• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech skill question

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
Im not sure if fox has a lot of tech skill but if there is any feel free to let me know, im picking up fox and I would like to get in depth with all his tech. I already know about jumping and immediately using illusion already :p but when I say tech skill I mean thing like wario puting his bike onstage by ramming it on the ledge while hes offstage. If fox doesnt have much tech skill i'll be kinda dissapointed lol

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Fox doesn't really have too many techniques that are exclusive to him, but the universal techniques in this game are very important for Fox players. Perfect pivots, extended dash dance, short hop up airs, etc. are what you can use to be a better player overall, since adding even more options to Fox's arsenal will only benefit you.

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
Fox is a very fast character, and abusing this speed is key to success as fox. Practicing his foxtrots, extended dash dances, perfect pivots, short hops etc, is important because they are very fast tools for fox in battle, something that not many characters can claim, despite every character having access to these techniques. Practicing his autocancelled aerials is also important.

Here are some to practice:

-SHFF bair
-Full hop FF dair
-Dair AC from a short hop
-SH uair, not only while standing but also while running. THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to master.
-SHFF nair

Just knowing the autocancel frames in general is very important for fox. It is also important to practice your auto cancels on the BF platforms because this is a good stage for fox.

You should also learn how to pivot ftilt/fsmash, pivot grab and Fair spike opponents in combos and kills. Learning how to roll, jump or spot dodge out of your reflector on reaction is useful in MU's heavy on projectiles.

Generally you just want to learn all of your important options and know when they are useful, as this will make you a much more versatile player.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
fox is pretty tech heavy, but more than that, he requires good tech to play.
Did that sentence confuse you? There's tech like techniques and then there's just general tech skill and input performance.
Fox is hard to play properly at a high level because he requires an insane amount of input performance, even the simplest inputs have to be done just right. Timings are SUPER important, you mistime something by even the smallest amount and it can be the difference between you hitting them and them hitting you, which can be the difference between you following up and getting a kill and winning, or them following you up, killing you and winning against you.

Precision is the name of the game, even the simplest things have to be done with absolute precision and timing.
Foxes character is build around this, and its even more important because fox is so light and actually kinda gimpable in certain situations, so every mistake you make costs you so much, much more than it does with pretty much every other character.
In a high level match, every tiny little mistake you make with fox is a potential kill for your opponent.

"Whoops I was panicking and in the heat of battle I accidentally usmashed instead of utilted, instead of my utilt catching them and giving me an uair follow up to kill them, they were able to punish my usmash end lag with a kill move, instead of winning I just lost, because of one tiny little error I made under pressure, ****" - actually happened to me :<

practicing the simplest things can really go a long way to helping you tighten up your play, especially in high pressure matches where you will make way more mistakes than usual.
And by simple things I mean things like, hold shield, then drop shield and quickly turn around and jab/grab, do it as fast as you can without accidentally rolling, or jabbing in the wrong direction, or inputting a dash instead of just turning around, all simple mistakes that make a huge difference in what you want to happen in a match. Precision is what its all about.

BradLeeTee

Smash Cadet
I think the only technical thing that is exclusive to Fox is pivot FTilts. Learn when to use the high, low or middle angled FTilt at which percent and which follow up after gives u the most damage. The timing and precision of hitting with it is very strict because the hitbox behind Fox when he is using FTilt is very small and if u want to follow up a pivot FTilt with another one you'll need to an almost frame perfect input so u don't let the opponent air dodge or end up doing a pivot fsmash instead. I wouldn't say it's a very good approach option since u have to get so close to ur opponent which is unsafe but using it to punish a smash attack with a lot of shield push back or after a jab reset is a lot more rewarding than a dash attack or grab. Seriously I practice this for hours so if u want something to do in the lab I recommend this

Last edited:

potter5656

Smash Cadet
I think the only technical thing that is exclusive to Fox is pivot FTilts. Learn when to use the high, low or middle angled FTilt at which percent and which follow up after gives u the most damage. The timing and precision of hitting with it is very strict because the hitbox behind Fox when he is using FTilt is very small and if u want to follow up a pivot FTilt with another one you'll need to an almost frame perfect input so u don't let the opponent air dodge or end up doing a pivot fsmash instead. I wouldn't say it's a very good approach option since u have to get so close to ur opponent which is unsafe but using it to punish a smash attack with a lot of shield push back or after a jab reset is a lot more rewarding than a dash attack or grab. Seriously I practice this for hours so if u want something to do in the lab I recommend this
it is not frame perfect only the window is not that smasll its at leas 3 frames

Hattie

Smash Rookie
Yeah, Fox doesn't have a whole load of advanced techs, but to do even remotely well with him your fundamentals have to be rock solid. Timing your moves is much more difficult with Fox than most other characters, and the slightest mistake will often result in a heavy punish. He's a tough character to learn for sure, but the payoff is huge.

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
I aprreciate all this extra help :p I have clear understanding of the character more than before (all though I dont attend many tournaments I hate playing fox online simply because people lag. Am I the online one who experiences this?)

Top Bottom