• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Technology - General Technology Thread

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
It's error 80240020. Pretty sure you know about it.
Did you try the solution in the Reddit post I linked to: https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3eyrre/fix_for_the_80240020_error_when_trying_to_install/
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

EDIT: For those who still have issues, several users reported that setting their time forward (to the First of August for example) and then doing the above steps again helped them resolve the issue.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I've done that a couple times already with no luck. The error keeps showing up.
Some people are saying to try downloading from here and burn it to a DVD or USB drive instead. Apparently it doesn't ask for the product key if your computer is eligible for the free update.

Last edited:

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Now error 80070003 is showing up.
Temporary files need to be deleted.

1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button
    , and then clicking Computer.

2. Double-click the local hard disk where Windows is installed (typically, drive C).

3. Double-click the Windows folder, and then double-click the SoftwareDistribution folder.

4. Double-click the DataStore folder to open it, and then delete all files in the folder.
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

5. Click the Back button. In the SoftwareDistribution folder, double-click the Download folder to open it, delete all files in the folder, and then close the window.
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Click on it to see more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Temporary files need to be deleted.

Click on it to see more.
I'll take a look at that soon.

Some people are saying to try downloading from here and burn it to a DVD or USB drive instead. Apparently it doesn't ask for the product key if your computer is eligible for the free update.
I see. I don't think I own any blank DVDs though.

Last edited by a moderator:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
It's error 80240020. Pretty sure you know about it.
"To fix this:

1. Delete everything you find in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
  2. Reboot
  3. Restart the download by heading directly into Windows Update
P.S. If the upgrade still doesn't work after following these steps, its likely you have an unknown issue with your network connection or hardware. In that case, use the new ISO tool to create an installation on actual media." Source: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-fix-80240020-windows-10-installation-error

D

Deleted member

Actually, no, I haven't tried doing the "date switch" method. Might have to do one last try.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Finally got the update installed at the third time of asking... and almost immediately on startup, the taskbar crashed. Some things never change :|

D

Deleted member

Finally got the update installed at the third time of asking... and almost immediately on startup, the taskbar crashed. Some things never change :|
They'll probably fix that later with an update. At least you have it, right?

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Happened to me too. but all I had to do to fix it was a simple reset which took about 20 min. to do so for fixing.

On a separate note, One thing I really don't like about the new update is Cortana. In order to use her, I need to have her track my location and I don't want to do that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Happened to me too. but all I had to do to fix it was a simple reset which took about 20 min. to do so for fixing.

On a separate note, One thing I really don't like about the new update is Cortana. In order to use her, I need to have her track my location and I don't want to do that.
And a Microsoft account. No thanks, but I'm sticking to the old ways (a local, "normal" account).

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562

Cortana is not working for me because of regenal settings. It is available in the UK i think but all the settings are set to the UK.

D

Deleted member

Huh. What if you've got a Home Single Language edition (upgrade from 8.1 with Bing), then?

D

Deleted member

Installing it right now. Glad to see it finally worked.

EDIT: done.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Looks like all of us have upgraded to Windows 10 master race. :laugh:

Curiously, I've seen that the battery life of my laptop has jumped after I upgraded. Did it happen to anyone else?

:231:

D

Deleted member

Curiously, I've seen that the battery life of my laptop has jumped after I upgraded. Did it happen to anyone else?

I think it has happened to me as well. Not quite sure. I use the battery saver mode even though it activates when the baftery [life] is running low.

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148

I can't really tell since I'm not using a laptop, Gotta guess the code is more efficient thus less energy is used :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

Went more in-depth on the subject and turns out my battery life is the same as before. Nothing big.

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
i want to know where to get a capture card in stores, if i don't come up with a good answer/ store i will buy one online :3
and i need it :4sonic: speed

D

Deleted member

i want to know where to get a capture card in stores, if i don't come up with a good answer/ store i will buy one online :3
and i need it :4sonic: speed
Capture cards? Hmm, you can just buy one from Amazon. That's what I would do.

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
Capture cards? Hmm, you can just buy one from Amazon. That's what I would do.
also how do they work, are they acutal cards? becuase i dont want to replace my WHOLE wii data just to record a screen

D

Deleted member

also how do they work, are they acutal cards? becuase i dont want to replace my WHOLE wii data just to record a screen
I don't own one, so I don't know what to say about that.
As far as I know, they are not. Capture cards connect to both your console and PC, with the latter recieving all the stuff you would need to record.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Most capture cards are external devices that connect to the video output of the console, and split the output signal so it's sent to both the TV and computer. They make no modifications to either your console or computer (unless it's an actual capture card that has to be built into a desktop PC like an extra RAM module).

Best place to buy them from is probably Amazon. The best value-for-money is either the Elgato Game Capture HD, or the AverMedia LGP (the AverMedia can optionally record without being attached to a PC, but this requires a fairly decent-sized SD card).

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Most capture cards are external devices that connect to the video output of the console, and split the output signal so it's sent to both the TV and computer. They make no modifications to either your console or computer (unless it's an actual capture card that has to be built into a desktop PC like an extra RAM module).

Best place to buy them from is probably Amazon. The best value-for-money is either the Elgato Game Capture HD, or the AverMedia LGP (the AverMedia can optionally record without being attached to a PC, but this requires a fairly decent-sized SD card).
Worth noting - the elgato sucks for streaming from what I've heard. It's great at recording though.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Worth noting - the elgato sucks for streaming from what I've heard. It's great at recording though.
Yeah, I haven't tried streaming with it myself, but there's a delay of a few seconds between live gameplay and the recorded content, so I'd imagine commentary would not quite match up with the gameplay. Otherwise, it's just fine.

D

Deleted member

So the Elgato isn't that good for streaming? Well, if I ever had one, I'd just use it for recording purposes, and then add whatever is up on my mind (such as a commentary) using a video-editing application.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Dammit. Cortana isn't programmed for Canadians.
At least Canada is a "major" market, so you're more likely to get it eventually than us. Apparently Cortana for Windows Phone has been available in Canada for over a year, but there's still no sign whatsoever of it being released here. Some people are even doubting that it'll ever be released here.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
At least Canada is a "major" market, so you're more likely to get it eventually than us. Apparently Cortana for Windows Phone has been available in Canada for over a year, but there's still no sign whatsoever of it being released here. Some people are even doubting that it'll ever be released here.
Ah that sucks. Hopefully there's a workaround for this.

D

Deleted member

It'll be released in all regions eventually. Localization takes lots of time to finish.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I do have a problem if any of you know about. And that's trying to read floppy disks with an usb adapter. I flipped a switch on the disk and that did nothing... The device that reads the disks works completely fine. Is it just the computer reading it? or the disks themselves? )I'm using windows 10 btw.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom