• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Technology - General Technology Thread

D

Deleted member

Welcome to the technology thread!

I felt like establishing a "proper" technology thread for all talk about operating systems, electronics (except video game consoles and handhelds, as they already have their own threads in the Light House), and all of the like. I've searched through the good ol' Pool Room and no such thread has been created yet, so I decided to help. Global Rules still apply. Enjoy!​

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

So here is where we discuss the PC master race?
Good question. This is more for discussions about things such as operating systems (ex. Windows, Linux) and devices like smartphones, PCs, and tablets. Definitely not for PC gaming. I believe there are threads for that kind of thing in the Light House. Who knows? Maybe a separate thread made for PC gaming discussion in its entirety can come into fruition in the future.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
I dont think we are that far from hover cars TBH.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Windows has the worst DRM ever. I worried about Windows 10 because of the fact that if the copy of Windows you are using is not genuine it will not activate BUT however i am using a real copy of Windows 7 but the product key doesn't work anymore... which is my biggest concern.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Windows has the worst DRM ever. I worried about Windows 10 because of the fact that if the copy of Windows you are using is not genuine it will not activate BUT however i am using a real copy of Windows 7 but the product key doesn't work anymore... which is my biggest concern.
Wait, it doesn't? Hmm, not sure how can I help. Maybe wait and see if you make it into the free upgrade when it comes out in July.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Speaking of windows 10, what do you think of it being released in July? How well do you think it will be? I am so glad that I can finally get off of windows 8

D

Deleted member

Speaking of windows 10, what do you think of it being released in July? How well do you think it will be? I am so glad that I can finally get off of windows 8
I think it'll be great. I've tested two builds of the Insider Preview in a VM (virtual machine) and I can tell you, it's way better than both 7 and 8.1 combined. The performance improvements and better user interface add to the mix.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I think it'll be great. I've tested two builds of the Insider Preview in a VM (virtual machine) and I can tell you, it's way better than both 7 and 8.1 combined. The performance improvements and better user interface add to the mix.
I never did get the chance to use the Peer Review. That's good to know! and one thing I need to know is the requirements for installation. My Pc has 1TB

D

Deleted member

I never did get the chance to use the Peer Review. That's good to know! and one thing I need to know is the requirements for installation. My Pc has 1TB
Check the official Windows website > Specifications for the PC requirements. My upgrade is reserved but I no longer see the Windows logo (that activates the "Get Windows 10" app) in the system tray. Odd.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Check the official Windows website > Specifications for the PC requirements. My upgrade is reserved but I no longer see the Windows logo (that activates the "Get Windows 10" app) in the system tray. Odd.
Huh. I reserved and I still have it

D

Deleted member

Huh. I reserved and I still have it
I see. Perhaps it's because I was one of the early users that reserved it. It arrived on May 30th for me, a day before the official launch of the update. Either way, you have the option to reserve it via Windows Update (besides the "Get Windows 10" app), so I'm good. I've been trying to search what is the cause of it disappearing from my system tray.

EDIT: Now it works, and my laptop meets the requirements. Nice!

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I'm probably not going to upgrade to Windows 10. I'm one of the weirdos who actually liked the start menu in 8 and 8.1.

D

Deleted member

I'm probably not going to upgrade to Windows 10. I'm one of the weirdos who actually liked the start menu in 8 and 8.1.
According to Microsoft, you will have one month to revert back to your previous operating system after upgrading to Windows 10. That's enough time to decide whether you are impressed with it or not. The option is currently available for Windows Insider builds, so I don't know if that's going to make it into the "final" version.

I liked 8 / 8.1's Start screen as well.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
A month to revert back sounds like a nice deal. I'll have to check out Windows 10 on that note.

D

Deleted member

A month to revert back sounds like a nice deal. I'll have to check out Windows 10 on that note.
I'll probably stick with it. No reason to downgrade to 8.1 on my end. Unless bugs / glitches / crashes take place.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm really looking forward to Windows 10.
It looks like a good mix between Windows 7 and Windows 8's material design.

Since there is now a tool to disable automatic updates, I see no reason to not upgrade.

:231:

D

Deleted member

I'm really looking forward to Windows 10.
It looks like a good mix between Windows 7 and Windows 8's material design.

Since there is now a tool to disable automatic updates, I see no reason to not upgrade.

:231:
Agreed. Automatic updates won't be a problem for me since I generally tend to have the latest firmware available on my PCs.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm sticking to 7, personally. Compatability issues are a major factor for me not upgrading. Plus, I'm not much of a fan of the Cortana integration or the whole product key business.

Fun fact - there actually used to be a general technology forum but since it wasn't used much it was archived. The perks of being Premium and seeing the Archived Forums

D

Deleted member

I'm sticking to 7, personally. Compatability issues are a major factor for me not upgrading. Plus, I'm not much of a fan of the Cortana integration or the whole product key business.

Fun fact - there actually used to be a general technology forum but since it wasn't used much it was archived. The perks of being Premium and seeing the Archived Forums
You can disable Cortana though. I for one won't be using it (or her?). Can't blame you on that one, after all, this upgrade is optional.

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148
yeah, that's always an issue, I decided to risk it and go insider. Got a free legit copy of win10 in my computers thanks to it, whooo.

D

Deleted member

yeah, that's always an issue, I decided to risk it and go insider. Got a free legit copy of win10 in my computers thanks to it, whooo.
I actually planned to install an Insider Preview build, but I opted out at the last minute. I preferred waiting for the RTM build anyway.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
So about 4 hours ago, I got the message that the Windows 10 update had downloaded and was ready to install... It was stuck on "Configuring update 41%" for the last four hours, and I had to reboot the computer. Going to try and start over now. Anyone else had any problems with the update?

Edit: I guess the download got corrupted somehow, as it seems to have binned it and is now downloading from scratch again. :/

Edit 2: Yup, it got corrupted https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3eyrre/fix_for_the_80240020_error_when_trying_to_install/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So about 4 hours ago, I got the message that the Windows 10 update had downloaded and was ready to install... It was stuck on "Configuring update 41%" for the last four hours, and I had to reboot the computer. Going to try and start over now. Anyone else had any problems with the update?

Edit: I guess the download got corrupted somehow, as it seems to have binned it and is now downloading from scratch again. :/
I've had some problems with the upgrade on Windows 8.1, but that's it. Most notably, error 80240020 would show up and make me download the thing from scratch.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace

Edit 2: Yup, it got corrupted https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3eyrre/fix_for_the_80240020_error_when_trying_to_install/
I Finished the update no problemo... I have no idea why it was corrupted to you

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ugh.. I'm to the point I may stop wasting my time and keep 8.1... why does it keep giving me error messages?

Top Bottom