty much know when you want to use the aerial move. You guys might find this offensive, but I start thinking maybe I should use Mario to fight certain characters.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Wario is a very unpredictable character. If you can't use this to your advantage, you won't go anywhere.

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
I have to update my Wario vids, the ones I have on are so noob. They were me playing him two weeks into the JP release. I sincerely need to show the community how it looks to apply some of the preasure combos I speak about on my guide and other things as such on my guide.

And about the OP. If you think Wario is horrible, then I don't think you should even be maining Wario if you think he's terrible. He's really not at all terrible, at all. If you think he is and you main him it means that your playing him terribly.

apocalypse_r

Smash Rookie
do a normal fsmash while warioman.
... ***ZOOOOOOOM!!!!!***
yeah... they didnt expect it either

Top Bottom