• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teaming with an Ike in a couple weeks

OkinawaOldSchool

Smash Cadet
Pretty much what TBTC said.
Try to stay clear of Ike.
If you are both offstage recovering, try to let Ike go first, or use your UpB to float above the ledge.
Nothing worse than gimping your team-make.

Noa.

Smash Master
This was posted by UTD_Zac a while ago. It contains basic doubles advice and strategies for G&W. Read it well and use it.

G&W is the best teams partner, by far.

Some of my Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBKsruknvhc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTqLWxXLexQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDf_pMmGMS4

Really Short Version:
* Upsmash

Short Version:
1) Teammate Grabs -> Running Upsmash. This wins games.
2) Charge Upsmash. Use randomly
3) Spam UpB and uair. Don't get hit.
4) You = Port 1. Teammate = Port 4.
5) Pressure shields. This inevitably does damage.
6) 2v1: Corner them with Dthrows
7) 2v1: Be patient and watch carefully.

Long Version:
1) Upsmash. Teach your teammate to focus on getting grabs on opponents at 80%-95% then run Upsmash. By "teach" I mean your teammate needs to learn NOT to use his kill moves by grab the opponent under pressure. Grabbing = free kill. Using a kill move = maybe kill.

2) Upsmash a lot. Upsmash randomly near edges. It sounds silly but I can't tell you how many kills i have gotten this way. Also, Charge Upsmash all the way against an opponent's shield. This reduces his shield greatly. Allows for your bair and your teammates attacks to do damage.

3) Focus on not get hit with G&W by attacking every other attack instead. Don't play fast like a G&W normally does, instead mix in uair and UpB every other attack. This is very good in teams. UpB is a small constant source of damage. UpB and Uair both prevent the opponent from hitting you by stalling slightly. Also, run around a lot. Don't stall but just annoy the opponent with uair, upB, and running away for 2 seeconds.

4) Always use controller port 1 always. Teammate = port 4. With your teammate at port four you are less likely to kill them while they are holding the opponent. If you can't get port 1, be mindful of your spacing. If your teammate is snake, don't punish with Upsmash, instead use fsmash or a really well spaced dsmash.

5) General Strategy: Learn to work together with your teammate. When you are pressuring the opponent's shield with bair, your teammate can follow up with another attack. This applies enough shield pressure to reduce the shield and allow for a second bair turtle to follow up (or a grab).

6) 2v1: G&W cannot reliably grab-release the opponent on the ground. Instead use dthrow and have your teammate charge a smash attack on your left/right. By doing this you eliminate a rolling option. When you throw down, run the other way and shorthop, don't worry about a smash attack. W/e your opponent does at this point you can punish with a bair. Then your teammate can easily follow up with another attack.

7) 2v1: While your teammate is fighting by himself, jump up and down a lot. You are watching for two things: Your teammate to grab, which you run and Upsmash for kill, or your teammate to get hit by a kill move that sends him in your direction. The latter only applies if your teammate is fighting between you and the opponent (which he needs to learn to do). When your teammate gets sent flying your way respond with an uair wall to stop him from flying away

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
The above quote is not the case at all with Ike. If anything, it should be reversed.
Some of it doesn't apply due to the unique slow nature of Ike.

I still think all but #3 really applies. #3 is quite effective when your teammate can handle themselves, like MK. But Ike might have other issues of getting damage in.

Pressing the opponents shield with bair so your teammate can grab and you UpSmash is still quite viable.

Being port1 and your teammate port 4 is still good, because both your smashes and your teammates smashes kill at low percents, but yours are easier/faster in tight situations. After a lot of playing together you might find switching this up to work.

K 2

Smash Lord
Use my ikeachu combo. Ike's usmash -> G&W's usmash. It does like 35+% and it kills at like 60%. I pulled it off twice against Phloat and his friend in doubles. XD

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Let Ike take the ground you cover the air, pick a place with platforms where Ike can use his tilts and you can use your dair, uair, and u-smash well.
Team up, Ike and GaW could probably kill ridiculously low, you chose a good teammate.

Hai G&W boards
:)

Sachertorte

Smash Cadet
Yeah, just basically what everyone else is saying.

Listen to Oki, he knows his **** seeing how he's teamed with Slayn oh so many times.

I don't really know how many times they've made me look like a fool. xd

Top Bottom