• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teeter Canceling

Agi

Smash Lord

I swear next time I find one of these we'll have figured out what's wrong with the capture card.

This may or may not already be known, as it seems to be a subset of ledge canceling, but any character's capable of immediately canceling their FAir into teeter while standing on the ledge, following up with any grounded option. How PRACTICAL this is is up in the air, but it has some pretty great coverage with Bowser here.

Agi

Smash Lord
Sure, edge canceling without the risk of momentum pulling you off the platform you're on. Oddly, in Melee, characters fall past the platform instead of landing in the teeter animation, not sure what's going on with that. (Also, someone on Reddit pointed out that you can use a taunt cancel to immediately put you into the teeter position, good stuff.)

EDIT: Apparently though, this IS already known (as both @Odds_ and @Chevy were quick to point out). Why it only ledge cancels with FAir automatically I don't know, but any other aerial can do the same thing with a quick tap of the analog stick.

Last edited:

ilysm

sleepy
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that ledge cancels are affected by traction and momentum, and if you have too little or too much respectively you will slide off the platform--but it's all the same thing. Is that not true?

Agi

Smash Lord
Ooh, update - figured out WHY it works, turns out that inputting left or right on the C-stick moves you very, very slightly in that direction - so this IS a ledge cancel, done automatically from this specific setup. This means you can flick the C-stick forward in the middle of any other aerial to achieve the same results without risk of overshooting the ledge.

@ ilysm ilysm : I think, with this new understanding, that ledge cancels are dependent on getting to this teeter position - going forwards, at least. Backwards you still have to slide off. So in other words, yes, to quote @ Player -0 Player -0 , this is "literally just ledge canceling," lol.

Last edited:

Agi

Smash Lord
Sure. Any time you land with an aerial (or certain B-moves) and end up in a position that you would be in teeter, all ending lag from that move is canceled out by the teeter animation - this is known as a ledge cancel, something which I mistakenly thought only had to do with sliding off the platform altogether. Usually if you jump while in a teeter situation, you move slightly out of the teetering area, and when you land, are no longer in teeter. However, if you use the C-stick to perform a forward air, you scoot very, very slightly forward back to the position you started in, and end up landing in the animation - useful, perhaps, to check a spacie side-B. You can do this repeatedly without falling off the platform.

Agi

Smash Lord

Blu2 I dunno if you're on Smashboards but I greatly appreciate this insight into the potential hilarity of tech spam between stocks, this is amazing

Top Bottom