• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Technically Challenging Recovery Option

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
So I was just practicing this new thing I found, and it is kind of awesome. When you're recovering low, you can toss an egg to sweetspot the ledge, which is nice, but your move has no priority, so it is risky if you get hit. If you option select a tech the moment you hit UpB, you will throw the egg, and be able to tech the stage if you get hit. While you're throwing the egg/getting hit, SDI into the stage with quarter circle DI, and end by going up, to jump out of the tech. Finally, airdodge to cancel the momentum of your jump, into landing on stage.
The other option (harder) is to neutral tech then airdodge up onto the stage.

Summary: go for UpB sweetspot, as you toss egg hit R then SDI in, airdodge onte stage after tech.

The egg will still come out, and can hit your opponent.

This is something I would use if your opponent charges smashes to edgeguard you.

I have done this, I'm not theorycrafting, but haven't gotten chance to try it in a real match. ATM I have a horrible success ratio with it, and it isn't part of my gameplay at all, and I don't know if it is practical.

I am sharing this as soon as I discovered it and thought instead of practicing on my own, I would put it up here for other Yoshis to try.

I feel like some other player is going to say he discovered this already . . .

Edit: I already brought this up before, but just a reminder since I'm putting up the technical stuff. . . shield drop -> platform cancel U-air is amazing, and can't really be punished unless you mess up somehow, and it follows up really easy, so Yoshis should implement that as well. . .

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
The use of all of these things together. Stage teching isn't really a new thing, but I've never seen anyone do it with Yoshi, likely because he has no third jump to recover with once he techs. I have also seen once before a Falcon teching into an airdodge recovery. Option selects are used all the time, although it isn't really discussed as much. The UpB ledgegrab is old and used all the time as well. All of those components are already out there. . . but I've never seen anyone put them together before.

Edit: Just because I 'discovered' it doesn't mean I made it/am the first one to use it/its mine/whatever. This isn't my thing. This is a Yoshi thing. That is why I put it here for Yoshis, instead of keeping it for me. For all I know this could have been found by someone else, who is keeping it a secret until they're good enough to implement it in a match. Who knows.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
seems pretty solid of an option in some situations.
I must confess that I'm not the greatest at ledge teching (I blame myself, not yoshi) so i'll probably fail at trying to do what's proposed... If i get a chance to play with anyone.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Considering how easily I've gotten a few off, I feel like with a good amount of practice it can be done. As a Yoshi player, the superficial thing to think is that you don't need ledge techs. I've never seen it really used in a Yoshi, so until today I never really thought anything of it.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Sounds pretty solid. I've walljump teched once and couldn't make it back to the stage because I didn't have a third jump. I didn't know that air dodging can cancel your walljump tech, so this can definitely be useful in situations where you're forced to recover low.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I suck at teching (with Yoshi) prolly cuz I never "usually" need to (superarmor) or think of it, at the time.. ><;

Long story short, i'll NEVER be able to do this, I'm too trained on other things.. ><;

And I usually trust my sweetspotted eggs anyway, if I miss, it was either a bad option... or me sucking.. :(

yeah I suck :(

Good thought tho ^^

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Since it is an option select, you could do it even if you're confident in your egg toss sweetspot, but I was thinking this would be used when you think you're going to get hit and your super armor won't save you. Ex: Falco SH D-air on the edge or Marth charging F-smash. The think the reason this option works is because you cancel your super armor, which messes with you because of DI hitstun and momentum. . . you can tech after you get hit out of your DJ, but it seems harder to me. . . although it might be easier at higher %s.

Note: Since this has 0 use at 0%, I've been testing this with motion sensor bombs on the edge, and starting % at 50-100%, so a recovery at 150%ish, might make DJ tech more viable. . . (and 150% ish is probably the range where this would be most useful most often. . .)

Edit: I'm not getting this a majority of the time on motion sensor bombs at 100% and at 150% I can get it pretty often. . . Although I've noticed that you have to be careful with your R button, if you try to airdodge too soon (going for an instant airdodge makes you and on the stage very quickly, os is safest) the gam can read it as a missed tech and you'll just get hit. . . make sure there's a definite pause between the first and second time you hit the R button. The location of the bomb and the angle you come at it affects things, so this practice is more of a proof of concept, and will vary in matches. . .

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
How about a side B after neutral tech? It would be quite surprising, and unless they CC it, Yoshi can roll far away.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
It'd work only if you teched really high against the edge. In that case I think it'd be the preferred option.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Side B? I like this idea. . . I'm interested in trying it later when I have free time. I also was thinking about trying down-B -> ledgetech, but I haven't really gotten anything down to the point where it is even worthwhile. At the moment is just a cool idea.

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
Side B looks cool but I can't imagine it ever being a better option than airdodge. You can even get a countergimp from the airdodge, while side B will get you a few percent and you have to roll far to be safe.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
If you knock them over you could probably use the side B as a surprise element, who would expect that after hitting a Yoshi they'll tech it and egg roll them? An interesting idea for sure.

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
I tried my suggested method of jump-upB-tech-eggroll (mostly at 1/4 speed with mines) and my empirical results say that it works, as long as you tech high enough and do it fast enough.
Always do side-B away from the stage, then directly slap it towards. You naturally get more momentum toward the stage that way. It might be a problem because it would most likely become SDI away from the stage, which is pretty bad if we want to tech.

It is pretty fast, so I believe direct follow up by the opponent is unlikely.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Recover from above with egg roll, ledge tech, egg roll on to the stage.
Tasty.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
It would never be useful, but there's no reason it couldn't work.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
So I've tested this more since my last post, and when I test I play as P2, using handicap to start at 100% (practicing with )%'s hitlag is useless practice), my record is 5 consecutive ledgetechs.

This would only be useful as a mixup, or if you see them charging a smash, as such for weaker moves like a tilt, you should be able to jump through. If you can't jump through it, then using the air dodge will allow you to land quickly enough that their lag won't let them punish you. Egg Lay takes long enough that unless you're on FD or facing Jiggs/Peach/irrelevant characters they will catch you in your ending lag.

Coming down with side B is only good as a mixup compared to coming straight down or going for the ledge with down B. I would say this is more of a gimmick, but you can use it once in a while. teching after using it sounds useless because to ledge tech you must be on the ledge, which would simply kill you if they didn't see it coming. Unless your opponent is in the habit of instantly smashing things they don't understand. . . but who knows, definitely play with it.

I still haven't implemented this at all except messing around in matches where I have a for-sure-victory. You're better off focusing your tech skill toward useful things like DJC U-air strings and ECEs. If you get those down this might be useful . . . but it is really hard. You're probably better off challenging their ability to cover all their options, like mindgames and stuff about when you airdodge or down B etc.

(All the above might be stated as fact, but I might be wrong, they are all opinions.)

My 2 cents :p

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I'm not saying a lack of DJC skill would limit you from this, but you're probably better off practicing practical things like DJCs. Or shield drops. . . etc. This is a really cool move, but it is limited in use, so it is more of a backburner kinda thing IMO. Unless you already have really good tech skill, then go for it. ATM I don't have enough time to play :p

Top Bottom