• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Technicality vs. Mindgames

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
There is no doubt that Bombsoldier's techincal abilities are amazing; however, I don't think there is a significant disparity b/t his level of skill and that of other top pros. It takes a certain baseline level of technical skill to have any hope or prayer of competing at an elite level; all pros possess this and the difference is probably so small as to be negligible. You can't definitively say that mindgames are more important technical skill b/c it isn't possible to be very good at SSMB w/o some degree of tech skill. However, there is a ceiling as to how technicallly sound a player can be. As I said earlier, the skill level of most pros exists in the vicinity of the ceiling, bombsoldier just happens to be at the top. Combining this with the fact that Bombsoldier is not the best player in the world implies that mindgames, metagames, or whatever you want to call it play a significant role in the success of a player.

So it seems to me that "mindgames" separate good players from great players.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
But so does tech. skill.

Both are needed. It's like peanut butter and jelly. You can't sing the song without both of them.

Tech. skill is being able to do things. Mindgames (which I know thing need to have ONE moderator sticky with definition and discussion) are applying them in ways that are useful.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
just to call into attention the fact that for certain characters mindgames are more important that tech skill, such as zelda whos probably 75 mindgames and 25 tech skill

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
@ti83: I wasn't suggesting that there is no difference in tech skill b/t good players and bad players. My point was that amongst the pros, or any other group of comparable players there is a greater disparity b/t the use of mindgames (if that even makes sense) than the difference in technical skill.

Eggz

Smash Hero
You mistake what I'm saying....have they won any major tourneys? NO. In the recent past.
I dont think you know what your talking about. Has Ken won any major tourneys recently?

I'd have to say no because there like havn't been any on the west coast in like 3 million years.

Since when do people have to win major tourneys to be good? Are you saying everyone who didn't win OC2 isn't worth noting?

Sastopher is one of the best peachs in the US

Ka Master ***** everyone using only Luigi

VarietyBarrage is a very smart fox.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
@tarheel: I guess I see what you're saying. That makes sense, that last lines just kinda made it seem like you were talking about the whole spectrum.

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
First, just to point out something I've noticed. ThatHappyNi*ga, I used to live in Bergenfield, NJ - and go to lincoln school and roy w. brown lol. I live in morris county and make frequent trips to bergenfield so and so often...

Mindgames are directly proportional to Technical Skill. Like math. I don't understand why people almost always seperate these two, as if these concepts have no connection. Tech skills are needed for mindgames, and mindgames are need for technical skill. If you cannot 'mindgame' (and by that, I mean deceive your opponent to get in a hit), then your technical skill is futile. If you lack technical skills, you also lack the ability to 'mindgame' (in other words deceive your foe).

Even Bombsoldier has mindgames. I would be more than happy to point them out to you, topic creator, but since you're such an expert on the subject, (and for bringing up a topic that has been introduced a mammoth amount of times), I suggest you see all the mindgames Bombsoldier has to offer on Youtube, for yourself.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Leviathan, I -- of course -- agree strongly. I was sitting around one day and wondering why it seems that people who learn advanced techs are generally better than those who don't.

Of course, it's a stupid question, because advanced techs allow people to move in more ways than they could have originally. This variability greatly aids in unpredictability... which directly leads into mindgames.

So from tech skills come mindgames.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Don't try to put mindgames and tech skill into a tangible form [i.e. numbers, percentages etc.] you'll confuse yourself because neither mindgames or tech skill can be put into a tangible form.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I think tech skill can be measured, though. Certain people have the ability to do certain techs and that's that -- so you can put it to a number.

If kid x can wavedash but not ledge tech or something like that, then all that's left is assigning weighted points to different techs and going from there.

And yes, Yale kid, mindgames and tech skills are distinct. No one said they weren't. They're just related.

Scar

#HarveyDent
haha Yeah, I was actually thinking about that on the way to class this morning. I was wondering how much I'd suck if I never short hopped.

dReAMCloUd - Assault K 40

Smash Apprentice
That's wrong........greater tech skill does not imply better "deductive reasoning," but overall better gameplay. Overall better gameplay does not in and of itself imply better deductive reasoning either.

E.G. Some guy plays a lot with his local friends.....none of them are reallly that good, however they all have excellent tech skill. Suddenly they decide to make an appearance at a smash tourney and go up against an experienced player with average tech skill....what do you think will happen?

Thus tech skill = better gameplay DOES NOT EQUAL BETTER REASONING SKILLS

Top Bottom