• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunting For Glory: Your thoughts?

Monjula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdrianMonjula
3DS FC
5215-1057-8129
I use taunts often in For Glory to signify not only a good match, but to start a match as if to say "Let's make this a good one." It's (currently) the only form of communication on this game, so that's how I use it.

However, since taunting is... taunting, I figure some people will obviously take offense to it, so I'm curious; what do YOU see when you see someone taunting at the beginning of a fight, or after a death (theirs or yours)? I bring this up because I saw both sides of the argument in another thread but kinda wanted to discuss the topic by itself.

Giizmo

Smash Rookie
I hate when someone taunts after taking a stock off with. but it's like in the most stupid way ever. Then I come back twice as hard and end up winning the game. It's like oh I'm at 200% and I hit you with a fair or something silly that really took no effort and then they taunt. It's like eh. I can understand doing a ditto or something but like idk that **** pisses me off.

Renanri

Smash Cadet
NNID
RuriAri
3DS FC
1049-1229-2048
I find it rude, to me it's like saying "GG EZ, GIT REKT", usually when it's done after your opponent takes a stock from you. I find it hilarious how some people have to do it after you die to them once. I don't know, perhaps I'm just being pessimistic, I expect nothing but trolls on online game modes and the internet... :facepalm:

Raijinken

Smash Master
When I see someone taunting at the start, I see a free moment to approach. Unless I'm Robin, then it's a free moment of charging Thunder.

Since there's no more irritating "You're too slow", taunts are just funny animations.

NivinyaFate

Smash Cadet
NNID
Fate684
3DS FC
2423-4511-5468
I wouldn't say I take offense to taunting, but I do find it rude. There's no way of knowing what the other person's intentions are so I just take it for what it is, a taunt. If it wasn't for people here posting things like you said about using it as a way of friendly communication I never would have considered that as a reason someone could be taunting, but I doubt the average person you run into in For Glory who taunts uses it like that.

To me, you show more respect for the other player by not taunting, especially since taunts are so common (at least in my experience), and not leaving after a single win/loss.

TheNin10doUltra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nin10doUltra
3DS FC
0259-0299-7386
Taunting is dumb imo especially when someone takes a stock, making it seem they're so good at the game when were playing the 3ds version Like hello? i just self destructed. Taunting at the start of the match is cool tho.

Last edited:

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
Really, i just have a habit of taunting after taking a stock. and i haven't really tried breaking said habit. :S

though when i get serious cause i've lost to someone before, i do it less for some reason, i suppose that it COULD show that i respect the opponent a little more. but really i mean nothing by it when i taunt. just something for me/my character to do while i wait for the opponent to re-spawn.

if people really frown upon this particular behavior, then i may try breaking this habit.

Spirst

When the other player is recovering onto the stage, I sometimes like to shadow sneak taunt so the animation is canceled by the shadow sneak and it hits them coming up on the ledge. Generally, the other player doesn't realize this is possible and the surprise factor gets them.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
I find it rude, to me it's like saying "GG EZ, GIT REKT", usually when it's done after your opponent takes a stock from you. I find it hilarious how some people have to do it after you die to them once. I don't know, perhaps I'm just being pessimistic, I expect nothing but trolls on online game modes and the internet... :facepalm:
I COMPLETELY agree with you. I find taunting to be rude and disrespectful. but there is nothing we can do about it. its pretty much as you said you've got to expect trolls.
Sometimes Its alright if you hit with a really difficult move like Falcon Punch or Warlock Punch then I can respect it but this is a rare exception.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Taunting is taunting. The entire purpose of taunting is to get people riled up. Being mad makes people not think as straight at they could.

In a competitive format, you do what you must to win. A good taunt after the opponent is KOed by you, or they SD is the perfect time. Because now the person is more angry, and they might play more aggressively.

Perfect for being a Rosalina player. :3

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I only taunt when I made a decent enough kill and there's enough time for me to finish before the guy respawns. Most of the time I just initiate "super tea bag time" because it's quicker and more effective. Disrepectful? Geez, man up! There's taunting in any game one way or another.

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
If I do something awesome (spike them with a hard-to-hit move) or do a good combo that ends in a KO I usually taunt. Taunting after doing that basically says "I'm awesome!"

Taunting after your opponent self-destructs however is pretty rude since you're basically saying "You suck!".

I find giving myself compliments is fair and if anything just makes me a bit ego/flashy. actually insulting your opponent however is a different thing.

But taunting is taunting. I don't usually have any problem with it even if they do mean it in a rude way :p

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I love it when my opponent taunts at the beginning of the match. Really gives the player a personality. However, if he/she taunts and I then taunt in response, it is just not acceptable to run over and attack before my taunt animation finishes :c

However, I usually find taunting to be in bad taste if you take a stock or win the match. I know they may not intend to be rude or mean, but sometimes that's the way I take it. Also, if I two stock you every single game without taunting, and then you manage to take away one stock and taunt, I will taunt when I finish the match :)

Also, taunting when someone SDs is pretty dumb, in my opinion. Although, if I've been playing with the same person for a lot of matches and they haven't been taunting, I don't mind if they taunt once or twice thereafter. It's almost like, Yeah we've been playing each other for a while now so we're friends and respect each other, so I see your taunts as mid match humor and I don't get riled up when I see you do them.

I've said it before, but if you take a stock and don't taunt, it just makes you seem like a classier person I guess :p

EDIT - To the people that spam "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES" and "I'M REALLY FEELING IT"; it was funny the first few times, but now it's just real old :p

Last edited:

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
I love it when my opponent taunts at the beginning of the match. Really gives the player a personality. However, if he/she taunts and I then taunt in response, it is just not acceptable to run over and attack before my taunt animation finishes :c

However, I usually find taunting to be in bad taste if you take a stock or win the match. I know they may not intend to be rude or mean, but sometimes that's the way I take it. Also, if I two stock you every single game without taunting, and then you manage to take away one stock and taunt, I will taunt when I finish the match :)

Also, taunting when someone SDs is pretty dumb, in my opinion. Although, if I've been playing with the same person for a lot of matches and they haven't been taunting, I don't mind if they taunt once or twice thereafter. It's almost like, Yeah we've been playing each other for a while now so we're friends and respect each other, so I see your taunts as mid match humor and I don't get riled up when I see you do them.

I've said it before, but if you take a stock and don't taunt, it just makes you seem like a classier person I guess :p

EDIT - To the people that spam "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES" and "I'M REALLY FEELING IT"; it was funny the first few times, but now it's just real old :p
That basically sums up what I wanted to say.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I taunt after lots of KOs. I'm fairly good so it's not like I'm taunting for nothing. Habit I guess. I really just don't care if someone taunts or not.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I learned to taunt after each kill in 64 and Melee, where it gave you a little bonus if you did it. It was pointless, but yeah.
I have fun because it's challenging managing to use a taunt only when the opponent can't hit you, it's a matter of timing.
I usually don't taunt with characters like Samus, with who I usually prefer to charge the beam.
To me taunting means nothing, I do it just because I don't like waiting XD
Sometimes I do it in order to remove the ability with Kirby.

I find it annoying when someone taunts after doing a self destruction, because it makes no sense; after losing a life, he taunts making himself still vulnerable; it's a wrong strategy that makes the whole fight useless.

I usually don't attack people who are taunting even if I can, because I don't like getting easy hits; also, I think he's trying to communicate something.
I attack people when taunting only if they are particularily annoying or stupid.

link2702

Smash Champion
in game taunts don't bug me, when people teabag, or troll by afterwards not taking the next match seriously at all and just stand doing nothing and/or just walking around, that bugs me, enough for me to report em afterwards. in game taunts are one thing, but if you decide to just be a douchebag and troll the next match after a strong win against someone, you deserve to be banned. Just leave the next match if you already know you're opponent can't handle you , don't be a **** about a win last match.

Last edited:

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Fighting games where you have to worry about whether or not you make your opponent mad?

I don't do it myself outside friendlies cause I already know "I'M BETTER THAN YOU" When they have to taunt every time they get a one up, and you're just like "/shrug killin' you is just tuesday to me." But I generally find em hilarious, especially on falcon, if you play as captain falcon and you don't taunt, you need a sense of humor.

AuraBreak

Smash Apprentice
Sorta pisses me off when my opponent taunts after I self-destruct, but oh well, it's pretty funny anyway.

You gotta play for the love of the game.

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
"Also, if I two stock you every single game without taunting, and then you manage to take away one stock and taunt, I will taunt when I finish the match :)"

"I've said it before, but if you take a stock and don't taunt, it just makes you seem like a classier person I guess :p"
This is my exact stance on Taunts....I'll be whipping some noob 2 stock after 2 stock while never taunting after kills yet as soon as they get a kill they taunt me. As soon as that 1st taunt comes out I go into Fury mode,trash them even harder and taunt every chance I get. I also dislike when I'm wrecking a player 10+ games straight and as soon as they cycle through all the characters, pick some OP character and win a match, they leave the room.

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
Disrepectful? Geez, man up! There's taunting in any game one way or another.
Yes there's taunting, but it means a lot whether you do or don't taunt against an opponent. It's sportsmanship. In my experiences, I consider taunting in matches as a "Hahah I'm better than you" kind of deal, as it should be, but the instant it turns into that, it turns less as an "Honorable duel" and more into a, well, dumb fight. I like competitive games, it's a test of skill between two fighters. A host of matches between me and a somewhat equal opponent is really fun, and taunting after every kill just sours everything for me.
To be fair, taunts in other games (Like Marvel vs Capcom 3, where taunting at the end of a match lengthens the end fight period until the taunt animation finishes) are far worse than Smash, in Smash taunts are tolerable, albeit annoying (And in the upper example, degrading and disrespectful). I do however, see no problem in taunting at the start of the match, I do enjoy starting matches with a Shulk "I'M REALLY FEELING IT", even if it leaves me open. That's something the opponent has direct influence on, they can attack me, or they can avoid it to give me a fair chance. I like those kinds of players, and I do similar on the occasion I see it being done. Think of it as a bow at the start of a fight, a "I respect you and you respect me, let's have a good fight".

In short, even though you're not "Directly" talking to the other player, it doesn't mean you can't communicate, through your actions and how you play the game. It can make or break an online experience.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The salt...

THE SALT...

:shaker:

Look, guys...

It's a feature in the game.

It adds some personality to the characters.

I mean it's fine if you don't wanna do it, but don't put other people down for doing it, or assume they are "rude".

Because at the end of the day, all that matters is that...

TheCrimsonFlash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4828-4417-3634
I have a few rules when it comes to taunting. As long as the player seems respectful and playing them isn't tedious I won't taunt. However, If I beat someone so bad I "break" their spirit and the next game they give up by walking around or KO themselves I'll spam "is that all?" Taunt to insult them. I also like being mean in ditto matches, taunting a lot.

Sure its antagonistic but since I don't get salty when people taunt me(just makes me want to dash into them) its a win win for me.

rolrctermaniac

Smash Apprentice
there are 2 situations where I taunt.
1) when I SD, because I like laughing at myself
2) when the opponent is roll spamming to the point where I cant help but BM them

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Taunting is taunting. The entire purpose of taunting is to get people riled up. Being mad makes people not think as straight at they could.
In general, in competitive play it's almost always the reverse. Try to find Street Fighter matches where someone taunts and then doesn't get blown up to a ludicrous degree. It's pretty true for Smash and other games as well, the commentators are always surprised to see a taunt, and then not surprised at all to see that person lose.

The common theory as to why taunting gets you killed is that it just makes your opponent want to win that much more, though it's possible there might be some deeper metagame aspect to it. If you taunt, you're revealing to your opponent that you feel confident, which is information about your mental state that they can use to their advantage in making reads.

In general, I guess you can feel free to taunt vs bad players, but against very good players history has shown that it almost never works out in your favour. If you're playing M2K, and you somehow took the first stock, don't taunt. Seriously. It's going to go on the youtubez.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I will taunt after every stock I take, just to add a little style to it. Also, it is a quick and fun way to pass the time while I wait for you to spawn. If you get butt hurt, then you seriously need to calm down.

I mean, I am not taunting to be rude or anything, it is just something I do religously. If I offend you, whatever, I don't even know you, nor can I hear you raging on your end. You taunt me, then whatever, because I do it all the time.

But if I rustled your jimmies by taunting you after taking a stock, you just gave me an edge. You get worked up, and you are gonna make more mistakes.

Also, I always love it when people taunt me when they land a "killing blow," only to have vectoring take a dump over their parade. It has happened to me a couple of times, and all I could do was laugh.

Last edited:

joetherocker

Smash Apprentice
I never knew a 2 second animation could cause so much fury.

I taunt after I get a KO because it's fun. Stop acting like it's some ultra serious fight to the death and not online mode of a video game.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
It's disrespectful.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I find taunting to be completely normal and expected.

What I find rude is teabagging, which I'm coming across more and more often.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I find taunting to be completely normal and expected.

What I find rude is teabagging, which I'm coming across more and more often.
Teabagging in for glory is just disgusting. That's the Internet for you though I guess.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I like to taunt at the beginning of a match, as a way to say "Hey, let's make it fun", or when I SD. As a Wario main, there's nothing better than a taunt that allows you to laugh at yourself.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I taunt and the start of a match in the hope that Sonic's voice makes the other player SD twice. I love people who attack you whilst you're doing that at the start and then play Super Roll Bros 3DS to the other side of the stage. They're always terrible. I don't attack people when they taunt, or charge something, or anything like that. I just use that time to show off.

:093:

Volt@ge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Selybe
3DS FC
5112-4219-4625
I seldom taunt, unless I'm playing a character which is known to be light-hearted. For example, it should be illegal to start the first stock without first asking your opponent to show you their moves as Falcon.

Only times taunts begin to bug me are in repeated rematches. I'm not exactly a fantastic player, but if my opponent is simply outplaying me, I like to stay and learn from the experience; even at the expense of my W/L. It's a simple kind of respect, and it irks me slightly when you spam taunt after every stock you take off me when I already know you are the superior player.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I see taunting as more of an "Alright, I did it!" cheer rather than the "LAWL I'm better than you" thing that you guys see. Honestly I find it more disrespectful when they don't taunt, especially when my character hits the screen. That's like the ultimate time to taunt!
It adds personality to the game and the player and I find it dull when they don't taunt. That's just how I see it.
Also it warms my heart when people pick up on my tea bagging and tea bag me back. It's nice knowing I made a difference. :awesome:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Personally, I always taunt if I can when I take a stock off my opponent. It's just something I do ever since the Smash 64 days, I don't expect anyone to take it seriously. I honestly don't care if someone uses a taunt on me, it's just one of those things.

Top Bottom