• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tell me how to improve my game, videos inside

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
So, i'm just your run of the mill smasher who just so happens to main mario, recently went to a tourny and found out they recorded a few matches. Figured the best way to get even better is to have others take a look at my matches and tell me what they saw me doing right and wrong. So here are the videos of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TnNShpiYkU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqk0xmI_Ksg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifcbo1wFqQM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_6pYkle9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlqRqoKMSfo

And to all those who comment, thank you :)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm watching the first vid. I'll edit (or repost) my comments on the rest of the vids tomorrow. Kinda late, and kinda bleh at the moment.

EDIT:

First Vid: Nice Mario. Kinda impressed with how you handled Chaingrab, though I can see glaring errors.

-Firstly, you keep running into ****. F-tilting and approaching when your fireballs are powershielded. It gets you chaingrabbed and thrown off the edge. To be frank, you're lucky the Chaingrab player had poor edgeguarding skills otherwise you would've been losing stocks faster.
-Secondly, your fireball spam was good, and applied a good amount of pressure, but the follow-ups were lacking. Apply D-air more for the sake of shield pressure and spot-dodge punishing, and get used to vertical spacing with B-air (basically, aim for Chaingrab's head, then either float away or double-jump away if shielded) so you don't get grabbed.
-I saw you ran into Chaingrab's U-tilt, which is pretty much DeDeDe's most reliable kill move. If you're at killing percents, do not go over him.
-Saw some missed Ledgegrabs with Up-B. To avoid that move your Control Stick towards the ledge to grab it. You get a huge bullseye target on your face when you miss this so be careful with that.
-If Chaingrab is over 160%, that's when it's time to start using U-Smash for kills.
-FLUDD application was pretty poor, though I guess for that fight you didn't really need to use it. Would've helped when Chaingrab was trying to approach by the air though (Approach-killing tech).

Second Vid(Since I couldn't sleep): I honestly don't have much to say here. To be completely truthful it seems like Chaingrab just gave up half-way in the fight. You're just the better player in that case.

-Only one note. At low percents, it's better to use U-throw than D-throw against Chaingrab. It keeps him in the air longer and you won't get mauled by his D-air.

More tomorrow.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I have watched the first and third video and there are some things I want to say that I will list.

1. That Dedede player is either not good or has no idea how to fight Mario. There are so many things that are working that shouldn't. I actually can give pointers for him easier than for you. He needs to learn how to powershield your fireballs and properly edgeguard you. There were times when I thought "OK. Mario's gonna get gimped" but he didn't do the correct thing and I thought "No Dedede."
2. You are very aggressive. I'm not saying being aggressive is bad, but if this was a good D3, you would've gotten shield grabbed so many times. Just keep certain things like that in mind. The pikachu on the other hand did some quick hits to punish things.
3. You use fireballs in a way I like. I'm a big fan of fireballs including the Super Mario Bros. series (*****es don't know 'bout my fireballs)
4. Something else I liked was that you seem to understand that Mario's moves are fast and you can get easy quick hits.
5. You use Fsmash too much. Use it as a kill move so you don't stale it. I'd say use less cape but there's no such thing as too much cape.
6. You made me sad that you didn't cape thunder. Also, you can DI Pikachu's Dsmash by holding up.
7. Don't be afraid to really go offstage to edgeguard unless it's like MK or D3. Also cape isn't your only gimping tool. With that you have FLUDD, fireballs and most of your aerials. Lol on the skull bash cape.
8. If an enemy is behind you Usmash will hit them faster than Dsmash will. I saw that you did that a lot.

All in all I think this Mario has some potential. You don't have bad habits like excessive rolling. Rolling can be cut down a bit but it wasn't atrocious. Welcome to the Mario boards and I hope you do well.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the responses so far. I definitely agree that the DDD was lacking and that i made a rather large number of mistakes in the first vid. The pika/yoshi was better than the DDD skillwise at least or so i thought. What i would really have liked to show was the matches where I lost more, as I think those vids would be more useful, but unfortunetly i was paired up on the non-recording tv for most of it, and so I'll work with what I've got.

So far what 'm getting is play it a bit more safe to avoid getting punished as much, try to use the fludd more effectively( as in FiHL im assuming right), use less F-Smash so i have more KO power, and go for more gimp kos by going off the stage more agressively right?

On a seperate note i was practicing the reverse cape glide where you go back towards the stage recently, but on one case i somehow immediately turned around, kept my momentum, and instead of cape gliding shot a fire that moved nicely fast as it somehow kept my momentum without slowing me down like a normal grounded fireball would,. Anyone else ever experienced this? I tried to reproduce it but wasn't able to unfortunetly.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Third Vid: Now this is a legit player. Pikachu definitely had the momentum for a good amount of the match.

-Too much dash attack especially when you were chasing him around. Replace your Dash attacks with N-air or RAR B-air. I also suggest (more like demand) you apply Running Shield(When you dash then cancel it by shielding) to your game to give you more ground options. I saw you do a few times but only to shield grab. You can apply any of your ground options in that manner.
-Speaking of chasing him around, you were doing a lot of that. Now initially there's nothing wrong with that, but that was how he was able to close the gap on you because you essentially kept running into **** (4:36 is a good example). 4:53 is when you started to apply the situation correctly. Keep doing that.
-MOAR U-SMASH! Pikachu lived for too long. At 130% U-Smash is an applicable kill move.
-You can cape Thunder (although Pikachu applied it pretty well this match) and you can FLUDD the Skull bash. You can also FLUDD his QA which would push him higher in the air and essentially make him a sitting duck.
-2:51 to 3:10 was a huge lulz moment on your part. You got way too caught up in Pikachu's momentum. There's nothing wrong with getting away from Pikachu when he's pressuring you so hard, but you didn't, and that's how you got damaged so hard and then gimped.
-The rolling was a bit excessive.

Fourth Vid: Mot much to say here. You handled yourself well.

-Though, you kept being a victim of his B-air, which was honestly spammed too much because it kept working. Up-B OOS completely ***** this, and it trades hits with your own B-air due to disjoints. I believe N-air works too, though someone needs to back me up on that one.
-Can't really stress enough on how you gotta apply U-Smash more for your kills.
-The Yoshi didn't pivot grab enough, which is pretty much his #1 move in his arsenal. For future reference, vertical spacing is needed when you meet a grab-happy Yoshi.

Last Vid: One where you finally lost. All right.

-Nice to see you finally contested Yoshi's B-air. Needed moar Up-B OOS though.
-For reference, 140% is when U-Smash kills Yoshi.
-About halfway in the fight you started to fall into your old habits where you run into ****. In general, you need to start shielding attacks more especially against Yoshi when he goes aerial. Up-B OOS is rather crucial for this to be beneficial to you. Contesting with B-air, U-tilt, and U-Smash works too, but yeah, Shield more.

Generally:

I noticed that you do not momentum break. This is actually very very bad as it's absolutely crucial to living longer. C-stick downwards when launched upwards to FF D-air which is our best MB vertically. Horizontally, you U-air twice, then either jump or fastfall to apply correctly there. I suggest saving your jump however. Your DI seems to be fine most of the time.

You have a problem with B-reversal fireballs when retreating. To negate this, drift backwards first, then put your control stick at neutral, then fireball. Similarly, you can fireball, wait till the fireball is fired, then drift back.

Get more used to spacing with B-air and jabs (yes, Jabs). It'll keep your opponent away when you don't want to be near them. All-around, D-Smash was overused when jabs were better.

More U-Smash.

Overall a legit Mario with plenty of potential. Needs some work, but who doesn't? Keep playing Mario. I'm interested in seeing how far you can go.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Har Har Double Post.
What i would really have liked to show was the matches where I lost more, as I think those vids would be more useful, but unfortunetly i was paired up on the non-recording tv for most of it, and so I'll work with what I've got.
Some advice is better than no advice at all, as long as the critics are willing to analyze then any video that aren't against Level 9 CPUs are fine. :p

So far what 'm getting is play it a bit more safe to avoid getting punished as much, try to use the fludd more effectively( as in FiHL im assuming right), use less F-Smash so i have more KO power, and go for more gimp kos by going off the stage more agressively right?
Pretty much, though FIHL isn't the only thing FLUDD has (just the most popular). I suggest going here to learn more about applications with FLUDD.

On a seperate note i was practicing the reverse cape glide where you go back towards the stage recently, but on one case i somehow immediately turned around, kept my momentum, and instead of cape gliding shot a fire that moved nicely fast as it somehow kept my momentum without slowing me down like a normal grounded fireball would,. Anyone else ever experienced this? I tried to reproduce it but wasn't able to unfortunetly.
Link does this, though this is the first time I heard Mario doing this... in reverse too. Sounds simple, but useful as well. I'll try to see if I can replicate this.

EDIT: What stage were you on?
EDIT2: You might've done a RAR Fireball off-stage.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all the detailed advice and everything,as far as the fireball thing went i did it on final destination, and i'm positive i didnt do a rar fireball as i hadn't jumped nor gotten off the stage.

I'm definitely very aggressive with how i play, and I didn't really notice just how much i was running into **** like you said until you pointed it out. I'll definitely learn to momentum break as well, as it would certainly be very useful.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Hm, I'll look into it more and record what I find, though now it's starting to sound like Pivot Boosting, because that's what I keep doing. You said you don't lose momentum or slow down, do you mean you actually slide like a wave dash or do you actually stop after a second?

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Heres how it went. Run towards ledge - attempt to do a reverse cape glide - end up turning toward the stage shooting a fireball and not stopping my momentum at any point.

I've been sitting here tyring to replicate it as well, but the closest ive got so far is I get to where i suddenly turn and shoot a fireball, but my momentum is stopped unlike the first time.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
All right, gotcha.

I'll find out how this works. If it happened, then it can happen again.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Against the Yoshi...camp smarter. You're leaving yourself very open in the way you camp. Also keep in mind that you can actually aerial -> Jab -> grab while he's shielding and he cannot shieldgrab between hits.

Also, try to save a Smash for kills. Preferably Up-smash.

I'll comment more later.

Top Bottom