• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Technology - General Technology Thread

D

Deleted member

I do have a problem if any of you know about. And that's trying to read floppy disks with an usb adapter. I flipped a switch on the disk and that did nothing... The device that reads the disks works completely fine. Is it just the computer reading it? or the disks themselves? )I'm using windows 10 btw.)
Have you tried this, and this?

Don't use floppy disks (and / or an adapter for that matter) myself, but I'm looking into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
I do have a problem if any of you know about. And that's trying to read floppy disks with an usb adapter. I flipped a switch on the disk and that did nothing... The device that reads the disks works completely fine. Is it just the computer reading it? or the disks themselves? )I'm using windows 10 btw.)
So the USB adapter works with other floppies? Do you have another computer to test the adapter on, or maybe an older computer with a built in floppy drive to test that floppy?

As far as I'm aware all versions of Windows (even 10) still have the ability to read floppies, so that shouldn't be an issue.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
So the USB adapter works with other floppies? Do you have another computer to test the adapter on, or maybe an older computer with a built in floppy drive to test that floppy?

As far as I'm aware all versions of Windows (even 10) still have the ability to read floppies, so that shouldn't be an issue.
1) Nice Profile pic.
2) I tried on a XP laptop, and didn't work. The device works, if it didn't my computers wouldn't be able to recognize the device. I did try my old windows 98 computer years ago by family member's request and it worked. I have no idea where that desktop went, and how to get the content of the disks out if I used that.

EDIT: @Flight , the links you sent me didn't work. But thanks for the attempt

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ELITEWarri0r115 ELITEWarri0r115 have you found a fix for your problem, by any chance?

In the unrelated side of things, what do you guys think about Android 6.0? Will it arrive on your phones / tablets?

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
@Flight I don't sadly, I plan to boot up my windows 98 pc to try out. But Android 6.0... Very interesting I must say... but I have no idea when it will arrive on my device.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@Flight I don't sadly, I plan to boot up my windows 98 pc to try out. But Android 6.0... Very interesting I must say... but I have no idea when it will arrive on my device.
I see, good luck with that. Hopefully it manages to work again.

I don't think I'll ever get Marshmallow (Android 6.0) considering my phone is running a modified version of KitKat with a custom theme, and barely gets any updates. Unless I get to root it, that is.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Nexus tablets ftw (and Motorola phone means that won't be far behind either)

The battery goes down noticeably less when I'm not using it because of Doze, but other than that it doesn't feel much different from Lollipop. Feels more like 5.1 than a full new version.

D

Deleted member

Nexus tablets ftw (and Motorola phone means that won't be far behind either)

The battery goes down noticeably less when I'm not using it because of Doze, but other than that it doesn't feel much different from Lollipop. Feels more like 5.1 than a full new version.
From the looks of it, it does look like a minor upgrade from Lollipop. Though I never tried it out, so I can't say for sure whether it indeed is one or not. Have you tried out Now on Tap, and if so, what do you think about it?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Does anyone know of an anti-malware alternative to AVG that works well at removing and protecting from malware without any bugs AND doesn't tax heavily on memory and CPU? The latest AVG versions do the latter for both my laptop and desktop. My licenses are set to expire soon, anyway. I've tried Webroot and McAfee but those have had bugs. I don't care about pricing, I just want effectiveness and friendliness to computers that don't have the most up to date software.

And please, do NOT recommend IOBit System Care Ultimate. That taxes even more on the systems and virus scans take literally forever.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
anti-malware
Malwarebytes. I cannot recommend this enough.
I've used it to bring computers absolutely full of stuff back before. I had something like 4000+ detected items once when helping a friend with it...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Malwarebytes. I cannot recommend this enough.
I've used it to bring computers absolutely full of stuff back before. I had something like 4000+ detected items once when helping a friend with it...
I read about their optional real-time protection which is the only thing you need to pay for, would that be worth it as well? Because I always like that extra layer of protection. I know that you don't need to actually pay for the scanning and virus database updates.

For what it's worth I do have the free edition on my laptop and it's very resource friendly. Not on the desktop, though, as of yet.

Last edited:

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
I read about their optional real-time protection which is the only thing you need to pay for, would that be worth it as well? Because I always like that extra layer of protection. I know that you don't need to actually pay for the scanning and virus database updates.

For what it's worth I do have the free edition on my laptop and it's very resource friendly. Not on the desktop, though, as of yet.
It's entirely up to you. I currently have the paid edition and I can say that having it all automatized for me is helpful, haven't personally ran into a situation where I needed the realtime protection yet though.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So I'll post my question that I post on Social thread before.
Recently my laptop has problem, last week morning I open my laptop. I notice my laptop's Internet are linked, but when I open Chrome are to load Smashboards, it went rolling for minutes, and then I tried Google, still the same. And Windows notification tell me my Kaspersky and Windows defender are closed, I tried to reopen them but didn't response immediately. Windows defender was the first to pop up, but it needs update... I can't update it without Internet
I went to a Wifi hotspot and still didn't work. And then I open my task manager and notice my Ethernet never had data received when I load browser.

I already took it to fix but they say it might need to reinstall (Or to be exact, reset), I think this really isn't worth it, can any of you guys help me or at least give me some computer knowledge?

I also know it could be a bit weird to post things like this here, so are there any threads that talks about computer?

PS My laptop is Windows 8

Update:
Today I went and ask about if they could just restore my Win 8, she said it won't work really much. She said it's just like a person getting a cold but you are never sure when was this person infected. So she say reset my laptop is a better why to fix my laptop...

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
mario123007 mario123007 Have you used the Hard Reset? (Press and hold power button) or unplug your wifi for 12 seconds and restart that? I had the problem once, and I forgot what I did from these two options and it fixed itself...

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
mario123007 mario123007 Have you used the Hard Reset? (Press and hold power button) or unplug your wifi for 12 seconds and restart that? I had the problem once, and I forgot what I did from these two options and it fixed itself...
I haven't tried hard reset, I only try to reopen my laptop, but of course doesn't work. Unplug my Wifi for 12 seconds? Maybe I had tried and it doesn't work.

I recently saw Win 8 you can refresh your laptop if there's any problem with your system, unlike reset, it keep your files except apps you downloaded from Internet and DVD. I'm now afraid they already did that...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I'm working on a certain effects heavy project in Sony Vegas 12 and have been unable to render it or work on it further due to errors. It could be that I have inferior hardware, though I also get reports of a bad DLL file. Removing the effects plugin is out of the question as I use those effects in the video. The thing is, I'm at work right now and the text file chronicling my issues is on my home computer. If anyone's versed in Sony Vegas and can determine whether it's a DLL or hardware or something else, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the logs and everything (it's a lot of stuff).

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Does anyone know how to remove uninstalled software icons on Wins 8 home page (Circled)?
未命名.png

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Have you thought about right-clicking the icons to see what options show up?
I remember a while ago I can delete the icon by just right click and press "Delete icon", but now it can't.
It only shows options to put the icon on your desktop page, downbar section, open the software as manager, open the file's location...
Wait ok, I did click that and then I had found the file that made the icon shown on the page(file route: Programdata>Miscrosoft>windows>Start Menu). Seems that I have to delete that even I uninstalled Youtube downloader HD. That also made me wonder what will happen if I delete the files that are still existed, like Skype, Discord etc...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I remember a while ago I can delete the icon by just right click and press "Delete icon", but now it can't.
It only shows options to put the icon on your desktop page, downbar section, open the software as manager, open the file's location...
Wait ok, I did click that and then I had found the file that made the icon shown on the page(file route: Programdata>Miscrosoft>windows>Start Menu). Seems that I have to delete that even I uninstalled Youtube downloader HD. That also made me wonder what will happen if I delete the files that are still existed, like Skype, Discord etc...
I don't think the same will happen for other applications as long as your antivirus software (Kaspersky) doesn't detect them as viruses like this.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I don't think the same will happen for other applications as long as your antivirus software (Kaspersky) doesn't detect them as viruses like this.
No, Kaspersky only detected virus when I download the update .exe file. And then Kaspersky removed that file which made Youtubedownloader HD unable to work. So that's why I uninstalled it.
I want to install another software called Free Youtube to Mp3 downloader made by Dvdvideosoft, it's a great software to download videos to Mp3 if you neglect it's annoying ads. I hope it can work on my laptop.

D

Deleted member

should i buy a mac pc or build a windows pc, with all the specs i want?

Top Bottom