• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunting For Glory: Your thoughts?

Jarb

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6167-0433
I don't taunt in for glory matches unless they do it first and I'm feeling like mocking them after a kill, or to greet a recurring player. A lot of characters have better things to do in that time anyway, like charging shots or turnip farming. I also used to SD if my opponent offed themself in a silly way, but the favour is rarely returned, so I just take it as a free kill. I'll back off if someone taunts at the start of the match as well, but if they taunt during a match, it's fair game to assault them.

Smash etiquette: serious business. Yeah, I'm not really fussed about what my opponent does at all though.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
DK's slo-mo downtaunt during the final frames of the match is a tradition that must be upheld.

Real talk, it's unsportsmanlike to taunt your opponent(even as a mental game) but it's even more childish to let yourself get angry. For Glory isn't a tournament. I don't taunt in tournament play because I respect my opponents(you usually know everyone in your scene). But online randoms? You gon get taunted.

generic.loser

Smash Rookie
To be honest, I think taunting before a match is a way to show respect and no hard feelings to whoever wins or losers, not to be overconfident or cocky. But taunting after a kill, good or bad, is a way of showing disrespect and being overconfident, and it really gets on my nerves.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
It really depends on the context and situation really.

I'll let someone taunt at the start of the match and will return it, but if they attack me during mine I'll often stop doing it and end up attacking them during theirs. I also try to follow my own rule of "You taunt, I taunt". I hardly ever use my taunts unless it's a moment I feel really proud of. Heck, sometimes I don't even taunt at moments that I feel like I should taunt at but refrain from doing so...

I feel like multi-taunting (doing it consecutively) is going a little overboard and just screams disrespect. You can't use the excuse "I do it out of habit" in my opinion if you're doing it that much. One thing that will always irk me though is an opponent taunting when they KO you and they're not only on their last stock, but also over 100% as well and you still have another stock left. It's like, what's there to taunt about? One good hit and you're done, and it's not like they really did anything overly amazing to begin with, right?

There's just not a reason for that when you're so far behind in the match.

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
I taunt when I lose stocks, not take stocks. I find taunts ok when an opponent takes a stock but if it was an sd or a link spam fsmash till it hits(in other words a very fished kill) I get mad. Especially when a player fishes for stylish kills such as spam falcon punch or run off dair every single time, taunting because it was "stylish" gets annoYing. If any Wii fit trainer out there teabags, shame on you, you should be doing push-ups.

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
I will only taunt if you are clearly taunting with malice. Because frankly bullies like you deserve it.

Kingofsmash9

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kingofsmash9
I'm trying to figure out how is taunting disrespectful??? I'm mean come on now it's smash bros!! I don't care if I do lose the fight if I knock you off I'm taunting. Lol that's the reason it's in the game anyways. If you get offended by it something is wrong with you and you probably take everything the wrong way. I love taunting it's really funny

SlickJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlickJ95
I'm a competitive person so I actually like it when people taunt at the beginning it gives me a small edge. I use the lag of my opponent's taunt to try and land some hits that will hopefully lead into combos.

The other reason is the more matches I can get in within short periods of time the more practice I'm getting. I understand FG isn't the best place for practice but sometimes it's the only place for it as there are times when people aren't online on Anther's.

I do my best against all players and I expect the same from the opponents I'm fighting.

In regards to whether taunting is offensive or not, I personally don't think so. If you land a kill and there's a taunt option the game is literally designed to allow you to do that, it's not like a modded exploit, I say go for it, you deserve to cheer for when you're doing well to pressure your opponents to do better. I think people with good sportsmanship wont get offended games are meant to be alternative realities, in Smash Bros. it's OK to taunt.
-
What I don't like that I try to get over is whenever my opponents change their names to silly things like "Rekt", it's people that do that, that make me wish they were more humble. Smash is a skill divisive game with a lot of people playing it and I play to get good, there's no need to send bad vibes for making trying to make an effort.

Last edited:

SlickJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlickJ95
So rekt is supposed to be offensive????? If it has a meaning to, I don't know what it is.
Rekt is wrecked misspelled (it's internet slang). When someone changes their name to this they're saying "I destroyed you".

Therista18

Smash Rookie
Just played a match recently with "vleeflo^tm" and it was ****. I got one stock from him with little mac. He played as mario. After he killed me, he did a taunt where Mario is big then small. I didn't get pissed at first, but the second stock, I SD'd and he still taunted. Like really dude? Next game as marth, still kills me by dunking me, then he taunts. I SD'd on purpose to change character and he still taunted. Played as another Mario, still got taunted twice and dunked twice. At that point I was pissed. Played as little mac again. 3ds lagging like crazy, he's comboing me, and I get dunked and taunted. It's so ******* rude when someone taunts after taking a stock from you by getting dunked. I never taunted when I took a stock from him. Well, I'm not playing smash 4 for another 6 weeks. ******* trolls and ********. Omfg!

Guidodinho

Smash Rookie
The thing I find most annoying is that you only get a limited amount of taunts at For Glory. I love it so much to taunt, have your opponent angrily stampede towards ya, and you're just barely able to get away in time, just for the thrill of the danger, though that's usually only fun when your opponent is at an equal skill level or higher (if it's a scrub then I believe ur really being a douche).

I also strongly dissagree with the people complaining about taunts when one SDs. Take Fox's 'come on!' or DK's classic "I dunno' taunts, those were like, tailor made for those situations.

Also, if I happen to play Greninja, I can't help it but at least once, try to hit the enemy with that little fountain of his (and quite often its just stupid enough that the opponent doesn't expect it and it actually works). And with megaman I often put on the leafshield and taunt right in their face while doing a bit of damage. If that doesn't work and I get punished: I get what I deserve and I don't complain. But if it does work, it feels like sweet-sweet victory (even if I end up losing the game).

And if I happen to play a lot of matches in a row with someone or come across an opponent from earlier, I often taunt as a greeting and the other guy usually does too (or just shoots me in the face while i do my dance).

Helios980

Smash Rookie
I use taunts often in For Glory to signify not only a good match, but to start a match as if to say "Let's make this a good one." It's (currently) the only form of communication on this game, so that's how I use it.

However, since taunting is... taunting, I figure some people will obviously take offense to it, so I'm curious; what do YOU see when you see someone taunting at the beginning of a fight, or after a death (theirs or yours)? I bring this up because I saw both sides of the argument in another thread but kinda wanted to discuss the topic by itself.
Taunting before a match is fine in my book. I don`t do it myself, but I`ll reciprocate if I see someone else do it.
If I get a really cool kill, or if my opponent`s leagues below me, I might taunt once.
If my opponent is a stock down, takes my first stock, and taunts, I will beat down on them mercilessly and taunt when I win.

Top Bottom